PDA

View Full Version : IF we win this series...

Shade
05-12-2004, 11:37 PM
The toughness Miami has shown should pay tremendous dividends against future teams. They're outhustling us and exploiting all of our weaknesses. Win or lose, I'm glad we're playing Miami.

kerosene
05-12-2004, 11:48 PM
I was going to post something similar to this but will just add it here.

Teams that grow together need to learn to overcome adversity in the playoffs. There's not a magical superstar that was aquired this season to push the Pacers over the top. In my mind this team has not dealt with playoff adversity before. Getting knocked out the previous three seasons is not the kind of adversity the Pacers are facing now. Think of the wars the Pacers of old went through before they finally made it to the Finals. Once. They made it once. That team lost and learned and lost and learned etc. until eventually they won the Conference. Some people seem to think that just because the Pacers had the best regular season record and road record and blah blah blah they should automatically be locks to come out of the East. I don't see this as the case at all. This team has not proven much at all in the playoffs; and has much to learn about how you have to "bring it" in the playoffs. They don't seem to be mentally focused or tough enough to win hard playoff series yet. This is something that learned through experience.

I've felt that making the Conference Finals was and is a reasonable goal this season. It's what I've expected of this season from day one. I do think the Pacers will beat Miami, and if they don't; well let's hope it's a lesson learned. I have my doubts about the Pacers beating either Detroit or New Jersey though. I would love to see it happen and I haven't given up on the Pacers at all. I believe they would be a fine team to represent the East in the Finals and we would have a good series there. I'm just not sure this team is ready.

Millerartest
05-13-2004, 02:55 AM
I always like your photographs Kerosene and I couldn't agree more. I sometimes feel like I'm this super skeptic visiting the board because everyone thinks the Pacers have a real chance to win it all, and though I like to dream, I just have never seen it.

Look at all of the NBA champions in the recent era. Tim Duncan is the only name I can think of when a relatively inexperienced player led a team to a championship, though he certainly had a HOST of veterans with him, and the Bulls retired themselves out of the way.

It's ticked me off year after year, not because of the future of these Pacers, but because of the reality of Reggie. That New Jersey series in 2002 made me upset not because of the trades that were being made, but because there was no movement to pick up a veteran or a player in his prime to make a championship run, and I could see how much Reggie still had left. Same in 2003. I really wish the Pacers would have made a big trade to go for it all. I felt like it could have only taken getting rid of one of the young guys for a proven player.

Kings, Wolves, Lakers, Spurs, Nets, Pistons are all filled with veteran players and players in their prime. Look at the way the Nets, Lakers and Kings with their super playoff experience can so easily rebound to even the series with teams that are supposed to defeat them. The Pacers are still up and coming. It's great for them, but oh oh oh, how I feel for Reggie. I would love to hear his honest opinion on what this team really has. Maybe him giving no indication that he would actually retire this year, though he said he would after a championship, says enough.

wintermute
05-13-2004, 03:47 AM
couldn't agree more. this is the playoffs, and like it or not, this team does not have much playoff experience yet.

playing this hot miami team can only make us stronger. boston really was an aberration, and might have led to players' becoming overconfident.

i don't doubt we'll beat miami. they can't remain hot that long.

DisplacedKnick
05-13-2004, 09:43 AM
i don't doubt we'll beat miami. they can't remain hot that long.

Uh, this is a team that closed the regular season at 16-3 and hasn't lost at home in forever.

Face it - you're not playing a 42-win team. You're playing a 50-55 win team that would have won the Atlantic (probably with the best home court record in the league) if they'd gotten it together a little bit quicker.

I still think the Pacers win but it'll take 7 - no way does Indy take game 6 in Miami.

Just pray they don't pick now to figure out how to win on the road.

Ragnar
05-13-2004, 09:46 AM
I still think we will win this. One of the biggest factors is going to be home court. If Miami had it I would not be so confident. The reason is that bench players always play better on the road than at home and Miami's play much much better at home than they do on the road and so do ours.

My concern is not so much this series as it is with the Detroit series. Like I said I think we will get past Miami but we will not get past the Pistons the way we are playing. The type of defense that they play will make kill us when AJ is in the game. We have to play Kenny as the backup to get past Miami. Of that I am certain. When your backup pg is -11 and you lose by 12 then he is not the only cause but he is certainly a big part of the problem. He did make a couple of good play when he was in its just that he made a lot of horrible plays. For example the week entry pass to Jermaine that resulted in a jump ball. Tins was put in we lost the tip and they got a quick score. That went aginst Tins but it was AJ's play that set it up. So he was really -13. The last game he was -13 and we lost by 5 so that game I do think he was to blame.

But more to the point is that AJ is not really the problem. He sucks thats just the way it is. The blame has to rest with Rick he is the one who is giving him so many minutes. He is consistently leave him in for too long. It is not AJ's fault when he does not get taken out it is Ricks. In the second quarter Rick put all the starters back in at the 9 minute mark other than Tins. He did that because they Heat had eliminated all of our 9 point lead in only 4 minutes of play. Why he did not also put Tins back in is beyond me. We went on to have another minute and a half of uslessness and then he put Tins back in. I consider that to be a very pivotal point in the game. We had a chance to stop the momentum but he tried to fix the wrong problem.

While I do hate AJ's game I do not hate him. It is not his fault that he is playing out of position. He is a backup sg and not a pg. He should be used as a spot shooter when Reggie is not shooting.

Shade
05-13-2004, 01:30 PM
Personally, I'm not really that down on the Pacers -- I'm just that impressed by Miami. And it pisses me off, honestly, because Miami is shooting on another planet against us. If they had played that well against Nawlins, it would have been a sweep. It gets really irritating constantly having teams play over their heads against us. It seems to be about the only time we lose.

If Miami continues to play the way they have the last couple of games, we can't win this series. simple as that. Unless we match them by raising our game to a new level (seriously doubt that'll happen at this stage of the season), they're just better than us for this series. And that's what REALLY makes me mad -- the Heat will only be this good in this series. If they go on to play the Pistons/Nets in the ECF, they'll get their asses kicked. They'll cool off and won't shoot anywhere near 50% against the Pistons/Nets.

It seems like this happens practically every year. Ugh. :puke:

kerosene
05-14-2004, 04:22 AM
Thanks Millerartest. That's a picture of hip hopper Mos Def from one of his record covers which I photoshopped the "parental advisory" off of :D I found it a striking picture.

We should get together out here for a Conf. Finals game. I'm in Southern Alameda county but am game to head up to Oakland or Berkeley or wherever is near you. Would have to be a weekend game though, I'm pretty tied up during the week. Send me a PM if you feel up for something like that.