PDA

View Full Version : Oden is the 2nd best player on his team.

PacerMan
02-01-2007, 09:45 AM
And the best is also a freshman. And also went to high school with Greg Oden.
You can have Oden. (though he'll be great)

Give ME, Mike Conley. He's the best pg in the Big 10 hands down. As a freshman. The guy is going to be a great pg for a lot of years.

Robertmto
02-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Conley is a product of Oden, always has been, always will be.

PacerMan
02-01-2007, 12:44 PM
Conley is a product of Oden, always has been, always will be.

LOL, how much you wanna bet?
Conley will be a lottery pick and an all star for many years.
He MIGHT be a lottery pick if he came out THIS year.

Robertmto
02-01-2007, 12:46 PM
That's rich. Thanks for the pick me up.

Lorenzen Wright was a lottery pick too. lol

PacerMan
02-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Ok, you dont' judge talent. Lets move on.

Robertmto
02-01-2007, 12:54 PM
A good college career does NOT equal a good NBA player.

Look at your boy Dial (i believe) from last year.

PacerMan
02-01-2007, 04:48 PM
A good college career does NOT equal a good NBA player.

Look at your boy Dial (i believe) from last year.

Well, you see, SOME people can judge talent ASIDE from how well someone does in college. As for "my boy" Dial, I'm not a Buckeye fan, but rather a Boilermaker that went to the game last night and saw Conley (for the 3d time) with my own eyes. And you can take to the bank that he will be the first PG taken WHENEVER he comes out.

Try WATCHING the guys play. :)

croz24
02-01-2007, 05:34 PM
lol. conley is anything but a purely a product of oden. watched many games of conley's? did you watch o$u at all this year while oden was out? you watch any ln games when oden was out? you see conley win mvp of aau tournemants in high school without oden? conley is without question the best pure pg in the nation and maybe the best overall.

dgranger
02-01-2007, 05:59 PM
Ok look, Conley is good. He also will be in the NBA, and possibly have a nice career. Honestly though, last night Oden was in foul trouble and didn't get to make an impact. Not to mention he showed up like 1 and 1/2 hours before the game due to a friends death. Another point is Conley dose not have enough range to be a 8 time all star or whatever. Oh yeah, and Oden is shooting with his off hand.

v_d_g
02-01-2007, 06:13 PM
Conley needs to get some touch ---plenty of quick dudes that can distribute out there. Don't these guys ever practice shooting?

If not for Conley (Jr and Sr, see below), Oden might've committed to IU ---IMO

And it recently came out that Mike Conley Sr. will be Oden's agent when he turns pro.

Go Figure

obnoxiousmodesty
02-01-2007, 08:33 PM
Mike Conley Jr. will be a fine point guard in the NBA someday. Will he be one of the top point guards? I honestly don't know. He has good basketball instincts and can pass the ball very well. He does need to work on developing a more consistent jump shot. His upside--after all, he's only a freshman--is still very high.

LG33
02-01-2007, 09:09 PM
Odom is the definitely the best player on the team! Oh, did you say Greg Oden? I thought we were talking about Lamar, my bad.

PacersFan83
02-01-2007, 09:31 PM
You folks have to take into account Oden's defense. That's basically his bread and butter.

I'd still take Oden #1, yes over Kevin Durant.

Durant = 28/8/3 assists
Oden = 21/13/4 blocks

tdubb03
02-01-2007, 09:35 PM
I know the final score's deceiving, but Purdue played Ohio State pretty tough. I was impressed with Landry (I'm already his biggest fan). He made a lot of tough post shots over Oden, despite giving up 7 or 8 inches. I guess he is a 5th year senior going against a freshman though. They played Wisconsin tough to in Madison.

PacerMan
02-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Conley needs to get some touch ---plenty of quick dudes that can distribute out there. Don't these guys ever practice shooting?

If not for Conley (Jr and Sr, see below), Oden might've committed to IU ---IMO

And it recently came out that Mike Conley Sr. will be Oden's agent when he turns pro.

Go Figure

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, yeh, he's down to 50.5% for the year........................

Cobol Sam
02-01-2007, 10:38 PM
I was under the impression Oden's dominate hand isn't 100%. Isn't he still wearing the brace on it? Considering that handicap one might assume Oden is the best player on that team.

PacerMan
02-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Ok look, Conley is good. He also will be in the NBA, and possibly have a nice career. Honestly though, last night Oden was in foul trouble and didn't get to make an impact. Not to mention he showed up like 1 and 1/2 hours before the game due to a friends death. Another point is Conley dose not have enough range to be a 8 time all star or whatever. Oh yeah, and Oden is shooting with his off hand.

I'm not talking about his game LAST NIGHT! He was impressive but not marvelously so. And Oden wasn't in foul trouble till late in the half. They just don't pass the ball to him!
Conley has PLENTY of range and he WILL be an all star. I said it here first.

Kegboy
02-01-2007, 10:46 PM
On Matt Painter's TV show, when they previewed OSU, he passed by Oden and went on to rave and rave about Conley. He said, "He plays like he's 30 and has been in the NBA for 8 years."

I'd have no problem trading the Pacers roster for theirs straight up. Sure, they'd suck for a few years, but you can do worse than building around Oden, Conley, and Cook. I like Butler, too.

PacerMan
02-01-2007, 10:49 PM
The things I've seen and heard about Conley are what lead me to say he will be an all star. NOT what I've seen on the court, though certainly that is very impressive all by itself.
Forget that he can break down his defender at will offensively, going either way with either hand. And that he's shooting over 50% WHILE leading the Big 10 in assists for the #4 ranked team in the country AS A TRUE FRESHMAN. No, it's the intangibles that make him so good. I've seen him rated as the best pg in the Big 10, best GUARD in the Big 10, and Purdues coach, Painter called him the headiest PLAYER in the entire league. As a freshman............
If he comes out, I want him. Yeh, Oden will have the bigger league impact because he's 7' and plays like Bill Russell. Oden is a physical freak and has great basketball skills for a young big man, but he's got lots of room to grow in skills and shot. Of course you'd take the big guy if you could, but we can't, SO.
Let em fight over him, sneak in and grab Conley if you can.

Robertmto
02-02-2007, 02:19 AM
Eric Gordon > Mike Conley

Did you see him tonight? He damn near outscored the other team by HIMSELF

rexnom
02-02-2007, 08:07 AM

Thank you! Then again, I might be biased since I went to NC...

bambam
02-02-2007, 08:24 AM
Ok, you dont' judge talent. Lets move on.

Well maybe you should be a scout for an NBA team than whatever your current occupation is. Apparently you have the eyes for great talent. Being a Purdue fan that you are, didnt everyone think Glenn Robinson was going to be a superstar? Sure he played a long career in the NBA and really that is an accomplishment, but he was NEVER a superstar.

IMO, you can say this person or that person will be a superstar. But, until they play in the NBA, no one will ever truley know if someone will be a superstar. There have been way to many colllege superstars turn out to be the avg NBA player.

Strany
02-02-2007, 08:29 AM
Gordon is maybe, well most likely the best guard to come out of Indiana since the Big O. Eric is a slightly bigger version of Ben Gordon. He can flat out score any way you like. Very soon there will be alot of very good players in the NBA that went to High School in Indiana.

As far as Conley, well I kind of always thought he was riding Odens coat tails
but he is a fine guard in his own right, will play in the NBA and be a starting PG. All-Star I don't know, but he has a very solid all round game.

travmil
02-02-2007, 09:24 AM
As far as Conley, well I kind of always thought he was riding Odens coat tails...

I thought that too. When you're in high school, superior talent almost alsways wins out. Playing with Oden who was truly a man among boys in high school makes the whole team look like world beaters. When they went to Ohio State, I figured Conley would fade into tha background. He's done anything but that. I'm not gonna predict great things to come for him just yet, but he has been impressive both with and without Oden against competition FAR superior to what he faced in high school.

DisplacedKnick
02-02-2007, 09:32 AM
Conley's done a nice job as a freshman and considering Oden missed the first 10 or so games and has been a one-armed player since he's come back I think it's safe to say it isn't all about Oden with him.

But talk about him being the first PG picked if he came out this year is goofy. Reminds me of when some IU fans were talking up AJ Guyton as a lottery pick and future superstar. Goofy.

Conley MIGHT become a lottery player in a couple more years (though I wouldn't bet on it) but I doubt he'd be drafted if he came out this season.

dgranger
02-02-2007, 10:27 AM
I'm not talking about his game LAST NIGHT! He was impressive but not marvelously so. And Oden wasn't in foul trouble till late in the half. They just don't pass the ball to him!
Conley has PLENTY of range and he WILL be an all star. I said it here first.
What about the fact that Oden wasn't there for shootaround or the fact that he was shooting with his off hand. I am by no means dissing Conley, he's a great player. It is just simply stupid to say that he's better than Oden.

FlavaDave
02-02-2007, 11:45 AM
We talk about how cool it would be to have the Indiana-raised Oden on the PAcer's squad. With our hole at point guard and the likelyhood that Conley will not be a top-10 pick when he comes out, how about Conley as a Pacer?

Just a little something to tuck under your hat.

Strany
02-02-2007, 12:30 PM
We talk about how cool it would be to have the Indiana-raised Oden on the PAcer's squad. With our hole at point guard and the likelyhood that Conley will not be a top-10 pick when he comes out, how about Conley as a Pacer?

Just a little something to tuck under your hat.

I centainly could live with that, I would love to get either Oden or Gordon, but it will be very unlikely since both will be top 5 picks.

It will be really interesting to watch how Conley develops after Oden leaves.
That wil be a real sign of just how far he can go.

Pacersfan46
02-02-2007, 12:35 PM
It will be really interesting to watch how Conley develops after Oden leaves.

These guys are best friends, and have been playing on the same team since middle school, maybe before. I really doubt 1 is going to leave and the other is going to stay. Everywhere you turn you hear that Oden loves college, and so I wouldn't exactly go expecting him to leave.

Right now, I'd say Conley is the more "talented" player at this moment. However, if Oden ever gets an offensive game, which could come around with the use of his better hand .... then Oden should be the much better player. He's a rarity, a big man who's legit 7 feet, and can defend the paint very well. Time will tell though.

-- Steve --

Strany
02-02-2007, 12:45 PM
These guys are best friends, and have been playing on the same team since middle school, maybe before. I really doubt 1 is going to leave and the other is going to stay. Everywhere you turn you hear that Oden loves college, and so I wouldn't exactly go expecting him to leave.

Right now, I'd say Conley is the more "talented" player at this moment. However, if Oden ever gets an offensive game, which could come around with the use of his better hand .... then Oden should be the much better player. He's a rarity, a big man who's legit 7 feet, and can defend the paint very well. Time will tell though.

-- Steve --

Well I'm 50/50 on whether Oden will vault, it will be really tough to turn down being the #1/2 pick in the draft. He continues to say he is staying though so we will see. Conley either way is a 3/4 year player.
It would be a huge mistake for him to try to make the jump before that.
I think he needs to prove to Scouts/GM's that he can play at the next level without Greg.

DisplacedKnick
02-02-2007, 01:52 PM
These guys are best friends, and have been playing on the same team since middle school, maybe before. I really doubt 1 is going to leave and the other is going to stay.

You think Oden's gonna tell whoever drafts him that he won't sign unless they draft Conley too?

Since86
02-02-2007, 03:22 PM
Greg is gone after this year. Conley is going to stay.

It wasn't how I envisioned meeting him, but I sat down and talked with Greg this week at Travis' funeral for about 20+mins, a lot of it not about basketball obviously.

And the report that Conley Sr. is going to be his agent isn't correct. Up until Sat. night he was wanting Travis to switch his major and become his agent.

PacerMan
02-02-2007, 06:52 PM

Gordon>HIGH SCHOOL boys
Next year? Maybe. Maybe not.
Conley=doing it NOW for a top 10 team, as a freshman.
Not saying Gordon won't be special. I've heard he will be.
I"ve SEEN that Conley will be.

dgranger
02-02-2007, 06:55 PM
I wouldn't carve it in stone that Oden will be in the NBA next year. Although the odds are high, he said and I quote "it will be a tough choice (NBA or college) that I will make after the season is over."

PacerMan
02-02-2007, 06:57 PM
Well maybe you should be a scout for an NBA team than whatever your current occupation is. Apparently you have the eyes for great talent. Being a Purdue fan that you are, didnt everyone think Glenn Robinson was going to be a superstar? Sure he played a long career in the NBA and really that is an accomplishment, but he was NEVER a superstar.

IMO, you can say this person or that person will be a superstar. But, until they play in the NBA, no one will ever truley know if someone will be a superstar. There have been way to many colllege superstars turn out to be the avg NBA player.

I thought that Glenn would be an all star a few times, but I didn't think he'd be a superstar. He was a power player in college, that didn't translate at the next level with his size and build, where he wimped out and became a jump shooter.

Do you really think I was saying "I KNOW"??? :)
It's the internet dude! it's MY OPINION!!!

But I am a darn fine judge of talent. :)

PacerMan
02-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Conley's done a nice job as a freshman and considering Oden missed the first 10 or so games and has been a one-armed player since he's come back I think it's safe to say it isn't all about Oden with him.

But talk about him being the first PG picked if he came out this year is goofy. Reminds me of when some IU fans were talking up AJ Guyton as a lottery pick and future superstar. Goofy.

Conley MIGHT become a lottery player in a couple more years (though I wouldn't bet on it) but I doubt he'd be drafted if he came out this season.

In a year or two you'll have been the goofy one for disagreeing. :)

PacerMan
02-02-2007, 07:02 PM
What about the fact that Oden wasn't there for shootaround or the fact that he was shooting with his off hand. I am by no means dissing Conley, he's a great player. It is just simply stupid to say that he's better than Oden.

It's simply stupid to discuss whether Oden was there for the shootaround when we're discussing SKILLS.

And Conley has EVERY pg skill in the book (not NBA savvy stuff)

Oden does NOT have every center skill in the book AT THIS POINT. THough he WILL.

BlueNGold
02-02-2007, 08:00 PM
There's a lot of love on this board for a guard who averages only 9.7ppg (4th on the team), 66% from the line and under 30% from three point range.

If only he had dominant C to take off the pressure. LOL.

Robertmto
02-03-2007, 01:02 AM
Ohio State won't do anything come tourney time.

And I heard that Oden promised his mom he'd stay in school for at least 2 years.

BlueNGold
02-03-2007, 08:36 AM
And I heard that Oden promised his mom he'd stay in school for at least 2 years.

I wouldn't want to say anything derogatory about anyone's mom. ;)

I think one year of college will be helpful for him, but he's already emotionally mature and has the size and talent to produce in the NBA. Two years is just wasting a year of making millions....and risking the chance of ever making them.

bambam
02-03-2007, 09:10 AM
But I am a darn fine judge of talent. :)

like I said then you need to change of professions and get off the internet with your "darn fine judge of talent"

Robertmto
02-04-2007, 10:00 AM
I wouldn't want to say anything derogatory about anyone's mom. ;)

I think one year of college will be helpful for him, but he's already emotionally mature and has the size and talent to produce in the NBA. Two years is just wasting a year of making millions....and risking the chance of ever making them.

Education should be valued more in this country.

Since86
02-05-2007, 04:24 PM

His mom wanted him to go to the NBA, until the league mandated the year removed from HS rule.