PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Raptors - the Raptors angle

NPFII
01-28-2007, 08:54 AM
I've been following the Raptors all season long cause they
1. Have Anthony Parker
2. Publish torrents of all their games, so I can follow easily

And since I've been following the Pacers for the past year and a half or so, and I got to watch the game live on the internet - I'd like to share my perspective:

Bosh-O'neal
To me it's pretty amazing how these 2 players are similar. They play the role of the bigman star of the team who need to have good games for their teams to succeed. Last night Bosh had a below average game. He was forcing too much, settling for jumpers, and being his usual non-aggressive self on defence. O'neal was playing better. Probably the best style I've seen from him. Posting up and passing out. Barely forcing fadeaways, and always keeping the Raps interior defense on its heels. JO is the one who dished out to Granger's 3rd quarter 3's, and JO was the one playing great defense on Bosh. He seems more mature, and more understanding of his new role. Really surprised me.

Granger, Quis
These guys obviously profitted from the trade in playing time, but more importantly in playing style, and in definitive roles. Quis penetrates and dishes. Danny shoots 3's. They both had very good games (especially Danny hitting a wild %, and Quis with that prayer shot that went in). It's obvious they're confidence levels are high and they are finally playing to their potential.

New guys - Dunleavy, Murphy
Dunleavy was ok. Not great, but played solid. I'm not sure there's much more to his game than what he's giving right now. 15 points on so-so shooting, a few rebs, some assists in 30 minutes. Overall he shares the ball and doesnt force nearly as much as Jax or Al. Murphy was superb IMO. "Foster with a midrange jumper" is an understatement. His rebounding was excellent, his defense was great - both the man to man, but especially the help on screens, which is what the Raps really like to do. His "midrange" extends almost to the 3 point line. If he keeps this up - he's clearly going to help the Pacers A LOT. Diogu, by the way, although didnt play a lot showed what he's about - inside presence with a body not big enough IMO. Unless he develops a midrange shot and some ball handling - he'll see more bench than court. Overall - I'd say the trade is REALLY working out so far for the Pacers.

A bit about the Raptors
The Raps are going up. 3 straight wins before this game (without TJ Ford), and 7-3 in the last 10. Their style of play dictates the ball be in the PGs hands to initiate, which primarily means penetrate or "get the ball to Bosh". On rare occasions do they use the wings or have any other go-to plays. It's sufficient when Bosh can dominate, but it's not good enough when Bosh is struggling or facing a strong defensive opponent, like last night. Personally IMO they're usage of Anthony Parker is almost outrageous. I'm pretty sure next year when Mitchell will be out Parker's role will be a much more productive one (btw - what a DUNK on O'neal!). Bargnani is learning, Garbo is still adjusting, Ford, Calderon, Bosh, Graham - they're still kids. Toronto needs a rebounding presence - a "banger" (somewhat like Murphy or Foster), and a coach to design some plays for this group of talented players - and they can really become a threat.

What won the game for the Pacers
I'll give a few reasons off the top of my head:
1. Toronto coming off a back-to-back. Not surprising the Pacers made their run late 3rd early 4th, and the Raps didnt have the gas for a run back.
2. Excellent shooting from the Pacers side - 50% 3's (11-22). 2nd half percentages were outstanding, and not for the lack of defense.
3. Clutch (& lucky) daggers from Armstrong (7 straight points early 4th to push lead to 10+), Marquis (THE shot) and Tinsley (2 3's to seal the deal)
4. Defending Bosh - Chris had a rough day at the office against Murphy and Oneal
5. JO's share-the-ball winning strategy
6. Defensive rebounding, especially from Murphy & Foster. It was 1&Done all night for the Raps.

It was a closer game than the final score suggests. In a 7-game series I'm not sure which team prevails, and if you take a look at the standings - it might just come to that...

Mourning
01-28-2007, 09:24 AM
Well with all due respect to Toronto, I actually like what they are trying to do and are building up there, I think we normally should win a 7-game series against them.

Why? Because, I think, our rebounding, team defence and experience are superior to what Toronto can put against that. I am also VERY pleasantly surprised by the improvement on our ballhandling and game smarts. Also the team post-trade is still gelling and we haven't even seen Keith yet who might give us an extra defensive chip in the backcourt.

I realize Ford wasn't in the game which also was major for us. The second night of a back-to-back and an away game for Toronto, offcourse, also played roles here. I still think we would win a playoff-series against the Raptors 4-2 or if pressed maybe 4-3.

It doesn't matter though, because it's all pure speculation.

I must say that I am surprised that on some Toronto boards Joey Graham is getting so much flak from the fans. A lot of them continously curse Babcock for not taking Danny with two picks ahead of us at 16.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Anthem
01-28-2007, 01:52 PM
NPF, I gotta say, Anthony Parker is a better player than I remembered. He's really improved over the years. I'd be interested to see what he'd do defensively against a real 2-guard (he had to guard Dunleavy, which isn't very hard), but his offense is right there.

A good pickup for the Raptors. I wish we'd signed him instead of Sarunas.

Isaac
01-28-2007, 02:33 PM
I don't know why you say Diogu needs to develop a midrange jumper, that's one of the strongest aspects of his game. He has great ability to hit out to 18 feet.

Alpolloloco
01-28-2007, 02:50 PM
NPF, I gotta say, Anthony Parker is a better player than I remembered. He's really improved over the years. I'd be interested to see what he'd do defensively against a real 2-guard (he had to guard Dunleavy, which isn't very hard), but his offense is right there.

A good pickup for the Raptors. I wish we'd signed him instead of Sarunas.

I wished we signed both Sarunas and Parker to reunite the Maccabi trio!

Further on I wish you stop now with your pure hatred on Sarunas, the guy is gone but you still can't stop saying negative things about him. Grow up Anthem (which by the way was a good Japanese metal band in the eighties)!

Seed
01-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Parker's got the 'dunk of the night'.

http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/dotn/dotn_070127.asx (http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/dotn/dotn_070127.asx)

Jetman
01-28-2007, 03:57 PM
how do you get ahold of the torrents? would love to download a few pacer games, even if it is only when the play the raptors....???

NPFII
01-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Parker was 2-time Euroleague MVP. Only a blind scout could miss him ("hmmm who's that "Nash" character - he seems pretty good")...
My guess is more contract-money oriented issues were involved.

If you'd like to re-unite, you should've gotten Sarunas, Baston, Parker and ... Vujcic. Once again - only blind scouts wouldn't acknowledge Nikola Vujcic as the current best Center in the Euroleague. Still quite young, and playing his best ball ever. He's the last remainder of the best Maccabi team ever. :(

Anyway, you can get the torrents at http://bt.davka.info , and there's a link there to another torrent site called SportBit.org that also has some.

Anthem
01-28-2007, 10:02 PM
Further on I wish you stop now with your pure hatred on Sarunas, the guy is gone but you still can't stop saying negative things about him. Grow up Anthem (which by the way was a good Japanese metal band in the eighties)!
What the heck? I went out of my way to say I was wrong about Parker, and the only thing you read was that I hate Sarunas?

We could have had Saras or Parker, but not both. It really is an either-or proposition. You can't sign bunches of guys during the same season... the salary cap just doesn't work that way. It was public knowledge that Bird was talking both to Sarunas and to Parker... I was just saying that I wish we'd used our exception on Parker instead of Sarunas. That doesn't mean I hate him.