PDA

View Full Version : Why So Much Credit For Artest and Oneal When...

Millerartest
05-12-2004, 11:41 PM
1) Their second halves paled in comparison to their first.

2) This game was lost on the defensive end, not the offensive, and a very critical play was Wade blowing by Artest and then getting a foul and the bucket against Oneal who was afraid to get posterized. Not that the one play determined the game, but it was indicative of the team's defensive effort.

3) Why didn't Oneal want to challenge Odom on defense? Why did Artest wait until Wade already had fifteen free throws to give him a try? Where's the leadership on the defensive end?

4) Why did Butler and Odom combine to shoot 17-26? Granted, they weren't guarding those two, though Ron is usually on Butler, but that almost cancels off their offensive explosion.

5) Jermaine Oneal plays more minutes and gets outrebounded by Grant once again? Six rebounds!!! He's averaging 8 in the playoffs. Why aren't his rebounding numbers going up? I bet most of the other MVP candidates are.

6) Once again, the game was close down the stretch, and once again, when it counted, they were far too quiet.

sweabs
05-12-2004, 11:44 PM
Why did Artest wait until Wade already had fifteen free throws to give him a try?

Let's hope its the last time too...

Unclebuck
05-12-2004, 11:48 PM
You can't put Artest on Wade for two reasons.

1) he won't do that good a job on him. Wade is too quick.

2) it would destroy all the other matchups. I don't want Tinsley on Jones and Reggie on Butler.

ROCislandWarrior
05-13-2004, 03:23 PM
5) Jermaine Oneal plays more minutes and gets outrebounded by Grant once again? Six rebounds!!! He's averaging 8 in the playoffs. Why aren't his rebounding numbers going up? I bet most of the other MVP candidates are.

Seriously, I think this point deserves it's own thread.

What happened to our rebounding? I think this points to the fact that the Heat are giving it their all while we put in 75% effort.

Natston
05-13-2004, 03:31 PM

Seriously, I think this point deserves it's own thread.

What happened to our rebounding? I think this points to the fact that the Heat are giving it their all while we put in 75% effort.

I think it's due to the fact that the Heat are shooting more from the outside than the inside. The jumpshots are leading to longer rebounds and Brian Grant is playing mostly 15 feet from the basket on offense. Plus they have a very athletic team that can chase the long rebounds. It also doesn't help in the fact that Carlisle wants the team to race back and screw getting offensive rebounds.

Stryder
05-13-2004, 03:44 PM

You're right.

Garnett's averaging 16.25 boards per game in the last four games.

Shaq's averaging 14.25 boards per game in the last four games.

Duncan's averaging 10.25 boards per game in the last four games.

Ben Wallace is averaging 15.25 boards per game in the last four games.

JO is averaging 7.75 boards per game in the last four games.

There is something to those numbers....