PDA

View Full Version : OT: phpBB : Critical Error Could not connect to the database

Slick Pinkham
05-12-2004, 03:47 PM
I get this error message frequently when trying to access this site.

Do others have this problem?

indygeezer
05-12-2004, 03:51 PM
very often....unstable platform?????

I read that phrase somewhere ;)

ROCislandWarrior
05-12-2004, 03:53 PM
same here

kerosene
05-12-2004, 03:55 PM
I see it once in a while. Usually from home, not from work.

Gyron
05-12-2004, 03:56 PM
Same here, I'm sure Able is aware of it, but maybe not. I seem to recall once before him saying something about that happening when things are down somewhere along the chain, but maybe I'm remembering that from another message board I frequent....

Not that I care, but should we move this to the feedback forum?

Hicks
05-12-2004, 04:01 PM
I've seen it often as well, most recently this morning. If able wasn't aware (which I'm sure he was), he is now. :cool:

TheSauceMaster
05-12-2004, 04:19 PM
seen it several times in the past few days , 2 times already today

able
05-12-2004, 04:25 PM
hmm thanks for telling me :)

Ok, what does it mean:

The MySql dbase is A. recycling (in which case the forum is back on a refresh)
B. Apache mod_sql overload, again, refresh solves
C. there is a problem with either (MySql, Apacha, ModSql)
I will do some upgrades and checks this weekend. or sooner if i can fnd some minutes, or one of my sys-admins who seem to be in holiday mode.

Please however, IF you experience problems let me know asap, my email is known.

some have my MSN stuff, though i do not use that frequently.

Jabber anyone ? :D

ANy problems with the site, PLEASE let me know, I can not fix it if I do not experience it.

P.S. it can also be a "llocal" problem to you, i.e. loss of packets on a dbase can easily be fatal on loading a page, again, refresh is your friend.

and i have not had the problem for weeks.

TheSauceMaster
05-12-2004, 04:47 PM
From what I see , I see the same error on the forum as listed but if I goto the front page , I see too many sql connections or cannot conect to mysql.

Pig Nash
05-12-2004, 06:37 PM
I've only had this happen once and it was yesterday. Whenever this happens on another phpBB board i'm on, it means that there was actually an error or that the admins were making upgrades.

Hoop
05-12-2004, 06:44 PM
It's happens every few days for me, if I wait about 5 or 10 minutes I usually get in the next try.

sweabs
05-12-2004, 06:57 PM
It's happens every few days for me, if I wait about 5 or 10 minutes I usually get in the next try.

Same here. :(

PistonsDynasty
05-12-2004, 07:16 PM
The 1st time this happened to me I was thinking I was banned and they blocked my ip# LOL

able
05-12-2004, 07:28 PM
On a server, like the one this board is on, a lot of things run at the same time

For instance there are about 250 websites served from it, not all big but some are big.

A lot os users use mysql, other use postgres or even worse some use oracle, the server takes care of all.

It can happen that auto-backups are made, that the logs are cycling, that the sql server is restarted, that one of the webservers are restarted, many things go on at the same time.

ALso some sites i host do live broadcasts, when they start up an enormous amount of people log on at the same time and in those peaks, mysql is the worst databse in the world.

it just refuses to connect to many at the same time, unlike the others mentioned.

YOu can all do me a favour when it happens, and save me the time from parsing apache & mysql logs that gather about 1.5 Gb data per log per day for the faults: If it happens, make a screenshot, or note the time and pm me.

that way i can see if there is a pattern first, before i go of on a wild goose chase :)

obnoxiousmodesty
05-12-2004, 07:35 PM

I third that
Fourthed.

ChicagoJ
05-13-2004, 11:29 AM

I third that
Fourthed.

Twice to me this morning, when I hit the "preview" button each time.

bulletproof
05-13-2004, 11:31 AM
Just happened to me. Third time this week.