PDA

View Full Version : Granger Joins Sophomores For All-Star Event

able
01-31-2007, 07:31 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/granger_sophomores_070131.html

Granger Joins Sophomores For All-Star Event

NBA News Release | New York, Jan. 31, 2007 Toronto Raptors forward Andrea Bargnani, the first overall selection in the 2006 NBA Draft, and Milwaukee Bucks forward Andrew Bogut, the first overall pick in the 2005 NBA Draft, lead a list of 18 players selected to play in the 2007 T-Mobile Rookie Challenge & Youth Jam on Friday, Feb. 16 at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas.

The participants in the T-Mobile Rookie Challenge & Youth Jam were selected by the NBA’s assistant coaches, with each team submitting one ballot. The head coaches for the Rookie and Sophomore teams will be the lead assistants from the 2007 NBA All-Star Game coaching staffs.

The T-Mobile Rookie Challenge & Youth Jam will be televised live nationally on TNT and also will be broadcast live on ESPN Radio, while NBA.com will make live audio available to fans in multiple languages.

Joining Bargnani on the Rookie team this year are the Los Angeles Lakers’ Jordan Farmar, the Minnesota Timberwolves’ Randy Foye, the Toronto Raptors’ Jorge Garbajosa, the Memphis Grizzlies’ Rudy Gay, the Utah Jazz’s Paul Millsap, the Charlotte Bobcats’ Adam Morrison, the Portland Trail Blazers’ Brandon Roy and the New Jersey Nets’ Marcus Williams.

Teaming with Bogut on the Sophomore team are the Los Angeles Lakers’ Andrew Bynum, the Golden State Warriors’ Monta Ellis, the Charlotte Bobcats’ Raymond Felton, the Indiana Pacers’ Danny Granger, the Houston Rockets’ Luther Head, the New York Knicks’ David Lee, the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets’ Chris Paul -- the 2005-06 T-Mobile Rookie of the Year -- and the Utah Jazz’s Deron Williams.

If any rookie or second-year player is selected to play in the All-Star Game on Sunday, Feb. 18, he also will play in the T-Mobile Rookie Challenge & Youth Jam on Friday evening.

As title partner of the Rookie Challenge and overall NBA Rookie Program, T-Mobile has teamed up with NBA Cares to create the T-Mobile Rookie Challenge & Youth Jam, a unique opportunity for Las Vegas youth to experience NBA All-Star 2007. During the event, thousands of T-Mobile Huddle Up All-Stars, representing the Clark County School District, Boys & Girls Clubs of Las Vegas and After-School All-Stars programs, will watch the game from the best seats in the house and fill the lower bowl of the Thomas & Mack Center. In order to qualify for the program, middle school students, between the ages of 11-15, from all over the Las Vegas Valley pledged their commitment to leadership, community service, reading, and citizenship.

In last year’s contest, the Philadelphia 76ers’ Andre Iguodala scored a game-high 30 points on 13-of-17 shooting to lead the Sophomores to their fourth straight win over the Rookies, 106-96. He was named Most Valuable Player after scoring 24 of his 30 points in the second half. Chicago’s Ben Gordon added 17 points in the win. The Toronto Raptors’ Charlie Villanueva and the Houston Rockets’ Luther Head led the Rookies with 18 points each.

This is the eighth year of the rookie-sophomore format, with the Sophomores leading the series 5-2. The game will be played in two 20-minute halves, with each team allowed one full timeout and one 20-second timeout per half. There will be one mandatory television timeout in each half. Individual foul totals will be kept, but a player cannot foul out. A team will be in the penalty situation after 10 team fouls or after the second foul in the final two minutes of each half. In the event of a tie game, there will be a two-minute overtime to determine the winner. The Clock will stop after each successful field goal in the last minute of each half.

For the third consecutive year, NBA.com will provide basketball fans with the opportunity to have their vote count toward selecting the MVP of the T-Mobile Rookie Challenge & Youth Jam, as part of the site's exclusive NBA All-Star 2007 coverage.

The NBA All-Star Game on Sunday, Feb. 18, will air live on TNT and ESPN Radio beginning at 8 p.m. EST. The game will also be telecast in over 200 countries and broadcast on NBA.com.

Eindar
01-31-2007, 07:56 PM
This could be the most lopsided Rookie-Sophomore game in history.

Evan_The_Dude
01-31-2007, 08:02 PM
Maybe Deron Williams will pass Granger the ball this year.

AesopRockOn
01-31-2007, 08:43 PM
Shawne should be out there before Garbosa(?).

maragin
01-31-2007, 08:54 PM
Shawne should be out there before Garbosa(?).

Shawne's played in 18 games, with averages of 2.1 points, 0.9 rebounds, and 0.3 assists, and 0.1 steals.

Garbajosa has played in 42 games, with averages of 8.4 points, 5.2 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.2 steals.

Shawne hasn't played much. Garbajosa has been a solid contributor all year.

What reason would the committee that picks the rookie-sophomore game have to put Shawne in there over Garbajosa?

bulldog
01-31-2007, 09:40 PM
In fact, with as weak as the rookie class has been, Garbajosa could potentially be rookie of the year. His numbers aren't great, but neither are anyone elses, and he's contributing to his team as much as anyone else. This rookie class is not very good.

dgranger
01-31-2007, 10:19 PM
I know he hasn't played much, but Daniel Gibson of the Cavs has been a solid contributor. Also he just won the starting PG job. It may have only been Eric Snow, but hay he's a rookie. Danny will light it up with 28 points, 7 rebounds, and 5 3's.

imawhat
02-01-2007, 02:19 AM
I'm glad Danny made it. I was wondering if he would.

Will Galen
02-01-2007, 02:59 AM
What I found so interesting is the players listed positions. This was taken off of RealGM so I don't know how accurate they are. I thought Roy and Head were shooting guards, but I don't know how their teams are using them.

The point I wanted to make was there are a lot of teams in the league with young point guards. I wish we would get one! And no I don't mind that the Pacers passed on some points in the last draft.

There were
2 centers
4 Power forwards
3 small forwards
9 point guards
0 shooting guards

ROOKIES
PF 7'0 Andrea Bargnani
PG 6'2 Jordan Farmar
PG 6'3 Randy Foye
PF 6'9 Jorge Garbajosa
SF 6'8 Rudy Gay
PF 6'7 Paul Millsap
SF 6'8 Adam Morrison
PG 6'7 Brandon Roy
PG 6'3 Marcus Williams.

SOPHOMORES
C 7'0 Andrew Bogut
C 7'0 Andrew Bynum
PG 6'3 Monta Ellis
PG 6'0 Raymond Felton
SF 6'9 Danny Granger
PG 6'3 Luther Head
PF 6'9 David Lee
PG 6'1 Chris Paul
PG 6'3 Deron Williams

It will be interesting to see if the Soph coach puts a team of PG's on the floor together, being as there are 5 listed. Also with just 4 bigs 'Range' should get a lot of time.

http://www3.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/44486/20070131/bargnani_and_bogut_lead_rookie_challenge_teams/

rexnom
02-01-2007, 03:40 AM
Danny is probably going to start once again at SF.

Robertmto
02-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Roy and Luther are both playin the 2.

MaHa3000
02-01-2007, 08:14 PM
I think Granger could end-up MVP of that game.

PacersFan83
02-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Looking at the rosters, he should definitely get big minutes, 30+.

Shack80
02-01-2007, 08:32 PM
I would rather he not in a meaningless mid season game.

LoneGranger33
02-01-2007, 08:35 PM
I hope he scores 40. Realistically, I expect him to get 12.

Naptown_Seth
02-02-2007, 02:22 AM
I hope he scores 40. Realistically, I expect him to get 12.
12 touches, 4 FGAs you mean.

Felton and Paul are playing, right? And this is an all-star game right? End of story. If you aren't a mega-star or a scoring PG you typically get snubbed from the action.

Changes from last year:

C 7'0 Andrew Bogut
C 7'0 Andrew Bynum
PG 6'3 Monta Ellis
PG 6'0 Raymond Felton
SF 6'9 Danny Granger
PG 6'3 Luther Head
PF 6'9 David Lee
PG 6'1 Chris Paul
PG 6'3 Deron Williams

Robinson (starter), not on the team. Frye (starter) not on the team. Cabbages, not on the team. Villanueva, not on the team. That's a 44% turnover, and so much for Charlie V being better than Danny.

How good is that draft pick that far down to have the guy make both the rookie and sophmore game, probably a starter both times?

Of course David Lee is a really strong pick too - 30th and look at him now.

Hicks
02-02-2007, 09:52 AM
Villanueva, not on the team. That's a 44% turnover, and so much for Charlie V being better than Danny.

Uh, Seth, the guy's been out for the season almost the entire year; that's hardly fair to him.