PDA

View Full Version : Kobe suspended 1 game for striking Ginobili

Slick Pinkham
01-30-2007, 01:42 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Ap.w1fHy6z0ShrqwUogqTcC8vLYF?slug=ap-lakers-bryantsuspended&prov=ap&type=lgns

NEW YORK (AP) -- Kobe Bryant was suspended one game without pay by the NBA on Tuesday for striking San Antonio's Manu Ginobili in the face.

Bryant was to miss Tuesday's game against the New York Knicks, leaving the Lakers without their leading scorer when they opened an eight-game road trip.

The incident occurred with 2.7 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter of the Lakers' 96-94 overtime loss to the Spurs on Sunday.

Bryant is averaging 28.4 points, 5.5 assists and 5.4 rebounds.

colonialspacers
01-30-2007, 01:57 PM
ESPN.com is now reporting that Kobe is making a fuss out of the whole thing and claiming to be shocked that he was suspended for a game. I haven't seen the hit so I can't really tell.

However, Phil Jackhole offered his opinion that "I have been a little disappointed with how Kobe has been treated as a premier player."

That's what's wrong with the NBA, regardless of this incident "premier players" are expected to be treated differently than anyone else, while in the NFL, which enjoys much more popularity than the NBA right now, applies the same rules to everyone (see Chad Johnson).

Evan_The_Dude
01-30-2007, 02:02 PM
Suspended for what?! He didn't hit Manu on purpose. He even went back to check on Manu when he realized that he hit him! WTF???!!!

avoidingtheclowns
01-30-2007, 02:05 PM
yeah i watched it and manu was hit fairly hard but whether that was from kobe or him falling on the floor i don't know. it never seemed intentional to me, other than kobe trying to make contact to get a foul call.

Fool
01-30-2007, 02:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjWO4FeTrTI

BoomBaby31
01-30-2007, 02:40 PM
That is bull****, how can you suspend a player for that? That is absolutely CRAZY... I am usually on Stern's side with suspensions but this is WAY OVER the top. Ludacris absolutely Ludacris

Will Galen
01-30-2007, 02:48 PM
I don't see it either, but the NBA must have thought Kobe swung his arm on purpose.

And as for Phil Jackson's statement, premier player's shouldn't be treated any different from anyone else.

Speed
01-30-2007, 02:51 PM
i disagree completely. It's a masked very cheap shot, I've seen that done so many times or a variation, it was an intentional swing, very industrial, 6 foot under leagueish, imo.

Anthem
01-30-2007, 03:02 PM
That's not a cheap shot. Kobe sees nothing there but the basket.

Can't stand Kobe, but he got jobbed on that one.

Kraft
01-30-2007, 03:05 PM
His normal shooting motion provides enough backlash to floor Manu like that? I'm not buying.

Hell, the look on his face walking toward the bench is enough for me to buy the suspension.

Hicks
01-30-2007, 03:07 PM
The only thing I can figure is they felt that it was an unnecessary movement that jeopardized the well-being of another player. Kind of like how they take exception to swinging elbows at face level, or how you get a game for swinging a punch just because of what the punch could do. Granted, punches are intentionally trying to harm someone, but I think the comparison to elbows is (somewhat) valid.

Pretty weak though.

Major Cold
01-30-2007, 03:09 PM
That is bull****, how can you suspend a player for that? That is absolutely CRAZY... I am usually on Stern's side with suspensions but this is WAY OVER the top. Ludacris absolutely Ludacris

I was thinking more like 2Pac

ALF68
01-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Cheap shot by Kobe, one game should have been the least that he should have received. I bet he would not have gave a bigger player a cheap shot like that.

Aw Heck
01-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Yeah, that's pretty weak. Even if Manu got hurt, that's pretty incidental contact.

I could understand a fine, maybe, in order to discourage it. But a game?

I guess in the long run one game isn't going to matter <i>too</i> much. But it's still a tad excessive.

Fool
01-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Kobe on the radio saying that even Manu told the NBA that he thought it was incidental.

NorCal_Pacerfan
01-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Great block by Ginobili, really, impressive that get got a hand on that ball. I think it's obvious that Kobe reacted to having his shot blocked. Definitely a cheap shot on Ginobili if you ask me, looks pretty obvious. But it wasn't pre-meditated - just an instant reaction in the heat of the battle. I think the 1 game suspension is justified.

Moses
01-30-2007, 03:23 PM
Looked weird, but it was clearly incidental. Looks to me like he was coming down weird after he got blocked and tried to balance himself out so he could leap back and take another attempt. Either way, Ginobli was basically behind him and barely in his peripheral vision when his arm came down. It will most likely get revoked.

Speed
01-30-2007, 03:24 PM
He just got his shot blocked, his pride was hurt, he had been badgered by Bowen and Manobli all game, he took a very hard extra arm motion toward the defender, that had nothing to do with balance or change of direction of his body. It's a cheap shots, guys do it all the time if they get stripped or blocked they make an exaggerated motion towards the defender to smack them in the face and/or try to draw the foul. You'll see it tonite when JO or Perkins from Boston block a shot the play will throw their arms right at the respective defender. Usually it does no damage and looks like shot follow through, Kobe just did it out of context and intentionally because his feelings were hurt because his shot was blocked.

waxman
01-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Kobe has a history of "accidentally" elbowing opponents.... ask Danny Granger.

Slick Pinkham
01-30-2007, 03:37 PM
it looks intentional to me. I've never seen Kobe swing an arm like that on his follow-through.

The refs report was probably vital to the suspension. Maybe Kobe and Manu had been going at it with words during the game?

:shrug:

bread
01-30-2007, 03:50 PM
I watched the game and as soon as I saw it I thought it was a cheap shot. When I saw the replay I told my wife he should get at least a fine and maybe a game for it. Of course since it was Kobe I, like Phil, figured he wouldn't get suspended. Kudos to Stu Jackson for not playing favorites on this one... Unless he's Laker Hater! ;-)

Slick Pinkham
01-30-2007, 03:56 PM
What makes it hard to judge is Ginobili's status as the #1 flopper in the NBA, but it did look like a legit shot intentionally delivered.

tdubb03
01-30-2007, 03:56 PM
Remember guys, it's MANU GINOBILI. Dude's the best flopper of all time.

Though I do think Kobe did it on purpose, but I don't think he meant for it to be that hard.

Me and Tom said basically the exact same thing and posted seconds apart. GET OUT OF MY HEAD.

bulldog
01-30-2007, 04:02 PM
That is not normal follow through, nor was it necessary for balance.

I don't think Kobe meant to deck him, but it was definitely a reaction to the play, maybe he was looking to draw a foul (instead of kicking out his legs like Reggie, "kicking" out his arms), but it came off a little harder than he meant it to.

That was pretty rough, Kobe was upset he got swatted. Great play by Manu.

NuffSaid
01-30-2007, 04:32 PM
I read down 3 or 4 posts and when I didn't see anyone comment on the following, I figured I should chime in...

What about Ginobli's shot to Kobe's head? Yes, he blocked kobe's shot, but if you watch the replay, you'll see the Ginobli also followed threw w/the block and grabbed Kobe about the top of his head at his forehead. The force pulled Kobe's head back. That's what Kobe reacted to.

Kobe then swatted at Ginobli hitting him in the face.

The initial live-action shot goes so fast it appears that Ginobli didn't do anything wrong. In fact, when I first saw it I didn't see that Kobe did anything wrong either. But as they say in the NFL, "Upon further reveiw..."

Both players made undo physical contact with the other. Kobe should have been given 2 FTs (**Correction**...I initially thought Kobe took a 3PA. Hence, the 3 FTs posted earlier. But he was inside the 3pt line when Ginobli blocked his shot and committed the non-call foul), and he would have been justified. But Kobe's retaliation to Ginobli wasn't enough to warrent a 1-game suspension. Heck, it's not even a flagrant foul, IMO. I've seen worse "cheap shots" that got less attention. :rolleyes: Ginobli did a fine acting job, though. He really sold it!

01-30-2007, 04:35 PM
Great block by Ginobili, really, impressive that get got a hand on that ball. I think it's obvious that Kobe reacted to having his shot blocked. Definitely a cheap shot on Ginobili if you ask me, looks pretty obvious. But it wasn't pre-meditated - just an instant reaction in the heat of the battle. I think the 1 game suspension is justified.

Just what i wanted to say. Take it from me, as a basketballplayer myself ive seen that done many times, its called acting.... Kobe should get an oscar, he even went back to check on Manu, hahah. Truly a master.... just one of the reasons i dont like him.

Cant you guys realise? He thinks he is A GOD, he thinks he is SO GOOD, that a worthless player for him like Manu should not be able to block him and so he smacks him in the face. He got experience, he knows how to do it and get away with it. He is also very disrespectfull to other people/players.... very cocky personality on and off the court. He wants everyone to know that he is KOBE and you shall bow down, but thats another part of the story!

At the same time, he is a heck of a basketballplayer... best in the league. At the end you can see how much he hates losing... thats a good thing, but when you are like Kobe its not a good thing, he does something about it..... he talks, he fights and he does crap like this.

Fool
01-30-2007, 04:37 PM
I read down 3 or 4 posts and when I didn't see anyone comment on the following, I figured I should chime in...

What about Ginobli's shot to Kobe's head? Yes, he blocked kobe's shot, but if you watch the replay, you'll see the Ginobli also followed throw w/the block and grabbed Kobe about the top of his head at his forehead. The force pulled Kobe's head back. That's what Kobe reacted to.

Kobe then swatted at Ginobli hitting him in the face.

The initial live-action shot goes so fast it appears that Ginobli didn't do anything wrong. In fact, when I first saw it I didn't see that Kobe did anything wrong either. But as they say in the NFL, "Upon further reveiw..."

Both players made undo physical contact with the other. Kobe should have been given 3 FTs, and he would have been justified. But Kobe's retaliation to Ginobli wasn't enough to warrent a 1-game suspension. Heck, it's not even a flagrant foul, IMO. I've seen worse "cheap shots" that got less attention. :rolleyes: Ginobli did a fine acting job, though. He really sold it!

You are seeing things. Not even Kobe is claiming that Manu touched him in any way.

NuffSaid
01-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Then you need to watch the replay again.

YouTube allows you to pause the action and you can start and stop it by rapidly clicking the play button. Watch the portion where the replay the shot, and you'll see what I've described for yourself. Kobe's head does get snapped back on Ginobli's follow through of the block. Kobe then swats Ginobli's arm away and in turn hits Ginobli in the face.

Look closely...you'll see.

In fact, if you look at Ginobli's action after the block you'll see that he actually re-directs his motion to purposely make contact with Kobe's head.

Again, watch the replay and slow it down, examine it, then play it forward at regular speed and you'll see it all unfold.

I'm not taking Kobe's side here. Just stating what everyone else omitted including Stu Jackson.

Evan_The_Dude
01-30-2007, 04:44 PM
Look at it again. Manu was to Kobe's right as Kobe was coming down from his initial jump. Kobe then immediately jumped again to try to shoot the ball.

Tell me something. When you're gaining momentum to go into a jump, don't you have to sort of propell yourself? In the propelling motion, your elbows do exactly what Kobe's did. It's not Kobe's fault that Manu's face happened to be right in his path. Look at it. It's so obviously unintentional it's not even funny.

Try it. Jump up and down and try to touch your ceiling. The average person goes into the jumping motion with their knees bent and elbows facing outwards before they spring themselves up. When you spring yourself up, your arms/elbows will -- on instinct -- go down and become straight.

Look at it again. Kobe and Manu landed from their jumps at the same place at the same time. This has got to be the worst suspension ever. Kobe needs to challenge the hell out of this one.

01-30-2007, 04:45 PM
That is not normal follow through, nor was it necessary for balance.

I don't think Kobe meant to deck him, but it was definitely a reaction to the play, maybe he was looking to draw a foul (instead of kicking out his legs like Reggie, "kicking" out his arms), but it came off a little harder than he meant it to.

Exactly like that!

Fool
01-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Then you need to watch the replay again.

YouTube allows you to pause the action and you can start and stop it by rapidly clicking the play button. Watch the portion where the replay the shot, and you'll see what I've described for yourself. Kobe's head does get snapped back on Ginobli's follow through of the block. Kobe then swats Ginobli's arm away and in turn hits Ginobli in the face.

Look closely...you'll see.

In fact, if you look at Ginobli's action after the block you'll see that he actually re-directs his motion to purposely make contact with Kobe's head.

Again, watch the replay and slow it down, examine it, then play it forward at regular speed and you'll see it all unfold.

I'm not taking Kobe's side here. Just stating what everyone else omitted including Stu Jackson.

I have, it doesn't happen that way. No one has seen it that way on the 3+ forums I've been reading this topic in. Kobe doesn't ever mention Manu touching him, Manu doesn't ever say anything about ever touching Kobe, Popovich doesn't mention it, Phil Jackson doesn't say anything about it.

Didn't Peck or Hicks or someone and I have a similar "no you are seeing it wrong" conversation about something that happened in the playoffs last year (maybe two years ago)?

NuffSaid
01-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Look at it again. Manu was to Kobe's right as Kobe was coming down from his initial jump. Kobe then immediately jumped again to try to shoot the ball.

Tell me something. When you're gaining momentum to go into a jump, don't you have to sort of propell yourself? In the propelling motion, your elbows do exactly what Kobe's did. It's not Kobe's fault that Manu's face happened to be right in his path. Look at it. It's so obviously unintentional it's not even funny.

Try it. Jump up and down and try to touch your ceiling. The average person goes into the jumping motion with their knees bent and elbows facing outwards before they spring themselves up. When you spring yourself up, your arms/elbows will -- on instinct -- go down and become straight.

Look at it again. Kobe and Manu landed from their jumps at the same place at the same time. This has got to be the worst suspension ever. Kobe needs to challenge the hell out of this one.
You're reaching there, fella. Sorry...ain't buying it.

Kobe meant to hit Ginobli or atleast move his arm off his head. I don't think he meant to hurt him, but he clearly didn't like Ginobli grabbing his head. There, I don't blame him. But again, I don't think the contact by Kobe warrants a 1-game suspension especially when you take into account the Ginobli initiated the contact. And if the league is going to punish players for "aggressive physical contact about the upper torsoe and head" as they have done here recently, then Ginobli deserves to be punished as well. Right is right, and fair is fair.

Ok, so nobody claims that Ginobli hit Kobe. Not Kobe, not Phil, not anyboby. But that still doesn't explain why Kobe's head gets whipped back (or possibly to the side as if to avoid contact) on Ginobli's follow threw. Maybe Ginobli didn't hit him, but his hand was clearly somewhere at or around the top of Kobe's head...enough so that Kobe had to at least "duck" in order to avoid Ginobli's downward swip as he followed threw on the block.

If you still don't see it, then let's agree to disagree on this one and move on. In either case, whether others agree with me or not, IMO both players should have been punished based on my observations.

01-30-2007, 05:07 PM
I dont know why people are discussing about this...... Its very easy to see what happened. Watch the video carefully and read this:

1. Kobe jumps up and tries to release his shot
2. Kobe knows that Manu is close and that he could get blocked but he doesnt have time to do something else and MUST shoot the ball
3. Kobe shoots and Manu touches ONLY the ball, 100% Clean Block...
4. Manus hands angle / motion afterwards does go behind and over Kobe.
5. Kobe reacts very fast and this time swings his right arm with big power to the right in purpose to either A) Draw a Foul B) Catch his defender off balance in an attempt to grab the ball back and shoot again
6. Option "B)" was correct.
7. The Arm did hit Manu in the center of his face, bullseye.
8. Manu goes down in pain.

bellisimo
01-30-2007, 05:08 PM
while i was watching the game...i didn't really see anything suspension worthy....but now after close examination...it does look like he's creating the contact intentionally....

Evan_The_Dude
01-30-2007, 05:14 PM
I just watched it again. I watched the part where it slows down the action and shows the play again. Ginobli did hit Kobe in the head, but what he did more was his momentum caused him to run into Kobe's back while Kobe was in the air. Kobe looked like he was beginning to brace himself for a fall, and by instinct he swung his arm back. It Ginobli didn't run into Kobe's back, this wouldn't have happened.

Think about it. If you're losing your balance or bracing yourself for a fall, what's the first thing you do? Your arms go wild because you're trying either not to fall, or not to fall hard.

Evan_The_Dude
01-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Do this: At the :35 mark in the video, do a continuous pause & play of the video. You will not see Kobe's arm go swinging until AFTER Manu's hand hit's Kobe's face, and then Manu starts colliding with Kobe's back. Then Manu hit's Kobe's back, THAT's when you need to completely stop the video. You'll see Kobe obviously out of balance and Manu obviously colliding with him, causing Kobe to throw his arm out for BALANCE, NOT CONTACT.

Then look at Kobe's position after he hit's Manu. You'll see that he's partially on the ground himself BECAUSE HE LOST HIS BALANCE.

NuffSaid
01-30-2007, 05:30 PM
I'm not too convinced about the hit in the back and off balance issue, but it's clear Ginobli did go after Kobe's head at the :35 mark of the replay footage.

If you watch, you'll see that Ginobli does get a clean block on Kobe. But now, watch Ginobli's swinging motion as he follows threw on the block. A clear follow-threw would have meant Ginobli's arm would have come down behind Kobe. But if you watch the slow motion replay and do your own stop motion, you'll see Ginobli's arm hesitates in the air and then he changes direction right after the block while Kobe is still in the air and appears to hit Kobe in the head. You then see Kobe's head move either back or he jerks it quickly to his left like he's trying to avoid contact. It's after the "contact" that Kobe reacts, not during the block.

So, upon further review....

Both were wrong, but like I use to tell my son when he played football, the refs never see what the other guy did; they only see what you did in response to what he did.

Evan_The_Dude
01-30-2007, 05:47 PM
How does Kobe end up nearly falling on his butt if there wasn't a balance issue? Look at the position of Kobe's body in mid air while Manu is running into his back. Kobe's legs are behind him, as are his arms. No way he could have had balance. The fact that Kobe either got hit in the head in mid air or jerked to avoid a hit to the head in mid air further proves that coming down from the jump he couldn't have had balance. How can any human being in one second, in mid air take a hit to the head, and take a slight shove to the back in the same motion and not lose his balance at least a little bit?

I'm sorry, but that "hit" by Kobe was as intentional as Ron Artest stepping on Shaq's foot and injuring Shaq's ankle a year ago.

ALF68
01-30-2007, 06:10 PM
For all of you Kobe apologists, go to youtube and view all of Kobe's fouls where he elbows, Mike Miller, Raga Bell, his history tells me that he elbowed Ginobili with intent.

Swingman
01-30-2007, 06:21 PM
are you guys watching the same video? Kobe clearly swung his arm back and hit Manu. swinging your arm back like that isn't a natural shooting motion.

Personally I would have suspended Kobe for 3 games. It's almost like Bruce Bowen's leg move underneath the jump shooter. It's trying to hurt the other player and mask it under normal offense/defense. Watch Kobe shoot his other shots and I doubt he swings his arm back like that.

Frank Slade
01-30-2007, 06:33 PM
I think this part is clear IMO, the reaction Kobe did after the foul was abnormal and forced at best, and intentional at worst.

When I was watching the game and they did the replay, my first reaction was it that Kobe did it out of frustration, but who can say for sure.

I guess am a little surprised that it drew a suspension.

Evan_The_Dude
01-30-2007, 07:17 PM
are you guys watching the same video? Kobe clearly swung his arm back and hit Manu. swinging your arm back like that isn't a natural shooting motion.

Personally I would have suspended Kobe for 3 games. It's almost like Bruce Bowen's leg move underneath the jump shooter. It's trying to hurt the other player and mask it under normal offense/defense. Watch Kobe shoot his other shots and I doubt he swings his arm back like that.

I'm no Kobe apologist and I know he's elbowed people before, but it's blatantly obvious that he was loosing his balance.

Swingman
01-30-2007, 07:27 PM
I'm no Kobe apologist and I know he's elbowed people before, but it's blatantly obvious that he was loosing his balance.

He maybe lost his balance but that doesn't explain whacking Manu across the head. I didn't think it looked like he lost his balance. He looked pretty in control when he tried to put up another shot attempt.

Evan_The_Dude
01-30-2007, 07:38 PM
In control until Manu ran into his back. The elbow wasnt there until Manu ran into his back causing Kobe to lose his balance and throw his arm. Nobody seems to understand that when you lose your balance, your first instinct is to throw your arms.

SamBear
01-30-2007, 08:39 PM
Ginobli did a fine acting job, though. He really sold it!

Yeah... I wonder where he got that blood to put in his nose? :rolleyes:

SamBear
01-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Kobe suspended tonight vs. Knicks
By Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com

Kobe Bryant was so stunned and angered by his one-game suspension, he took the extraordinary step Tuesday of asking NBA commissioner David Stern to convene an immediate appeal hearing.

"I'm blown away by it. It makes no sense."
-- Kobe Bryant on his suspension

Shortly before 5 p.m. ET the league turned down that request, meaning Bryant had to sit out the Los Angeles Lakers' game against the New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden on Tuesday night. He wasn't paid for the game.

Bryant was staying at the Lakers' team hotel just a few blocks from NBA headquarters in Manhattan and was on call to dash down Fifth Avenue to Stern's office if the request was granted. But barring the unlikeliest turn of events, Bryant was officially banned from the Garden for the Lakers' only visit of the season to play the Knicks.

"This is not the process that we use at the NBA," Stu Jackson, the league's chief disciplinarian for on-court actions, said of Bryant's request. "Certainly, in theory, given the fact that the Lakers were in New York, we could have heard an appeal. But again, we never have, as it's not part of our process. He does have the right to an appeal at a later date. If he were to win that appeal, he would get his money back."
"I've been waiting to play here, it's always been a fun place for me to play here, and I'm surprised. Shocked, by it, actually," Bryant said before his appeal was denied. "I unintentionally caught Manu Ginobili. What do you say, it's a basketball game. You unintentionally catch people with elbows every once in a while."

The suspension, for elbowing Ginobili while Bryant was attempting a jump shot late in the Lakers' game against the Spurs on Sunday, caught Bryant completely off-guard.

"I haven't seen a precedence for this. There's unintentional elbows that take place in a game all the time," Bryant told reporters at Madison Square Garden following the Lakers' shootaround. "I'm blown away by it. It makes no sense."

The NBA news release announcing the suspension said Bryant was being penalized for "striking" Ginobili. Jackson elaborated on Tuesday.

"Some of the determining factors were the fact that there was contact made with Ginobili above the shoulders and the fact that this particular action by Kobe was an unnatural basketball motion. Following a shot, he drove a stiff arm in a backward motion and struck Ginobili in the head," Jackson said. "We did not view this as an inadvertent action."

No foul was called on the play.

"This blow was so swift in real time that it's understandable why, in fact, an official would have missed the contact," Jackson said. "In our view, this was not an attempt to draw a foul."

Bryant is averaging 28.4 points, 5.5 assists and 5.4 rebounds.

Bryant scored 40 points in his only visit last season to Madison Square Garden, which he called his favorite place to play. Sasha Vujacic started in his place to the disappointment of a sellout crowd that booed when it was announced during pregame introductions that Bryant was not with the team because of the suspension.

"We have one appearance in Madison Square Garden," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said earlier Tuesday. "People obviously look forward to this game because Kobe last year was being chanted 'MVP!' on this court during the course of a game in which he had a great game. The crowd obviously likes him here and likes to watch him play. To miss this game cheats the fans."

Last season, Bryant was suspended for two games without pay for elbowing Mike Miller of the Memphis Grizzlies in the throat -- but Stu Jackson said that incident was not a factor in Tuesday's penalty.

Chris Sheridan covers the NBA for ESPN Insider. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

LINK (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2748084)

BayouPacer
01-30-2007, 10:52 PM
Does no one else really see the thing that I do when I see this.

Regardless of intent or not, this is on par with Supreme Dictator David Stern inforcing his NEW NBA on the world.

Carmelo gets 15 games for one swing and Kobe gets a game in the course of play for an eblow. Expect Foster to be out the the rest of the year when he sets a block on an unexpecting defender and his shouldar is met by the guys face. Defender hits floor, and the legal screen becomes a 25 game suspension.

The NBA will be a glorified game of HORSE in 10 years, watch.

piksi
01-30-2007, 11:41 PM
Kobe has a history of "accidentally" elbowing opponents.... ask Danny Granger.

Mike Bibby

Mike Miller

etc

waterjater
01-31-2007, 02:17 AM
However, Phil Jackhole offered his opinion that "I have been a little disappointed with how Kobe has been treated as a premier player."

That's what's wrong with the NBA, regardless of this incident "premier players" are expected to be treated differently than anyone else, while in the NFL, which enjoys much more popularity than the NBA right now, applies the same rules to everyone (see Chad Johnson).

This to me is the bigger issue. All players should be treated equally....I could care less about a "premier player". I agree this is what is so wrong about the NBA. Gets old watching Wade, Kobe, Arenas etc. drive the lane, have defenders watch him go by without touching him...."TWEET" foul. As a fan, I'd love to see the Shaq's, Wade's etc. actually foul out of some games....would definitely make the NBA more credible!!

As for the suspension....One game...big deal...and I bet it was retaliation, but hasn't typically been a suspension...usually a fine. The NBA is continuing their clean up the image campaign.

Roferr
01-31-2007, 04:58 PM
The play when viewed from a distant shot looks like it could be incidental but a close up shot shows it to be strictly a cheap shot. He threw is arm to the side with mean intentions. I suppose Ginobli's swollen face was from incidental contact?

The crybaby should be happy that it was only a one game suspension.

As far as Jackson goes, his players over the years have reaped many "star" calls, especially after he works the refs through the media. MJ, Pippen, Shaq and Kobe have gotten away with numerous phantom calls.

Roferr
01-31-2007, 05:08 PM
In control until Manu ran into his back. The elbow wasnt there until Manu ran into his back causing Kobe to lose his balance and throw his arm. Nobody seems to understand that when you lose your balance, your first instinct is to throw your arms.

Quit making excuses for the knucklehead. It was an obvious cheap shot. He threw his arm straight out and clothes-lined him. If he had kept his arm in and hit him with only his elbow, it might have been a little different. He brought his arm around and straight back like you would a ball bat with much more force than to merely try to catch his balance.

He's pissed because they're finally playing some road games and they can't handle the losing. That's what happens when your buddy Stern lines up the first half of the season with mostly home games. Now, it's time to pay the piper.

Evan_The_Dude
01-31-2007, 05:21 PM
Nobody is making excuses for the "knucklehead" if thats what you want to call him. Yes he's elbowed people before, but those were quite obviously intentional. Nobody has answered my question yet though so I'll ask again. If Kobe didn't lose his balance, then how did he nearly end up on his butt after Manu's push?

Actually, don't answer the question. I know what I saw. Kobe is human like anybody else and threw his arms after Manu ran into him. Watch the slow motion replay 20-30 times like I have and pause it just before his arm goes swinging, then look at his position in the air, and Manu's position going into Kobe's back.

Evan_The_Dude
01-31-2007, 05:39 PM
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/9936/manurunsintokobeds9.jpg
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/5003/manurunsintokobe2tf9.jpg
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/2255/manurunsintokobe3wb4.jpg

Roferr
01-31-2007, 05:54 PM
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/9936/manurunsintokobeds9.jpg
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/5003/manurunsintokobe2tf9.jpg
http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/2255/manurunsintokobe3wb4.jpg

My contention is that when Kobe threw his arm out it was with much more force than to simply put it behind him to catch his fall. He had some speed behind his arm with evil intent.

Evan_The_Dude
01-31-2007, 08:00 PM
My contention is that when Kobe threw his arm out it was with much more force than to simply put it behind him to catch his fall. He had some speed behind his arm with evil intent.

He didn't try to put that arm behind him. When you're trying to prevent a bad fall, it's your natural instinct to put your arms out for balance. That's what he did.

Check out this random video of this girl falling. Look how fast her arm swings before she hits the ground. That was just as fast as Kobe's arm swung. When you're falling, you don't exactly hesitate to try to prevent a bad fall, at least most normal people don't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3G9CyWqUwU

Fool
02-01-2007, 04:27 PM
Those screen captures are about as clear as pea soup. I still have yet to see ANYONE who was involved with the game even mention Manu ever touching Kobe.