PDA

View Full Version : Ron Artest possibly on the Olympic Team?

Cactus Jax
05-11-2004, 10:00 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpNWZic251BF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN0 aA--?slug=ap-usolympicteam&prov=ap&type=lgns

If Bibby withdraws, Sam Cassell is the leading candidate to replace him, and Ron Artest and Carmelo Anthony are among the names being discussed to replace McGrady, if he backs out.

This would be awesome if it were to happen, but I would count on Melo being on the team, for ratings, and for Ron's "bad boy" attitude. :unimpressed:

sweabs
05-11-2004, 11:10 PM
I dunno - I just hope he doesn't wear himself out if he were to do this (like Jermaine, T-Mac, Vince complained of)...but if anyone can handle it it's Ronnie!

Hicks
05-11-2004, 11:31 PM
I don't think it's possible for Ron to wear down, next to actually getting hurt during those games. Besides, he just practices in the gym all summer anyway.

TheSauceMaster
05-11-2004, 11:34 PM
Most of them play in summer leagues anyways to keep in shape and I am sure they still workout pretty regular

clownskull
05-12-2004, 04:10 AM
i am a big fan of artest. however, i have absolutely no desire to see him play in athens. even if you forget about the security concerns, i don't want him out there because of what happend a few summers ago in indy. reggie got hurt really bad- pretty much ruined his following season and i believe jermaine twisted his knee pretty bad too. i would much rather see some other team's players take the risk.
i still think we win if ron does not play in the olympics. i think it is too risky for us to put our best players in the way of the needless injury.
i hope jermaine puts this international summer ball to rest after this year. this will be the 3rd straight summer he's done this and he could probably use the rest.
from a pride standpoint i would like to see ron play but, i don't need to see him play in the olympics to know he is a hell of a player.
stay home ron.

efx
05-12-2004, 11:12 AM
When I saw the topic title I immediately thought of how us poor euros would feel like playing against his defense. Must be something they've never seen before..

we can still shoot though ;)

indygeezer
05-12-2004, 11:28 AM
When I saw the topic title I immediately thought of how us poor euros would feel like playing against his defense. Must be something they've never seen before..

It's not the Euro's shooting I'm worried about.

I cannot imagine the security risk this poses for these guys. Can you imagine a sweeter target than 10-15 multi-bazillionaire Americans all in one spot? They are already talking of staying on a yacht out in the Med for security....anybody remember the Achille Laura incident (ok my spelling is lousy). I don't advocate running from terrorists or molly coddling them (hey I'm the gun-toting redneck remember?) But I don't wave flags in front of bulls either. I guess I'd just as soon they stayed home.

efx
05-12-2004, 12:56 PM
Considering everything went well with the olympics in salt lake city I'm not too worried. The Olympic commission has had too much experience from **** happening to not let it happen again.

Hoop
05-12-2004, 06:53 PM

It's not the Euro's shooting I'm worried about.

I cannot imagine the security risk this poses for these guys. Can you imagine a sweeter target than 10-15 multi-bazillionaire Americans all in one spot? They are already talking of staying on a yacht out in the Med for security....anybody remember the Achille Laura incident (ok my spelling is lousy). I don't advocate running from terrorists or molly coddling them (hey I'm the gun-toting redneck remember?) But I don't wave flags in front of bulls either. I guess I'd just as soon they stayed home.

I'd love to see both JO and Ron on Team USA, but the threat of terrorism has me a bit worried too.

kerosene
05-13-2004, 12:11 AM
Amare is on:

When it comes to filling out the roster of Team USA for this summer's Olympics, it seemed as if injuries, indifference, potential retirement and a very high-profile sexual assault case would sap the Americans of their status as the world's Dream Team. That was a big concern for a national team looking to restore its reputation after the World Championship debacle in Indianapolis two years ago.

When even Elton Brand -- who was considered a loyal soldier after his performance in Indianapolis, and a player certain to accept a spot on the team -- rejected USA Basketball, brows were furrowed and eyebrows raised. But, from some perspectives, the most surprising thing about Brand's rejection of Team USA was that Brand was asked ahead of an obvious young candidate: Suns forward Amare Stoudemire.

Wednesday evening, a source says Stoudemire, 21, got the call from Team USA. He will accept and join the ever-changing national roster in Athens this summer.

Stoudemire probably is a better choice for the team than Brand, because he is one of the most athletic big men in the game, and it's athleticism that separates Team USA from the rest of the world. When the U.S. got drubbed in the world championships, it employed a particularly slow, unathletic team (Antonio Davis? Ben Wallace? Michael Finley? Reggie Miller?) that operated best in half-court, one-on-one sets. Stoudemire gives the team the kind of strong, versatile big man that other national teams can't match.

Stoudemire, the rookie of the year in 2002-03, will play despite suffering injuries to his toe and ankle this season. Those injuries limited him to 55 games after playing a full season last year. He still managed improvements in nearly every statistical category this season, including a jump from 13.5 points per game to 20.6. He also averaged 9.0 rebounds and 1.4 assists.

http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=2396736