PDA

View Full Version : Iam Thompson on SI.com ---Donnie Walsh interview

v_d_g
01-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Read it at http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/ian_thomsen/01/25/spurs/4.html

Here's an excerpt:

On changing the personality of his team:
"When players don't fit together, it's going to affect the attitude. If guys are trying to do the same things, that's not going to work. Al wants to shoot the ball and he wants to post up, and that's OK. But we've got Jermaine who we're going to post up. In the long run didn't think they were going to fit together.
"They were friends, very close friends, so I think they didn't want to acknowledge it. But it was always going to be there, the feeling that one is holding the other back.''

What's hard for me to deal with is that DW matter of factly discusses AL's 'faults', i.e. why AL didn't work out.

YET, he was the GM when AL was with the Pacers previously. Was he completely clueless as to AL's game (then and with the Pacers) or did he anticipate some miraculous transformation? Seems like DW and LB did much research (NOT) and pondered long and hard (NOT) before giving up a precious 2007 #1 for AL.

For this alone DW needs to be relieved of his duties.

Can we get the owner to read this quote?

Bird can always explain away his part by claiming that he spent a good deal of the year SCOUTING in Europe, hoping to dig up a few more jems (we know how that worked out).

Gyron
01-26-2007, 04:51 PM
V_D_G, give it up man.

No one knows how good that pick is gonna be. And in the long run, bringing Al here was used to get other players that we could not have gotten without him.

And I'm very sure Donnie is saying this in response to Al's criticism to the team.

So get over it on the pick.

Your harping on the pick is getting tiring.

bnd45
01-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Losing the 1st pick is really not that huge of a blow. We're gonna make the playoffs, so the pick we'll be in the mid-teens. Building a team through the draft is what the Bobcats and Hawks try to do.

We have Granger and Ike both in their 2nd year, Shawne Williams in his rookie year, and a relatively young Marquis Daniels. Plus we still have our big project David Harrison. (Rawle Marshall, Orien Greene are 2 other young guys we have on the roster.) Not too many teams can boast that type of young talent.

imawhat
01-26-2007, 05:07 PM
What's hard for me to deal with is that DW matter of factly discusses AL's 'faults', i.e. why AL didn't work out.

YET, he was the GM when AL was with the Pacers previously. Was he completely clueless as to AL's game (then and with the Pacers) or did he anticipate some miraculous transformation? Seems like DW and LB did much research (NOT) and pondered long and hard (NOT) before giving up a precious 2007 #1 for AL.

Al's game was much different in his previous stint, as was Jermaine's. Plus, Al wasn't a starter, so their games didn't really take anything away from each other. It's as simple as that.

maragin
01-26-2007, 05:15 PM
What is that I hear? It sounds like a record, only broken.

Shade
01-26-2007, 05:28 PM
Firstly, can we all stop with the "Fire Donnie Walsh" brigade? Whether you want him gone or not, it would be a PR disaster to fire him when this is likely his last season anyway. It's not gonna happen, so please stop asking for it.

Secondly, as was stated already, Al was a different player the second time around and was not previously a starter here. Al was also acquired for PR reasons, since he's a fan favorite. Al punched his own ticket out of town with this selfishness. Again.

v_d_g
01-26-2007, 05:40 PM
Yeah

We took on a ton of salary and we're gonna be our typical 6-8 seed and have very little life in the playoffs. Life is good for the Pacers. (Hell, we can do this quicksand thing for the next 10 years or so.)

And just when we maybe had a shot to get someone good in the draft (yeah, even in the teens) we had to give it up. Not like we can get someone like David Lee in the teens. (Oh yeah, he was picked in the '20's). The good thing about the draft is that anything can happen ---unless, of course, you're not in it ---ask Minnesota.

I suggest, that TPTB merely needed to watch the Hawks play to realize that AL's game was not 'portable'.

Let's see if this becomes an issue come draft day.

And let's hope that Diogu develops into a star (Williams, too) or we can just go with the status quo ---mediocrity.

Anthem
01-26-2007, 05:50 PM
Yeah

We took on a ton of salary and we're gonna be our typical 6-8 seed and have very little life in the playoffs. Life is good for the Pacers. (Hell, we can do this quicksand thing for the next 10 years or so.)

And just when we maybe had a shot to get someone good in the draft (yeah, even in the teens) we had to give it up. Not like we can get someone like David Lee in the teens. (Oh yeah, he was picked in the '20's). The good thing about the draft is that anything can happen ---unless, of course, you're not in it ---ask Minnesota.

I suggest, that TPTB merely needed to watch the Hawks play to realize that AL's game was not 'portable'.

And let's hope that Diogu develops into a star (Williams, too) or we can just go with the status quo ---mediocrity.
You know, I hear there's still room on the Knick's bandwagon... maybe you should grab a seat before they fill up.

Quis
01-26-2007, 05:56 PM
Yeah

Lateteen 1st's aren't that valuable. If there's someone available at that point that Walsh and Bird like, a trade wouldn't exactly be difficult.

Anthem
01-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Aside from the original poster, there's actually a lot of good information in that article. We could probably mine it for a while. For example:

Then I looked at Al and Jermaine: We were playing Al at small forward and it felt like Al had to play at power forward, but when we put Jermaine at center we weren't big enough.

"Then when I saw what I could get from Mully, I felt that Murphy would be a better fit at power forward than Al.''
So he considers JO to be the center and Murph to be the power forward.

I thought this was pretty funny:

"Not that I'm ultra-secret, but at least in this trade the reason it was kept that quiet is pretty simple. I was dealing with Chris Mullin, he was dealing with me and Larry Bird was the only other person on the planet who knew about it. And those are the most closemouthed people you'll find on this planet.''

And this was big:

"I'm glad we're away from just walking the ball down, throw it in the post, everybody tries to wait until somebody double-teams and then throw the ball out.

You and me both Donnie!!

Ehh, just read the article.

ChicagoJ
01-26-2007, 06:10 PM
"Valuable 2007 draft pick"?

With last week's trade, the team will improve to the point that the draft pick is going to be in the high teens or low twenties.

Unless a player of Granger's caliber comes tumbling, that rarely generates a rotation player on a playoff caliber team, even in a "deep" draft.

Al > 1st round draft pick
Diogu > 1st round draft pick

Unclebuck
01-26-2007, 06:14 PM
"Valuable 2007 draft pick"?

With last week's trade, the team will improve to the point that the draft pick is going to be in the high teens or low twenties.

Unless a player of Granger's caliber comes tumbling, that rarely generates a rotation player on a playoff caliber team, even in a "deep" draft.

Al > 1st round draft pick
Diogu > 1st round draft pick

Very true and Pacers recent history shows that if a player they really like does fall down past 18 or 20 the pacers will make a trade to get the specific player

ChicagoJ
01-26-2007, 06:47 PM
Like Tinsley?

:devil:

BlueNGold
01-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Yeah

You make no sense at all. On one hand you say TPTB are stupid, but then you assume they are capable of making a fantastic pick at #20.

Young
01-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Like Tinsley?

:devil:

Which could have been Boris Diaw! Booooo!

Mourning
01-26-2007, 07:11 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Someone needs to tell this guy to shut up about that 2007 first rounder or get banned or something, because I think he's really gotten on about EVERYBODY's nerves rightnow.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

LoneGranger33
01-26-2007, 07:44 PM
Listen, we all probably want that draft pick back, but whatever - past is past. We'll see how things play out.

I hope we haven't lost out on that hidden jem. I love jems. Jems are shiny. Oh, that's right. It's spelled GEM!

able
01-26-2007, 08:15 PM
I know the answer........: v_d_g is in TELEMARKETING!!!!!!!!

:D

The only way you can explain the repetition

tdubb03
01-26-2007, 08:23 PM
Hasn't Donnie Walsh been responsible for something like 17 playoff teams in his 20 seasons as GM? I realize there's no championship to show for it, but I'd much rather deal with the heartbreak of a playoff series loss than having to realize our season's over after 15 games.

Bball
01-26-2007, 08:46 PM
So Donnie is taking credit for all of Bird's work? ;)

-Bball

Shack80
01-26-2007, 09:33 PM
Hasn't Donnie Walsh been responsible for something like 17 playoff teams in his 20 seasons as GM? I realize there's no championship to show for it, but I'd much rather deal with the heartbreak of a playoff series loss than having to realize our season's over after 15 games.

Damn right. It has been a long fun run with Donnie, I will hold no grudge against him. He may not be perfect, he may not have gotten us a championship, but he has given us a competitiive team for many years. A lot of fans would trade for that.

Major Cold
01-26-2007, 10:51 PM
Different league same problem. Terrel Owens has been a problem to many organizations. After an arbitrator allowed TO to be a free agent the trade went as followed:

"The Eagles sent a fifth-round draft pick to Baltimore and defensive end Brandon Whiting to San Francisco. The Ravens get back the second-round pick they sent to the 49ers for Owens." (http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/PHI/7180470)

Whiting if you recall was nothing. He was often injured. He only played 5 games with the 49ers.

Whiting for TO? Seems fair. Let me ask you VDG. Is essentialing trading Artest and a #1 pick for Al (in how you summarize 2 years of NBA damage control) worse than that? I mean I have more things to be angry for than this. For what Artest dealt to this franchise, where we are at is impressive. Is the TO trade an apples and oranges situation?

LAtrell Sprewell was traded to the KNicks for Starks, Child, and Terry Cummings in 99

John Starks averaged under 15 points for the GSWs on 37% for the field and 31% from 3pt.

Chris Mills never played over 61 games in a season for the Warriors. His % was worse than Starks

Terry Cummings also had a great lock-out season (greatest since the early 90s) but the folloing year was his last. He played 77 games with the Warriors.

Were they worth Spree? Look at the stats for the Spree and the Knicks? http://www.nba.com/playerfile/latrell_sprewell/index.html. Spree was electric in the 99 playoffs averaging 26 points against the Spurs, seemily the only Knick playing that series.

What is the point? Damage control. GSW were better off without him. Why didn't they fire PJ? Spree seemed worth more than him? How about we reward the felons in prison and see where our country goes (in a sense we do; free college ed; free cable; air condition)

If you want to stack this up so plainly then you are blind to the nature of Pro sports. The Pacers got a steal in my book. And they are making getting rid of Artest even more brillant as he whines in Sacremento. We have team players and believe me the mid-round 1st pick is worth Diogu.

Eindar
01-26-2007, 11:17 PM
Good read.

Don't feed the trolls.

The End.

beast23
01-26-2007, 11:58 PM
Good read.

Don't feed the trolls.

The End.
No kidding.

You guys happen to remember the "Gong Show"?

Well, congratulations VDG. You just got "gonged" by me.

Naptown_Seth
01-27-2007, 05:04 AM
Just think, with that pick the Pacers could have drafted the next Chris Jackson...err, Pervis Ellison...I mean Scott Haskin...oh wait...

In other words, you never freaking know, even when all the scouts are 100% certain. We do know that the team has a very promsing set of frontline picks with Ike, Granger and Shawne. WTF does this team need with more young, promising talent now? Even the vets are pretty young.

Maybe the focus should be on turning the future stars into present stars rather than acquiring more future stars.

NuffSaid
01-27-2007, 08:39 AM
Read it at http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/ian_thomsen/01/25/spurs/4.html

Here's an excerpt:

• On changing the personality of his team:
"When players don't fit together, it's going to affect the attitude. If guys are trying to do the same things, that's not going to work. Al wants to shoot the ball and he wants to post up, and that's OK. But we've got Jermaine who we're going to post up. In the long run didn't think they were going to fit together.
"They were friends, very close friends, so I think they didn't want to acknowledge it. But it was always going to be there, the feeling that one is holding the other back.''

Bird can always explain away his part by claiming that he spent a good deal of the year SCOUTING in Europe, hoping to dig up a few more jems (we know how that worked out).
I've said it before, I'll say it again: The off-season trades/acquisitions were more to rebuild "character" to this team as a whole than it was about putting the right "championship caliber pieces together".

That said, I don't think DW/Bird went into this season thinking they'd ever find the right mix of players to take this team deep into the post season, but they have done the right thing in finding the right mix of talented players who want to learn and play the right way. But make no mistake: coming into this season wasn't about getting to the Finals. It was about "restoring" order and "restoring" character and "restoring" unit cohesiveness (chemistry).

Speaking strictly on the reacquisition of Big Al, I was a gamble. DW/Bird saw that Al's game had improved, particularly his long-ball game, and wanted that skill-set to compliment JO since the Pacers clearly didn't have that on a consistent basis since Reggie retired. It's apparent (to me atleast) that the hope was that Al would accept his role either as a big body at Center, a backup to JO when he rotated out of the lineup, or as has been report a defender and deep-ball threat from SF because he "asked" to be placed their. (Yeah, right!) Look how well that ultimately turned out? Sad thing is there was some success w/JO at the 4 and Al at the 3...but it was marginal at best.

JO was right when he essentially said, "I'm working my butt off and we still have guys here who aren't pulling their weight - guys I've trusted and befriended and they're missing their assignments on purpose. Either we get rid of them and replace them with guys who want to be here and want to work hard and fight for a championship now, or I'm outta here!" And within weeks...days...we get Murphy, Dunleavy, Diogu and McLeod, and the Pacers have played some of their best basketball all season since.

I know I've said this before and some may think I'm thumping my chest for it (Okay, so I am somewhat...just a little bit...:D ) that JO and Al just didn't seem to be working out. Some of you even noticed that Al seemed to perform better when JO wasn't on the floor w/him as opposed to both of them being out there together. It was obvious these two - no matter how close friends they are - will never work well together on the court. Al continues to see himself as #2 behind JO instead of as his "right-hand man". The sad thing is Al had the one skill JO and this team needed which complimented JO's game - perimeter shooting. And yet, he couldn't see the long-term benefit his long-ball game could have had here. So very sad...

DW did the right thing in letting Al go. The Pacers are better off w/o him. Here's hoping his 3rd career somewhere else goes well, but he's doomed to failure if he continues to see himself as "the 1" rather than the "sums of many" parts that make up the "whole".

denyfizle
01-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Colts are going to the Superbowl. I'd trade Al Harrington, Jackson, Tinsley, Sauron and everybody else except JO and DG for DLeaguers just because the Colts made it to the big dance. Irrelevant? Perhaps. But if you're an INDY sports fan, it's worth it. Enough about the negativity already, Walsh made the best out of our dirty laundry. Larry will probably learn now to lessen his flights to Europe. All is well. Now let's slay us some Chicago Bears.

Hicks
01-27-2007, 10:38 AM
Colts are going to the Superbowl. I'd trade Al Harrington, Jackson, Tinsley, Sauron and everybody else except JO and DG for DLeaguers just because the Colts made it to the big dance. Irrelevant? Perhaps. But if you're an INDY sports fan, it's worth it. Enough about the negativity already, Walsh made the best out of our dirty laundry. Larry will probably learn now to lessen his flights to Europe. All is well. Now let's slay us some Chicago Bears.

The eye?!

SoupIsGood
01-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Haha, he managed to mention both the pick and David Lee yet AGAIN.

I don't care that we lost the pick now that we got Ike back. I mean, the guys a good young player, and was, what, like the 9th pick? We've got plenty of young talent.

Naptown_Seth
01-27-2007, 02:29 PM
The eye?!
I'm surprised the team hadn't done more with that kind of power in the lineup.

I guess "amassing large hordes of evil orcs" doesn't really win you ball games if they can't set a pick or make an 18 foot jumper. And shouldn't a fell beast get you better than an 18 inch vert?

My vote for biggest Pacers bust ever.

owl
01-27-2007, 02:36 PM

This is the song that never ends...
It just goes on and on my friend...
Someone started singing it not knowing what it was....
And they will go on singing it for ever just because...
This is the song that never ends....................................

:- )

dohman
01-27-2007, 02:56 PM
no reason to even reply or get upset. Something alot of you need to learn is if you wrestle with a pig you will only get dirty.

maragin
01-27-2007, 07:08 PM
My vote for biggest Pacers bust ever.

That would have to be Ann Meyers by default, unless we are counting the cheerleaders. Does hoopshype have bra sizes?