PDA

View Full Version : This has become the land of Overreaction

Hicks
05-12-2004, 11:24 PM
Everyone who's ready to start discussing the draft needs to take a step back. Let things sink in for a while.

Miami played OUTSTANDING tonight. We played poorly except for JO and Ron, but this was not our worst performance, even in these playoffs. Miami played at a level that would beat damn near anyone tonight, and they are simply a different team in their house.

Their problem is, now they have to come to our house. And I for one will be there to "greet" them. As good as they are at home, they're damn near equally bad on the road, and we've NEVER lost three in a row this year. Never. That will NOT change Saturday night. I guaruntee you the crowd will be there for the team that night, and that they will get their *** in gear enough to go up 3-2.

Going in I said Pacers in 5. Now I say Pacers in 7. Miami will simply not give up homecourt, but the homecourt advantage is and always will be ours, and that is why we will win in the end.

The gloom and doom crowd needs to get some sleep, chill out, and get a fresh perspective. Miami was terrific, we were mediocre. No one should be shocked and amazed by tonight.

I said it earlier, and I'll say it now: It will be night and day Saturday. We will play at worst like we did tonight, probably better, and they will be notably worse.

Just try to relax a bit, and pull the gun back out of your mouth long enough to realize it ain't over 'til it's over.

:cool:

Southside_Pacer
05-12-2004, 11:29 PM
We aided Miami in looking as good as they did.

We have left open shooters all four games, and they keep making them. We keep getting outrebounded every single game, we are getting outworked each game, they're having more fun than we are, they never give up like we do, we're a two man show and nobody else is stepping up, etc etc.

Until this team actually plays well, and they haven't yet, there's a good chance we're going to lose.

As these past two games have shown, NOTHING IS GUARENTEED. So saying the Pacers are guarenteed to win just because we're at home is crazy. That attitude could potentially cause us to OVERLOOK Miami, and lose.

We must play with a sense of urgency like every game is our last, and we must give more effort than Miami. That's a tall order considering they never quit.

Until the Pacers actually play well, I'm going to hold my judgement on their chances.

sweabs
05-12-2004, 11:36 PM
As these past two games have shown, NOTHING IS GUARENTEED. So saying the Pacers are guarenteed to win just because we're at home is crazy. That attitude could potentially cause us to OVERLOOK Miami, and lose.

Well it's not our attitudes that count - it's the players...and hopefully they don't get all conceded and overlook the Heat like they have done as of late.

SkipperZ
05-12-2004, 11:36 PM
That was probable the most level headed post ive read all night.

People are also overlooking the biggest positive about this losss, Jermaine seems to be back in playoff form. Weve been getting by all playoffs with a less than 100% Jermaine, and now that he's shooting well, this may be a good sign of things to come

arkman40
05-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Welcome to the playoffs. The Heat are not chumps like the Celtics were. They are well-coached, they play hard, they play together, and they have some really good players that can catch fire. They've been one of the better teams in the league down the stretch of the season, and really shine at home. Thankfully, they are not a good road team at all.

Regardless, we are no strangers to these series where the home team holds serve through 4 games. Orlando, Chicago, New York (two times), we saw a 2-2 tie with home court defended. Miami just went through one too. The team with home court advantage won the series in each case. The Heat still have a very much uphill battle.

Shade
05-12-2004, 11:42 PM
Flat out a champion team doesn't play like this and there should be cause for serious concern.

I'm glad you said this, because here's the thing. If the Kings win tonight, all 4 sereies' will be tied 2-2. So which one of these teams would you consider a championship team? All of them have shown major weaknesses in Round 2.

This is what still gives me a glimmer of hope. As flawed as we are, everyone else is apparently just as flawed.

Hicks
05-12-2004, 11:44 PM
Scott H, the thing is I think we really WILL get them next time. And as for "championship teams don't do this", well guess what. We aren't. We haven't won **** yet. This is when we learn how to get there. We could yet BECOME a championship team this season, but we haven't learned how yet. The further we can advance, the closer we will get to being a true championship team. And I for one think we'll at least walk away from this season with at least Conference Finals experience, if not more.

Millerartest
05-13-2004, 12:09 AM
Skaut_Ech wrote:
"Flat out a champion team doesn't play like this and there should be cause for serious concern."

I couldn't agree more. Problem is, even though Miami is tough, they are by far the weakest of the teams left. They are really tough, but only the best of the best are left. Playing solid down the stretch and having a last second shot put you away is rough. Playing solid down the stretch and not having quite enough is disheartening. But getting whipped down the stretch twice in a row to the weakest of the teams left is not what a championship team is made of.

This team has not been expected to win the championship. Problem is, they have been expected to get to the ECF after the first round. Looks like they forgot about the second.

Who cares what we think. It's all about what the Pacers bring.

beast23
05-13-2004, 02:03 AM
I don't know about SERIOUS concern.

But losing two straight to a team that most would have expected the Pacers to beat in 5 certainly makes you sit up and take notice.

Anyway, we are now playing a best-of-3 series with home court advantage against a team that sucks on the road. Miami has acquired confidence and momentum, but quite honestly, I think Miami played their best game tonight.

What the Pacers need to do is settle down and play defense. We have the horses in the paint, so quit double-teaming in the lane and start covering the perimeter shooters. Play them straight up and give up a shot or two outside, but focus on preventing penetration.