PDA

View Full Version : So what is our strategery for guarding Wade???

Natston
05-13-2004, 02:42 PM
For some reason last night, it seemed that we were not going to let Wade shoot the three. Our defenders constantly played up on him (not to bump or grind him) but just so that Wade wouldn't shoot the jumpshot. Wade just burnt Tinsley, AJ or Ron because they played up on him and he blew right by them. Our defenders would leave their man just to keep Wade from getting the open jumper. One play in particular was when Aj left Alston wide open from three to double Wade, and Wade made the simple pass to Alston for the three pointer. Maybe I'm just going craz.........ier, and I'm just missing the big picture... :blush:

ChicagoJ
05-13-2004, 03:19 PM
interesting point.

And no, I'm not going to comment on your insanity. I'm a consultant, not a doctor. :P

But when you crowd a perimeter player, you're saying that its okay for them try to take you off the dribble but you're not going to give them a jumpshot. When you back off a perimeter player, you're begging them to shoot a jumper but you aren't going to let them get past you on the way to the basket. If you're about an arm's lenghth away, you're in the neutral position.

So if we're crowding Wade, it seems we're begging him to drive into the teeth of our defense. But if that's the case our interior defenders have been out of position or slow to rotate or whatever. We also seem to be forcing him to the middle. Perhaps we'd be better served if we forced him to the baseline?

I'd think we would back off of him and make him shoot over us, especially in Conseco.

Natston
05-13-2004, 03:25 PM
I'd think we would back off of him and make him shoot over us, especially in Conseco.

Exactly... :)

canyoufeelit
05-13-2004, 03:27 PM
Wade is just too fast, like Tony Parker in the Lakers/Spurs series. artest isn't going to stop him, jason kidd isn't going to stop him, gary payton isn't going to stop him, bruce bowen isn't going to stop him... instead, collapse around him when he goes into the paint... clog the lane and foul when he tries to penetrate. let him shoot from 20 feet out all he can. get a hand in his face everytime and it should be a done deal

DisplacedKnick
05-13-2004, 04:25 PM
I thought the Pacers gaurded Wade exactly right last night. Crowd the lane, make him a passer and make someone else beat you.

The problem was the horrible defensive rotations and defenders falling for the ball-fake every single time, leaving the perimeter players with warmup jumpers.