PDA

View Full Version : WHOA - End of season schedule.

Los Angeles
01-28-2007, 01:07 AM
Thought I'd point this out -

During the last 7 weeks of the season, The Pacers will play NINE back-to-back sets. Of the 18 games in those back-to-backs, 14 are on the road.

I'm glad we're winning some games now, because I don't know how we're going to get through that meat grinder of a schedule without taking some heavy lumps.

Trader Joe
01-28-2007, 01:10 AM
I think that if the team can gel now and win games we will be just fine during that stretch.

owl
01-28-2007, 09:08 AM
Depth is good and the Pacers have plenty. That will help in these back to back
sets.

Unclebuck
01-28-2007, 09:14 AM
The first 3 weeks of March are going to be extremely difficult.

Road games at - Phoenix, Clippers, Jazz, Cavs, Rockets, Spurs (all playoff teams) oh but then we come home and play the Heat (who should be rolling by them) Bulls and Cavs - all 3 of the top 4 teams in the east.

Last summer as I looked at the schedule the two toughest stretches were right after Thanksgiving through mid December and the month of March

arenn
01-28-2007, 09:36 AM
We really do need to put together a string of wins here while we are still pretty much an unknown. It won't take other teams long to start making adjustments to what we are doing and the new personnel we have on the floor.

Naptown_Seth
01-28-2007, 05:13 PM
Thought I'd point this out -

During the last 7 weeks of the season, The Pacers will play NINE back-to-back sets. Of the 18 games in those back-to-backs, 14 are on the road.

I'm glad we're winning some games now, because I don't know how we're going to get through that meat grinder of a schedule without taking some heavy lumps.
This probably should go in the Tough Schedule thread, which is just general schedule talk at this point. But yeah, we've been talking about some of this there too. I hadn't pulled up the back to back situation though.

They must get fat during FEB, that's for sure.

Los Angeles
01-28-2007, 09:36 PM
And this game right here is a prime example of how tough it is to play the second game of a back-to-back - especially on the road.

Pacers looked dead tonight.

Of the 9 back-to-backs mentioned before:

3 of them are Away, Home.
2 of them are Home, Away.
4 of them are Away, Away.
and a big goose egg for home, home.

Making the second game of the back to backs in question on the road 6 out of the 9 times. If you add next weekend's back to back, that makes 7 of 10.

[/captainobvious]

Robertmto
01-29-2007, 04:22 AM
The first 3 weeks of March are going to be extremely difficult.

Road games at - Phoenix, Clippers, Jazz, Cavs, Rockets, Spurs (all playoff teams) oh but then we come home and play the Heat (who should be rolling by them) Bulls and Cavs - all 3 of the top 4 teams in the east.

Last summer as I looked at the schedule the two toughest stretches were right after Thanksgiving through mid December and the month of March

dont forget the home game on March 14th.

Unclebuck
01-29-2007, 08:39 AM
Pacers record so far in the second half of back to backs

3-9

Young
01-30-2007, 10:36 PM
Did anyone see TNT a while back, heck it could have been last week IDK, but anyways Kenny Smith made an interesting comment about how back to back games are overratted because he thinks you get more rest on back to back games. He said that on back to back games you don't have a morning practice so you sleep in until 11 and you are likely to have a shoot around or something. But on games where you didn't play one the night before you get a practice at say 8-9 so you have to get up earlier.

I don't know how true that is. It might depend on who the coach is too but I found that interesting because back to back games are always looked at as difficult and such, which i'm sure it does take a toll on you.

Naptown_Seth
01-31-2007, 12:56 AM
Well I think a big part of that view is the results teams typically have in those games. Smith can say what he wants, but the Pacers this year are far from the only club that struggles to win in that situation.

Just like the home/road thing. It's supported by W-L numbers far beyond just basic chance. SOMETHING makes teams lose on the road and in back to backs when the 2nd one is on the road. Maybe it's not having practice, whatever. The point remains the same, they mean trouble for your team when you see a bunch on the schedule.