PDA

View Full Version : Rick's quote makes me ask: What if Saras were still here?

McKeyFan
01-25-2007, 07:04 AM
Rick's quote after Miami game:

" . . . we’ve got to search for some real emotion as a team. We need it collectively. We’ve got a good basketball team but we need some emotional fire out there."

You know, Saras fits the bill for that request.

I know Saras is gone. I liked him but I'm over it. But just for the sake of discussion (this IS a discussion board), I would like to hear opinions on whether Saras would have found a niche here post-trade.

tdubb03
01-25-2007, 07:14 AM
I don't think so. Not with Rick coaching at least.

Flax
01-25-2007, 08:14 AM
It was love and hate about Saras in Indiana. Certainly lots of emotions among fans. Has he left anyone indiferent?

Emotion as a team? Everyone has to get on one page. Players having different agendas do not share emotional bonding. JO wants to win championship, Tinsley and Foster might feel they are next to go, DA just does his job in a sunset of career playing for non-champuionship caliber team. And so on.

lafayettepacer
01-25-2007, 08:38 AM
From what I can tell of Saras before he came here, he was and is an emotional player. But, his emotions and his passion are a product of playing time and being in charge -- running the offense. He wasn't fast enough (on defense and offense) to be able to be in charge for the lion's share of minutes at PG. Because of that, he had less emotional impact on the team. In fact, you might even say that his emotions (sometimes bored indifference on the bench) had a negative impact on the team.

Evan_The_Dude
01-25-2007, 08:56 AM
I think he'd be a perfect fit now.

Fool
01-25-2007, 09:19 AM
Jax was a pretty emotional player. What if he were still there?

Cobol Sam
01-25-2007, 11:00 AM
WARNING: THIS POST MAY CAUSE A SEVERE STATE OF SHOCK

Alright I am going to be critical of Coach Carlisle, Larry, and Donnie for a moment. The attitude and demeanor of this team reflects that of the management. It is up to people at the top of an organization to develop the atmosphere.
I'm not saying that players have nothing to do with it, but when the entire feel of an organization is laid back, how many are really going to resist that norm and be firey? It takes someone like Darrel Armstrong, and we can't ask everyone to be him!

wintermute
01-25-2007, 12:06 PM
Jax was a pretty emotional player. What if he were still there?

this is a valid point. iirc, carlisle often referred to jax's emotion as an asset to the team, if properly channeled (i.e., not used up in fiery debates with refs/coaches)

certainly, one possible interpretation of carlisle's words is that he feels a void in emotional leadership now that jax is traded, and wants other guys to step up. darell armstrong is the obvious guy, and he's certainly done positive things with his emotion. but maybe carlisle wants someone among the regular starters (jermaine? danny?)

on saras, i agree with lafayettepacer's take. no doubt saras is a fiery guy, but it's not much use i think if he's not on the floor much.

btw, david harrison shows a lot of emotion too. just check out seth's story in the post-game thread. but i don't suppose that's the kind of emotion we want :-p

NuffSaid
01-25-2007, 12:55 PM
It's hard to say whether Runi would have fit in now or not.

On the one hand, the Pacers' backcourt is now playing with a little more control than it did before the trade. So much so that not even Tinsley has performed outside the lines...yet. I haven't seen many of those wild, no-look passes that make for great highlight reels, but often turn out to be turnovers because they're such wild passes!

On the other hand, the offense seems to be a bit quicker at getting the ball down court. I wouldn't say the Pacers have gotten into that elusive "uptempo" offense promised at the beginning of the season, but they sure are getting into their offensive sets alot faster. I think part of this is because every (Point) Guard who has handled the ball has done so with confidence and know how to protect the ball in pressure situations (i.e., half-court traps).

Finally, the PG rotation seems to be a abit more settled now than it was before. I think Runi's biggest problem was he wanted so bad to play solely at the Point he resented being plugged in at any other positions even if doing so meant "taking one for the team!". He hated playing SG because he's an instinctive player rather than a "fit into this mold" type of players.

So, maybe he would have fit now, maybe not. Odds are (in my view at least), he wouldn't have. Still, for what it's worth, I hated to see him go.

Naptown_Seth
01-25-2007, 01:17 PM
this is a valid point. iirc, carlisle often referred to jax's emotion as an asset to the team, if properly channeled (i.e., not used up in fiery debates with refs/coaches)

certainly, one possible interpretation of carlisle's words is that he feels a void in emotional leadership now that jax is traded, and wants other guys to step up. darell armstrong is the obvious guy, and he's certainly done positive things with his emotion. but maybe carlisle wants someone among the regular starters (jermaine? danny?)

on saras, i agree with lafayettepacer's take. no doubt saras is a fiery guy, but it's not much use i think if he's not on the floor much.

btw, david harrison shows a lot of emotion too. just check out seth's story in the post-game thread. but i don't suppose that's the kind of emotion we want :-p
I agree about Jack and Saras here. Jack was an emotional leader, a guy that seemed intense about winning when he was out there rather than satisfied to be on the side waiting for things to come his way.

Saras couldn't keep himself on the court, and actually could be more negative with his emotions than Jackson, as he often appeared to turn his frustrations onto teammates, sometimes even when he might have been the one at fault.

Jack does leave a void, but I don't think it will stay unfilled. First off JO has seemed oddly passive since the trade. Playing hard but not quite as outward as he normally is. Quis and DunDun seem far more central to the team's activity on the floor. That's not going to last IMO, I think JO gets used to the new situation and starts to exert some more outward fire in the next few weeks.

Obviously Armstrong will be a major factor, but he has been from the start. He is the exception and beyond the scope of normal interactions. He's a guy that would be the life of the party 2 minutes after everyone first met him.

Figure that most of it involved guys getting over the shock of the sudden trade and getting used to so many new, main PT faces. That was one of my complaints about the trade, the fact that you took a team struggling with consistancy of the roster for the last 3 years and you shake it up once again.

I don't care if it's sports or not, it's socially awkward to just jump in and be firey with guys you've been around for all of 1 week. Once they go through the emotional wringer for a month or so it should start to create improved dynamics (or bad ones if its mostly losing).

CableKC
01-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Your comments kind of remind me of what Conrad mentioned about Armstrong's play when Tinsley was out against Chicago.....his attitude, positive behavior and overall energy appears to rub off on the other players.

From what I read on the Game Thread...it appears that Armstong and Granger were the ones to light the fire under the team at the beginning of the 4th QTR by leading the charge to get us back into the game.

The problem is that Darrell won't be around forever....so we have to get someone like Granger or JONeal to step up and be this "emotional" leader on the Court. By default....this should be JONeal...mainly cuz he's the leader of the team.

CableKC
01-25-2007, 01:29 PM
First off JO has seemed oddly passive since the trade. Playing hard but not quite as outward as he normally is.

I have noticed this too......JONeal had been surprisingly quiet since the focus of the team has ( recently ) shifted to the newly acquired players and to Granger finally showing what he is capable of. I look at this as a good and bad sign.....good...since he's simply doing what he has done all season...simply focusing on playing and winning...bad...since he should be the face of the franchise.

Alpolloloco
01-25-2007, 04:28 PM
Sarunas, we Indy fans miss you!

We know you're better than you've showed us and unfortunately we didn't fit the team around you. Had this been the case you would have lead us to Indy's 2nd championship this year (iI'm counting on the Colts).

Ok, just show us Indy fans what we've missed on feb 5th!

avoidingtheclowns
01-25-2007, 05:11 PM
Runi wasn't ever going to fit into this style. he had passion, of course, but he wasn't a Rick style of player. ultimately i think Runi, bird and carlisle all share in the blame for the lack of success here. Bird = because he more than anyone else knew Rick’s style and just because a guy is great in Europe doesn’t mean it will translate overseas. Rick = because he didn’t try to adjust for Runi’s strengths. Runi = because he didn’t make much effort to conform to Rick’s system.

Runi will be successful in Don’s system or in Mike D’Antoni’s or now in the Grizzlies system (post-Fratello). But he just doesn’t focus on defense or solid playmaking which Rick can’t stand. I think its best that he is somewhere else for everyone involved.

OnlyPacersLeft
01-25-2007, 05:30 PM
It was love and hate about Saras in Indiana. Certainly lots of emotions among fans. Has he left anyone indiferent?

Emotion as a team? Everyone has to get on one page. Players having different agendas do not share emotional bonding. JO wants to win championship, Tinsley and Foster might feel they are next to go, DA just does his job in a sunset of career playing for non-champuionship caliber team. And so on.
yeah but DA played on the finals magic team and the mavs...so it's not all a non championship caliber team.

Anthem
01-25-2007, 06:36 PM
I'm intrigued by the "quiet Jermaine" thing. I think you're right, though.

Has Jermaine checked out because he's upset about the loss of Al? Or is he just turning into the quiet leader we've always wanted him to be?

rimock31
01-25-2007, 10:39 PM
I just think we should have held on to Saras and given up Foster considering we brought in Murphy who can rebound like Foster AND score on the offensive end. If the past few games have been an indication, Fosters role with the team has gone downhill bigtime, not to mention that a guy like Baston, who was developping nicely probably won't see the court anymore. It just seems to be like we're F/C heavy and short on guards who can shoot, and for that, you can't argue that we miss Saras, besides for the emotion aspect.

naptown
01-25-2007, 11:02 PM
If you want to get past Detroit and Miami in the playoffs you are going to need every big man we currently have on the roster. There is no way we get by them with only 3 bigs. We need all 4 of them. The playoffs are a completely different monster than the regular season.

Now if Harrison ever stayed healthy long enough to develop and learn how to stay out of foul trouble he could be that 4th big. But that obviously aint happening this season. So I dont want to see any of our 4 bigs going anywhere this year unless it means bringing in an elite PG or SG. A Ray Allen or Tony Parker type of player. Anything less would be a step backwards.

Anthem
01-25-2007, 11:32 PM
I can't see Sarunas getting minutes over DA.