PDA

View Full Version : Player option for Jermaine?

31andonly
01-24-2007, 09:52 AM
I just took a look at the Salaries on Hoopshype and noticed that Jermaine has a Player Option.

Is that correct?

If so, I really wonder whether or not Jermaine would opt out of his contract after the season.
After his comments earlier this year, I doubt Jermaine would want to stay in Indiana if the new team's not doing well!

Does Hoopshype provide serious information or is this Player Option - Thing wrong?

Since I really trust in this team to become a serious contender in about one or two years with Jermaine being the franchise player, I absolutely would want him to stay and would regret if he didn't share my opinion!

able
01-24-2007, 09:55 AM
The option is next year, not this one.

31andonly
01-24-2007, 09:59 AM
Thank you!

Will Galen
01-24-2007, 10:19 AM
I hardly go to Hoopshype anymore for salary information, they have a lot of things wrong.

Hicks
01-24-2007, 10:21 AM
I hardly go to Hoopshype anymore for salary information, they have a lot of things wrong.

Is there a more reliable source for this information? If so, I'll put that link up where HoopsHype currently sits at the top.

Los Angeles
01-24-2007, 11:10 AM
I think a notable Hoopshype situation was Austin Croshere, who was making half the salary that fans thought he was making after his player option.

Hoopshype just tries to "do the math" based on Cap situations, salary leaks, CBA rules and history. They do a pretty good job. But fans make the mistake of taking the figures reported there as gospel.

People here gave Croshere a terrible time for his "overpaid" status. Nobody has ever admitted that they were wrong or apologized for it. Croshere was not overpaid after his option.

[/soapbox]

I'll say again, this is not Hoopshype's fault, it's the fault of fans who put too much faith in the figures that are reported there.

Jermaniac
01-24-2007, 11:15 AM
I think a notable Hoopshype situation was Austin Croshere, who was making half the salary that fans thought he was making after his player option.

Hoopshype just tries to "do the math" based on Cap situations, salary leaks, CBA rules and history. They do a pretty good job. But fans make the mistake of taking the figures reported there as gospel.

People here gave Croshere a terrible time for his "overpaid" status. Nobody has ever admitted that they were wrong or apologized for it. Croshere was not overpaid after his option.

[/soapbox]

I'll say again, this is not Hoopshype's fault, it's the fault of fans who put too much faith in the figures that are reported there.He wasnt? He was making 7 million per. Other then him being a good teammate, he was doing nothing for this team. The guy is a horrible basketball player, other then his 1 in 20 games when he plays like an all star and then goes back to being the worst player on our team.

Los Angeles
01-24-2007, 12:05 PM
"doing nothing for this team"

"horrible basketball player"

"worst player on our team"

Your powers of persuasion have overwhelmed me. Say no more, I'm convinced of your objectivity and knowledge in this area. I was clearly wrong.

RWB
01-24-2007, 12:32 PM
Is there a more reliable source for this information? If so, I'll put that link up where HoopsHype currently sits at the top.

Here you go ladies and gentlemen. I can only assume SI may have better info.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/salaries/

PaceBalls
01-24-2007, 01:37 PM
I think it is highly unlikely JO would opt out of his contract after this year. No one will pay him that kind of money. It would be a horrible business decision.

Slick Pinkham
01-24-2007, 01:46 PM
The option is next year, not this one.

If hoopshype is correct, his salary for next year is a "player option" which means that he can opt out after this season.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/indiana.htm

Opting out and becoming a free agent would likely involve him accepting an enormous pay cut since few teams are under the cap, unless a sign-and-trade were worked out.

Not going to happen.

able
01-24-2007, 02:04 PM
If hoopshype is correct, his salary for next year is a "player option" which means that he can opt out after this season.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/indiana.htm

Opting out and becoming a free agent would likely involve him accepting an enormous pay cut since few teams are under the cap, unless a sign-and-trade were worked out.

Not going to happen.

Your assumption is wrong, he can only opt out at the end of the season, which is after next season.

Also the CBA does not allow option earlier then with 2 years left on a max-term contract.

sixthman
01-24-2007, 02:15 PM
I think it is clear JO will not opt out of his contract because he'd be a big looser financially.

Almost no teams will be under the cap enough to handle 20 mil of annual salary - and those few who might be able to get under the cap that far won't have a good supporting cast.

The threat of walking does give him more leverage though, if he would be in a position where he wanted to demand a trade.

Bball
01-24-2007, 02:17 PM
I think it is clear JO will not opt out of his contract because he'd be a big looser financially.

Almost no teams will be under the cap enough to handle 20 mil of annual salary - and those few who might be able to get under the cap that far won't have a good supporting cast.

The threat of walking does give him more leverage though, if he would be in a position where he wanted to demand a trade.

What if he opts out with the thinking the Indiana Pacers will up the ante?

-Bball

able
01-24-2007, 02:21 PM
What if another team is willing to give him a max for 6 years ?

He might lose out in the first 2 years, but after that he will recoup more then generoulsy, not a totally unheard of or impossible scenario.

Remember he is barely 28 so 29 when he would sign that, i.e under contract till 35, not exactly old for top tier post player.

Anthem
01-24-2007, 04:02 PM
Hoopshype was off a little on Croshere's salary, but not much. Just enough to make a trade workable.

Jermaniac
01-24-2007, 05:50 PM
"doing nothing for this team"

"horrible basketball player"

"worst player on our team"

Your powers of persuasion have overwhelmed me. Say no more, I'm convinced of your objectivity and knowledge in this area. I was clearly wrong.No problem. Everyone is wrong everynow and then.

JayRedd
01-24-2007, 06:28 PM

[/soapbox]

I'll say again, this is not Hoopshype's fault, it's the fault of fans who put too much faith in the figures that are reported there.

Everyone in the NBA media got this one wrong, not just Hoopshype. Austin had an abnormally structured contract and this was not leaked apparently. For some reason, he made the same amount each year for the life of his deal rather than getting the "standard raise" each season.

Every salary site and all members of the media had it wrong. This is the exception. The numbers on Hoopshype or Patricia's site (http://www.dfw.net/%7Epatricia/contracts) are for the most part accurate. I agree, don't take them as gospel, but they are rarely off by a significant amount.

vapacersfan
01-24-2007, 10:06 PM

[/soapbox]

I understand your point, and dont get me wrong cause I was a big Croshere fan, but lets be real here.

No matter how you break his salary down he was still immensely overpaid.

So I do now think anybody was "wrong" or "owed anyone a apology".

Of course we would all love Hoopshype to be right, but honestly I had never heard of a pro athelete (esp. NBA) having a set salary every year.

I can kind of understand his logic (or maybe his agents?) but most guys like the thought of their salary rising each season. I know I do, but I have never been in a long term contract situation, so maybe there is some kind of benefit to doing it the way he did.

Of course your point is taken. We should not taken that salary page for granted, which I agree far to many people do infact do that

Will Galen
01-26-2007, 01:38 AM
I go to the ESPN trade page for information on this years salary's. Looking at Hoopshype, offhand I think they have about 3 or 4 salary's wrong, plus JO's option year. What Able's said about JO's option year is correct.

If Hypeshype has that many salary's wrong on the Pacer's, why go there for other teams salary's?

I have to admit I still go there, but only for a view of coming salaries.

Los Angeles
01-26-2007, 10:48 AM
I understand your point, and dont get me wrong cause I was a big Croshere fan, but lets be real here.

No matter how you break his salary down he was still immensely overpaid.

So I do now think anybody was "wrong" or "owed anyone a apology".

Of course we would all love Hoopshype to be right, but honestly I had never heard of a pro athelete (esp. NBA) having a set salary every year.

I can kind of understand his logic (or maybe his agents?) but most guys like the thought of their salary rising each season. I know I do, but I have never been in a long term contract situation, so maybe there is some kind of benefit to doing it the way he did.

Of course your point is taken. We should not taken that salary page for granted, which I agree far to many people do infact do that

I need to find the figures, but reports were that post-option he was making HALF the amount of money that Hoopshype said he was making.

That would put him at par with other veteran bigs.

Robobtowncolt
01-26-2007, 10:52 AM
I need to find the figures, but reports were that post-option he was making HALF the amount of money that Hoopshype said he was making.

That would put him at par with other veteran bigs.

Well all thought he was making 9, it came out that he was making a little over 7. It was nowhere near half.

Los Angeles
01-26-2007, 10:54 AM
I thought Hoopshype had reported 12.

Anyway, it's all water under the bridge.

Jermaniac
01-26-2007, 10:55 AM
I thought Hoopshype had reported 12.

Anyway, it all water under the bridge.No it didnt. It was always around 8-9 million right now its like 7.5 mil.

Los Angeles
01-26-2007, 10:56 AM
OK.

Fool
01-26-2007, 10:57 AM
http://www.storytellerscontracts.info/resources/06-07salaries.htm

The storytellers site is also pretty accurate and they add the "Signed using" catagory which often helps with things like "I thought we used all of our MLE on Player X." I use it and Patricia's the most often, didn't know about SI's until just now.

Robobtowncolt
01-26-2007, 10:59 AM
OK.

OK?

Los Angeles
01-26-2007, 11:00 AM
OK?

http://www.speakingroses.com/CEImages/Product/185x185/185-SP-012-100-I'm-Sorry.jpg