PDA

View Full Version : Pistons vs. Washington

TheDon
01-26-2007, 06:30 PM
I can't wait to watch this game tonight, I'm always kind of cheering on Arenas unless it's against the Pacers. Tonight I definately will be cheering for the Wizards to crush the Pistons. It would make the gap between us and first place even smaller. On a side note I don't know if the mods or admin of this message board care if I post threads about other games that are of significance to the posters but if ya want me to stop making these threads just let me know and i'll kindly stop. I'm just trying to get through the down time between our games and keep the basketball conversations going.

I'm addicted to this dang forum :(

Shade
01-26-2007, 06:39 PM
Well, we have a general NBA Random Thoughts thread that most people post about other games in, but I think certain games can ocasionally have their own thread with no harm in cluttering up the forum.

Should be a good game. I'll be pulling for the Wiz, and hoping the P's can string together some W's to make a run at the #1 seed.

lumber man
01-26-2007, 06:53 PM
c'mon Gilbert!

Kstat
01-26-2007, 08:04 PM
It feels good to be hated again...I was beginning to think we didint matter anymore ;)

Quis
01-26-2007, 08:15 PM
I don't hate the Pistons anymore since they're no longer a top-5 team in the league. I'm actually rooting for them tonight. Remember folks, we have to pass Washington up before we can pass the Pistons. Let Detroit give Washington an L tonight, then we can return the favor on Sunday night by beating the Pistons again.

lumber man
01-26-2007, 08:19 PM
It feels good to be hated again...I was beginning to think we didint matter anymore ;)as for me, i like the pistons. but, i like arenas more;)

TheDon
01-26-2007, 08:50 PM
as for me, i like the pistons. but, i like arenas more;)

Same here I don't hate detroit, just pulling for Arenas. We could have had Arenas too but we took Tinsley over Arenas..*sigh*...I know hindsight is 20/20

TheDon
01-26-2007, 09:01 PM
OMG Arenas is amazing

Pacersfan46
01-26-2007, 09:02 PM
Geeeeeez, look at Gilbert.

That's nuts

-- Steve --

TheDon
01-26-2007, 09:08 PM
I've never seen someone that automatic when the clock is winding down since Reggie, I just miss having a guy in our back court that is able to just stick a dagger in the opponent. It's just crazy how automatic that last shot was, the announcers said "well 5 seconds left, i'm willing to guess the balls going to number zero" sure enough...just buried that 3 from about 40 feet. Although Jermaine's blocks are fun to watch too.

In other news Philly 58 Cavs 43 we could be down one game from second place in our division if we win tomorrow and the cavs lose tonight

Unclebuck
01-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Pistons don't matter anymore. Pacers are 2-0 against them

Kstat
01-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Pistons don't matter anymore. Pacers are 2-0 against them

...so if we beat them on sunday, does that mean the pacers don't matter anymore?

Pacersfan46
01-26-2007, 09:42 PM
My goodness! Arenas just blew by EVERYONE.

I'd have went up to dunk that myself. That's one I don't know why he passed it.

-- Steve --

Shade
01-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Just tuned in. What's up with Caron's left shoulder?

Shade
01-26-2007, 09:53 PM
It feels good to be hated again...I was beginning to think we didint matter anymore ;)

Do I know you? :huh:

Shade
01-26-2007, 09:57 PM
Arenas is absolutely fantastic on offense, but he needs to work on his D. Got caught completely off-guard there.

Shade
01-26-2007, 10:11 PM
Why do people continue to be stupid enough to leave Sheed open at the 3-point line?

Shade
01-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Detroit is on fire.

Shade
Washington with another 3-point play.

Shade
Wow. Both teams are just scoring at will.

Shade
01-26-2007, 10:18 PM
Detroit is hitting everything now. Washington's only hope now is to keep scoring.

Quis
01-26-2007, 10:24 PM
...so if we beat them on sunday, does that mean the pacers don't matter anymore?

We'll still be up 2-1 in the season series, so no, no it would not.

Not to mention, I don't think the Pistons can beat the Pacers this year.

Shade
01-26-2007, 10:27 PM
I agree. Washington needs to foul before the Pistons can get a shot off. Just make sure you don't stupidly catch him in the act of shooting.

Anthem
01-26-2007, 10:28 PM
Where is the game on? I can't find it.

Shade

It'll be interesting. We have a completely different team than we did the last two games.

Kstat
Oh well, we're still 1st in the central at the end of the night.

Shade
01-26-2007, 10:29 PM
Sheed misses the two threes that counted the most, and the Wiz hold on.

Shade
Oh well, we're still 1st in the central at the end of the night.

...like clockwork...

:laugh:

Kstat

You don't think the 96 bulls can beat the pacers. what's your point?

Kstat
01-26-2007, 10:30 PM
...like clockwork...

:laugh:

It's just one game out of 82, at the end of the day. I try to never get too high or too low after one measly game.

I realize Quis has his "we beat the pistons twice in one year" championship banner hanging on his wall, but that's just how I feel.

The overall record is the only thing that matters until april. In that regard, we're still doing pretty well.

So long as we come back strong the next few games with solid efforts, we'll be ok. I'm happy with how we're developing with webber. I don't expect to see this team's absolute best until the playoffs.

Shade
01-26-2007, 10:32 PM
Oh well, at least we're still ahead of the Pacers.

Oh well, at least we're still in the playoffs.

Oh well, at least there's still next year.

Just saving some time. :D

Shade
01-26-2007, 10:33 PM
It's just one game out of 82, at the end of the day. I try to never get too high or too low after one measly game.

I realize Quis has his "we beat the pistons twice in one year" championship banner hanging on his wall, but that's just how I feel.

The overall record is the only thing that matters until april. In that regard, we're still doing pretty well.

Oh, I agree. It just seems like you feel you have to justify every loss with a well-time "Well, at least we're still..." post. ;)

TheDon
01-26-2007, 10:34 PM
I really hope the Pacers can win on Sunday cause then the Pistons have to go face Washington at Washington and giving them a 3 game losing streak would be nice :).

Kstat
01-26-2007, 10:37 PM
Oh, I agree. It just seems like you feel you have to justify every loss with a well-time "Well, at least we're still..." post. ;)

If not losing my mind over every little game is considered "justifying," then yep, i'm guilty as charged.

We played a solid game, they just managed to hit one more shot that we did. It's disappointing, but games like that are going to happen over the course of 82 games.

24-17 isn't where I wanted to be after 41 games, but I'm not going to jump ship when I still believe we can easily be in the finals come June.

Kstat
01-26-2007, 10:37 PM
I really hope the Pacers can win on Sunday cause then the Pistons have to go face Washington at Washington and giving them a 3 game losing streak would be nice :).

Well, we're still 2-1 against the wizards.

Wait, I suppose that means the Wizards still don't matter ;)

TheDon
01-26-2007, 10:38 PM
Alright Update Pacers are the 6th Seed now ORLANDO LOSES TO ATLANTA....OUCH

rexnom
01-26-2007, 10:39 PM
Detroit is still the biggest threat in the East come playoff time. Next question.

wintermute
01-26-2007, 10:40 PM
pistons' home record is now 11-9, while road record is still an impressive 13-8

whatever happened to homecourt advantage?

Kstat
01-26-2007, 10:42 PM
pistons' home record is now 11-9, while road record is still an impressive 13-8

whatever happened to homecourt advantage?

Odd, isn't it? 37-4 last year at home and now only 11-9.

Spoiled fans, I think. The Palace isnt as loud every night as it used to be.

You see consistent excellence for that long, its hard for the average fan to get up for regular season games.

It's kinda funny, because I can't ever envision that happening to the palace, but it seems it has.

The Palace is still very noisy in the playoffs, it just seems that, like the red wings, fans are so used to winning it gets redundant after a while. Eventually, the fans really only get really excited for the playoffs.

I do wish we didnt wait until the 4th quarter to get off our feet. That was a little embarrasing.

TheDon
01-26-2007, 10:46 PM
If we can continue to win on this home stretch and against detroit on sunday we have a very VERY legitimate chance at taking the Central. The race for the central would be ridiculous. The Bulls have to face Miami who just got their collective butts handed to them by the Knicks and then they go on a 6 game west road trip and the last one they were on they were 1-6, The Cavs have to face Phoenix which is usually a loss and maybe Golden State can do us a favor by beating them too.

docpaul
01-26-2007, 11:11 PM
If we can continue to win on this home stretch and against detroit on sunday we have a very VERY legitimate chance at taking the Central. The race for the central would be ridiculous. The Bulls have to face Miami who just got their collective butts handed to them by the Knicks and then they go on a 6 game west road trip and the last one they were on they were 1-6, The Cavs have to face Phoenix which is usually a loss and maybe Golden State can do us a favor by beating them too.

Consecutive wins against Chicago, Miami, and Detroit would be confidence boosting for sure. Granted, all three teams are gimped in their own way these days, but so are the Pacers.

(fingers crossed)

docpaul
01-26-2007, 11:12 PM

You see consistent excellence for that long, its hard for the average fan to get up for regular season games.

It's kinda funny, because I can't ever envision that happening to the palace, but it seems it has.

The Palace is still very noisy in the playoffs, it just seems that, like the red wings, fans are so used to winning it gets redundant after a while. Eventually, the fans really only get really excited for the playoffs.

I do wish we didnt wait until the 4th quarter to get off our feet. That was a little embarrasing.

So what do you think about Webber now that he's had some time to integrate into the lineup? Difference maker, or non-story? Does he make a substantive improvement over Mohammed?

Quis
01-26-2007, 11:14 PM
Detroit is still the biggest threat in the East come playoff time. Next question.

Did you sleep through these past playoffs? Dwyane Wade pretty much single handedly took care of the Pistons, and the series wasn't even close.

As long as Miami has Wade, they're the team to beat in the East. Not to mention Detroit lost their best player in the offseason.

Sorry, but I'm not buying it. Your team is coming off a spanking against the Heat in the E.C.F. If anything the crowd should be hungrier than ever to see it's team reclaim the top spot in the East. I just think the Pistons aren't nearly as good as they once were.

Kstat
01-26-2007, 11:14 PM
You're right Quis...the pacers are the greatest team on all time, as you stress every season. We know.

Enjoy hanging that banner.

Quis
01-26-2007, 11:18 PM
You're right Quis...the pacers are the greatest team on all time, as you stress every season. We know.

Enjoy hanging that banner.

When did I say the Pacers were the greatest team of all-time?

Newsflash: I didn't.

I just said the Pistons aren't half the team this year that they've been the past several seasons. Their record proves this.

Cactus Jax
01-26-2007, 11:24 PM
I think the crowd factor was part of the intangibles Ben Wallace brought to your team kstat. Things were much more lively, with the gong going off, and his defensive plays that led to that loud (annoying for others) DETROIT BASKETBALL!

Kstat
01-26-2007, 11:26 PM
I'd agree with that, but the crowd sucked last year too.

It was better than this year, just not by a lot.

BlueNGold
01-26-2007, 11:34 PM
Yes, records don't mean much. Phoenix would have 5 championships by now.

But there is no denying that Detroit has lost its edge and is no longer dominant.

Robertmto
01-27-2007, 02:13 AM
Great win, Arenas 3 boards from a triple double.

Oh yea - Caron > Rip

rexnom
01-27-2007, 02:53 AM
Great win, Arenas 3 nboards from a double double.

Oh yea - Caron > Rip
I'm just going to respectfully disagree with the Caron statement though I think he easily holds the most underrated player title. Love his game. Miami hada couple of drafts where they had lottery picks but not top 3 or anything and they capitalized on what other teams didn't want. It's nice to see teams not screw up their lottery picks.

As for Miami. I think they'll be better in the post-season but there is no way they are putting together any kind of run like they did last year.

Top 3 teams I'm afraid of in the playoffs (East):
Detroit
Chicago
Washington

Robertmto
01-27-2007, 03:27 AM
If Rip makes the AllStar team and Caron doesnt i'm protesting.

I don't know how. But i will. lol

v_d_g
01-27-2007, 04:01 AM
Ummmmmmm, what's the secret here?

The Pistons are no longer getting all the calls; simple as that.

These days, when they attempt to strip the ball on defense, it's actually called. When they won their championship, it was uterly amazing that NOT ONCE during that season did they actually FOUL when slapping down on the offensive player.

So, you get all the calls and you get an inflated sense of entitlement, expecting to continue getting all the calls. Then the refs stop with the preferential treatment and the WHINING starts.

Same thing happening in San Antonio: it's so bad down there that even Duncan has joined in the whining. Man, it was a huge surprise to them that they didn't get every call against Dallas in the playoffs last year (like the past). Of course, those in the know explain it away with the notion that the Spurs are just getting old. Yeah, and DEFENSE wins in the playoffs ('defense' meaning GETTING ALL THE CALLS).

Summing up: the Pistons and Spurs and not gonna be main players this year. Kinda sucks having to play fair, huh guys? :laugh:

rexnom
01-27-2007, 05:09 AM
Ummmmmmm, what's the secret here?

The Pistons are no longer getting all the calls; simple as that.

These days, when they attempt to strip the ball on defense, it's actually called. When they won their championship, it was uterly amazing that NOT ONCE during that season did they actually FOUL when slapping down on the offensive player.

So, you get all the calls and you get an inflated sense of entitlement, expecting to continue getting all the calls. Then the refs stop with the preferential treatment and the WHINING starts.

Same thing happening in San Antonio: it's so bad down there that even Duncan has joined in the whining. Man, it was a huge surprise to them that they didn't get every call against Dallas in the playoffs last year (like the past). Of course, those in the know explain it away with the notion that the Spurs are just getting old. Yeah, and DEFENSE wins in the playoffs ('defense' meaning GETTING ALL THE CALLS).

Summing up: the Pistons and Spurs and not gonna be main players this year. Kinda sucks having to play fair, huh guys? :laugh:
Let's just see who's laughing come playoff time before we make a call like that...

Though I have to agree that the handslapping thing was ridiculous and has now gotten lots better. Also, Bruce Bowen. Wow. I really don't think he's an elite defender. He's just really, really smart...and gets away with playing a sort of defense Ron Artest wouldn't.

Eindar
01-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Keep in mind, when we're talking Pacers v. Pistons, that was the old Pacers that went 2-0.

Keep an eye on Rip Hamilton, because for my money, few in the league do a better job guarding him than Stephen Jackson. I'm curious to see if Quis, Dunleavy, and Granger will be able to keep up.

Slick Pinkham
01-27-2007, 09:03 AM
Webber's line: 32 min, 6 pts, 7 boards, 3-7, outscored and outboarded by Brenda Haywood (10 and 9, 4 offensive).

looks kinda Nazr-riffic.

;)

BlueNGold
01-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Webber's line: 32 min, 6 pts, 7 boards, 3-7, outscored and outboarded by Brenda Haywood (10 and 9, 4 offensive).

looks kinda Nazr-riffic.

;)

Haywood is pretty bad, but has always played much better against soft, smallish centers like Webber. This will be true against a number of playoff teams...and will be a big problem for Detroit in the playoffs.

Anthem
01-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Keep an eye on Rip Hamilton, because for my money, few in the league do a better job guarding him than Stephen Jackson. I'm curious to see if Quis, Dunleavy, and Granger will be able to keep up.
A great point. Hopefully Quis can handle the heavy lifting... Rip's too fast for Danny and he'll abuse DunDun.

denyfizle
01-27-2007, 11:05 AM
We have a lot of bodies to throw on Rip. LeBron and Wade are bigger problems.

denyfizle
01-27-2007, 11:06 AM
I forgot about Gilbert.

Hicks
01-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Keep in mind, when we're talking Pacers v. Pistons, that was the old Pacers that went 2-0.

My prediction? Dunleavy will be OK if we focus on Rip as a team defensively, possibly just playing a 3-2 zone or something. Otherwise, struggle-city.

Quis I remember looking like he covered Rip around the court well, so I feel OK about that matchup.

Danny needs to be treated like Mike re: our team D when he's on Rip, but they'll ignore the fact that he isn't small/fast enough to keep up with him around multiple picks (due to him commonly being thought of as a good defender) and he'll in turn get left behind.

BlueNGold
01-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Jack was our best defender on Rip and was capable of containing him. Quis should get the assignment, but I think Jack's length and strength bothered Rip....where Quis is more about quickness. Danny will get some time on him as well.

I actually think Rawle is capable, but may not get a chance.

Unclebuck
01-27-2007, 02:27 PM
I remember Granger doing fairly well on Rip.

The problem is if we put Danny on Rip then Mike has to guard Tay - and I don't know if that is what we want.

shags
01-27-2007, 03:13 PM
I remember Granger doing fairly well on Rip.

The problem is if we put Danny on Rip then Mike has to guard Tay - and I don't know if that is what we want.

When Prince first started playing for the Pistons, the first 4 meetings between the Pistons and Warriors Prince DESTROYED Dunleavy. Scored at will on him. I think it's because Dunleavy went 3rd in the same draft Prince went 23rd - and Prince thought he was the better player.

It hasn't happened the last few meetings, if I recall. But that will probably be the matchup - Dunleavy on Prince and Granger on Rip.