PDA

View Full Version : Jose Calderon: What does Pacer Nation think?

thunderbird1245
01-28-2007, 03:21 PM
A few days ago we had a thread dedicated to what point guard was in the league that we liked, and thought possibly could be obtained and would fit in well with the Pacers. I wrote an opinion in that thread about how I preferred The Raptors backup guard (current starter) Jose Calderon. Since we've now played Toronto again and most of us got to see Calderon play big minutes for the first time, Im curious to see what the boards overall impressions of him are.

Tbird

BlueNGold
01-28-2007, 03:43 PM
I can see why you had interest in him. The big thing with Jose is that he's very solid with no big gaps in his game. He can defend, make plays and shoot...all pretty well. Nothing spectacular, but better than any of our PG's and better than AJ was....better than Arroyo as well.

Now he's not at the Deron Williams, Chauncey Billups or Jason Kidd level, but he is a very good playmaker, decent shooter and good defender. He is also very quick.

I think he will be starting for someone before very long because he appears to be at the level of an average starting NBA PG.

sweabs
01-28-2007, 03:57 PM
He is as happy as one can be in Raptor-land.

Brilliant move by Colangelo to bring in Garbajosa...not only for his on-the-court skills, but to keep Jose around and happy (even if he should be getting more minutes).

Unclebuck
01-28-2007, 04:05 PM
I liked him a lot last season and still like him a lot

NPFII
01-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Calderon should be starting for the Raptors.

He's better than TJ Ford already. I really cant think of any reason that TJ Ford should be inserted back to the starting lineup. He should take the backup role.

The one aspect in which Jose is FAR better than TJ is decision making. In other aspects they are more or less the same...

Shooting: Jose > TJ
Passing: Jose = TJ
Penetrating: Jose < TJ
Defense: Jose = TJ
Spirit & Leadership: Jose = TJ
Decision making: Jose >> TJ

bulldog
01-30-2007, 11:52 AM
He's better than TJ Ford already. I really cant think of any reason that TJ Ford should be inserted back to the starting lineup. He should take the backup role.

TJ pushes the tempo a bit more, and that fits in with Colangelo's vision of the team.

Still, having two pretty good point guards is a pretty nice problem to have, huh?

edit: also, as CableKC said, what makes anyone think he's available. He's been playing great with TJ out and while his minutes will likely drop when TJ's back (which I hear is soon), I don't think the Raptors are looking for a trade.

CableKC
01-30-2007, 11:58 AM
I'm under the impression that the Raptors wouldn't be willing to give up on him.

Also.....one of my requirements in acquiring a PG is that we have to get rid of Tinsley.....unless we decide to keep Tinsley.....either as a starter or a backup PG...which I would think is really strange and unlikely.