PDA

View Full Version : Stick a fork in Reggie

PistonsDynasty
05-12-2004, 11:23 PM
Hey I was thinking the samething!!

What does he bring to the team expect his exprience. Back in the day Reggie hit every open shot. Now teams PLAY OFF OF HIM. They don't respect his shot. I don't get a chance to see alot of Pacer games but I've seen enough to tell you his "J" is gone and it's never coming back. I watched him miss open J, open 3, open 3, open and alot of them weren't close.

sweabs
05-12-2004, 11:25 PM

What does he bring to the team expect his exprience. Back in the day Reggie hit every open shot. Now teams PLAY OFF OF HIM. They don't respect his shot. I don't get a chance to see alot of Pacer games but I've seen enough to tell you his "J" is gone and it's never coming back. I watched him miss open J, open 3, open 3, open and alot of them weren't close.

Teams DO respect his shot still.
There was a dunk in the first quarter I believe by Jermaine that illustrated this well when Reggie had the ball in the high post and drew J.O.'s defender leaving him open.
Once Reggie gets that ball behind the arc - there is usually a defender right on him...he is still respected.

waterjater
05-12-2004, 11:26 PM
Reggie stunk it up in the last two games and was a huge liability defensively tonight.

I'm bummed Jones is hurt because we are missing what he brings to the table!

Millerartest
05-12-2004, 11:28 PM
Why don't we stick a fork in whoever was guarding the two Miami forwards who combined to go 17-26 from the field?

PistonsDynasty
05-12-2004, 11:36 PM

There was a dunk in the first quarter I believe by Jermaine that illustrated this well when Reggie had the ball in the high post and drew J.O.'s defender leaving him open.
Once Reggie gets that ball behind the arc - there is usually a defender right on him...he is still respected.

I'll take your word on that. Did turn on the game until late 2nd quarter.

But the thing I'm seeing is Reggie missing nnnnoooo CLANKING a bunch of wide open shots. They weren't even close!!

I saw atleast 4 plays where Eddie Jones left Reggie to double J.O. and Reg took 3 of them and missed wide open 3's and passed on the other 1.

Suaveness
05-12-2004, 11:37 PM

I'll take your word on that. Did turn on the game until late 2nd quarter.

But the thing I'm seeing is Reggie missing nnnnoooo CLANKING a bunch of wide open shots. They weren't even close!!

I saw atleast 4 plays where Eddie Jones left Reggie to double J.O. and Reg took 3 of them and missed wide open 3's and passed on the other 1.

Reggie normally doesnt play this bad. The ENTIRE team, other than JO and Ron, were bad.

PistonsDynasty
05-12-2004, 11:41 PM
Reggie normally doesnt play this bad. The ENTIRE team, other than JO and Ron, were bad.

Your right but it's not that the Pacers were so bad but it's more like the Heat were that GOOD. That team isn't a push-over. Those guys call ball.

Remember home teams suppose to win in the playoffs. The Heat held serve and did their part. So did the Nets :cry:

Suaveness
05-12-2004, 11:42 PM

Your right but it's not that the Pacers were so bad but it's more like the Heat were that GOOD. That team isn't a push-over. Those guys call ball.

Remember home teams suppose to win in the playoffs. The Heat held serve and did their part. So did the Nets :cry:

Yes, there were very good. But we also did play poorly. Oh well...next game.

sweabs
05-12-2004, 11:43 PM
Remember home teams suppose to win in the playoffs.

EVERYONE READ THIS!!! :laugh:

PistonsDynasty
05-12-2004, 11:48 PM

Ohhh I get it. The Pistons were the 1st team to lose at home in the playoffs??

Unclebuck
05-12-2004, 11:51 PM

It is obvious you don't see a lot of Pacers games, because it is simply not true that teams lay off Reggie.

he had a bad shooting night tonight.

sweabs
05-12-2004, 11:54 PM

Ohhh I get it. The Pistons were the 1st team to lose at home in the playoffs??

No no no no...just saying that b/c a lot of people are so upset we lost tonight...but from a certain standpoint you are right...home team is supposed to win.

FireTheCoach
05-13-2004, 12:33 AM
yeah.... Reggie was throwing up muddy broken bricks tonight.

But....

it never fails, when a thread gets started dogging Reggie as being finished, done etc. he pulls another rabbit outta his hat.

Personally.... as all the old timers can verify .... I have been big time on "Reggie is finished" since the 00-01 season. He was finished when the horn sounded to end game 6 in LA.

I've said this about 10000000 times on the IndyStar board over the last four years, "As long as Reggie Miller wears a Pacer uniform, the future will remain just that.... the future."

edit... it is funny to me that probably a lot of posters here think I am a newcomer when I actually had over 4000 posts to my credit on the old IndyStar Pacers forum and was active there since the beginning of the 99-00 season.

Millerartest
05-13-2004, 02:24 AM
How could Reggie have been done after the 2000 season when he almost singlehandedly lifted the Pacers past the Nets in 2001?

His playoffs have not been that impressive, but missing five in a row isn't that big of a deal. In the old days he would often miss five in a row, six in a row, seven in a row, then he'd make six in a row. Funny how when you're the man, you can miss tons in a row because you can keep shooting, but when you're not the man if you miss five in a row then you are done for.

If everybody who went 0-5 had a fork stuck in them, then there would be nodoby left to play.

And his defense still isn't that bad. He's no Artest, but look at Eddie Jones' numbers for the series. Reggie has been on him nearly the entire series. Teams don't run their offense to exploit Reggie's defense. But teams do cater their defenses to be sure that his long range shooting doesn't exploit them.

Let's just hope when the fork is finally stuck in, it doesn't take the rest of the franchise with it. Talent will only get you so far.

Artestaholic
05-13-2004, 02:40 AM
The problem with Reggie is he's deferred too much and his offensive game has become rusty because of it. I dont think hes washed up because of his age, as unlike the other stars whos game have declined over the years Reggie never relied on much athletism just pure skill. He's not gonna lose that shot. We need to set more screens to free him up for some more shots, get his offensive game on track early so he'll be more of a factor the entire game. The reason Miami doesnt sweat when Reggie gets the ball isnt because they dont think he can score, but they know hes gonna pass it to a bum like Austin Croshere. Make them pay with some 3s.

ABADays
05-13-2004, 09:12 AM
I don't know what games you have been watching but Miami has been all over him. Running in front of the screens, etc. If that isn't respect I don't know what is.

PistonsDynasty
05-13-2004, 01:09 PM
I don't know what games you have been watching but Miami has been all over him. Running in front of the screens, etc. If that isn't respect I don't know what is.

I saw it WITH MY OWN 2 EYES bro.

Reggie was guard by Eddie but every time J.O. got the ball on the low block Eddie came over to help and left Reggie open and Reggie bricked the open 3!!

Suaveness
05-13-2004, 01:13 PM

I saw it WITH MY OWN 2 EYES bro.

Reggie was guard by Eddie but every time J.O. got the ball on the low block Eddie came over to help and left Reggie open and Reggie bricked the open 3!!

Listen, NO ONE shot well yesterday. Everyone kept missing. Not a good game to base his play off of.

indygeezer
05-13-2004, 01:43 PM
Any body around here remember when George McGinnis went thru a really really bad shooting spell as a Pacer. After a few months of it he saw a doctor and ended up with glasses ...improved his shot greatly, for awhile anyway. Anybody know if Reggie wears contacts? Perhaps he should. I ain't a doc but that might explain good nights bad nights. His shots last night were nowhere near the basket...there has GOT to be some other explanation. Perhaps he needs glasses (he is of age ya'know).

Natston
05-13-2004, 02:32 PM
My problem now with Reggie is that he is so reluctant to shoot. :neutral:

Suaveness
05-13-2004, 03:47 PM
Everybody got upset at me for disputing that Reggie is "clutch", what do you guys think now?

Did you watch game 2?

As I keep saying, EVERYONE had a bad game. You CANNOT judge him by this game.

ChicagoJ
05-13-2004, 04:03 PM
I was afraid to come in here, but I'm going to repeat what I said in Peck's thread...

Why in the world does Reggie always follow up a Retro-Reggie game with several consecutive Old-Reggie games. Frankly, he's really hurt us the past two games because of his reluctance to take open shots or attack the basket. IMO, if I can sense his reluctance, then Rick should too. And then Rick should get Fred Jones in the game. No, Fred is not as good as Reggie, but with Fred you've got a chance to play five-on-five at both ends of the court. When Reggie is refusing to shoot, we're playing four-on-five at both ends of the court.