PDA

View Full Version : get anthony johnson THE HELL OUT OF THE PACERS

zxc
05-12-2004, 10:45 PM
There is no way anyone can blame AJ for this game tonight. What did Tinsley do out there? What did ANYONE do out there besides Ron and JO? AJ actually hit some tough shots in the second quarter that kept us in the game at the point. Did more than some guys at least.

Unclebuck
05-12-2004, 10:46 PM
What a stupid post. Idiot

Suaveness
05-12-2004, 10:54 PM
Um...you really are an idiot. The game wasn't much better when Tinsley was in the game either.

Ragnar
05-12-2004, 10:56 PM
Suave you say that but I bet when the plus minus is out AJ's - is going to be big and Tinsley will actually be a plus. You have to remember that they were way down when he came back both times. And they were up when he went out the first time and only down 2 when he went out the second time.

Suaveness
05-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Suave you say that but I bet when the plus minus is out AJ's - is going to be big and Tinsley will actually be a plus. You have to remember that they were way down when he came back both times. And they were up when he went out the first time and only down 2 when he went out the second time.

Didn't help at the end of the game though, did it? I don't know WHY everyone is blaming individuals for the loss. Fact is, the Indiana Pacers consisted of JO and Artest. No one else came to play.

sweabs
05-12-2004, 11:01 PM
why are you people so ignorant? just watch the game and see how horrible A.J. runs the offense. He should go back to the CBA that lil fat smuck

MAN - YOU CANNOT BLAME HIM FOR THIS...LOOK AT THE ENTIRE TEAM BESIDES RON AND JERMAINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Suaveness
05-12-2004, 11:02 PM
why are you people so ignorant? just watch the game and see how horrible A.J. runs the offense. He should go back to the CBA that lil fat smuck'

Try posting without insulting him. Fact is, almost no one played well today. And AJ is NOT the reason why we lost. We couldn't play DEFENSE.

indygeezer
05-12-2004, 11:04 PM
Ya wanna blame somebody??? Look at Al HArrington's grand total of 5 rebounds for the last two games...only 2 tonight!!!

flip
05-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Except for JO and RON doing great, with the rest playing titly winks, why not try Bender and Anderson...............

Hicks
05-12-2004, 11:12 PM
Enough with the name calling.

Unclebuck
05-12-2004, 11:21 PM
Sorry, I supposed I started this one.

But complaining about AJ and saying he needs to be gotten rid of just seems silly. Only two players did much of anything tonight. AJ did not play a lot of minutes tonight.

Sorry about the name calling, I usually don't do that.

Unclebuck
05-12-2004, 11:25 PM
Sorry, I supposed I started this one.

But complaining about AJ and saying he needs to be gotten rid of just seems silly. Only two players did much of anything tonight. AJ did not play a lot of minutes tonight.

Sorry about the name calling, I usually don't do that.

WHAT GOOD DOES A.J. DO???? NAME IT

I apologize for calling you a name, but I'll be damned if I am going to respond to you any further

PistonsDynasty
05-12-2004, 11:32 PM
Since I'm not a Pacer fan I think my opinion is neutral.

I'm going to put it like this. Nooo, A.J. is a great back-up but he gets the JOB DONE. You can't expect your back-up point to break guys off the dribble and drive to the hoop and take 3 defenders with him and kick it out to the open man for a 3.

But I also see why some guys hate him. It seems like he doesn't TRY to set guys up. He also starts the offense with about 10 secs left in the shot clock. The only thing A.J. does when he's out there is try to feed the post and he's half decent at that.

But you can't hate on A.J. A.J. is A.J. we all knew what type of player he was when he was on the Nets. If anyone you should be upset with is Larry Bird. He brings in a sub-par half-way decent PG??

kerosene
05-12-2004, 11:33 PM
But you can't hate on A.J. A.J. is A.J. we all knew what type of player he was when he was on the Nets. If anyone you should be upset with is Larry Bird. He brings in a sub-par half-way decent PG??

Walsh brought in AJ before Bird was onboard. IIRC.

Suaveness
05-12-2004, 11:34 PM
You guys are being WAY too critical of AJ. Is AJ the reason why we lost? No. As far as I saw, we scored more than enough points. Our DEFENSE was bad.

indygeezer
05-12-2004, 11:37 PM
I'll just quietly point out that in his press conference, Coach criticized Harrington for being out of position on defense too much. But I'm not hating on him (yet). You'll know when I am when I suggest he be left unprotected for the expansion draft (which I'm close to doing). :mad:

PistonsDynasty
05-12-2004, 11:37 PM

Good looking. But you know where I was going with that :D

indygeezer
05-12-2004, 11:38 PM

That's what I( thought too Kerosene.

Artestaholic
05-13-2004, 02:36 AM
Anthony Johnson does suck. He may be an adaquate backup on a mediocre team like Detroit or Golden State, but he's not good enough for the Pacers. Kenny Anderson > Anthony Johnson
And wtf was Austin Croshere in the game PERIOD let alone crucial minutes in the 4th quarter? That pale freak is horrible and has the worst body control I've ever seen on an "athlete". And wtf does Jermaine O'Neal play like a monster the first 3 quarters then take his little sissified turn around hooks in the final minutes of all games? Is he afraid of the refs or what? Take it up with some agression you little weenie!
Pacers in 6 still....Miami cant beat us at Conseco.

ABADays
05-13-2004, 09:13 AM
:rolleyes:

DisplacedKnick
05-13-2004, 09:30 AM
I've generally been down on AJ but not last night. Yeah, he couldn't run the offense but guess what - when he was in, JO and Artest were resting. Magic Johnson couldn't have run an offense last night without those two in the lineup.

In fact, I thought AJ was one of the better Pacers in the 2nd quarter. He made a nice running one-hander and I doubt if Tinsley would have made the layup at the buzzer.

Not to absolve him or anything because he gets some blame - there's plenty to go around. But focussing on a backup PG as the primary target is stupid.

Actually, if you were gonna blame people last night, I'd give it this priority:

1. Reggie
2. Reggie (have to give him 2 because he was so useless on both offense and defense)
3. Harrington
4. Foster
5. Bender - WTF was the jump ball thing he did?
6. Jones
7. Tinsley (it didn't look like he played that well but let's face it - when nobody moves without the ball it's tough for a PG to look good)
8. AJ
9. Croshere
10. Artest
11. JO
12. Pollard (I know he didn't play but it was so bad that he's guilty by association)

Carlisle gets in there somewhere because the team obviously didn't stick with the game plan once Miami made their run to start the 3rd. The first half wasn't terrible (not great but at least they stuck with cutting down players getting to the rim and making them hit outside shots) but from about the 8-minute mark of the 3rd it was over and they never got it back.

Slick Pinkham
05-13-2004, 09:38 AM
Al played even worse than AJ, and THAT hurts A LOT more, since Al is actually GOOD and we expect him to do something.

He looked like he did last year against Boston. He was having an Isiah flashback moment, probably looking over his shoulder expecting Ron Mercer to come in and play the point.

I guess people aren't going to rag on me for being overly concerned with Miami's talent. I've pretty consistently said for months that they could give us trouble, though I thought they'd be gone in 5 games.

ChicagoJ
05-13-2004, 12:47 PM
Yeeesh, I'm glad I've stayed out of this thread until now.

Actually, if you were gonna blame people last night, I'd give it this priority:

1. Reggie
2. Reggie (have to give him 2 because he was so useless on both offense and defense)

:laugh: Sad but true.
3. Harrington
4. Foster
5. Bender - WTF was the jump ball thing he did?
6. Jones
7. Tinsley (it didn't look like he played that well but let's face it - when nobody moves without the ball it's tough for a PG to look good)
8. AJ

:crazy:

9. Croshere
10. Artest
11. JO
12. Pollard (I know he didn't play but it was so bad that he's guilty by association)

:laugh: Again, sad but true.

Not to absolve him or anything because he gets some blame - there's plenty to go around. But focussing on a backup PG as the primary target is stupid.

Its just that Tinsley is the one guy that we don't have any adequate backup for. Croshere for Foster isn't a serious decline. Harrington or even Bender for Artest, JO or Foster isn't usually much of a downgrade. Freddie continues to surprise me with his ability to back up the Uncle - at the beginning of the season I thought this would be our trouble spot.

But our team just grinds to a halt when AJ replaces Tinsley. I find it really ironic that I was complimenting Rick for bringing Tinsley back *earlier than normal* last night (although still too late IMO) and then I see all the AJ-hatred this morning. Just think how angry everyone would be if AJ got his regular allocation of minutes. :rolleyes:

I just want to hear some lady with a fake British accent say, "AJ, you are the weakest link. Goodbye."

Unclebuck
05-13-2004, 01:14 PM
The only play that totally disgusted me was the jump ball. That was so bad on about 5 counts. That type of play is how you lose important playoff games. Too give up a break away dunk in that situation is inexcusable.

able
05-13-2004, 06:14 PM
whoopee, yeah, anything to NOT blame AJ or AL "I'M THE MAN" HARRINGTON

We even state that AJ played better then Tins ? knickerbocker, your bball brains have left the building: Fetch!

And then Bender, yeah lets blame him! after all he played a full F'NG 2 minutes!

Cro was just below Artest???? You must have seen something else then i've heard, but i'll see it tomorrow, and tell you exactly what i think.

Start the list with Carlisle, Harrington at 2 and AJ at 3

Reggie was playing poor but after so many years he has the right to not e here for a change.

TheSauceMaster
05-13-2004, 06:32 PM
wait I am confused :confused:

Reggie not playing good in last years playoffs , and pretty much a ghost in this years playoffs ...has a right to not play good ? and still be worthy of good playing mins :confused:

I hope were not laying all our eggs in one basket and expecting a reggie miller miracle , if we are were gonna lose this series. If was the coach you don't produce you sit and I don't care who you are or what you were in the past ..the pacers need players to step up now.

Where is this Guy they Call Reggie Miller ..Mr Clutch , The one who talks how he loves to play on the Road in the Playoffs ?

ChicagoJ
05-13-2004, 06:52 PM
oh GOD why don't you people understand. REggie Miller's presense on the floor alone changes how the game is played. IT changes how teams guard J.O. and Artest because you have to guard Reggie tight or he will burn you. Reggie will show up this playoff. He has proven he is still REGGIE LEGEND but Reggie being on the court helps our teams offense.

Perhaps because some of us are watching the current team and not living two or five years into the past.

It would be nice, in theory, if what you said were true. But its not.

If Reggie passes up open looks, he's hurting the team. Seriously, if I were coaching against the Pacers at this stage of his career, knowing that he can only have a breakout game about once every three to four weeks, I'd take my chances on leaving him alone. Once he hits a couple of shots then I'd think about trying to shut him down.

Now its true that we don't have any other outside shooters, and that hurts the flow of offense. But that's management's fault; and its not a justification to keep Reggie in the game when he's hurting the team.

TheSauceMaster
05-13-2004, 07:01 PM
Thank You Jay again ;)

You said what I was trying to say :thumbup:

I don't mind Reggie playing but if he is gonna put little or no points up how does this really help us ?

We are 16-1 when Reggie Scores 15+ points ..just think if we coulda had Reggie Score those 15 needed points each of the past 2 games , we might have won :neutral:

beast23
05-13-2004, 08:45 PM
fact is AJ's been killing leads for this team ALL season long.
Seems like a decent guy, works hard. plays good D.
Can't run an offense to save his life.

Kenny should play. AJ should sit.

I suspect the only reason he's playing is he's the best match on Wade. Wade will kill Kenny on O.

But I think it'd be worth it to have our offense actually FUNCTION :unimpressed:A lot of you guys have ragged on AJ since early in the season.

So why does AJ play over Kenny? Could it possibly be because he is the second-best fit at the PG position that we have on the roster?

So many of you just focus on one skill and one skill only and that is distribution. You say that the offense stagnates under AJ.

Yet if you opened your eyes, you would realize that Kenny is basically a Travis Best clone. His only means of creating opportunities for his teammates is by pursuing his own opportunities first. As his opportunities break down, he (hopefully) finds opportunities for his teammates. If his opportunities don't break down, then by god Kenny is going to take the shot..... just like Travis.

This method of running the point, although sometimes effective for Kenny, is apparently not very popular with Rick Carlisle.

I think that one thing is very clear to me. Kenny will not be in a Pacer uniform next season. For two reasons. First, he's disappointed and there is no way he will re-sign. Second, Carlisle obviously has no intention of playing him over AJ.

Another thing would not surprise me. And that is, if teams are allowed to modify rosters between rounds of the playoffs, that Kenny is bumped in favor of Brewer for the next round. Don't know if they are allowed to or not, but I somehow wondered about that after reading one of this morning's articles.

The biggest problem that I believe this team has right now is not poor rebounding. It's Miami's penetration into the lane. Most of the time, Reggie does fine in preventing EJ from driving. However, we have no one on our current roster capable of staying with Wade.

TheSauceMaster
05-13-2004, 09:02 PM
If anyone would like to goto http://www.82games.com

AJ's +/- figure with every pacer player is -2
Kenny Anderson +88

I don't think I have found a stat yet that proves AJ is a better player than Kenny Anderson and most the stats aren't even close..

Specifically I am talking about this page http://www.82games.com/0304INDP.HTM

ChicagoJ
05-13-2004, 11:48 PM
A lot of you guys have ragged on AJ since early in the season.

So why does AJ play over Kenny? Could it possibly be because he is the second-best fit at the PG position that we have on the roster?

So many of you just focus on one skill and one skill only and that is distribution. You say that the offense stagnates under AJ.

Yet if you opened your eyes, you would realize that Kenny is basically a Travis Best clone. His only means of creating opportunities for his teammates is by pursuing his own opportunities first. As his opportunities break down, he (hopefully) finds opportunities for his teammates. If his opportunities don't break down, then by god Kenny is going to take the shot..... just like Travis.

This method of running the point, although sometimes effective for Kenny, is apparently not very popular with Rick Carlisle.

I think that one thing is very clear to me. Kenny will not be in a Pacer uniform next season. For two reasons. First, he's disappointed and there is no way he will re-sign. Second, Carlisle obviously has no intention of playing him over AJ.

Another thing would not surprise me. And that is, if teams are allowed to modify rosters between rounds of the playoffs, that Kenny is bumped in favor of Brewer for the next round. Don't know if they are allowed to or not, but I somehow wondered about that after reading one of this morning's articles.

The biggest problem that I believe this team has right now is not poor rebounding. It's Miami's penetration into the lane. Most of the time, Reggie does fine in preventing EJ from driving. However, we have no one on our current roster capable of staying with Wade.

Beast, I'll give you that AJ is better than Kenny, especially defensively. Both players way too much like Travis Bust (never a typo) for my taste anyway. Kenny, like you said, in that he looks for his own shot too much; AJ in that he just couldn't run the offense to save his life. At least AJ can score when he drives to the basket, unlike Travis Worst who always led the league on "own shots blocked."

Anyway, I'm fine with AJ playing spot minutes over Kenny. My issue is that the backup PG gets way too many minutes. I don't see why a young guy like Tinsley is only allowed about 32 mpg when he's clearly superior to his backup.

PacerMan, would your complaints go away if Tinsley played closer to 40 minutes and AJ closer to 8?

Oh, and once you set your playoff roster, you have to be down to only eight healthy bodies before you can bring anybody off the injured list. So the likelihood of Brewer's activation is extremely remote.

[hr]
It can't be good for team chemistry when one of your best players makes it clear he'd rather have the fourth stringer (and he's fourth string for a reason, he's even worse than AJ and KA at running the offense and his defense is "deceptively bad" in spite of his quickness and his ability to chase guys all over the court) instead of the guys that are playing.

Good thing Artest kept his composure during the game last night. Uh, check that...

:sadbanana:

ChicagoJ
05-13-2004, 11:49 PM
We are 16-1 when Reggie Scores 15+ points ..just think if we coulda had Reggie Score those 15 needed points each of the past 2 games , we might have won :neutral:

Hell, if he had scored fifteen points in the two games --combined -- this series might have been a sweep.

:mad:

Unclebuck
05-14-2004, 12:19 AM
If anyone would like to goto http://www.82games.com

AJ's +/- figure with every pacer player is -2
Kenny Anderson +88

I don't think I have found a stat yet that proves AJ is a better player than Kenny Anderson and most the stats aren't even close..

Specifically I am talking about this page http://www.82games.com/0304INDP.HTM

That stat is like that because Kenny was playing with the starters earlier in the year. When you play with great players like J.O and Artest they will make you look good.

Anthem
05-14-2004, 01:29 AM
I'm not quite as anti-Johnson as some of you guys, but I think it would be an interesting experiment to give Freddy the backup pg minutes.

Slick Pinkham
05-14-2004, 10:16 AM
I'm not quite as anti-Johnson as some of you guys, but I think it would be an interesting experiment to give Freddy the backup pg minutes.

That would be a good experiment to try in the preseason, but not in the playoffs.

TheSauceMaster
05-14-2004, 10:26 AM
Well I dunno how anyone will take this but I would dump AJ in a heartbeat to have Mark Jackson as Back PG :D

fwpacerfan
05-14-2004, 11:02 AM
To blame AJ for the 2 debacles in games 3 & 4 is ludicrous. This team is playing just like last year's team did in the playoffs. When the entire Pacers team didn't show up for game 3 (and yes that includes JO and Artest) they let the Heat back in the series. I thought they would bounce back for game 4 and they did, but it wasn't enough. The scariest thing about game 4 was that I thought the Pacers played fairly well and they still got smoked. That is why it is imperative to show up EVERY NIGHT in the playoffs, you take a night off and you cost yourself the series.

I have a horrible suscpicion that the Pacers are going to lose game 5 and game 6. I saw nothing that has led me to believe they will win another game and I'm the eternal optimist around here. They lost game 3 because they didn't care enough to show up and put forth a good effort, then they play well and still lose by double digits. I think the Heat have figured this team out. It's very sad that the entire season is going up in flames before our very eyes. :giveup:

ChicagoJ
05-14-2004, 11:09 AM
To blame AJ for the 2 debacles in games 3 & 4 is ludicrous. This team is playing just like last year's team did in the playoffs. When the entire Pacers team didn't show up for game 3 (and yes that includes JO and Artest) they let the Heat back in the series. I thought they would bounce back for game 4 and they did, but it wasn't enough. The scariest thing about game 4 was that I thought the Pacers played fairly well and they still got smoked. That is why it is imperative to show up EVERY NIGHT in the playoffs, you take a night off and you cost yourself the series.

I have a horrible suscpicion that the Pacers are going to lose game 5 and game 6. I saw nothing that has led me to believe they will win another game and I'm the eternal optimist around here. They lost game 3 because they didn't care enough to show up and put forth a good effort, then they play well and still lose by double digits. I think the Heat have figured this team out. It's very sad that the entire season is going up in flames before our very eyes. :giveup:

uh oh. I better say something that sounds like I'm in the 'Sunshine Brigade' quickly to counter-balance this.

:D

I believe the difference is our coach. He's not perfect, but unlike last year he'll actually help the team through this playoff adversity. And he's been distracted (legitimately) over the past few days with the new baby and everything. I truly believe they'll come home, re-gain thier confidence, win Game #5 and play a competitive game #6. Don't know if they'll win it or not - but even so I'll take my chances against Miami in game #7 at home.

EDIT - just to prove I haven't completely lost my mind, I'm still scared the Pistons will beat the :censor: out of us later.

fwpacerfan
05-14-2004, 11:21 AM

uh oh. I better say something that sounds like I'm in the 'Sunshine Brigade' quickly to counter-balance this.

I believe the difference is our coach. He's not perfect, but unlike last year he'll actually help the team through this playoff adversity. And he's been distracted (legitimately) over the past few days with the new baby and everything. I truly believe they'll come home, re-gain thier confidence, win Game #5 and play a competitive game #6. Don't know if they'll win it or not - but even so I'll take my chances against Miami in game #7 at home.

EDIT - just to prove I haven't completely lost my mind, I'm still scared the Pistons will beat the :censor: out of us later.

I hope you are right, but it seems to me that this team thinks that just because they are at home they will win. The Heat have to win a road game SOMETIME don't they? The Pacers have to lose 3 in a row SOMETIME. I hope it's not until next season on the former and I hope it's never on the latter. But streaks always come to an end, it's just a matter of when and where.

The losses don't bother me as much as the EFFORT (or lack thereof) and the lack of execution of the gameplan. I think this will help the team in the long run, things were going way too easy, but I saw an awful lot of things in Miami that reminded of last year's playoff disaster and that scares me even more.

Detroit does scare me, but if (and it's a big IF), the Pacers find a way out of this series I think they will learn from this series and realize they have to be focused every night.

Liquid Slap
05-14-2004, 12:39 PM

Boy I don't post for 2 days and all the Pacer fans are down on their team now. The series is not over everybody. Pistons series is 2-2 also and I am not going to be worried. We played horrible in games 3-4 also. But people seem to forget the first too games for some reason. Both of our teams have homecourt advantage which helps out alot.

As far as the comment about Rick Carlisle being there now to help his team through adversity. Did you guys forget why Joe D. got rid of him?? It was because of his playoff coaching performances. He was not able to make the adjustment to take the team to the next level. He's still learning too. This is only his 3rd playoff performance and only the first with this team.

ChicagoJ
05-14-2004, 12:51 PM
Although true, he won't repeat the mistakes Isiah made as the team completely crumbled in last year's playoffs. That's my point.

fwpacerfan
05-17-2004, 08:20 AM

Boy I don't post for 2 days and all the Pacer fans are down on their team now. The series is not over everybody. Pistons series is 2-2 also and I am not going to be worried. We played horrible in games 3-4 also. But people seem to forget the first too games for some reason. Both of our teams have homecourt advantage which helps out alot.

As far as the comment about Rick Carlisle being there now to help his team through adversity. Did you guys forget why Joe D. got rid of him?? It was because of his playoff coaching performances. He was not able to make the adjustment to take the team to the next level. He's still learning too. This is only his 3rd playoff performance and only the first with this team.

I've never been so happy to say I was wrong. The team showed up for game 5 and I think they have a decent chance at winning game 6. They seemed to remember to run the offense and get in their opponent's grill in game 5 and I think they realize they have to play that way to win. Like I said before steaks are meant to be broken and Miami has won 18 in a row at home - they have to lose sometime don't they? :laugh: