PDA

View Full Version : Ask Sam Smith (mentions O'Neal)

Young
01-25-2007, 08:44 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/askthewriter/cs-070124asksamsmith,1,4700450.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

<b>A couple questions on Jermaine O'Neal: I love his game but he's also a frustrating player to watch sometimes, like an SF in a center's body. He's got a great shooting touch and blocks like crazy, but seems to hate all the shoving in the post. What's with that? You beat on him some earlier this week for complaining about his team, which was a tacky thing for him to do. But O'Neal does work with some certifiable knuckleheads while he's been quite classy as he's literally grown up in the spotlight. How much of this "disgruntled player" stuff is manufactured by bored reporters with inches to fill and not much to say about a .500 team during the regular season? --Chris R., Chicago</b>

<i>With all the talk about Garnett, he may be the one to be traded because it seems clear the Pacers are close to breaking up their team. The big problem with O'Neal is the way you opened: He should be a power post player, but he doesn't like the contact. He prefers to wander outside and shoot jumpers. You don't need an $18 million power forward to do that. It's probably the big reason why the Pacers never have gone far in the playoffs with him despite that great talent. So they get rid of another of the knuckleheads in Stephen Jackson and I heard O'Neal was fine with letting Harrington go because Harrington was clogging things up for him in his 15-foot range and then O'Neal complains about the team being close and now having to start over. He's a guy who always seems to be upset with something, though he is not a major distraction. It's frustrating for a team and I wouldn't be surprised if the Pacers quietly begin taking bids on him.</i>

CableKC
01-25-2007, 09:13 PM
When it comes to the Pacers, I think that Sam Smith shares notes with :kravitz:

Jermaniac
01-25-2007, 09:35 PM
Sam Smith loves him some Jermaine O'Neal. He writes about Jermaine more then he does about the Bulls.

Isaac
01-25-2007, 10:06 PM
I bet neither Sam or the person asking the question have watched Jermaine more then 5 or 6 times this season, if not less.

Its amazing how many people have no clue.

Mushmouth
01-25-2007, 10:13 PM
sam smith is a comedian, nothing more.

Anthem
01-25-2007, 10:24 PM
Sam wants to drive the price down... he really wants Jermaine on the Bulls.

It's been documented many times.

FrenchConnection
01-25-2007, 10:40 PM
Never gone far in the playoffs with JO. How about the ECF? That is not far in the playoffs? And where does he get that the Pacers are looking to blow-up the team? They just made a trade for veterans. Veterans that were acquired to complement JO, not replace him. That sure does not look like a team looking to completly rebuild. How he get to write a column in a major paper is beyond me.

Naptown_Seth
01-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Sam Smith loves him some Jermaine O'Neal. He writes about Jermaine more then he does about the Bulls.
He wants him so bad in Chicago it's killing him. He'd kick Ben Wallace out of a moving car to get JO on the team in his place right now.

His articles are about breaking down JO's market value and to stir up dissent within TPTB for the Pacers regarding JO.

Sam wants to drive the price down... he really wants Jermaine on the Bulls.

It's been documented many times.
Yep.

odeez
01-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Sam Smith is a hater. So easy talk negative. JO has been having a great year. And as for the past playoff failures, I don't think you can blame JO for that. Remember the brawl? Why don't stick to the BULLS.

Shade
01-26-2007, 02:49 PM
It's probably the big reason why the Pacers never have gone far in the playoffs with him despite that great talent.

The 2004 ECF called. They'd like their results back.

Robertmto
01-26-2007, 02:57 PM
I mean technically that was still Reggie's team.

Anthem
01-26-2007, 05:25 PM
I mean technically that was still Reggie's team.
Hardly.

Gyron
01-26-2007, 05:54 PM
I love how they say they are close to breaking up this team. Haven't they been breaking it apart since last year? How many new players do we have since this time last year?

Jermaniac
01-26-2007, 06:03 PM
I mean technically that was still Reggie's team.Reggie was the 4th option on that team, that was Jermaines team. Reggie and Jermaine will tell you that.

Evan_The_Dude
01-26-2007, 06:15 PM
What Sam Smith doesn't realize is that we've already quietly broken up our team and put it back together again -- hardly missing a beat. He needs to understand that not every team needs to spend 3-4 years out of playoff contention to rebuild.

Anthem
01-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Our current roster:

Darrell Armstrong
Maceo Baston
Marquis Daniels
Ike Diogu
Mike Dunleavy
Jeff Foster
Danny Granger
Orien Greene
David Harrison
Rawle Marshall
Keith McLeod
Troy Murphy
Jermaine O'Neal
Jamaal Tinsley
Shawne Williams

5 players remain from last year, and only 2 of last year's starters are still starting.

And I wouldn't be surprised if we move another 2 players before the deadline.

Naptown_Seth
01-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Hardly.
No, he's right, it was Reggie's team. That's why Reggie took it upon himself to blow the end of game 2. ;)

(ps - I don't really blame Reggie on that and loved everything about his efforts, even the final year when he shot like crap)

Los Angeles
01-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Our current roster:

Darrell Armstrong
Maceo Baston
Marquis Daniels
Ike Diogu
Mike Dunleavy
Jeff Foster
Danny Granger
Orien Greene
David Harrison
Rawle Marshall
Keith McLeod
Troy Murphy
Jermaine O'Neal
Jamaal Tinsley
Shawne Williams

5 players remain from last year, and only 2 of last year's starters are still starting.

And I wouldn't be surprised if we move another 2 players before the deadline.
Yep, and only four players remain from the brawl.