PDA

View Full Version : Toronto post-game... Pacers Win!

Anthem
01-27-2007, 09:16 PM
What a game. Really nice effort, considering how hot the Raptors were. Can't say enough nice things about Danny and Jermaine.

I know people are down on his stats, but I thought Tinsley played fine tonight. If he played like that every night, we'd do ok. He didn't jack shots, and he made good passes. A lot of his passes got dropped, which didn't help matters. The offense in the first quarter was as jerky as I've seen in a while.

Jermaine is so quiet out there... he's like a machine. He was getting frozen out by Dunleavy, and he just kept distributing the ball and playing inside the system. I *REALLY* like his game right now. Once upon a time, I was on his case to learn how to pass the ball. Looks like he listened.

What can you say about DA? Actually I thought he was pushing it a little in the first half, but the second half was great. Absolutely great. I can't help but think we're using him up too fast, but it's nice while it lasts.

Jermaniac
01-27-2007, 09:20 PM
QUIS MY BOY
SHAWNE MY BOY
DA,TINS,DANNY MY BOYS.

You already know how JO does it. Still the best big man in the east, should have started in the all star game. Ohh boy its lovely.

arenn
01-27-2007, 09:21 PM
I agree. And the key thing is not just that we're winning, but that the team is actually fun to watch.

avoidingtheclowns
01-27-2007, 09:23 PM
i think they should have... around the 2:40 mark... given diogu, greene, marshall williams and baston some minutes

Putnam
Two games in a row, the Pacers score more than 60 point in a half.

arenn
In the Bosh vs. JO match up, I really thought JO had the best of it. Bosh had the flashier double-double, but JO the more complete game and a stronger team surrounding him on the glass. Very nice job with 7 assists + block + steal. His passing tonight was just great. With this new lineup we are getting much more motion when JO has the ball in the post, which creates so many new options for him other than shooting a fadeaway over a double team.

TheDon
01-27-2007, 09:24 PM
perfect scenario...pacers win tomorrow...chicago and cleveland lose and that would move us up even further in the rankings.

Just wondering though, can anyone tell me why you guys call tins mel mel?:hmm:

PacerFreak31
01-27-2007, 09:24 PM
Great effort all around! Nice to have a 3 game winning streak again. Our defence was good as we held a good Raptors team to 84 points. Dun Dun got it going and ended up shooting well. Almost all of our starters took 10 shots each... Now that's balance!

arenn
01-27-2007, 09:25 PM
If we ever figure how to start games as well as finish them, this team could be pretty awesome. Though let's face it, we were shooting out of our a$$ during parts of the second half.

skyfire
01-27-2007, 09:27 PM
perfect scenario...pacers win tomorrow...chicago and cleveland lose and that would move us up even further in the rankings.

Just wondering though, can anyone tell me why you guys call tins mel mel?:hmm:

I'm not 100% sure on this but I think his nickname on the NY playgrounds was "Mel Mel the Abuser". These days Mel Mel usually represents when an opposing PG takes Tins out of his game and he starts going 1on5 as if its a personal affront to his game.

TheDon
01-27-2007, 09:28 PM
we were shooting out of our a$$ during parts of the second half.

Like quise draining one from 47 feet? LMAO
:rotflmao:

Seriously though think about it guys Some really shotty officiating in that game where we faced the Knicks at home and we had just gotten our new guys one practice and we were still in that game. We already have matched our biggest win streak off the season 4 GAMES AFTER THE TRADE!!! Lets keep this up go in to Detroit tomorrow and show them who the class of the East really is.

:gopacers:

Jermaniac
01-27-2007, 09:29 PM
Tinsley got the nickname Mel Mel when he was playing street ball in NY during his younger days.

aceace
01-27-2007, 09:29 PM
It was nice to have a game where the officiating wasn't questioned. Javie and crew a job well done. I've heard players say that Javie is one of the better officials in the league. I don't remember any questionable calls, thats rare.

PacerFreak31
01-27-2007, 09:31 PM
Rebounding the last 3 games

Pacers 47 bulls 36 +11
Pacers 52 heat 43 +9
Pacers 45 Raptors 36 +9

Hicks
01-27-2007, 09:32 PM
If we ever figure how to start games as well as finish them, this team could be pretty awesome. Though let's face it, we were shooting out of our a$$ during parts of the second half.

Agreed. I'm cautiously optimistic, but we did get very lucky-hot to pull away in the end.

quiller
01-27-2007, 09:33 PM
In the Bosh vs. JO match up, I really thought JO had the best of it. Bosh had the flashier double-double, but JO the more complete game and a stronger team surrounding him on the glass. Very nice job with 7 assists + block + steal. His passing tonight was just great. With this new lineup we are getting much more motion when JO has the ball in the post, which creates so many new options for him other than shooting a fadeaway over a double team.

this was a game if some one just glanced at the stats... might be confused but JO really outplayed Bosh in the game.... key stat in the match up that you have to look hard to find... Bosh scored 11 of his 26 in 4th after the game was out of reach.. (14 pt lead..) JO really didn't play in the 4th qtr... and only scored 2 or his 21... Jo got his stats in the first 3 qtrs when it was a game .. Bosh got his stats in 4th when it had already been decided.... compare the stats of the two after the 3rd qtr not the game....

BlueNGold
Rebounding the ball has really made a huge difference. The new guys grabbed 18 tonight...and scored 25.

BTW, our newfound dominance on the boards is why we are winning.

Hicks
It was nice to have a game where the officiating wasn't questioned. Javie and crew a job well done. I've heard players say that Javie is one of the better officials in the league. I don't remember any questionable calls, thats rare.

I can think of one early, but they called a good game. They didn't hack the tempo to pieces by blowing the whistle every possession.

avoidingtheclowns
01-27-2007, 09:34 PM

Pacers 47 bulls 36 +11
Pacers 52 heat 43 +9
Pacers 45 Raptors 36 +9

stats i'm very pleased about...

able
All about Mel Mel the Abuser : http://www.brooklynusa.org/espn1.htm

bellisimo

when a game goes close...then the questionable calls just scream at you cause every possession counts....when you have a comfy lead...you just take it as a missed call and move on...

as for the game...I think all in all it was a good game by the Pacers....I can't really remember a Pacers team that was able to play well from the get-go...it's always been an achilles heel of the team....

in regards to individual play...I'm liking the trade cause not only do we now have guys that can give us relief in rebounding...but we literally have upgraded DG and QUIS at the same time!

As others have mentioned....this team is now being fun to watch...lets keeping it going!

arenn
01-27-2007, 09:35 PM

There were two pretty bad calls. One was the out of bounds that they ruled off Foster that didn't come near him. The refs just weren't looking. The other was the no-call on the goal tending. My guess is that Toronto fans would probably pick a couple as well. But overall, not a terribly officiated game.

Hicks
01-27-2007, 09:35 PM

Pacers 47 bulls 36 +11
Pacers 52 heat 43 +9
Pacers 45 Raptors 36 +9

I love this. Rebounding has always seemed to be a team weakness of the Pacers. Having a good one now is a huge plus for winning. There are two things that cover a multitude of sins: Shooting and rebounding. We don't have that kind of shooting, but the rebounding gives us more opportunities to put the ball in the whole and keep us alive until an offensive burst gives us the advantage later in the game.

speakout4
01-27-2007, 09:38 PM
Great effort all around! Nice to have a 3 game winning streak again. Our defence was good as we held a good Raptors team to 84 points. Dun Dun got it going and ended up shooting well. Almost all of our starters took 10 shots each... Now that's balance!

No one put up riduculous desperate shots tonight at least I don't remember any.

quiller
01-27-2007, 09:41 PM
No one put up riduculous desperate shots tonight at least I don't remember any.

:D hmmm I would call Quins.. 47 ft against the shoot clock a little strange though.. dont see that often.. unless it's at the end of the qtr...

avoidingtheclowns
01-27-2007, 09:41 PM
i really like this team... when was the last time watching a pacer game seem like fun?

FrenchConnection
01-27-2007, 09:42 PM
this was a game if some one just glanced at the stats... might be confused but JO really outplayed Bosh in the game.... key stat in the match up that you have to look hard to find... Bosh scored 11 of his 26 in 4th after the game was out of reach.. (14 pt lead..) JO really didn't play in the 4th qtr... and only scored 2 or his 21... Jo got his stats in the first 3 qtrs when it was a game .. Bosh got his stats in 4th when it had already been decided.... compare the stats of the two after the 3rd qtr not the game....

I was really pleased after listening to JO's post-game interview. What he said was that he hot too much in the previous two games and he felt that he needed to get his team mates involved in this game. He also mentioned in a positive light that the team was sharing ball. So the stats also reflect his performance. The 7 assists can almost be added to his point total. That many assists for a big man is a really positive sign, especially in a game where a young JO would have tried to take it at Bosh all night.

This trade was the best thing that could have happened to JO. I don't know about you all, but I don't work very well with my friends. Even if we lose tomorrow in Detroit, I think that this team is going to go quite far.

avoidingtheclowns
01-27-2007, 09:42 PM
:D hmmm I would call Quins.. 47 ft against the shoot clock a little strange though.. dont see that often.. unless it's at the end of the qtr...
how about jeff's end of the 1st quarter vanderjagt?

Frank Slade
01-27-2007, 09:44 PM
i really like this team... when was the last time watching a pacer game seem like fun?

Yes I love THIS team.... and how it fits together.
I think Murphy is going to prove a real luxury down the stretch for this team.

imawhat
01-27-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm glad we're winning games that we should win, finally. The Raptors have been playing extremely well as of late, and they executed pretty well tonight.

I think the big difference tonight came at the beginning of the third quarter. Jamaal really, really picked up his defensive energy and it affected the whole team. I think we sorely need some consistency in the energy level, rather than have it in spurts. The team executes much better when they're playing hard, which is why DA has been getting too many minutes lately.

It was great to see Marquis' shot go in. I know Darrell hit one earlier this year (that was eventually waved off), but it's nice to see some good fortune around Indy. Speaking of which, the crowd's response at the end of these past three games has been nice and indicative of how they feel about this current team. Maybe they'll start showing up a little more often.

speakout4
01-27-2007, 09:47 PM
ok desperate but with 2 seconds on the clock not ridiculous

imawhat
01-27-2007, 09:52 PM
I was really pleased after listening to JO's post-game interview. What he said was that he hot too much in the previous two games and he felt that he needed to get his team mates involved in this game. He also mentioned in a positive light that the team was sharing ball. So the stats also reflect his performance. The 7 assists can almost be added to his point total. That many assists for a big man is a really positive sign, especially in a game where a young JO would have tried to take it at Bosh all night.

Thanks for sharing. I don't get post-game stuff out here in LA.

I thought JO's byte during the game was interesting too. He said that the addition of Murphy wasn't helping him yet because teams were still doubling on him. His advice to Troy was to keep shooting.

We saw it again tonight. Toronto was collapsing hard on Jermaine and he was forced to take a lot of contact going to the hoop.

I'm a little worried now, because he's taken more contact in these last four games than he has all season. The coaching staff really has to emphasize getting Troy on the other side of the hoop to take some pressure off of Jermaine.

quiller
01-27-2007, 09:54 PM
i really like this team... when was the last
time watching a pacer game seem like fun?

Seeing that I only get to watch the pacers play when on national TV or on WGN any time watching the pacers is good thing but I do agree with the idea that this team so far is a better team then before the trade...

quiller
01-27-2007, 09:59 PM
ok desperate but with 2 seconds on the clock not ridiculous

I agree they didn't take very many forced/ridiculous shots in the game ... most shots except a few maybe from DunDun were in the rythmn of the offense. Just I thought the statement seemed a little funny considering the 3/4 qt heave during a normal offensive set...

Anthem
01-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Gotta agree that Jermaine outplayed Bosh, despite the stats. I continue to be amazed at the improvement in his passing.

Thought he was going to get a triple-double tonight.

LoneGranger33
01-27-2007, 10:03 PM
If we beat Detroit, I'm prepared to crown Rick Carlisle as the best coach ever.

TheDon
01-27-2007, 10:04 PM
I know UB will be back soon, but does anyone know what the attendance for the Pacers were tonight? I really wish I had the time and money to go to some games as soon as I get out of college im getting pacers season tickets. With the drop in attendance and everything else I always fear losing our team. I seriously would never watch basketball ever again anywhere if the Pacers left town.

BlueNGold
01-27-2007, 10:06 PM
If we beat Detroit, I'm prepared to crown Rick Carlisle as the best coach ever.

If we beat Detroit (again) it will tell us a lot about where we are as a team. They will definitely show up in force after losing to the Wizards.

arenn
01-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Attendance was 14,236. Some of the attendance can be misleading as well because a lot of tickets have been dumped at extremely low prices this year.

TheDon
01-27-2007, 10:19 PM
Anybody else excited about the upcoming Golden State game at home? I hope Jermaine throws down at least 8 dunks in Al's face and blocks 3 of his shots on a way to a triple double with like 25 pts. 12 rebounds 10 blocks as the Pacers continue their outrebounding the opposition but this one by a LARGE margin. I REALLY want to embarass them when they come to the fieldhouse. Hopefully Dun and Murph get up for that game as well to really stick it to all those fans that ever booed them.

avoidingtheclowns
01-27-2007, 10:25 PM
its weird i was just looking at the boxscore... i totally don't remember dundun scoring that much i thought he had 10ish...

but in looking at the scoring, we look more balanced in that dept. the last few games. getting lots of contributions. its a really fun team so far, hopefully it lasts.

JO had a stoically effective game. very garnett of him actually. 21pts / 6 rbs / 7 ast / 1 blk / 1 stl... i've always felt that garnett was a silent leader, like hakeem. and jermaine seemed like it tonight. he is definitely an allstar but proved it gracefully tonight.

Danny great game 18pts on 6/9 shooting. plus 5 rbs / 2 ast / 2 stl, quite pippen-ish.

I think DunDun and Murphy played fairly well. Did a lot of little things that really helped us.

Quis and Armstrong had a fantastic games... they got us back into the game after a slow start.

Williams and Diogu didn't get a lot of time but gave us 5 rbd 7pts. should have gotten a few more minutes near the end.

baston and rawle should have gotten in (i don't really count baston's less than 1min as he didn't put up any stats) but i can't really fault carlisle for it because this team needs as much game practice as they can get especially before detroit, but as its a back to back, i think he should have swapped the whole starting unit out. granted the raptors have been hot lately so i don't blame him for wanting to ensure a win, but still back to back.

odeez
Anybody else excited about the upcoming Golden State game at home? I hope Jermaine throws down at least 8 dunks in Al's face and blocks 3 of his shots on a way to a triple double with like 25 pts. 12 rebounds 10 blocks as the Pacers continue their outrebounding the opposition but this one by a LARGE margin. I REALLY want to embarass them when they come to the fieldhouse. Hopefully Dun and Murph get up for that game as well to really stick it to all those fans that ever booed them.

yes sir, that should be a good one. I just want to see this team we have now get some respect, and in order to do that we got to get a nice win streak going. The first thing we must do is beat Detroit tomorrow night.

Unclebuck
As I was sitting there in Conseco Fieldhouse tonight 2 question came to my mind. One more serious than the other.

1) The trade was reported as a 4 players for 4 players. But maybe it was really a 4 for 6. Sure we got Troy, Mike, Ike and McLoud - but in reality didn't we also get a much improved Danny and Marquis.

2) What is more important - the impact of the 4 new players or the impact that the new players has had on JO, Granger, Marquis, Foster.

I realize these are home games and I realize the Pacers haven't become a great team by any means, but this "team" is much better than it was two weeks ago - prior to the trade.

Troy has fit in perfectly - he fits like a glove and while his one-on-one defense isn't anything great, I really watched him tonight and his team defense was excellent and is getting better every game. The exact same can be said for Dunleavy - he has a great feel for the game. There was a play tonight a semi-fastbreak - Mike got the ball and looked like he was going to have a tough time scoring - so instead he made a great pass to Murphy for a layup and I said to myself, Jax never would have made that play. Both players also are excellent feeding the post

Certainly the rebounding is much better I think for two reasons. Now either Murphy or Foster are on the floor at all times. And Mike Dunleavy is a very good rebounder for a small forward/shooting guard.

I'm very encouraged and I'm enjoying this team more than I have in almost two years when Dale and Reggie made a playoff push in the brawl year

odeez
01-27-2007, 10:27 PM
I just have to say DANNY is the man. I love seeing the way this kid is playing these days. This is only his second year in the league. I just hope he keeps it up. I think he will.

ABADays
01-27-2007, 10:29 PM
That was a great post UB and I agree with everything you said.

arenn
01-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Another great team effort.

- Five guys in double figures scoring
- Out rebounded Toronto 45-36
- More assists than Toronto 23-18
- Only 13 turnovers, could be better, but could be a lot worse
- 87% free throw shooting vs. 70% for Toronto
- Started off ice cold again but finished at 49% from the field

I talked about JO alread, but another stat I just noticed in the box score. He was 9-9 from the line vs. 10-15 for Bosh. Very good game from JO.

Granger had another solid night. This guy has huge potential. His defensive game seems to be improving too.

Dunleavy forced a few shots I thought, but was generally high energy and making good things happen. I love the way he dives for loose balls, etc. Subtract his three point shooting (not his forte) and a couple of other shots and it was a solid game.

This was not Murph's night from the field, but 12 boards is awesome. And what about Foster coming down with 12 boards in 20 minutes?

Quis? Where has this guy been all season? Oh, right, on the bench. Good things happen when he's out there.

I was disappointed to only see Diagu get limited minutes. With back to back games, look for him to spend a lot more time on the court tomorrow. Even so, our starters did not play overly large minutes. JO was our top guy at 36 - he sat an entire quarter.

Armstrong better enjoy it while it lasts, because I don't see him shooting 80% too many nights.

Tinsley did not have a good night. He shot poorly, only had 5 assists (less than JO) and three turnovers. At one stretch I noticed he shot on something like 3 of 4 or 4 of 6 possessions. He also just doesn't seem to put nearly the hustle in that a number of the other guys do. A few times he didn't even make an attempt on loose balls I think he had a good chance at. Armstrong or Dunleavy would have been diving after it. There seems to be enormous sensitivity on this board to criticisms of Tinsley. I don't think his game was monolithically bad. He definitely stepped up his defense in the second half. My frustration with Tinsley is that, from the very beginning here I thought he had great potential. Ok, so I often get suckered into overly hoping in a young guy with flashes of talent. But I still believe that Tinsley has the potential to be so much more than what he is producing at. We don't need to trade for an elite point guard. We just need the point guard we've got to start playing like he's capable of doing. He still has that street ball streak in him - and I get the impression he doesn't exactly give it 100%. If Tinsley is out there laying all on the line like some of these other guys are, I'll forgive him most of his screw ups in games.

speakout4
01-27-2007, 10:34 PM
As I was sitting there in Conseco Fieldhouse tonight 2 question came to my mind. One more serious than the other.

1) The trade was reported as a 4 players for 4 players. But maybe it was really a 4 for 6. Sure we got Troy, Mike, Ike and McLoud - but in reality didn't we also get a much improved Danny and Marquis.

2) What is more important - the impact of the 4 new players or the impact that the new players has had on JO, Granger, Marquis, Foster.

I realize these are home games and I realize the Pacers haven't become a great team by any means, but this "team" is much better than it was two weeks ago - prior to the trade.

Troy has fit in perfectly - he fits like a glove and while his one-on-one defense isn't anything great, I really watched him tonight and his team defense was excellent and is getting better every game. The exact same can be said for Dunleavy - he has a great feel for the game. There was a play tonight a semi-fastbreak - Mike got the ball and looked like he was going to have a tough time scoring - so instead he made a great pass to Murphy for a layup and I said to myself, Jax never would have made that play. Both players also are excellent feeding the post

Certainly the rebounding is much better I think for two reasons. Now either Murphy or Foster are on the floor at all times. And Mike Dunleavy is a very good rebounder for a small forward/shooting guard.

I'm very encouraged and I'm enjoying this team more than I have in almost two years when Dale and Reggie made a playoff push in the brawl year
For a guy who has been a baller his whole life Dun still needs coaching as far as shooting is concerned. His shots are too hard and when he steps back beyond the three line a bit more the ball goes in nicely. I don't know why he doesn't go to the basket more with his athleticism. I like Dun and think he has upside but his shot is an enigma.

quiller
01-27-2007, 10:43 PM

Also Al is not on the floor at all....

Unclebuck
01-27-2007, 10:43 PM
I wanted Ike and Shawne to both get 6 minutes in the second half, their first half play proved to me that they were deseving. I realize the Pacers were going good in the second half, but I think Shawne and Ike deserved some minutes.

This is the Daniels I wanted the Pacers to acquire - it is great to see him playing so well. And when I say playing well I don't just mean his scoring or his offense - he has great instincts out there on both ends of the court.

I know some of you are going to scream at me - but I have to say this. Is there any doubt that right now the Pacers are a better team with DA on the court instead of Tinsley. As I'm watching the game I count the minutes until DA returns to the court. Tinsley remains me of the old Pacers, the one-on-one "look at me" Pacers. He sticks out like a sore thumb now. I'm sorry I had to say that. My only promise is I won't harp on it.

TheDon
01-27-2007, 10:46 PM
If the pacers can beat detroit tomorrow it'd be huge.

Cause then the pistons have a day off before they have to go face washington who just beat the pistons at home and then the next day travel to face the Nets. If Detroit loses those games that would put their record at 24-20.

The Bulls have to face Miami tomorrow before heading out west for a 6 game road trip, the Bulls lose against miami that would put their record at 24-20. The Cavaliers have for their next three game Phoenix, Golden State, and at Miami if they lose 2 out of those 3 of those games. That would put them at 25-20.

The Pacers win against Detroit tomorrow and continue to win and it is EASILY feasible that we become #1 in the central and #2 overall. All of these scenarios are not entirely out of the question.

Unclebuck
01-27-2007, 10:48 PM
For a guy who has been a baller his whole life Dun still needs coaching as far as shooting is concerned. His shots are too hard and when he steps back beyond the three line a bit more the ball goes in nicely. I don't know why he doesn't go to the basket more with his athleticism. I like Dun and think he has upside but his shot is an enigma.

Mike isn't that good of a shooter - that really isn't his game. I'm not surprised in the least about his shooting and if people expect it to become the strength for him - It isn't going to happen. For some reason people look at him and expect him to be a great shooter -

Hicks
01-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Tomorrow is a big game for us. I'm going to try not to get too high/low after it, but it will be an encouraging win if we can get it. If we don't, well, then we're just not ready to move to the top of the heap yet, but thankfully it's January, not March, so we still have a lot of time to improve.

Jermaniac
01-27-2007, 10:54 PM
Tomorrow is a big game for us. I'm going to try not to get too high/low after it, but it will be an encouraging win if we can get it. If we don't, well, then we're just not ready to move to the top of the heap yet, but thankfully it's January, not March, so we still have a lot of time to improve.
I agree.

February is when we need to do it big. We only have 2 road games in the whole month and they are against Memphis and Toronto, two not so good teams. So we really need to take advantage of that month.

Unclebuck
01-27-2007, 11:02 PM
One play tonight that I loved - most of you will think I'm crazy for loving this play. The Pacers were on defense (I forget the whole play) Bosh got an easy put back and he scored two points. You say what is the big deal? Well what happened was the Pacers power forward and center had to help on the ball and they had to leave Bosh open and it was Dunleavy's job to "sink" into the lane and block out Bosh. Dunleavy did not get there in time. But the part I loved is that Dunleavy knew he was supposed to do it, he was furious with himself for not getting there in time. I loved that he knew where he was supposed to be and I loved that he was really upset at himself.

maragin
01-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Note: All of our players had a positive +/- score this game. Link (http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/plus_minus_0607.html).

beast23
01-27-2007, 11:35 PM
...I'm very encouraged and I'm enjoying this team more than I have in almost two years when Dale and Reggie made a playoff push in the brawl yearI echo that.

I didn't enjoy the former composition of the team at all. So much so that I agreed with my contracting company to take a short gig in New Jersey.

This is something that I absolutely never would have done before, because I not only didn't want to be away from the wife, but because I really didn't want to miss out on Pacer games.

I've attended a boatload of games since 1967, and enjoyed watching the players and the progress of the team even during the down times. Although I've still followed the team, my interest in attending games has diminished over the past couple of years becuase there have been a few players that I simply cannot stand.

Now with one of those players gone, and the other player playing more under control, while the overall chemistry of the team seems so much better, I would enjoy watching my guys play.

But unfortunately, I'm stuck in New Jersey and don't even get to see my guys on TV, let alone in person.

Bummer.

CableKC
01-27-2007, 11:37 PM

Pacers 47 bulls 36 +11
Pacers 52 heat 43 +9
Pacers 45 Raptors 36 +9
I know that most of you think that Foster is a huge offensive liability....but he pulled down 12 rebounds in 21 minutes...coming off the bench while taking 0 FGA. It may not be optima for him to offensively challenged....but coming off the bench....and likely playing next to Ike and Murphy ( both scoring Big Men )....I don't really care. His rebounding roleplaying helps out alot in the long run.

As far as I am concerned....if he can take some of the burden off of Ike on the rebounding and defensive end....when both of them share the floor...then I don't mind if Ike "The Abuser" takes all the shots.

Shack80
01-27-2007, 11:38 PM
One play tonight that I loved - most of you will think I'm crazy for loving this play. The Pacers were on defense (I forget the whole play) Bosh got an easy put back and he scored two points. You say what is the big deal? Well what happened was is the Pacers power forward and center had to help on the ball and they had to leave Bosh open and it was Dunleavy's job to "sink" into the lane and block out Bosh. Dunleavy did not get there in time. But the part I loved is that Dunleavy knew he was supposed to do it, he was furious with himself for not getting there in time. I loved that he knew where he was supposed to be and I loved that he was really upset at himself.

That is pretty cool. Smart play, even though it failed. I am enjoying this team.

Eindar
01-27-2007, 11:43 PM
Good win tonight. I've noticed in the games since the trade, we seem to win by wearing our opponents down. We just seem to get better as the game goes on, whereas our opponent stays the same or plays a little worse. I don't know why that is, maybe an issue of guys developing chemistry over the course of 48 minutes, but it's just something I've been noticing.

CableKC
01-27-2007, 11:46 PM

This trade was the best thing that could have happened to JO. I don't know about you all, but I don't work very well with my friends. Even if we lose tomorrow in Detroit, I think that this team is going to go quite far.
Although JONeal was shooting a paltry 6-14 ( 42% from the field )....he figured out a way to get to the FT line 9 times ( which is critical when your shots aren't dropping ), pulled down 7 boards while ( more importantly ) dishing the ball 7 times to his teammates.

cgg
01-27-2007, 11:49 PM
Note: All of our players had a positive +/- score this game. Link (http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/plus_minus_0607.html).

I didn't even know that could happen...

Unclebuck
01-28-2007, 12:00 AM
I echo that.

I didn't enjoy the former composition of the team at all. So much so that I agreed with my contracting company to take a short gig in New Jersey.

This is something that I absolutely never would have done before, because I not only didn't want to be away from the wife, but because I really didn't want to miss out on Pacer games.

I've attended a boatload of games since 1967, and enjoyed watching the players and the progress of the team even during the down times. Although I've still followed the team, my interest in attending games has diminished over the past couple of years becuase there have been a few players that I simply cannot stand.

Now with one of those players gone, and the other player playing more under control, while the overall chemistry of the team seems so much better, I would enjoy watching my guys play.

But unfortunately, I'm stuck in New Jersey and don't even get to see my guys on TV, let alone in person.

Bummer.

Game tomorrow night is on ESPN

TheDon
01-28-2007, 12:01 AM
Although JONeal was shooting a paltry 6-14 ( 42% from the field )

just letting ya know he was 50% from the field until the last two or three minutes where both foster and murphy had 4 fouls on each of them JO came back took two shots from about 16-19 foot jumpers and missed them both. Those last two shots were also taken when the game was well out of hand he was 6-12 before that.

OnlyPacersLeft
01-28-2007, 12:14 AM
man that shot by quis was HUGE! he just chucked it up and he swished it! If we can somehow win tomm. night vs the pistons oh baby we are looking VERY good with the celtics coming up then lakers at home then at grizz who are terrible. Then you look at the month of feb. we only have 2 ROAD GAMES!!!!
Imagine if we could finally start winning some games and gelling this team could be so dangerous in the playoffs!

naptown
01-28-2007, 12:21 AM

Pay attention Pacer fans.... now HERE is a man with his priorities in order!!

TheDon
01-28-2007, 12:26 AM
Pay attention Pacer fans.... now HERE is a man with his priorities in order!!

:rotflmao:

That's awesome.

mike_D
01-28-2007, 01:07 AM
Excellent win for us.You see what happens when you aquire players who are willing to make the extra pass.You now have a very unselfish team, making the extra pass which makes you more difficult to defend and as a result you get a hight quality shot attempt.

Anthem
01-28-2007, 01:09 AM
Although JONeal was shooting a paltry 6-14 ( 42% from the field )....he figured out a way to get to the FT line 9 times ( which is critical when your shots aren't dropping ), pulled down 7 boards while ( more importantly ) dishing the ball 7 times to his teammates.
I wouldn't have guessed that Jermaine got 14 shots up... seemed like they just forgot about him for large portions of the game.

Millerartest
01-28-2007, 02:51 AM
Thanks for word on the ESPN game Uncle Buck. I also don't get to see the Pacers in the Bay Area. This will be the first game that I'm excited to watch in a couple years myself. I'm very encouraged by all that I hear. And though I have not watched, I echo what you said about Darrel Armstrong.
(Coming from someone who preferred Haywood Workman to Mark Jackson ((when the Pacers made their first big run in the playoffs, the energy at the point made a huge difference, especially at the defensive end; it sets the tone for the whole team

CableKC
01-28-2007, 03:01 AM
just letting ya know he was 50% from the field until the last two or three minutes where both foster and murphy had 4 fouls on each of them JO came back took two shots from about 16-19 foot jumpers and missed them both. Those last two shots were also taken when the game was well out of hand he was 6-12 before that.
Maybe "paltry" was a strong word in describing his shooting tonight....but its not as efficient as JONeal is capable of producing. But I don't mind as much...cuz JONeal is more then capable of making up for any shooting woes with his ability to get to the line and making FTs ( where he was 9-9 from the FT line today ).

CableKC
01-28-2007, 03:08 AM
I wouldn't have guessed that Jermaine got 14 shots up... seemed like they just forgot about him for large portions of the game.
Is it me...or ever since the trade....has JONeal had more games like this....where he is scoring like normal...but seems to put up those points very quietly? He's still getting his 16-20 FGA a game....and is scoring....but it just seems like we aren't resorting as much to "JONeal ball" as we used to.

Whenever I see the really good ball movement on the court....the more flashy plays that I enjoy and remember....most of it seems to involve lDunleavy, Granger, Marquis and DA....and not JONeal.

Don't get me wrong....when JONeal is abusing the opposing team...I have no problem with feeding the ball to JONeal and letting him do his job. Its like JONeal is still the #1 scoring option on the team...but the offense ( throughout the course of the game ) doesn't seem to entire focus on him. :shrug:

CableKC
01-28-2007, 03:08 AM
Thanks for word on the ESPN game Uncle Buck. I also don't get to see the Pacers in the Bay Area. This will be the first game that I'm excited to watch in a couple years myself. I'm very encouraged by all that I hear. And though I have not watched, I echo what you said about Darrel Armstrong.
(Coming from someone who preferred Haywood Workman to Mark Jackson ((when the Pacers made their first big run in the playoffs, the energy at the point made a huge difference, especially at the defensive end; it sets the tone for the whole team
The game is on at 4:30pm tomorrow PST.

imawhat
01-28-2007, 03:35 AM
I'd check on that, because my cable box says 3:30 PST.

Mourning
01-28-2007, 07:42 AM
That was a great post UB and I agree with everything you said.

Count me in on that aswell. Sure the team isn't flawless, but I like where we seem to be going. SHaring the ball, moving without the ball, rebounding all things that are looking up a in a really good way.

Personally, I don't think the game tonight against the Pistons is THAT important. Sure, I would love nothing better to win there, but I don't think a loss means a lot normally. I mean we are in the second game of a back-to-back and the Pistons just lost a game and will want to avoid losing another, they WILL be poised.

As long as we can make it very close and play well and the chemistry and gelling continues its positive trend I won't mind losing this game too much ............. I hope ;).

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

D-BONE
01-28-2007, 08:04 AM
I echo everybody's sentiments as far as being very pleased with our direction post-trade. Not only are we enjoying as fans, the team and I think even RC look to be doing the same, which obviously bodes well. I could be wrong but Rick looks reenergized as well.

Couple other thoughts/observations:

1) Ditto UB on the JT comment. Currently, Armstrong is the PG that's really driving us even though he is not the starter. I am hopeful this can change with further familiarity/adjustment by Tins to the new pieces. In addition, his back could be bothering him still.

Whatever the case, my feeling is, despite the positive team play, if we don't get something more from him as the season wears on, I can't see us being a serious deep playoff threat. Unless another impact trade occurs Something does not mean big points. Just more inspired and effective PG play.

2) I recall discussion of how Quis reminded some of Mckey is certain elements of his game-doing the little things, relaxed attitude, etc. I can see the comparison. I'd suggest the Dunleavy's game also has points of contact with McKey.

Like Daniels, Mike is not the same level of on the ball defender as McKey. However, both are decent team defenders that are crafty in the pilfer department. Dun has the laid back attitude and the high b-ball IQ that offers a lot of intangibles-particularly in ball and player movement. Offensively, they both seem a little stronger than Derrick or at least more aggressive.

Not saying a perfect match but definitely similarities. I'll take two McKeyesque guys any day. Most importantly the attitude easily assimilates to the team orientation.

D-BONE
01-28-2007, 08:10 AM
P.S. Tonight in DEE-troit would be a perfect opportunity for JT to jumpstart his game heading into our seemingly friendly Feb. schedule. He's not played humongous minutes in the last week and hopefully his recent maladies have subsided. Plus, he always get up to bump and grind with Chaunce and the Stones.

Slick Pinkham
01-28-2007, 09:37 AM
Jermaine... was getting frozen out by Dunleavy

Was that a joke?

Nobody else is commenting and I didn't see the game, but if our best player is being "frozen out" by the second best passer on the team then there should be some concern, win or not.

Unclebuck
01-28-2007, 10:23 AM
Was that a joke?

Nobody else is commenting and I didn't see the game, but if our best player is being "frozen out" by the second best passer on the team then there should be some concern, win or not.

That was either a joke or just a completely incorrect statement

Hicks
01-28-2007, 10:52 AM
That was either a joke or just a completely incorrect statement

Agreed.

CableKC
01-28-2007, 11:46 AM
I'd check on that, because my cable box says 3:30 PST.
I stand corrected...I thought it said 4;30pm. :confused:

Jermaniac
01-28-2007, 12:29 PM
That was either a joke or just a completely incorrect statementIn the 3rd qtr Jermaine put up 1 shot and Dunleavy put up 5. Jermaine kept setting picks for Dunleavy and Dunleavy wasnt giving Jermaine the ball. Dunleavy was shot chucking last night. Dont try to act like he is some perfect basketball player who does everything, he was shot chucking last night. Its good that he got a few of those lay ups to go down cause his stat line would have looked like crap.

Los Angeles
01-28-2007, 12:31 PM
Ah, the good old days of not knowing when a game is on.

I'm misty remembering one fateful day at Staples not so long ago.

Roferr
01-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Great ballgame.

I think JO really enjoys his new teammates. He knows that he doesn't have to shoot it nearly has much to keep Al and Jax from firing up bad shots. He knows that with Granger, Dun and Murphy if they don't have the shot, they don't force it.

Tins as of lately, has been very mediocre or poor in closing out quarters. Last night in the final 1:06 of the first half, he had the ball stolen and takes 3 shots that all miss. In fact, he's the only one who took any shots. He has to learn that he has 3-4 players better them him offensively and not to try to do it himself.

Anthem
01-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Was that a joke?

Not a joke, exactly, but not without some truth.

There was a strech in the third quarter (you can find it in the game thread) where Jermaine couldn't be stopped, but we weren't giving him the ball. It wasn't like Dun was actually freezing out Jermaine, it looked like Carlisle wanted to run play after play after play for Dunleavy. And it just wasn't working.

Jermaine should have been taking those shots.

Hicks
01-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Ah, the good old days of not knowing when a game is on.

I'm misty remembering one fateful day at Staples not so long ago.

But it said local time! :D

Los Angeles
01-28-2007, 05:09 PM
But it said local time! :D

EXACTLY.

The game is listed as "3:30 local time."

The game is in Los Angeles.

Does "3:30 local time" mean 3:30 at the location where the game is played?

NooooOOOOOOOoooo. Evidently the only Pacers fans that count are the ones in the 317 area code. and portions - but not all - of the people who live in the area codes around 317.

:mad:

Lesson learned.

At least I showed up "early" and saw the last half (and what a great half it was).

quiller
01-28-2007, 05:18 PM
Not a joke, exactly, but not without some truth.

There was a strech in the third quarter (you can find it in the game thread) where Jermaine couldn't be stopped, but we weren't giving him the ball. It wasn't like Dun was actually freezing out Jermaine, it looked like Carlisle wanted to run play after play after play for Dunleavy. And it just wasn't working.

Jermaine should have been taking those shots.

For a change I have part of the game on my TVio so I will have to check but I did notice that for a short period of time I thought Dun's was forcing a few shots or the PnR. But I also thought Tor was coming at JO rather hard with the double and he wasn't given space like he was near the end of the second qtr..

kellogg
01-28-2007, 06:06 PM

AT LEAST 3 years??? The year before Reggie retired they were fun...

They really are enjoyable to watch now. Good ball movement, no knucklehead moves (except by Tinsley).

I'd say if Tinsley were moved for a younger version of DA...energetic, good defense, good decision-making (don't know who that would be though)...I'd say this team could make some noise in the playoffs.

I'd like to have Tinsley and Harrison traded.

kellogg
01-28-2007, 06:11 PM
In the 3rd qtr Jermaine put up 1 shot and Dunleavy put up 5. Jermaine kept setting picks for Dunleavy and Dunleavy wasnt giving Jermaine the ball. Dunleavy was shot chucking last night. Dont try to act like he is some perfect basketball player who does everything, he was shot chucking last night. Its good that he got a few of those lay ups to go down cause his stat line would have looked like crap.

I was at the game and Dun was clunking several shots, but in his defense they were within the confines of the offense and he was wide open. (unlike Jackson, who just had a habit of tossing up stupid shots). Wish he'd have hit those, but the shots were good looks...one of those deals where no one would complain if half of them had gone in. I've seen JO continuously shoot over and over again and miss, too when I'd wish he'd pass (see Miami game)...so JO is not immune to crappy stat lines.

imawhat
01-28-2007, 06:26 PM
For a change I have part of the game on my TVio so I will have to check but I did notice that for a short period of time I thought Dun's was forcing a few shots or the PnR. But I also thought Tor was coming at JO rather hard with the double and he wasn't given space like he was near the end of the second qtr..

Yeah, that's pretty much it. But there has been some freezing out, and it does involve Dunleavy (not O'Neal). Dunleavy and Jermaine appear to be the guys in best position to make plays out there. We'll see how many times one of them is overlooked.

Arcadian
01-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Before the trade I think we had to throw it into JO to make sure he got a touch. We had a lot of one on one players and a lot of our plays ended up being give it to this player. I don't think that is the case anymore.

Anthem
01-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Yeah, that's true. But (to my thinking at least) you don't beat a double-team by refusing to give the guy the ball. You give him the ball, make them double, and then let him find the open man. Jermaine's showing that he can do that, so I think we're better off letting him than trying to get the rest of the team to carry the load of creating.