PDA

View Full Version : Casey out, Wittman in as Head Coach for T-Wolves

Frank Slade
01-23-2007, 08:24 PM
Timberwolves fire coach Casey, install Wittman

January 23, 2007
PORTLAND, OREGON (TICKER) -- Minnesota Timberwolves coach Dwane Casey, whose team endured a handful of peaks and valleys this season, was fired Tuesday.

Casey was replaced by assistant Randy Wittman after less than 1 1/2 seasons in his first NBA head coaching job. He had a 53-69 record.

The Timberwolves (20-20) have been inconsistent this season with eight winning and losing streaks of at least three games. They have lost four in a row following a three-game winning streak.

"We started the season with certain goals and expectations that have not been met," Timberwolves vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale said. "We've struggled with being consistent throughout the year and ultimately that's the head coach's responsibility."

Since reaching the 2004 Western Conference finals, the Wolves have not made the playoffs and twice have changed coaches in mid-season. They fired long-time coach Flip Saunders during the 2004-05 campaign.

Built around superstar forward Kevin Garnett - who has been the subject of trade rumors during the last two years - the Wolves have a mix of veterans and rookies who have been inconsistent this season.

McHale is hoping that Wittman, who has previous head coaching experience, can provide the spark the Wolves need. Minnesota is clinging to the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.

"We believe that Randy Wittman will provide our team with a different voice to get us jump-started and going in the right direction," McHale said. "Randy is a known quantity who has a great amount of experience in the NBA."

Wittman played 543 games before working as an assistant with Indiana (1992-93), Dallas (1993-94) and Minnesota (1994-99).

In 1999, Wittman became coach of the Cleveland Cavaliers and went 62-102 in two seasons. He returned to the Timberwolves after being fired by the Cavaliers and spent four seasons as an assistant with Minnesota before spending last season as an assistant with Orlando.

Wittman's first game will be Wednesday at the Trail Blazers as the Timberwolves continue a five-game road trip. After home losses last week to Atlanta and Detroit, Minnesota has been routed at Phoenix (131-102) and Utah (106-91).

Updated on Tuesday, Jan 23, 2007 7:16 pm EST

Yahoo (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=timberwolvescasey&prov=st&type=lgns)

Unclebuck
01-23-2007, 08:55 PM
I really thought Casey would be an excellent head coach -

spreedom
01-23-2007, 08:57 PM
What a stupid firing.. I'm not a Wolves fan at all.. or a Casey fan for that matter.. but the team is clearly overachieving right now and I really think that replacing the head coach on a team full of headaches is a mistake. An interim (see: lame duck! quack quack!) coach is just going to let the inmates rule the asylum. I predict a Garnett trade demand by the end of the season.

Shade
01-23-2007, 09:10 PM
If anyone should be fired, it's McHale. What do you expect when you surround your superstar with a bunch of scrubs, Kevin?

Anthem
01-23-2007, 09:44 PM
Agree. Not sure how much more Casey could have done for them.

Get the man more talent!

Skaut_Ech
01-23-2007, 10:07 PM
If anyone should be fired, it's McHale. What do you expect when you surround your superstar with a bunch of scrubs, Kevin?

QFT!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Wolves are the worst run organization in the league by far. And KG is the dumbest player in the league for staying there and wasting a great career as they surround him with scrubs year after year and grind his body down making him do all the heavy lifting. What a pathetic organization. Talk about aspiring to mediocrity. They're gonna ride tKG's star appeal for all it's worth, then hope lightning strikes, rather than make some shrewd moves. Man, I hate that organization.

Cactus Jax
01-23-2007, 10:48 PM
Ive been watching T-Wolves games with my brother and he HATED Casey and his odd substitution patterns. Foye would play 35 minutes but never start for some odd reason, and Blount would be shooting 10/12 in the 3rd quarter and doesn't come back until a couple minutes left in the 4th. KG seemed to be on the bench longer in the 4th in a close game, where he would stay in if they had a 10-15 point lead.

It was very odd, and something that's the polar opposite of Carlisle at times. His end of game plays were ****-poor as well, as most of the time KG never even was considered in the play, instead going with Foye or Ricky Davis.

Young
01-23-2007, 10:53 PM
Wow. Regardless of his substitution pattersn when you are winning you are winning.

Wittman hasn't done much as a head coach. I can't see how he is an upgrade.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
01-23-2007, 11:57 PM
Wow, just wow.

Its funny the other day I was a bit surprised when I was checking the standings and noticed that Minnesota is actually in the playoffs right now. Granted they would be the 8th seed, but thats pretty damn good considering the worthless roster they have and they are playing in the western conference.

They just really dont like winning in Minnesota I guess.

slyder
01-24-2007, 12:44 AM
this just in...casey to be picked up as spokesman for FedEx.

ChicagoJ
01-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Congrats to Randy... but he should be coaching in Bloomington.

At least this time he doesn't have to deal with an overweight, lazy Shawn Kemp.

ALF68
01-26-2007, 04:49 PM
Congrats to Randy... but he should be coaching in Bloomington.

At least this time he doesn't have to deal with an overweight, lazy Shawn Kemp.

Yep, Randy should be coaching in Bloomingtion, it is a shame that they didn't even give him a look.