PDA

View Full Version : music at Pacers games - suggestions?

pb777
05-13-2004, 03:07 AM
What's up, it's about time I found a msg board like this! Thanks for putting me in the game Hicks. This really is a nice board, lots of good info and opinions. On to the point - Like I posted on another board,

"I'm the DJ inside Conseco at the Pacers games. I go by DJ Paul B at the games and by DJ Paul Bunyon elsewhere. This is a new position for me, and I am learning that it is difficult to please everyone with every song. The music I play during player warmups is specifically for the players, per JO and Al. The rest of the game is for the players and fans. I dont play music during the game, that is someone else. I just play 5 to 6 timeouts and quarter breaks. I am looking for suggestions of songs that you would like to hear at the games. Thanks for any suggestions you may have."

We've gotta bring it on Saturday, and those of you at the game have to make Conseco a nightmare for Miami by being loud and discractive during their possessions. (Just don't throw batteries, lol)

PB

able
05-13-2004, 06:25 AM
Hmmm :D

well i can only hear you over the radio when I am not bored with commercials, but hey :) i can make a few suggestions

start the game with "yes we can" (short outtake) Pointer Sisters, because I KNOW we can make it!
(there will be some funky remix somewhere, i go by the original because i'm old :D )

Ron made some stuff, maybe that gets him going :D

Rammstein: Feuer

post some more later when less people nag at me :)

PaceBalls
05-13-2004, 07:17 AM
Ya! play some of Rons music! though, I haven't heard much... I know he has a album out with canibus. Might be hard to find, but I'm sure Ron could get ya a copy ;)

indygeezer
05-13-2004, 08:01 AM
Hey can ya tell em to lose the race cars??? I refused to go for years because of those things. They are fake sounding, bush league, and hurt my ears. Other than that...the music I'll let the youngsters decide. (no, no Barry Manilow)

PaceBalls
05-13-2004, 08:06 AM
I love your quote by the butler coach geezer. Aint that the truth?

indygeezer
05-13-2004, 08:17 AM
I love your quote by the butler coach geezer. Aint that the truth?

I was at a father son banquet in a itty bitty country church when I saw/heard coach Hinkle utter those words. Musta been all of twenty of us there at the time. What an honor to meet him.

Crusher
05-13-2004, 08:22 AM
Here's a suggestion: get rid of DJ Paul B.

Not very original, and if he's got to go on line to figure out what to do at his job, well, he isn't really doing it that well.

DJ Paul B. is a boring distraction at Pacers Games.

He already did play some of Ron Artest's music.

He mainly just talks into the microphone, and showing the noise-o-meter.

Stryder
05-13-2004, 08:52 AM
Here's a suggestion: get rid of DJ Paul B.

Not very original, and if he's got to go on line to figure out what to do at his job, well, he isn't really doing it that well.

DJ Paul B. is a boring distraction at Pacers Games.

He already did play some of Ron Artest's music.

He mainly just talks into the microphone, and showing the noise-o-meter.

Constructive criticism my friend.

ChicagoJ
05-13-2004, 10:12 AM
Paul,

I'm glad you came over here a posted this question. I know you're just doing your job.

In theory, I'm opposed to the Pacers even feeling the need to have a DJ during a basketball game. Yes, I'm a hardcore basketball geek and Indy is supposed to the basketball capital of the world.

But that's not your issue; I've got no "beef" with you doing the job you were hired to do.

On the other hand, Jay's_Dad@Section222 announced during Game #1 of the Miami series that it might be his last Pacers game because he just can't stomach all the music and noise with the ball in play. It was enough when it was just time-outs, during the airplane race, etc. Dad's even more old-school than I am :rolleyes: . And to his credit, he likes BOTH types of music (Country AND Western) so maybe you could appease him and his types with an occasional hint of twang. :D

But if you're going to be there, please, please, please play Long Tall Glasses during the fourth quarter. If you don't have it, I'm sure Slick has an extra copy on 45 rpm he could let you borrow. :cool: Nothing says Pacers playoff basketball like Long Tall Glasses.

Now if you wanted your song selection to be 'all Springsteen, all the time,' well that would be fine by me but probably not the type of advice you should listen too. :D

DisplacedKnick
05-13-2004, 10:33 AM
First, ignore the idiot who doesn't think you should actually come out and ask the fans what they'd like. I thought it was refreshing myself.

Obviously, if you're playing quarter breaks & TO's your main goal is to get the home fans on their feet and loud, esp in the 4th quarter.

I've always been partial to AC/DC and similar sounds for that - something with a heavy bass that gets the blood pumping. It's not what I listen to at home but old stand-by's like "Thunder" are good.

I've always thought teams should contract with an artist to use a song to make a music video they can play before the start of games. Get a choreographer, players, interpose the song with scenes in the locker room, court action, etc.

I'll have to listen to some of my heavier stuff to come up with more specifics - I don't listen to hi-hop but solid, heavy rap also works. (Not the bubble-gum stuff)

MagicRat
05-13-2004, 11:27 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~magic_rat/PacersBulls3.jpg

I'll second Jay's suggestion of Long Tall Glasses. I'm guessing you'd be surprised at the reaction it gets.

ChicagoJ
05-13-2004, 11:39 AM
I'll second Jay's suggestion of Long Tall Glasses. I'm guessing you'd be surprised at the reaction it gets.

You're going to put Lonesome Day in your signature (Samantha wanted to watch the Barcelona DVD last night instead of Looney Tunes so I watched that while the game was TiVo'ing, Lonesome Day is very appropriate right now) but you're only going to back me on Long Tall Glasses? Now I feel betrayed. I was counting on at least one other vote. :(

BBBRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCEE!

:rockon:

BigMac
05-13-2004, 11:42 AM
Paul,

First of all, thanks for coming over here and asking us what we like. For the most part, the people who post here are Pacers purist. By that, I mean that we were brought up with things that we remember from when we (Pacers) were successful before.

I think you do a great job at doing what you do. I went to a Wizards game vs. Pacers last year and they had an emcee there. He was really good and the fans took a while to warm up to him but he has become something that the fans enjoy and look forward to at the Wiz games. So give it some time and you will become a staple in Conseco. Remember, people HATED Boomer when he first showed up and now look.

To answer your question from my point of view. I, too, would like to hear some music from yesteryear. Todd Rundgren (bang on my drum all day-the song that was played right after Smits hit his jumper against Orlando in the conference finals at the buzzer). Long Tall Glasses (you know I can dance...)isn't something that goes along with the music you play but it would be appreciated. Also, reference some old time things such as Dancing Harry and his "Wammy Stick". Things like that really get me going. Throwbacks are in and not just jerseys. Maybe some throwback music, throwback references, etc.

I appreciate your asking for input and I apologize for the classless people who posted previouisly with their classless comments. Good luck with everything and I look forward to hearing you Saturday. Go Pacers!!!!!!!!!!

pb777
05-13-2004, 12:16 PM
Able - I'll have to search for that Pointer Sisters. I think I remember it but it's been a long time since I've heard it. I'm waiting on Ron to give me a clean version of his new material that I can play in the arena. As soon as I get it, it's on...

Burtrem - Yeah the new mixtape with Canibus is kinda nice. He has songs on it with Nas and Mobb Deep too.

indygeezer - You stopped going to games because of Boomer's race car? I don't think they use those anymore, I havent seen them for a few months. No Barry? I did play Frank Sinatra the other night though...

Crusher - Not original? So there have been other DJ's there before me? I'm not posting here to "figure out what to do at my job", I'm simply asking the true real basketball heads what kind of music they would like to hear at a game. You have heard of "requests" before. Nevertheless, thanks for your point of view.

Stryder - Thank you

Jay@section222 - I cant help you with the music played during the actual game. That is someone else playing then, all of his selections are sanctioned by the NBA to be played during either offensive or defensive possessions. It seems to be the direction the NBA is taking the league - music played during possessions that it.
Can you tell me who made "Long Tall Glasses"? I'm open to try it out, just need to find a copy. Thanks for the suggestion!

DisplacedKnick - Thanks for your reply, it's good to know that somebody on this board thought it refreshing.
Those are my goals exactly - to hype the crowd late in the game. AC/DC works really well, especially late in the 4th.
Interesting idea of contracting with an artist. I like that.
The players really like the hard rap stuff too, it's the reason I play it during players warmups. Please post when you come up with more specifics, thanks...

pb777
05-13-2004, 12:26 PM
BigMac - Thanks for letting me come to this site and talk with other Pacers fans.
I agree with your post. A lot of people dont like "change" or "new", but in time may start to. I'm just grateful that I have this opportunity with the team, and I'm trying my best to make it work.
That Tood Rundgren song is awesome, best believe I'll play it this Saturday. Still trying to find out who made "Long Tall Glasses." Right on for your comments and suggestions, see you at the game this Saturday!

ChicagoJ
05-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Jay@section222 - I cant help you with the music played during the actual game. That is someone else playing then, all of his selections are sanctioned by the NBA to be played during either offensive or defensive possessions. It seems to be the direction the NBA is taking the league - music played during possessions that it.
Can you tell me who made "Long Tall Glasses"? I'm open to try it out, just need to find a copy. Thanks for the suggestion!

Its all good - I don't care for the strategy but they're trying to cater to the casual fans, not the hardcore geeks like myself. It is what it is, but I appreciate your desire to make the Fieldhouse 'electric'. What DJ doesn't take requests, BTW? I guess I didn't understand the personal criticism placed by some others on here.

Leo Sayer. Its a laughably-bad disco-era song that used to be a Pacers tradition.

Long Tall Glasses
I was travelliní down the road, feeliní hungry and cold
I saw a sign sayiní food and drinks for everyone
So naturally I thought I would take me a look inside
I saw so much food, there was water cominí from my eye

Yeah there was ham aní there was turkey, there was caviar
Aní long tall glasses, with wine up to yar

Aní then somebody grabbed me, threw me outta my chair
Said before you can eat, you gotta dance like fred astaire

You know I canít dance, you know I canít dance
You know I canít dance, you know I canít dance
I canít dance

I am a man of the road -- a hobo by name
I donít seek entertainment, just poultry and game
But if itís all the same to you, then yes I will try my hand
If you were as hungry as me then Iím sure you would understand

Hmmm
Now wait a minute
Let me see now

Of course I can dance of course I can dance
Iím sure I can dance, Iím sure I can dance..
I can dance

I can dance
I really hit the floor
Ah feels good
Look at me danciní

I did a two-step, quick-step and a bossa nova
A little victor silvester, and a rudy valentino
You should a seen me moviní, right across the floor
Hand me down my tuxedo, next week Iím cominí back for more

I can dance -- oh yes! I can dance
Look at me danciní the floor moviní
I feel good -- I can dance
I can dance, I can dance, I can dance.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000046PVJ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

EDIT - I might just make this my avatar. :laugh:

pb777
05-13-2004, 12:38 PM
Ahh! Thanks Jay, I'm going to start looking for it today. It helps that you even showed the cover, thanks again!

indygeezer
05-13-2004, 12:50 PM
If Long Tall Glasses don't rejuvenate Reggie nothing will! THAT SONG IS THE PACERS! IMO

The race cars I refer to are the loud *&^$#% race car engines they pipe in during certain times (varooooooomm) guess ya haven't noticed em...I went to a game here while back and they didn't use them at all the next time they did...must be spotty. But they still hurt my ears and are bush league.

oh if only they could bring back the original Dancin Harry...for just one PO game....the place would go nuts.

ChicagoJ
05-13-2004, 12:53 PM
Ahh! Thanks Jay, I'm going to start looking for it today. It helps that you even showed the cover, thanks again!

Surely somebody on the Pacers entertainment staff has the CD. I think it was played once during the NBA Finals, but its become waayy too much of a rarity at the games over the past decade.

Hicks
05-13-2004, 12:58 PM
Two questions:

1) I've seen for years now people use the term "bush league". Can someone please elaborate what exactly that is?

2) Is Dancing Harry the inspiration for the SImpsons episode "Dancing Homer"?

indygeezer
05-13-2004, 01:04 PM
Two questions:

1) I've seen for years now people use the term "bush league". Can someone please elaborate what exactly that is?

2) Is Dancing Harry the inspiration for the SImpsons episode "Dancing Homer"?

Ouch...ok I've used the term for years w/o really knowing for certain either. I've always thought it refered to the baseball minor leagues in some way..but :blush: Guess it's just an expression ya use. And I'm guessing you're right about Homer. (BTW how many know that he meaning Harry, was originally a Knicks fan and came over to the Pacers instead?)

Unclebuck
05-13-2004, 01:06 PM

Bush league: The league the Bush family used to play in. No, sorry.. ...Bush league means small time, or cheap.

Bush League is defined in Webster's as a small or second rate minor league.

Stryder
05-13-2004, 01:06 PM
I'm a metalhead so my suggestions would be some riffs of Metallica or AC/DC.

Thunderstruck by AC/DC is always an excellent choice. Or the opening to Hells Bells.

The opening riff to Seek and Destroy by Metallica is awesome.

Metallica's For Whom the Bell Tolls is also a good choice to play.

Doug
05-13-2004, 01:13 PM
First off, I'm a more old school guy who wouldn't mind it if there were no cheerleaders, no music, and no Boomer. Just basketball. I should probably start going to more college games, but I digress.

That said, I know that's not a realistic thing. It just wouldn't work with today's Pro crowds.

IMO, Paul B, you do one heck of a job. It's very tough to do what you do without being overly obnoxious. I haven't walked away yet going "I wish that guy would just shut up!"

I have walked away cursing at the plane race and the other "get up and yell for a freebie" things.

As for music, I am somewhat partial to AC/DC for that sort of thing. I don't mind the rap/hip-hop stuff. The only thing I don't like are the things we've heard a million times before - Bang on My Drum All Day and the ilk. Just keep it upbeat, keep it fresh.

Mr. Pink
05-13-2004, 01:57 PM
Hey man, I've gone to a couple Pacers games this year. The only complaint I have is the talking that you do.

At the games I was at, you just yelled...and at a constant tone. It was mono-tone the whole time.

I enjoyed the music played throughout the games, but maybe working on your voice would make the games that much more enjoyable.

Don't get me wrong, you do a fantastic job. I'm nit-picking.

Sactolover

Crusher
05-13-2004, 02:01 PM
Well, it's nice to see that only one opinion can be placed here. Listen, if this guy wants to put his business out for opinions, he better be ready for a range of opinions. I wasn't hateful, just flat out said what I think of the concept. I was not personal.

If having a dj at an event is original I would assume none of you have ever been to wedding.

I've seen and been to plenty of b-ball arenas that are very loud, and they did not have a dj working the timeouts.

I would much rather see the pa annoncer go and the rest of the crap that goes on at the game. But then you lose the pre-pubescent audience.

This, to me, is just another bad example of Pacers Inc. not knowing how to market this team to the city and state. And, also, further proof that the 'Basketball State" crap is just that: crap. Over the past few years this has turned into a high school sport state (notice the relative difficulty selling out playoff games for the Pacers and Colts).

And notice that most of the major networks here in town do a friday night football/basketball thing for a half an hour? Nothing like that devoted to the Pacers or Colts.

Hell, they even had one of the local TV sports guys sell out to the other team during the playoffs. Pathetic.

This Pacers team has little, if any, true identity.

Mr. Pink
05-13-2004, 02:17 PM
This, to me, is just another bad example of Pacers Inc. not knowing how to market this team to the city and state. And, also, further proof that the 'Basketball State" crap is just that: crap. Over the past few years this has turned into a high school sport state (notice the relative difficulty selling out playoff games for the Pacers and Colts).

And notice that most of the major networks here in town do a friday night football/basketball thing for a half an hour? Nothing like that devoted to the Pacers or Colts.

Hell, they even had one of the local TV sports guys sell out to the other team during the playoffs. Pathetic.

This Pacers team has little, if any, true identity.

Little off subject eh? :rolleyes:

Sactolover

TheSauceMaster
05-13-2004, 02:33 PM
Paul B like I said over at the Star Board I think you great and I am not of the old mindset , I will be 36 and I still Rock out to Old Rock , Alternative , Dance Music , Rap , Jazz and most anything and I think your doing a fine job.

I can listen to most anything , from Godsmack to Metallica , to Jay Z and DMX to yes even Barry Manillow and Elton John there just iisn't too much I don't like other than Country and I do like some Country even. I guess being a former DJ for many Years maybe I can tolerate more than most the older crowd can.

I think it's great your getting feedback from the fans and that's what a good DJ will do is some research , I Have been a DJ since I was 14 , at the local skating rink til about 21 then I moved onto the club scene til about 25 then I started my own company doing weddings and special events so I have seen a wide range of groups myself and it's really a tough task to please everyone and your not gonna please everyone no matter how hard you try.

Folks this is like going to a wedding or a dance place and asking the DJ to play a request , Paul B is taking in feedback and in all realty asking for request from the fans so he can do a better job and get a better feel of what people would enjoy more and this is a good thing. I know when I ran my DJ company whever I was doing a show I would always ask for a list of songs so I could get the feel of a crowd and a Idea of what they enjoyed and believe me it helped alot.

Anyways I will stop boring everyone and DJ Paul B you better Rock the House Saturday cause we need it man , I don't want a bit of Silence on Saturday I wan't the HEAT to go crazy from the noise in COnseco.

pb777
05-13-2004, 02:53 PM
Styrder - Thanks for your suggestions. I agree that Thunderstruck is an excellent choice. I'll look into the other selections you mentioned as well.

Doug - Sometimes we play songs like "We Will Rock You" and "Bang the Drum" b/c they always get a good response. They're "safe" to play, you know. But that's why I'm here, looking for other songs that the core Pacers fans like. Thanks for your support and comments.

Sactolover05 - You've noticed too? I've been working on that. The problem is that what I hear in my monitor and what is played in the house speakers are different. My mic sometimes sounds low in my monitor so I compinsate by screaming, which is a mistake on my part. It's been a learning experience for me thus far, and I hope to improve on that. If you are at the game this Saturday, please comment afterwards on how the mic sounded, that would be very helpful. I'll try to refrain from screaming, but I'm a Pacers fan too and sometimes I get carried away!

Crusher - I do respect your opinion, and am glad that you stated what you did. If I don't like something I'm not gonna say that I do or sugar-coat an explaination.
The "Basketball State" label is not crap, it's fact. Name one state more into basketball than Indiana. It's just that more and more people are falling in love with the sport, and the crowd is becoming more diverse. We have a broader audience to cater to in 2004. I hope that you will continue to support your Pacers.

pb777
05-13-2004, 03:00 PM
DJ Paul B you better Rock the House Saturday cause we need it man , I don't want a bit of Silence on Saturday I wan't the HEAT to go crazy from the noise in COnseco.

I plan on it! You better make sure that everyone in your section is loud as ***** so that Miami has nightmares of Conseco. This is our house and I'll be damned if they punk us in our house!

TheSauceMaster
05-13-2004, 03:11 PM
You can bet on it Paul B , Section 14 will Be Loud and Proud on Saturday :pepper: :dance: :pepper: :dance: :pepper: :dance: :pepper:

Btw I couldn't hardly talk after last game at home so I expect no voice by the end of Game 5.

:gopacers: :gopacers: :gopacers: :gopacers: :gopacers: :gopacers: :gopacers: :gopacers: :gopacers: :gopacers: :dj: :dj: :dj: :dj: :dj: :dj: :dj: :dj: :dj: :dj: :dj: :dj: :gopacers: :gopacers: :gopacers: :gopacers:

canyoufeelit
05-13-2004, 03:17 PM
good question, a lot of teams have some interesting music choices when it comes to the heavy stuff. i noticed the san antonio spurs were rocking some dream theater at the start of the 2nd half of one game... but that wouldn't quite fit this team quite the same way

anyway, most arenas play music during play for about 20 seconds before fading out... rage against the machine would probably be good for this... wake up, killing in the name of, know your enemy, etc. - just basically turn it down before zach starts screaming vocals. zwitter by rammstein would also be nice... going into timeouts, nothing can be better than a some repetitive daft punk. Alive or Face To Face would be cool

Also you MUST play "She thinks my tractor's sexy" 5 times a game no matter what.

pb777
05-13-2004, 03:27 PM
Also you MUST play "She thinks my tractor's sexy" 5 times a game no matter what.

Not gonna happen, but thanks for the idea, lol!

canyoufeelit
05-13-2004, 03:30 PM

Not gonna happen, but thanks for the idea, lol!

it would drive the other team nuts, but then again it probably would drive anybody nuts

Crusher
05-13-2004, 05:48 PM
Name one state more into basketball than Indiana.

Heard of New York or Chicago? Where people pay more attention to it, are smarter fans, and actually play it on the playground.

ChicagoJ
05-13-2004, 06:11 PM

Heard of New York or Chicago? Where people pay more attention to it, are smarter fans, and actually play it on the playground.

Feel free to remove Chicago from your list. I'll consider NYC, but not this barren wasteland of basketball knowledge that is presently my home. This might be somewhat of a college basketball town, with all the Big-Ten bars in Lincoln Park and such, but I've yet to meet any Chicagans that are into the NBA. Sure, they were all on the bandwagon in the 1990's, but they were nothing more than that.

New York's fans aren't necessarily smarter than the Pacers fans, but they just have an enormously large base of smart fans. Chicago? Nope. If, during my first three years up here, I could have found a single person to talk about the NBA with (not even the Pacers, just the NBA in general), then I wouldn't have come looking for Pacers Digest last summer.

Suaveness
05-13-2004, 06:25 PM

Feel free to remove Chicago from your list. I'll consider NYC, but not this barren wasteland of basketball knowledge that is presently my home. This might be somewhat of a college basketball town, with all the Big-Ten bars in Lincoln Park and such, but I've yet to meet any Chicagans that are into the NBA. Sure, they were all on the bandwagon in the 1990's, but they were nothing more than that.

New York's fans aren't necessarily smarter than the Pacers fans, but they just have an enormously large base of smart fans. Chicago? Nope. If, during my first three years up here, I could have found a single person to talk about the NBA with (not even the Pacers, just the NBA in general), then I wouldn't have come looking for Pacers Digest last summer.

People in chicago no longer care about the NBA. Like my roommate. :(

Hoop
05-13-2004, 06:58 PM
Anything AC/DC and you can't go wrong, but I think you've done a great job already. I think the crowd has responded in a positive way. :rockon:

The noise level at Conseco is still a big disappointment compared to MSA, not sure if it's the buildings acoustics or the corporate owned seats that real fans no longer sit in.

What I'd really like to see them get rid of, is the 2 annoying chicks that do the fan games at timeouts. :mad:

pb777, welcome to the planets best Pacers Forum. :gopacers:

Pig Nash
05-13-2004, 07:20 PM
One of my favorite songs is The Distance by Cake. I think it would be good but its a little weird for a game. I also like Get out the way (MOVE), Can't Stop by Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Toxicity by System of a Down.

For Toxicity, you should probably just play the opening music.

Roaming Gnome
05-13-2004, 07:21 PM
Actually, You are doin' one hell of a job up in the DJ booth. I love the album scratchin' and such. As far as music goes, I like what you're doing, so just do what you do. My only beef is what sactolover mentioned about screaming into the mic, but you are on top of that. Hey, Rome was not built in a day and I know that you'll get that down. Anyway, isn't the guy running the sound boards suppose to give you an assist if you are comming across the house too heavy? Also, no matter how much you were to scream into the mic, it is not as bad as Cat Sadler's voice as MC. Too high pitched for that job. IMHO, of course!

I just hope they don't pull the plug on you because no one wants to give you a chance. I get so tired of listening to BOTH local drive time sports talk shows giving you grief because it is something they are not use to.

Rock the House Saturday!!!

:boomer:

MSA2CF
05-13-2004, 10:43 PM
"Beat It" by Michael Jackson.

No, seriously. :)

I've got a couple questions, Sir Paul. Where do you hail from, and more importantly, what is your favorite NBA team? ;)

MSA2CF
05-13-2004, 10:46 PM
"I Get Knocked Down" by Smashmouth.

"I'm a Believer" by Smashmouth or The Monkees. (It would seem to be an appropriate song around the message board right now. :D)

Suaveness
05-14-2004, 01:57 AM
"Beat It" by Michael Jackson.

No, seriously. :)

I've got a couple questions, Sir Paul. Where do you hail from, and more importantly, what is your favorite NBA team? ;)

Heck, even Billie Jean :dance:

Or Bad :dance:

Peck
05-14-2004, 02:46 AM
I thought it was funny the last home game when you called yourself DJ Paul Bunyon. I'm sure that was an accidental slip of the tongue.

Look I'm realistic about the music, I realize that what I would want to hear in the fieldhouse is not what the rest of the crowd would really want to hear.

However there are some songs that are traditional Pacers music that the team has somewhat gone away from over the last couple of years.

One has already been mentioned but the importance of that song to the franchise cannot be overemphasized. Long tall Glasses by Leo Sayer for some reason is very closely associated with the ABA Pacers. The best time to play that song is in the fourth quarter when the game is close or after a huge three by Reggie.

But there are other songs that are somewhat also joined to the franchise.

1. Looking for Axsom (I do not know the artist)
2. Don't stop me now (Queen)
3. Party up (DMX)

All three of them were associated with the 90's teams.

Now if your looking for my opinion of some songs that might connect with the locals.

1. Rock Box (Run DMC)
2. Higher (Creed)
3. Blue (I don't know the artist but yes, it's that stupid song that you are thinking of, like I said I'm not picking these for me necassarily)
4. Tarzan Boy (Baltimora) ;) Ok, I kidding about that one.

Roaming Gnome
05-14-2004, 07:34 AM
3. Blue (I don't know the artist but yes, it's that stupid song that you are thinking of, like I said I'm not picking these for me necassarily)

Blue is by the techno group "Eiffel 65"

Yo listen up
Here's a story about a little guy that lives in a blue world
And all day and all night and everything he sees is just blue like him
Inside and outside
Blue his house with the blue little window and a blue corvette
And everything is blue for him and himself and everybody around
Cause he ain't got nobody to listen...

I'm blue da ba dee...

able
05-14-2004, 07:44 AM
BLegh, working streak kept me to busy, even my bed send me an sms to ask whether it could find employement elsewhere or if i cold at least send someone round to do some dusting :D

If you want a copy of Long Tall Glasses (if you can burn your own cd that is) then let me know and i will get it ready for you.

I wil still make some more suggestions, but only when i find some time, after all the game is tomorrow :)

indygeezer
05-14-2004, 08:41 AM
I'm more into Toby Keith and Reba McIntire......no, huh?

Ever hear of a song called "How do ya milk a cow?" by the Parodies? It's hilarious and when the HICK smack starts it'd be fun to pull out.

(just jerkin' witcha)

I'm really not into the new music, even my kids (early teens middle-class white-folk) even their music is too much for me.

I mentioned the other day how the P's early years used to bring in high school pep bands to play...got small communities involved in the Pacers and built state-wide interest. COurse it meant 30-40 seats they had to give away instead of sell but they thought it was worth it then.

TheSauceMaster
05-14-2004, 09:36 AM
I thought it was funny the last home game when you called yourself DJ Paul Bunyon. I'm sure that was an accidental slip of the tongue.

Actually it wasn't a accident , that's his name that he uses DJ Paul Bunyon

"I'm the DJ inside Conseco at the Pacers games. I go by DJ Paul B at the games and by DJ Paul Bunyon elsewhere.

Peck
05-14-2004, 09:44 AM

"I'm the DJ inside Conseco at the Pacers games. I go by DJ Paul B at the games and by DJ Paul Bunyon elsewhere.

Re-read your quote there. He goes by DJ Paul B at the games but goes by Bunyon elsewhere. Hence, it was an accident when he slipped up & called himself that there at the game.

ChicagoJ
05-14-2004, 10:12 AM

Didn't you just prove that it was an accident?

I'd love an opportunity to cross-examine the witness, your honor.

MagicRat
05-14-2004, 10:15 AM

You're going to put Lonesome Day in your signature (Samantha wanted to watch the Barcelona DVD last night instead of Looney Tunes so I watched that while the game was TiVo'ing, Lonesome Day is very appropriate right now) but you're only going to back me on Long Tall Glasses? Now I feel betrayed. I was counting on at least one other vote. :(

Oh, I'm with you on the Bruce, too.......:rockon:

In conjunction with the Trophy Love commercials I'll take "She's The One."
If the Pacers happen to lose along the way, I'll have "I Wish I Were Blind". (Honorable mentions to For You, Ain't Got You, All or Nothin' at All, Crush on You, I Wanna Be With You, Roll of the Dice, So Young and in Love, Man at the Top, When You're Alone, My Best was never good enough (for Shade)).

Other than those I'd take a Prove it All Night, Ramrod, Cadillac Ranch, Lonesome Day, Badlands, Held up without a gun, From Small Things (Big Things one day come), Waitin' on a Sunny Day, Kitty's Back, Pink Cadillac, No Surrender, Land of Hope and Dreams, Leap of Faith, Light of Day, The Ties that Bind, Sherry Darling, Don't Look Back, Adam Raised a Cain, etc., etc..............

ChicagoJ
05-14-2004, 10:33 AM

Oh, I'm with you on the Bruce, too.......:rockon:

In conjunction with the Trophy Love commercials I'll take "She's The One."
If the Pacers happen to lose along the way, I'll have "I Wish I Were Blind". (Honorable mentions to For You, Ain't Got You, All or Nothin' at All, Crush on You, I Wanna Be With You, Roll of the Dice, So Young and in Love, Man at the Top, When You're Alone, My Best was never good enough (for Shade)).

Other than those I'd take a Prove it All Night, Ramrod, Cadillac Ranch, Lonesome Day, Badlands, Held up without a gun, From Small Things (Big Things one day come), Waitin' on a Sunny Day, Kitty's Back, Pink Cadillac, No Surrender, Land of Hope and Dreams, Leap of Faith, Light of Day, The Ties that Bind, Sherry Darling, Don't Look Back, Adam Raised a Cain, etc., etc..............

That's better. But really, Rat, I give you a softball pitch and you still swing and miss. :P

Paul, I've always thought that Springsteen's cover of the Detroit Medley (from No Nukes, which is an official, not "bootlegged" release so you won't get in trouble that way) would be signficantly more fun than the standard version of Devil with a Blue Dress / Good Golly Miss Molly that's been played 324,246,605,486,879,329,448,288,329 times.

pb777
05-14-2004, 02:07 PM
BLegh, working streak kept me to busy, even my bed send me an sms to ask whether it could find employement elsewhere or if i cold at least send someone round to do some dusting :D

If you want a copy of Long Tall Glasses (if you can burn your own cd that is) then let me know and i will get it ready for you.

I wil still make some more suggestions, but only when i find some time, after all the game is tomorrow :)

That would be great if you could shoot me the mp3. I'll pm you my email address, thanks!

pb777
05-14-2004, 02:20 PM

That was an accident! I never said that, you didnt hear it :D

grace
05-14-2004, 02:43 PM
Because I refuse to admit that I like the same music as indygeezer I have another suggestion. Since Reb has been known to DJ weddings from time to time how 'bout he does the music and Paul takes his place on the PA. :highfive:

rabid
05-14-2004, 03:27 PM
PB, this is a bit off-topic but I'm curious...

How are you playing the tunes when you're DJing, and how does the set-up make its way into the PA system?

I notice you're using turntables but folks are mentioning the use of mp3s... are you playing records, or are the turntables just props? Do you have a cd player? Are you using Final Scratch?

And who's running the sound board? Do they give you cues so you know when it's your "turn" to take over the PA system, or it all that set up in advance?

Just curious... I'm an electronic musician myself, so I'm a nerd when it comes to this stuff... :)

indygeezer
05-14-2004, 04:31 PM
Because I refuse to admit that I like the same music as indygeezer I have another suggestion. Since Reb has been known to DJ weddings from time to time how 'bout he does the music and Paul takes his place on the PA. :highfive:

Grace...it is well that you admit your inner self. With truth, the blossom that is you can flourish. Let the truth flow Grace. Embrace the truth and allow yourself to become one with those who are true geezers. :meditate:

:guitar: :boomer: :guitar:

grace
05-15-2004, 11:32 AM

Grace...it is well that you admit your inner self. With truth, the blossom that is you can flourish. Let the truth flow Grace. Embrace the truth and allow yourself to become one with those who are true geezers. :meditate:

:guitar: :boomer: :guitar:

:wave: :zip:

MSA2CF
03-27-2005, 09:36 AM
So did Long Tall Glasses ever get played?

Anthem
03-27-2005, 05:04 PM
You know what I'd love?

During the playoffs, if the Pistons do something REALLY classless in our house, and one is in the process of getting ejected, I'd love for PB to say over the speaker "Ladies and gentlemen... that's DETROOOIIIIT BAAASKETBAAAALL!

rabid
03-27-2005, 05:25 PM
You know what I'd love?

During the playoffs, if the Pistons do something REALLY classless in our house, and one is in the process of getting ejected, I'd love for PB to say over the speaker "Ladies and gentlemen... that's DETROOOIIIIT BAAASKETBAAAALL!

:devil:

Hoop
03-27-2005, 05:26 PM
You know what I'd love?

:laugh: Love It, but I'd say PB would get in trouble and we don't want that.

How about something premixed, repeating : Die Stern Die, Die Stern Die or Burn Detroit Burn. :devil:

pb777
03-27-2005, 05:37 PM
:laugh: Love It, but I'd say PB would get in trouble and we don't want that.

How about something premixed, repeating : Die Stern Die, Die Stern Die or Burn Detroit Burn. :devil:
WHOA!!!
http://djpaulbunyon.com/new/phpBB2/images/smiles/zoekezoef_dead1.gif http://djpaulbunyon.com/new/phpBB2/images/smiles/zoekezoef_dead1.gif http://djpaulbunyon.com/new/phpBB2/images/smiles/zoekezoef_dead1.gif :zip:

pb777
03-27-2005, 05:39 PM
MSA2CF - I have played that, but not lately. I'll play it probably at the last home game this season, and again in the playoffs.

Lord Helmet
03-27-2005, 05:41 PM
WHOA!!!
http://djpaulbunyon.com/new/phpBB2/images/smiles/zoekezoef_dead1.gif http://djpaulbunyon.com/new/phpBB2/images/smiles/zoekezoef_dead1.gif http://djpaulbunyon.com/new/phpBB2/images/smiles/zoekezoef_dead1.gif :zip:
Yeah, your dead if you said that. Commisoner Stern would be angry and we don't like him when he's angry....:uhoh:

Based on DJ Paul Bunyon's past beahavior, the decision was unanimous 1-0.That PB is suspended for the rest of the year.

Hicks
03-27-2005, 10:51 PM
Extra stuff has been split to the shout box.

SoupIsGood
03-27-2005, 10:51 PM
Astral Projection, I have heard of them before. What type of music are they? I noticed he said Trance, is that a type of music nowadays?

3ptmiller
03-27-2005, 11:58 PM
Its just funny how everybody in here dislike hiphop/rap/r&b music.. my post even got removed!

Hicks
03-28-2005, 12:00 AM
Its just funny how everybody in here dislike hiphop/rap/r&b music.. my post even got removed!

Your post and the direct responses are on the Shout Box forum elsewhere on PD.

3ptmiller
03-28-2005, 12:04 AM
Your post and the direct responses are on the Shout Box forum elsewhere on PD.

Ahh! my fault.. aight then on my way to teh shoutz0r box :)

Eindar
03-28-2005, 01:40 AM
The longevity of the classics at Pacers games is what has always amazed me. A lot of the songs they play are very obscure and outdated, but it just wouldn't be a Pacers' game without them. "Shout" and the one talking about "not wanting to work or play, I just want to bang on the drum all day" have been played at MSA for as long as I can remember. Do other stadiums do this, or is it just an Indiana thing?

Bball
03-28-2005, 01:53 AM
The longevity of the classics at Pacers games is what has always amazed me. A lot of the songs they play are very obscure and outdated, but it just wouldn't be a Pacers' game without them. "Shout" and the one talking about "not wanting to work or play, I just want to bang on the drum all day" have been played at MSA for as long as I can remember. Do other stadiums do this, or is it just an Indiana thing?

No idea... but... I noticed MSG using a lot of organ music when the Pacers last played there (Knicks). And of the stuff played, I heard the theme from Green Acres when the Pacers had the ball. :lol:

I have to admit I got a chuckle out of that.

-Bball

grace
03-28-2005, 11:21 AM
The longevity of the classics at Pacers games is what has always amazed me. A lot of the songs they play are very obscure and outdated

Those of us who are outdated and obscure like it that way.
:dancingba

Dukins
03-28-2005, 01:21 PM
Paul B. How can i get a hold of one of your cd mixes? BTW I Like The Music

pb777
03-28-2005, 01:29 PM
Hit up my site: www.djpaulbunyon.com

or check out my eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/PBMIX-by-DJ-Paul-Bunyon_W0QQsspagenameZMEQ3aFQ3aSTQQtZkm

Thanks!

MSA2CF
03-28-2005, 01:58 PM
MSA2CF - I have played that, but not lately. I'll play it probably at the last home game this season, and again in the playoffs.

Sounds great. :thumbup:

cramerica
03-28-2005, 02:04 PM
I've never understood why Korn's "Blind" doesn't get played more at any sporting events. The opening sequence of "Are you READY!!" is freaking awesome and I think that would get the crowd going.

BTW, I have been to one Pacers game at Conseco and I don't think you were there, so I've never heard your stuff before, but I think it's cool that you can come on here and ask us for request. Hell, I think it's cool that you've found this site. Maybe you could pass this site on to Donnie and Larry or some of the players. That way we could talk to them. Are you even close to any of them?

Vicious Tyrant
03-28-2005, 05:33 PM
Hey DJ Paul B or Paul Bunyan or whatever,

I love you coming here and asking for opinions.

Would you ever consider playing some dramatic opera music after big shots? It sure wouldn't be bush league, and I don't know that its ever been done before.

Some great dramatic ones would be:

Amor ti vieta from Giordano's "Fedora"
Nessun Dorma from Puccini's "Turandot"
O mio babbino caro from Puccini's "Gianni Schicchi"

These are easy ones to find on any "opera's greatest hits" type collection.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I think it would be very cool and distinctive.

Does anyone remember that great NBA ad that just showed Mark Jackson pass to Reggie for a shot? It was played in slow motion with dramatic classical music (or something, I forget exactly what) in the background. In some ways the drama of it can be more exciting than banging your head (or whatever kids today call it).

LAPacer
03-28-2005, 05:59 PM
PB, Can you play Dancing Queen the every time Ben Wallace has the ball.

Since86
03-28-2005, 06:06 PM
Hey PaulB, I was checking out your site and noticed your cds were $10. Considering the usual cd prices. What's your favorite 3 albums you put out?

MSA2CF
03-28-2005, 06:09 PM
Mr. B., I like the link to PD on your page there. Very kind of you.

But I do have to say I don't like that hat you've got there...(Sox fan here :cool:...)

Hicks
03-28-2005, 06:46 PM

:lmao:

Vicious Tyrant
03-28-2005, 06:55 PM

That would be so funny, I'd crap a brick.

I don't actually know what that means, but man it'd be funny.

Bball
03-28-2005, 07:23 PM
I'll let PB777 give you the official answer on playing songs after a made basket or whenever Ben Wallace has the ball BUT I think he's going to tell you his domain is -only- before the game and during timeouts, not while the ball is in play (I don't remember if he plays anything for an outro(after the game)).

-Bball

Hicks
03-28-2005, 07:31 PM
OK, then I'll rephrase. Paul, can you kindly SUGGEST to whomever is in charge of sounds during play to play a clip of that song when he has the ball? :devil:

3ptmiller
03-28-2005, 08:02 PM
OK, then I'll rephrase. Paul, can you kindly SUGGEST to whomever is in charge of sounds during play to play a clip of that song when he has the ball? :devil:

Hey hicks, what is Pollard saying there on your avatar? :D

PacersandIU
03-29-2005, 12:56 AM
Yo DJ Paul B! you need to play some Relient K (especially Sadie Hawkins Dance something) they're like 10x better than Bowling for Soup...that or the new Akon song, that's not bad

Stryder
03-29-2005, 07:52 AM
Yo DJ Paul B! you need to play some Relient K (especially Sadie Hawkins Dance something) they're like 10x better than Bowling for Soup...that or the new Akon song, that's not bad

Isn't Bowling for Soup one of those horrible cookie-cutter pseudo-rock, wannabe-punk bands out there now?

grace
03-29-2005, 10:51 AM
Hey hicks, what is Pollard saying there on your avatar? :D

"He started it."