PDA

View Full Version : ABA Team signs 7-9 Chinese Center

Mourning
02-01-2007, 02:52 AM
Ehmmmm...?

"Height of curiosity
Maryland ABA team signs 7-foot-9 Chinese center
Posted: Wednesday January 31, 2007 5:55PM; Updated: Wednesday January 31, 2007 6:14PM

Sun Ming Ming had trouble squeezing into the XXXXXXL sweat shirt his new team gave him.

CHEVY CHASE, Md. (AP) -- The "have size, will travel" basketball odyssey that's taken 7-foot-9, 370-pound Sun Ming Ming from China to California to Kansas to North Carolina made its latest stop Wednesday in the back room of a Chinese restaurant in this tony Washington, D.C., suburb.

That's where the Maryland Nighthawks of the American Basketball Association introduced their newest player, a man they're touting as the tallest in the history of professional basketball.

Sun donned a uniform with the number 79 -- Get it? -- and his new team's owner and coach and a teammate all gushed about his "basketball IQ" and "soft hands."

The 23-year-old -- who complained the XXXXXXL sweat shirt the team gave him was too small -- was asked what his goals are.

"I hope," Sun said, "I make the NBA some day."

To which Nighthawks owner and ABA chief operating officer Tom Doyle said: "I'm quite sure he will."

Really? After all, Sun hasn't played organized basketball in more than six months, since a brief stint with the Dodge City Legend of the United States Basketball League.

Turns out, the NBA doesn't overlook 7-footers.

"We will monitor his progress. His name has cropped up, but since he's never really played, I don't know how he can be on our radar," Marty Blake, the NBA's director of scouting, said in a telephone interview. "We would be interested in a player of some repute anywhere in the world, especially one who's 7-9. ... As [former Utah Jazz coach] Frank Layden always said, 'You can't teach height."'

Sun moved from his native China -- where he played on a second-division team -- to California about 1 years ago in hopes of making it in pro hoops. His career was put on hold last year while he had two operations for a pituitary tumor that led to his extraordinary size but threatened his life.

Sun said those procedures were successful and he's getting into shape. Doyle noted that his big addition needed extra training after taking time away from the court to shoot a fight scene in Jackie Chan's upcoming Rush Hour 3.

"That was very fun," Sun said.

Nighthawks coach William Rankin expects Sun to be able to play about 28-30 minutes a game; his debut comes Saturday. That will also be Rankin's debut with the Nighthawks -- he was hired about a week ago from a junior college team.

"When I interviewed for the job, I asked, 'Do we have a 7-footer?"' Rankin recounted. "And [Doyle] laughed and said, 'We have someone who's almost an 8-footer."'

Sun has been in town about 1 weeks, working out daily with Nighthawks guard Randy Gill, who said of his new center: "Every day, somebody's going to get dunked on."

Doyle is big on Bill Veeck-style marketing, and he's hoping to organize an exhibition game with nearly-as-tall-as-Sun former NBA players Gheorghe Muresan and Manute Bol to raise money toward Sun's more than $100,000 in medical bills.

Did the Nighthawks want Sun more for his ability to play basketball or to draw crowds (the team averages about 600 spectators in its 1,000-capacity Montgomery College gym in Rockville)?

"There's no question that having Ming here sells tickets," Doyle said. "But there also is no question that having him here is a huge presence in our middle."

Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/basketball/more/01/31/tallest.player.ap/index.html

Source: CNNSI.com

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Eindar
02-01-2007, 03:14 AM
I've seen youtube clips of that guy, and while he is absolutely monstrous, he makes Shawn Bradley look like Clyde Drexler.

Frostwolf
02-01-2007, 05:59 AM
He looks like he has trouble even running.

02-01-2007, 06:34 AM
Wicked how people who hold the shortest average for height have also the tallest people on earth... :einstein:

wintermute
02-01-2007, 08:17 AM
do you mean chinese have the shortest average height in the world? that seems to be a stereotypical and now outdated view. from wikipedia:

Asian populations were once thought to be inherently shorter, but with the increases in height in East Asian nations such as China and South Korea as diet changes, they have become taller.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height

in any case, sun ming ming's abnormal height is due to a pituitary disorder, like gheorghe muresan.

yao ming, though, doesn't appear to have had any pituitary disorder (his proportions are normal)

Shamboubou
02-01-2007, 09:45 AM
I think they had a thing on the Discovery chanel a few months back on this guy. He had something wrong with him that he didn't quit producing growing hormones so he just kept getting bigger and bigger.

I'm not 100% that its the same guy, but it looks like the same guy. The guy on Discovery was also over 7 ft.

FlavaDave
02-01-2007, 10:25 AM
do you mean chinese have the shortest average height in the world? that seems to be a stereotypical and now outdated view. from wikipedia:

in any case, sun ming ming's abnormal height is due to a pituitary disorder, like gheorghe muresan.

yao ming, though, doesn't appear to have had any pituitary disorder (his proportions are normal)

It's no freak accident that Yao Ming is so tall. He is the child of the tallest man and woman on the Chinese basketball team. The rumor is that the government forced or at least encouraged his parents to marry so that they would give birth to a huge-*** kid.

In either event, the government gave the Yaos money and free training to breed Ming as a basketball player from childhood. He reportedly hated basketball until his late teens. Weird.

There is a book about it called "Operation Yao Ming".

Here is an article about Yao and the circumstances of his birth & childhood:

http://www.time.com/time/asia/covers/501051114/story.html

Knucklehead Warrior
02-01-2007, 11:24 AM
I think they had a thing on the Discovery chanel a few months back on this guy. He had something wrong with him that he didn't quit producing growing hormones so he just kept getting bigger and bigger.

I'm not 100% that its the same guy, but it looks like the same guy. The guy on Discovery was also over 7 ft.
That's him. He has serious foot problems that drastically restrict his mobility. Imagine wearing shoes 5 sizes too small all your life and you get the idea. This guy either can or almost can dunk without leaving the floor. And yes, a one-on-one against Bradley would be very painful to watch.
:laugh:

Moses
02-01-2007, 01:11 PM
He looks like he has trouble even running.
I don't think he could even play more then half a season. Looks like he's going to blow out one of his knees just setting up for a rebound. He's really slow, but I can see him as a nice bench guy on a team if he develops some quickness and becomes more of a hard-nosed player.

AesopRockOn
02-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Average Chinese male height is 5'7".

Robertmto
02-01-2007, 03:06 PM
where are you guys seeing video of him?

Major Cold
02-01-2007, 04:46 PM
"I hope," Sun said, "I make the NBA some day."

To which Nighthawks owner and ABA chief operating officer Tom Doyle said: "I'm quite sure he will."

There is no way this guy makes a lucrative career in the NBA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOKnw6p1qC0

The dude can barely dunk!!!! He has like a negative 42 inch vertical

Major Cold
02-01-2007, 04:49 PM
I don't think he could even play more then half a season. Looks like he's going to blow out one of his knees just setting up for a rebound. He's really slow, but I can see him as a nice bench guy on a team if he develops some quickness and becomes more of a hard-nosed player.

He could have been in the NBA like 10 years ago with Bol. Bradley is cat like quick compared to Sun. His hook would get blocked by Yao all the time. His footwork is nonexistent. The NBA is too quick for him. He is 10 years too late

Major Cold
02-01-2007, 04:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx6EP-kxOg4

dude missed a dunk on Jimmy Kimmel...Yeah he is NBA bound

BlueNGold
02-01-2007, 07:26 PM

Don't believe everything you read on wiki.

aceace
02-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Sun Ming is only 23 yrs old. Looks like he's 63 when running. Nice guy though, he was somewhat funny on Jimmy Kimmel. I don't see him ever taking an NBA court for a real game though.

Robertmto
02-02-2007, 02:21 AM
just watched the Jimmy Kimmel thing - LMFAO

wintermute
02-02-2007, 02:48 AM
Wicked how people who hold the shortest average for height have also the tallest people on earth...

Average Chinese male height is 5'7".

Don't believe everything you read on wiki.

i never questioned that the average height in china is less than in the us. but shortest in the world? data please.

the point i wished to make is that height and nutrition are known to be linked, so much so that in population studies, height is often used as a predictor for nutrition. in fact, studies suggest that all human "races" have the same growth potential, given equal nutrition.

ok, i was lazy to use wikipedia as a reference, but here's another link that says essentially the same thing:

http://depts.washington.edu/nutrpeds/faq/assessment/race.htm

for those of a scholarly bent, there are paper references at the bottom of the linked page

-----

none of the above has anything to do with sun ming ming or basketball of course...

but i would like to point out, that given china's exceptionally large population, it is in fact NOT surprising that china has a number of people with rare attributes. Statistics virtually guarantees it.

DisplacedKnick
02-02-2007, 11:49 AM
i never questioned that the average height in china is less than in the us. but shortest in the world? data please.

the point i wished to make is that height and nutrition are known to be linked, so much so that in population studies, height is often used as a predictor for nutrition. in fact, studies suggest that all human "races" have the same growth potential, given equal nutrition.

Being somewhat anal, there are isolated groups, such as the African pygmies, who are genetically incapable (for most individuals of these groups) of growing to "normal" stature. Part of the natural selection process for the environment they developed in. They've developed a genetic dwarfism.

Overall however, your point stands - dietary protein levels in childhood is the major determining factor in adult height.

Pacers#1Fan
02-02-2007, 04:51 PM
How can you be 7'9" and miss a dunk?! he should get it without even jumping!

Roy Munson
02-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Some NFL team needs to hire this guy and teach him how to stand right behind the defensive line with his hands straight up in the air on PAT's and FG's. I think he could be effective and blocking kicks, altering kicks, and getting into the heads of the kickers.

Seriously, this would work.

Roy Munson
02-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Does anyone know if goaltending is allowed in the NFL? You could put a big giant guy like this right in front of the goalposts when the other team was attempting a long field goal so he could bat it away if it was going to be one of those squeakers that barely gets over the bar.

FlavaDave
02-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Does anyone know if goaltending is allowed in the NFL? You could put a big giant guy like this right in front of the goalposts when the other team was attempting a long field goal so he could bat it away if it was going to be one of those squeakers that barely gets over the bar.

What about international basketball? Goaltending is legal, right?

Slick Pinkham
02-09-2007, 06:03 PM
What about international basketball? Goaltending is legal, right?

Just offensive goaltending.

Check out him on the Today show. He can't dunk!

http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=D8DD8968-EA33-4415-A49E-FD71941E6B05,E22FB686-F137-4970-B90B-9B07A3A97582&t=m17&f=06/64&p=Source_Today%20Show&fg=&GT1=9033