PDA

View Full Version : Do you realize we're only 3 games out of first place?

Anthem
01-26-2007, 01:15 AM
How crazy is that?

Trader Joe
01-26-2007, 01:27 AM
:crazy:

Aw Heck
01-26-2007, 01:30 AM
That is crazy. It just goes to show how crappy the East is this year. I remember them showing the East standings during the Heat game and I was amazed that all the teams were hovering slightly above .500.

The East really is wide open this year. Whoever gets to the Finals is probably going to get crushed.

TheDon
01-26-2007, 01:32 AM
I think we can get it too. We got ourselves a great post player and some complimentary players around said post player, that's about all it takes in the east, Detroit is living proof of that!! Of course it would also help to get Tinsley on track and in the right mindset would go a long way.

:gopacers:

odeez
01-26-2007, 06:06 AM
YES, that is why every single game is important. We need first place!

FlavaDave
01-26-2007, 09:27 AM
Even if the conference is a little weak, a division title and ECF birth would go a long way towards boosting the confidence of our young guys.

denyfizle
01-26-2007, 09:49 AM
Just one more piece. I don't know who it is we need but if LB and DW bring one more guy that can help our team in our weaknesses without giving up anything that can hurt us, we can steal the EAST. As it is, funny as it may sound, the team to beat in the EAST is Washington. Detroit's not who they we last year. Cleveland has a lot of flaws. Miami is basically a one man show at this moment. I mean, this is the perfect year to really push for the finals. We're not that far off. Maybe trade Tinsley and somebody to get a real solid PG like a Jason Kidd or another superstar to play alongside JO.

purdue101
01-26-2007, 09:57 AM
keep in mind that we have also played far more road games & back-to-backs than the teams in front of of us. most of those teams in front are horrible on the road.

i think we have a great shot to move into first by the end of feb. 11 of our next 14 are at home and both of our road games are against sub 500 teams (memphis & toronto).

ABADays
01-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Pretty amazing isn't it.

aero
01-26-2007, 12:35 PM
ill get excited about it when its april and we are 3 games out of first...until then im "eh" about it...I want to see us go on a 4 - 5 game winning streak. I look forward to that more really.

Anthem
01-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Just one more piece. I don't know who it is we need but if LB and DW bring one more guy that can help our team in our weaknesses without giving up anything that can hurt us, we can steal the EAST.
I really believe this is true.

We can make this work. Adding a really solid SG or PG would put us at the top of the pile.

Young
01-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Man teams need to get better especially in the East.

The Central Division is pretty good. Even the Bucks, who are under .500 right now could easily finish above .500. They have had some injury problems though.

It's just really sad that Toronto isn't even .500 but are the leaders of the Atlantic.

Naptown_Seth
01-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Let's keep in mind that this team is actually worse than where the pre-trade team got to in terms of games over .500 and definitely winning PCT.

It's not that they've made a run, just that the East has been within reach all year. One reason why I didn't get people so mad and ready to bail prior to the trade, even though that roster was frustrating in its ability to win tough games and then blow easy ones.

The team has an elite PF (by this year's play), a strong coach, and tons of depth. The #2/#3 scoring options may still vary from game to game but the talent is there. The defense has improved by FG% allowed so perhaps that problem will go away as the guys play together (I'm not certain it will, but you've got to have hope).

It's just really sad that Toronto isn't even .500 but are the leaders of the Atlantic.
Their schedule was especially rough to start the year. They look very likely to get over .500 to me.

Cactus Jax
01-26-2007, 11:29 PM
Still think if the Pacers could trade Ike Diogu or Shawne Williams, and Hulk + filler for Andre Miller, it would really create a nice balance on them team. I would assume Philly would be willing to move him for young pieces, but who knows.

quiller
01-26-2007, 11:41 PM
ill get excited about it when its april and we are 3 games out of first...until then im "eh" about it...I want to see us go on a 4 - 5 game winning streak. I look forward to that more really.

Yes... that 4 game loosing streak really hurt... becuase if you join this thread with the tough schedule thread about our March schedule it seems it will be very hard for this team to still be in touch come April. Though I fully expect them to...

Hicks
01-26-2007, 11:42 PM
Let's keep in mind that this team is actually worse than where the pre-trade team got to in terms of games over .500 and definitely winning PCT.

They've only been together 3 games! And they're 2-1 so far! What an unfair comparison.

ajbry
01-27-2007, 12:24 AM

Exactly, we shouldn't be too excited. Although we're close, the play of this team hasn't shown us that they should be considered amongst the top tier of the East. Let's see what happens with the new players after a month or two.

Anthem
01-27-2007, 01:10 AM
Make that 2.5 games!

Naptown_Seth
01-27-2007, 05:37 AM
They've only been together 3 games! And they're 2-1 so far! What an unfair comparison.
I meant in the standings.

How can we be thrilled at 2 games over .500 but PO'd that the team was "only" 4 games over .500 about a week ago. Just play fair is all I'm saying. 2 games over is 2 games over.

They are 2-1 in 3 home games, 2 of which were against sub-500 teams. It's not be being negative, it's a dose of reality. This is like the Wolves beating Sacto and the Lakers in Minny, but losing to the Blazers. When you change the names but keep a similar relationship it doesn't seem as shiny, that's my point.

They have this long set of home games, and one of the 2 road games is just down to Memphis to play one of the weakest teams in the league. It won't "be nice" if they get a winning streak going, it should be expected even from a 5-7 seed playoff team.

Don't get uptight about me grounding this. It's the same as me not crying for the destruction of the team a month ago when they were also playing "just average". This team isn't awesome or horrible and hasn't been all year, a view I've consistantly held.

I happen to like the on-court chemistry with all 3 major additions, and there seems to be some hope that this is an improvement. We just won't freaking know till about 6 weeks from now if they are really good or just enjoying the most favorable stretch of their schedule....kinda like Miami going off with all those home games in 03-04 to finish out, then hitting the playoffs and finding out they still couldn't win on the road.

naptown
01-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Seth, say what you want about this upcoming stretch. But at then end of the year they all play 41 at home and 41 on the road. Few gave this team any breaks when they played 13 of 19 on the road, but now you are going to mimimize any success they have when the schedule balances that out. That aint being fair

Maybe it is only a honeymoon period with these new guys, but I dont think so. This team is playing more as a unit than it has all year. And the new guys aint even comfortable yet. The only question is, will it last and will they build upon it. That is the reality of it.

Mourning
01-27-2007, 10:42 AM

I aggree Hicks. The whole notion of the comparison that was made is ridiculous. Not too mention the team has to integrate important several new "parts".

I think the team has done better then I expected since the trade.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Hicks
01-27-2007, 11:18 AM
I aggree Hicks. The whole notion of the comparison that was made is ridiculous. Not too mention the team has to integrate important several new "parts".

I think the team has done better then I expected since the trade.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Exactly.

As for "2 games over is 2 games over". Well the comparison is flawed. The pre-trade team had almost 40 games to try to get over 4 games above .500. This team has had 3 games. The reason people are high on this team more than pre-trade is because of how they're playing, not stats.

Will Galen
01-27-2007, 12:11 PM
Few gave this team any breaks when they played 13 of 19 on the road, but now you are going to mimimize any success they have when the schedule balances that out. That aint being fair

Seth is pointing out it's a different Pacer team. And you really do have to give them some time before you can judge them, that's not minimizing any success they have that's being realistic.

Plus there could be another trade and then we would have to start all over.

naptown
01-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Seth is pointing out it's a different Pacer team.

I didnt get that from Seth's post at all with the whole "thrilled at 2 games over .500" thing. Particularly when you consider they have only played 3 games.

If he wants to play semantics with numbers that is a .667 winning percentage. Which would be number one in the conference and 3rd overall in the league. But we all know that is far from reality too. Anyone can bend and twist stats to make them say anything they want.

And you really do have to give them some time before you can judge them....

Exactly, that was the whole point of my reply to him. That and that there is nothing wrong with being enthused and optimistic with the way this team has played thus far post trade. And I aint talking about wins and loses, I am talking about how they have played as a cohesive unit on the floor. That is very encouraging in and of itself compared to how this team played pre-trade.

The only thing left unanswered, as I said in my previous post, is will it last and will they build upon it.