PDA

View Full Version : Choice Rumors from ESPN

Will Galen
01-30-2007, 11:10 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

Gasol Offered To Blazers
Jan 30 - Heard Portland was offered Pau Gasol ($12.3 million) for LaMarcus Aldridge ($4M), Sergio Rodriguez ($760G) and Jamaal Magloire's expiring ($8.433M) contract.

Without doubt, Gasol and Zach Randolph would be a daunting duo to defend, but they'd also be a serious threat to give up as much as they put up. -- New York Post

Peter Vecsey was the columnist reporting this.
---

Jones Out, Conroy In
Jan 30 - Eddie Jones didn't officially play due to a coach's decision, but has agreed to a contract buyout with the team.

The Griz could waive Jones as soon as today, and reportedly will sign former Washington guard Will Conroy to a 10-day contract. -- Memphis Commercial-Appeal

Conroy spent Monday flying to Memphis, and his first game in uniform figures to be Wednesday night when the Grizzlies host fellow Seattle native Jason Terry and the Dallas Mavericks.

"I'm excited, but you know, I've got to relax a little bit," Conroy said.

"I'm not a guy who chases the money but chases the dream," he said. "My dream was to play in the NBA." -- Seattle Times
---

No Appeal
Jan 30 - Magic GM Otis Smith, as usual this time of year, spent most of his Monday afternoon on his cell phone, talking with general managers from around the league, most looking to tinker with rosters through a trade.

"I'm making calls, and taking a lot of calls," Smith said. "But 90 percent of the time, we're hearing from people who want something for nothing. We're likely to take the team we have into the summer, and then we'll be busy."

He still gets calls about little-used Travis Diener, but no one has offered much real value in return. -- Orlando Sentinel
---

Point Guard Wanted
Jan 30 - "(Pat) Riley is on the make for a steadying influence at the point," an east coast exec corroborates. "If Miami has any chance of defending its crown, he knows he's got to get someone more dependable than Jason (Williams) and Gary Payton."

Williams is being shopped. During the offseason he underwent knee surgery and has yet to make a full recovery. That and his contract ($8.2M and $8.9M) make him a tough sell. Payton, meanwhile, is rapidly approaching retirement, the only thing he's doing quickly most evenings.

"That's not all Miami is in the hunt for," a west coast exec reveals. "A lot of calls are being made in hopes of landing a legit scorer, someone like Ricky Davis." -- New York Post
---

'Half' Don't Know
Jan 30 - He didn't say whether the national pundits who have expounded on his impatience and displeasure with Wolves brass are right, but Kevin Garnett did say Monday they didn't know what they were talking about.

"People put words in my mouth. Half these people that talk, I've never met in my life," he said.

"Half these people that say some of these things you hear have never spoken to me personally, and they're just making up stuff. At the end of the day it's just garbage." -- St. Paul Pioneer Press
---

New Land To Conquer
Jan 30 - Sarunas Jasikevicius brought that experience back stateside by signing a $12 million, three-year deal with the Pacers. That contract has one year remaining after this season, a $4 million player option that Jasikevicius said he plans to exercise.

"As a European player, (the NBA) was the last thing left to do," Jasikevicius said. "I knew I was good enough to play here for many years, but a good opportunity never presented itself. After the last time we won (the Euroleague title), I pretty much knew this was going to be it, I'm going to have to make that move, find a new thing to conquer." -- Contra Costa Times

There were people here on the Digest speculating he wouldn't exercise his option.
---

Magloire Frustrated
Jan 30 - Jamaal Magloire said he anticipates getting traded by the Trail Blazers before next month's deadline. He's playing only spot minutes as a backup.

"I'm just trying to be professional and handle things as best as I can," Magloire said. "It's definitely frustrating to settle, and that's what they're asking me to do. That's very hard for me because I worked so hard and just hate having to settle." -- New Orleans Times-Picayune
---

Refusing To Think Lottery
Jan 30 - The fact Danny Ainge was involved in the meeting yesterday in which the Celtics tried to discuss their way out of an 11-game losing streak runs counter to the theory that he'd just as soon run the table with defeats and pile up draft lottery tickets.

But, as crazy as it might sound, the players are taking things even further. Eight games out of first place in the Atlantic Division with 39 to play, the Celts were reaching to rays of hope yesterday.

"Every game we're going out to at least I know I'm going out to win basketball games," Delonte West said. "I think the team is also. We're still trying to turn the season around." -- Boston Herald
-------------------------------------

I thought Peter Vecsey's rumor of Pau Gasol being offered to Portland very interesting. From what I've read elsewhere it appears Memphis's GM West wants 2 young guys and aN expiring contract for Gasol.

I thought, "Darn we have young guys, but no expiring contract." (Where are you Austin Croshere when you are needed)

That made me go hmmm. If we could get Magloire's expiring contract from Portland, we might be able to do some business. Looking at possible trades I came up with this workable one on ESPN's trade checker.

Indiana Pacers
Incoming Players

Dan Dickau
Salary: $2,753,218 Years Remaining: 2
PTS: 2.6 REB: 0.5 AST: 0.9 PER: 8.39

Pau Gasol
Salary: $12,364,000 Years Remaining: 5
PTS: 20.2 REB: 8.0 AST: 3.0 PER: 25.28

Outgoing Players:

Jeff Foster,
Rawle Marshall,
Shawne Williams,
Jamaal Tinsley

Memphis Grizzlies
Incoming Players

Rawle Marshall
Salary: $664,209 Years Remaining: 1
PTS: 2.6 REB: 0.9 AST: 0.4 PER: 10.36

Shawne Williams
Salary: $1,367,760 Years Remaining: 2
PTS: 2.2 REB: 0.9 AST: 0.3 PER: 9.30

Jamaal Magloire
Salary: $8,433,334 Years Remaining: 1
PTS: 5.7 REB: 5.3 AST: 0.3 PER: 10.86

Outgoing Players: Pau Gasol

Portland Trail Blazers

Incoming Players

Jeff Foster
Salary: $5,500,000 Years Remaining: 3
PTS: 4.8 REB: 8.7 AST: 0.6 PER: 13.38

Jamaal Tinsley
Salary: $5,850,000 Years Remaining: 5
PTS: 12.6 REB: 3.4 AST: 6.3 PER: 15.10

Outgoing Players: Dan Dickau, Jamaal Magloire

Instead of Marshall or Williams we could substitute Harrison or Dioqu and the trade would still work. If Diogu, we would have to trade him by himself for a Memphis contract that works. I prefer to keep either Williams or Marshall in that order. That would make the Pacers roster look like this,

PF.....6'11 JO/ 6'10 Baston

SF.....6'9 Range/ 6'8 Diogu, (Instead of Diogu, 6'9 Williams, or 6'7 Marshall)

C......7'0 Gasol/ 6'11 Murphy/ 7'0 Harrison

PG....6'0 Dickau/ 6'1 Armstrong/ 6'4 Greene

SG....6'9 Dunleavy/ 6'6 Daniels

EDIT; I would want our 2nd round draft pick back from Portland also. They still would have 2 others.

Young
01-30-2007, 11:32 AM
I see no reason why we want Gasol, unless we can get rid of Troy Murphy in the process which it is unlikely we deal him so soon and it is unlikely he is wanted for Pau Gasol.

Secondly, the Blazers may want Jeff Foster but not Jamaal Tinsley. Heck I would think they have more use for Jamal Maglorie and his expiering contrac than Foster or Tinsley.

However, I have been thinking that the Pacers should take a look at Dan Dickau. Something like David Harrison or Keith McLeod for Dickau. DD has done nothing in Portland but he did have a nice season with the Hornets a couple of years ago. DD would give us a different look at point guard and is certainly more capable of playing good than McLeod or Greene, IMO.

Also, I saw on hoopshype that the Heat are looking to trade Jason Williams and they mention it here too. I was thinking of taking this opportunity to send Jamaal Tinsley to the Heat and Jason Williams here to Indiana. Only the Heat are looking for a second scoring opition as well so that may or may not work out for them.

I'd do that swap though. It's pretty much junk for junk but the junk we get only has one more year left on his contract after this season.

Unclebuck
01-30-2007, 12:15 PM
JO and Gasol on the same team won't work.

CableKC
01-30-2007, 12:29 PM

Gasol Offered To Blazers
Jan 30 - Heard Portland was offered Pau Gasol ($12.3 million) for LaMarcus Aldridge ($4M), Sergio Rodriguez ($760G) and Jamaal Magloire's expiring ($8.433M) contract.
If the Grizzlies want to lose some salary while cheap and young....that's not that bad of an trade. I think this doesn't make as much sense for the Blazers...cuz getting Gasol is more of a move for a team that wants to win now....as opposed to slowly rebuilding ( what the Blazers appear to be doing ) with young players.

Jones Out, Conroy In
Jan 30 - Eddie Jones didn't officially play due to a coach's decision, but has agreed to a contract buyout with the team.

I am guessing that we will hear the standard response from the Agent of a Player that has been bought out that will likely be immediately resigned by another team....."<< INSERT PLAYER'S NAME HERE >> wants to be in a winning team and win a championship ring ( I don't recall...did Eddie Jones already win a championship ring with the Lakers? ). The teams that are on the top of his list are Phoenix, Miami, Dallas, or Detroit".

My money is on Miami.

Hicks
01-30-2007, 12:35 PM
I'd be slightly interested in signing Eddie Jones. Not much room for him, but it'd help to have another option. Plus if I recall the man can shoot, right?

FlavaDave
01-30-2007, 12:55 PM
Hell yeah on Eddie Jones. He would help our weak backcourt while giving the young guys a great veteran influence. That would be cool.

Except: who do we cut?

Young
01-30-2007, 01:07 PM
Yeah I expect him to get to Miami.

He played there before for a while.

The Heat need a lot of help and Eddie can give them some shooting, defense, and overall veteran play.

It's been ironic that the year before the Lakers won their first championship Eddie was traded and then the same thing happened with the Heat. So right now he is ringless.

AesopRockOn
01-30-2007, 01:08 PM
lmao @ dickau

CableKC
01-30-2007, 01:10 PM
I'd be slightly interested in signing Eddie Jones. Not much room for him, but it'd help to have another option. Plus if I recall the man can shoot, right?
I compiled his stats over the last 3 full seasons ( given that he is 35 years old and has played in the NBA for 12 seasons.....I preferred to look at how he has done recently...which...IMHO is a more accurate depiction of what he is now capable of )

For a total of 8836 minutes over 265 games played ( since the start of the 2003-2004 season until now ):

33 MPG
13.1 PPG
4.1 FGM / 10.8 FGA / .41 FG%
1.7 3ptM / 4.9 3ptA / .36 3pt%
2.4 FTM / 3.0 FTA / .81 FT%
1.2 SPG
1.3 TOPG
4.0 RPG
2.6 APG

As a starting SG that will likely be a 3rd ( sometimes 2nd ) scoring option on the team, his stats aren't that bad given that he is 35 years old. If anything....its slightly comprable to SJax 2006-2007 overall stats with Indy from November to January ( although to SJax credit...his December Stats were far above his career averages ). I am guessing the difference is in Eddie's basketball smarts ( I'm assuming that he picked up some over his 12 year career ), experience and other intangibles that goes along with that.

If he can be had and is actually willing to come here for 2 seasons...then I am fine with that...but I doubt that he would go to Indy when teams like Miami, LA and Detroit will likely be asking for his services.

CableKC
01-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Yeah I expect him to get to Miami.

He played there before for a while.

The Heat need a lot of help and Eddie can give them some shooting, defense, and overall veteran play.

It's been ironic that the year before the Lakers won their first championship Eddie was traded and then the same thing happened with the Heat. So right now he is ringless.
If this is true:

"That's not all Miami is in the hunt for," a west coast exec reveals. "A lot of calls are being made in hopes of landing a legit scorer, someone like Ricky Davis." -- New York Post

then I'm guessing its a forgone conclusion that Jones will head back to Miami given the seasons that he played there. Jones may not put up huge #s...but Jones is the type of player the Riley ( while pulling the puppet strings of Rothstein ) wants on his team.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Heat move James Posey ( and his expiring Contract ) for some future 2nd round draft picks and small contracts to make room for him.

sixthman
01-30-2007, 01:39 PM
Portland needs Jamaal Tinsley like they need Reuben Patterson to return, so I'd say back to the drawing board.

Anthem
01-30-2007, 06:31 PM
I like Jones.

We need a 2-for-1 trade.

speakout4
01-30-2007, 09:53 PM
Where is Harrison these days? Is he recovering from some injury that is another one of those pacer mysterious ailment that no one is talking about? Is he in the RC dog house? I haven't even seen him on the bench.

Young
01-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Where is Harrison these days? Is he recovering from some injury that is another one of those pacer mysterious ailment that no one is talking about? Is he in the RC dog house? I haven't even seen him on the bench.

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe he fouled out from the bench? IDK.

speakout4
01-30-2007, 10:01 PM
I wonder why none of thes buyout guys ever want to come here .:rolleyes:

Will Galen
01-31-2007, 12:04 AM
Harrison has a shoulder injury. Last I read he's expected back after the all star game.

FlavaDave
01-31-2007, 08:12 AM
I wonder why none of thes buyout guys ever want to come here .:rolleyes:

In all fairness, usually buyout guys play for either 1) their hometown team (Webber), 2) the team they made their name with (Eddie Jones), or c) a team with a great chance at a title (Jalen Rose).

And it's not true to say buyout guys don't come here at all. Dale Davis did.

aceace
01-31-2007, 01:14 PM
I would stand pat with the team we have. At least through the end of the season. I see chemistry. GSW problem was their coach not their players.

Kegboy
01-31-2007, 01:28 PM
I love Eddie Jones, but he's gone the way of Steve Smith. Now that the character of this team has been addressed, we have no use for him.

speakout4
01-31-2007, 10:08 PM
In all fairness, usually buyout guys play for either 1) their hometown team (Webber), 2) the team they made their name with (Eddie Jones), or c) a team with a great chance at a title (Jalen Rose).

And it's not true to say buyout guys don't come here at all. Dale Davis did.

Dale came back but is now gone so he doesn't fit into the category of 1,2,or3.

FlavaDave
02-01-2007, 08:52 AM
Dale came back but is now gone so he doesn't fit into the category of 1,2,or3.

Why not?

He got released and signed with a "2". Just because he left after the season doesn't change the fact that he did it.

The statement was that the Pacers don't reel in those kind of players. DD is still a counter example.

Since we don't currently have any Hoosiers at the tail end of a huge contract nor are we a sure-fire championship contender, probably the only way we get a buyout guy is if a guy like Brad Miller or Croshire gets cut (which is highly unlikley). Plus, it's not like we have the roster space anyway.

EDIT: I suppose Miller qualifies as a Hoosier as well. Forgot about that.

I would venture to guess that if Brad Miller were cut (and there is no reason to believe that he will, I'm just using an example), he would almost certainly sign with the Pacers.

Naptown_Seth
02-01-2007, 12:05 PM
I agree with Flava - Dale is a "back to my source of fame" example. And Brad Miller would be a very likely candidate if he came on the market in the way that Webber did.

Let's see the list of buyouts that went to Seattle, Utah, Orlando, even the Knicks. People act like this is some outrageously common thing in which only the Pacers have been left behind, when in fact the Pacers are one of the few teams to actually get a player "for free" in recent years.

speakout4
02-01-2007, 10:18 PM
I agree with Flava - Dale is a "back to my source of fame" example. And Brad Miller would be a very likely candidate if he came on the market in the way that Webber did.

Let's see the list of buyouts that went to Seattle, Utah, Orlando, even the Knicks. People act like this is some outrageously common thing in which only the Pacers have been left behind, when in fact the Pacers are one of the few teams to actually get a player "for free" in recent years.
DD wanted a quick place to land after he was let go so he chose the comfort of the pacers but then his affection and nostalgia was short -lived so he went to the biggest rival. You want to count him as a player who has a soft spot for the pacers? I can't wait until we get Artest, peja, Al, to join DD soemtime in the future.

The other point you make is what about the other teams that didn't get buyouts but buyouts are rare so your point is moot. The fact that you don't hear buyout players listing the pacers as one of their choices doesn't bother you? How many players list NY as one of the teams they would like to go to such as Artest, and now kobe.