PDA

View Full Version : Is it too late to activate Brewer?

Netweeny
05-12-2004, 10:47 PM
Anybody think his defense would slow down Wade? He is getting in the lane WAY to easy.

I think Ron's flagrant was the result of him getting po'd that Tins or AJ can't slow him down, and he took it upon himself to show the team that if he get's in the lane, the big's need to lay some wood so he'll think twice about it. No one's really being fouling too hard till the end tonight. And that was just out of frustration. The P's need to go back to the Knick era and start putting the hammer down when those guards get in there.

Also, anyone see him talking to Siggy after the flagrant? Looked he was telling him he wanted him in there to guard Wade. :laugh:

Ragnar
05-12-2004, 10:59 PM
I am glad I am not the one whi is pointing out that the defensive pg who we left off the playoff roster could help us now. I didnt want to say that yet another playoffs goes by and the wrong players were left off the roster.

clownskull
05-13-2004, 07:30 PM
yes it is too late to activate him. once the playoff roster is set- that is it. absolutely nothing can get him on the active roster now. just have to wait til next year.

sweabs
05-13-2004, 07:45 PM
Artest said that he would like Brewer on the roster right about now...

wintermute
05-13-2004, 11:23 PM
i'm not sure how siggy could have helped. wouldn't he just be taking freddie's job?

Anthem
05-14-2004, 01:20 AM
We can't play Siggy right now. What we COULD do is give Freddy Jones all of the backup PG minutes.

ROCislandWarrior
05-14-2004, 01:23 AM
We can't play Siggy right now. What we COULD do is give Freddy Jones all of the backup PG minutes.

Fred won't shoot (atleast not on the road). So we have a team with two shooting guards that won't shoot the damn ball.

I know a guy who would love to shoot, his initials are JB, lets give him some minutes so he can atleast try to get in a grove.

beast23
05-14-2004, 08:15 AM
I said it before the playoffs started. :mad:Actually, I thought I was the only one who brought it up in the two threads about the playoff roster.

I suggested that the Pacers include Brewer on the playoff roster and leave off Kenny, since Carlisle won't play him anyway. I felt that Brewer would significantly help against our greatest weakness..... quick guards.

..... And I was promplty blasted by Ragnar, et. al.

Well.... amazing. Most of you are calling for Brewer now.

Funny how hindsight works.

Ragnar
05-14-2004, 09:47 AM
I said it before the playoffs started. :mad:Actually, I thought I was the only one who brought it up in the two threads about the playoff roster.

I suggested that the Pacers include Brewer on the playoff roster and leave off Kenny, since Carlisle won't play him anyway. I felt that Brewer would significantly help against our greatest weakness..... quick guards.

Hold on now I would never have blasted anyone for sugesting that we put Siggy on the playoff roster. If anything I have been the most vocal suporter of him getting playing time of anyone. I went on and on about how we have over the last several years left the wrong player off the playoff roster. Jeff in 00 Siggy last year and this year.

Now I may have been against leaving Kenny off over AJ but never over Siggy. But people keep teling me that they dont see anything when Siggy is onthe floor and I keep pointing out that the offense may not run as well as when Tins is on the floor but it runs better than with AJ and he is the better defender. What really sucks is I am sure that had he played in the summer league he would have gotten more playing time. I remember Rick being upset that he did not play. Brewer is one of my favorite Pacers and I am really worried that they are going to let him go. I love his energy and defense.

ChicagoJ
05-14-2004, 12:38 PM

Actually, you werent'. ;)

Might've been me.

I usually agree completely with Ragnar on PG play. But that's not true regarding Brewer. He's only fourth string this year beacuse he had a guaranteed contract and we couldn't afford to keep Cook to be fourth string and still pay Brewer to be fifth string.

beast23
05-14-2004, 01:49 PM
My apologies to Ragnar.

First of all, "blasted" was too strong a word.

And you are correct. You had a big problem with me singling out Kenny as the one who should be left off in favor of Siggy.

To me, Brewer's ability to run the offense would not be of relevance. If I were coach, he would be on the floor in 4-5 minute stretches for the sole purpose of putting the shackles on Wade. I'd let the SG or Artest bring the ball up if necessary. But I'd have no problem using Brewer with the other four starters, regardless of his offensive weaknesses. I'd just instruct him..... "You're in Wade's shorts. He's not to get into the paint and he's not to score. You are to totally disrupt everything Wade wants to do. Understood?" And I honestly believe that Brewer could do a very credible job in trying to satisfy that request.

I'd be willing to bet that Carlisle sure as heck wished he had Brewer on his roster right now. Because, assuming we progress to subsequent rounds, we'll face the same problem with the Pistons/Nets and with either of San Antonio or Sacramento.

Doug
05-14-2004, 02:19 PM
IMO, if we wanted to use Brewer as a stopper or in any other capacity, we should have at least tried it at on-and-off during the regular season.

The guy has been on IR almost all year. I like Brewer and think he could have contributed this year. But he didn't.

It feels like we're grasping at straws a bit. Pointing fingers, doubting our team. I hope the Pacers are holding up better that we are. :-)

Ragnar
05-14-2004, 02:50 PM
Might've been me.

I usually agree completely with Ragnar on PG play. But that's not true regarding Brewer. He's only fourth string this year beacuse he had a guaranteed contract and we couldn't afford to keep Cook to be fourth string and still pay Brewer to be fifth string.

While I agree that a lot of Brewers possesions lead to a lot of frenetic pace by him and then the same shot as we would have recieved with AJ in the game. I do think he is still better than AJ because of his rebounding and defense. He will learn to slow his ofensive game down with playing time. But he needs the time first.

Remember Brewer getting 17 minutes against the Heat and us winning by 22 points? I do.

I remember a game where the other team was on a huge run. They were scoring at will on us with Tins on the bench. Siggy got put in and the other team stopped scoring altogether. Now we didnt score much either but the other team was totaly taken out of the game by Siggy and his D on the oposing pg. I dont remember what team we were playing but Siggy came in and got a back court violation on his first play (I remember thinking holy cow AJ has rubbed off on him) but after that he totaly shut down the oposing pg.

Oh and he was not kept because we had to pay him. If you will remember Walsh exercised his option in order to keep him. His words were this kid deserves another look.

beast23
05-14-2004, 05:49 PM
IMO, if we wanted to use Brewer as a stopper or in any other capacity, we should have at least tried it at on-and-off during the regular season.

The guy has been on IR almost all year. I like Brewer and think he could have contributed this year. But he didn't.

It feels like we're grasping at straws a bit. Pointing fingers, doubting our team. I hope the Pacers are holding up better that we are. :-)Although Brewer played very little, I believe he was tried in that capacity. Almost every time he was inserted into the lineup, it was to get defensive relief far more than any contribution he could make offensively.

I'm not that concerned that we can beat Miami. I think we will do it in the 6 games, personally.

But I do believe that the Pacers have made a tactical mistake in creating their playoff roster. Bottom line is you put your defensive stoppers on your playoff roster... at least one at C, F and G if you have one. We're fortunate that Artest is both a starter and a stopper at SF and SG. We don't really have a defensive stopper at center and PF; JO is as close as we have. At PG, Freddie sometimes does a decent job, but Brewer is a very good defensive player who also happens to be one of the top 4-5 quickest players in the league.

I don't look forward to facing the same problem in the ECF and Finals, assuming that we progress. This problem with PG penetration was solvable if we had done a little planning. And I believe it would have done wonders in increasing our probability of success.

ChicagoJ
05-14-2004, 06:45 PM
It feels like we're grasping at straws a bit. Pointing fingers, doubting our team. I hope the Pacers are holding up better that we are. :-)

uhh....

Artest said that he would like Brewer on the roster right about now...

That can't make AJ feel good.

:(

Chemistry = :death: ?

Anthem
05-14-2004, 11:21 PM
[quote="PacerMan"] Artest does just fine initiating the offense./quote]

Shoot, instead of Artest initiating the offense why not put in a backcourt of Brewer and Jones? That should shut people down. And Jones initiates the offense when Johnson's in there anyway.

Not sure we could score either, but still.

able
05-15-2004, 07:24 AM
Interesting thread with some even more interesting consequences right now and a roll-over into the new season.

Fact: Brewer is not on the roster
Fact: He could've been usefull
Fact: He's Ron's protege
Fact?: his contract ends this year.

Take all this in consideration ,add to the soup some thoughts;

Thought: Carlisle likes a "set offense" aka a KA/AJ type PG
Thought: This team is much better with a Tins-like PG
Thought: Rick & Players clashed earlier this year, (Style of play) the players won
Thouhgt: Brewer might have a slowdown effect on Wade (and PG's to come)
Thought: Ron & the team like Brewer and want him to play (Ron does not in general speak like this without having back-up on the team)
Thought: On one hand it is a good thing his contract ends, (if that info is correct) in view of the expansion draft,
Thought: in view of Ron's love for Brewer, it could be likely he will get a new contract (it is worth keeping your stars happy)

Now what does that give us: SPECULATION :)

Over the year we have seen that LB and DW keep close reigns on the team, closer then we think, I am still convinced that Tins' return was in a large part due to LB.
Keepiing Ron happy is not that unimportant, he and JO are getting closer and closer, certainly if they are to contiue the carrying of the team like they have done, their chemistry is important, so is the team chemistry.
Now team chemistry is one thing that seems to be missing with AK or KA on the floor, the only reason personally am in favor of playing at the moment is because he has a better sense of running the offense the AJ and doesn't disrupt the chemistry as badly as AJ does, i'll take his lesser D for that

Backcourt future:

With Jones and Brewer as developping players in the most difficult position (though Wade makes you rethink that) PG/SG we could have a rosy future, Tins will develop further and will most likely be our starting PG for years to come. Now consider re-signing Brewer for the sake of keeping Artest happy and taking another chance on the future, if he develops as a PG he can take the backup minutes behnd Tins, we are stuck with AJ for another year, like it or not, so we have an ejection seat left, Fred is turning in a nice Combo and even Bender can take time at the 2 with a real PG besides him

So what will it be, will Brewer be offered a new contract ?

Interesting as it is, I think he will get a new contract, after someone had a talk with Rick.

Let's nto forget to inject players like Tins and Brewer Rick has to go away from his firm and old believes and change a part of his "style" of play. He has been "able" to do so with Tins, though I still think he does so reluctantly, Tins gets yanked very fast for a wild pass, AJ will get more minutes no matter how bad we play then. Rick wil have to accept a TO now and then in return for faster play, no grindout, which is a concept the players can play and will buy into very fast, we have a nujmber of yong versatile quick athletic players that can do that, more suited for that style anyway then the "grinding our" plays called from the bench.
And yes, game 3 & 4 Rick called over 90% of plays of the bench.

Perhaps he will learn to trust his players and their floor general a little more, it would be nice.