PDA

View Full Version : Should Tex Winter be in the hall of fame?

Kstat
01-22-2007, 02:54 PM
It's an interesting topic, because Winter's fame has come as an assistant coach. But consider this:

-The Man has been coaching for 60+ years. Nobody else has ever coached that long.

-He modified the triangle offense and brought it to the NBA. Without that, Phil Jackson doesn't have 9 rings.

-He's widely recognized as one of the most innovative basketball minds in history.

Here's Tex's resume:

-Assistant coach on Kansas State U. 1947-1951

-Head coach of Marquette U. 1951-1953

-Head coach of Kansas State U. 1954-1968

-Head coach of Washington U. 1969-1971

-Head coach of the Houston Rockets 1971-1973

-Head coach of Northwestern U. 1973-1978

-Head coach of Long Beach State U. 1978-1983

-Assistant coach on the Chicago Bulls 1985-1998

-Assistant coach on the LA Lakers 1999-present

Fool
01-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Listening to Jim Rome were we?

Kstat
01-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Nothing else to listen to at 2pm on a monday.

beast23
01-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Interesting question, Kstat.

Would I put him into the hall of fame? Most definitely.

Will he get into the HOF? Because his relevant contribution came as an assistant coach, I just don't see how the powers that be would every nominate him, let alone vote him in.

AesopRockOn
01-22-2007, 04:52 PM
Only if Leo Mazzone gets into the baseball HOF. Winter only did anything as an assistant, particularly to Phil and the Bulls. He is really seasoned; looks his age (85?).

Dr. Goldfoot
01-22-2007, 05:00 PM
Jackson wouldn't have his rings if it weren't for Jordan,Pippen, Bryant and Shaq. They could've run any system they wanted to and won rings with those guys.

Kstat
01-22-2007, 05:13 PM
Jackson wouldn't have his rings if it weren't for Jordan,Pippen, Bryant and Shaq. They could've run any system they wanted to and won rings with those guys.

Anybody who saw the bulls run the triangle offense knows how untrue that comment is.

They might have won rings, but not nearly as many. They were alreayd great players, but that offense is what made them winners.

Jermaniac
01-22-2007, 07:06 PM
How come he never became a head coach in the NBA after his short time with the Rockets? He didnt want to do it?

Kstat
01-22-2007, 07:11 PM
I think Tex didn't like handling big NBA egos. He just wants to deal with the X's and O's, and found that much easier to do in college.

Later on, Phil Jackson was the ultimate buffer for him dealing with guys like jordan and shaq.

Tex is right about pretty much everything he says. Seriously. But he has no tact, so his message I think often got lost in translation when he went to Houston. He needed a guy like Phil Jackson to relay his ideas to the players.

Naptown_Seth
01-23-2007, 04:33 AM
I think Tex didn't like handling big NBA egos. He just wants to deal with the X's and O's, and found that much easier to do in college.

Later on, Phil Jackson was the ultimate buffer for him dealing with guys like jordan and shaq.

Tex is right about pretty much everything he says. Seriously. But he has no tact, so his message I think often got lost in translation when he went to Houston. He needed a guy like Phil Jackson to relay his ideas to the players.
I think you are right about this, and I do think he deserves a long hard look for a HOF vote. Big impact on the game, and to me that's what HOF is all about.

naptown
01-23-2007, 05:30 AM
I personally think it is a no brainer. The guy belongs.

denyfizle
01-23-2007, 10:39 AM
wurd^

Moses
01-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Definitely deserves a spot in the HOF. When you look at HOF candidates, you have to consider how good they were, and how long they were good at it. Winter was very good for a very long time. The only knock on him is that he was an assistant coach rather then a HC in the NBA..but I also feel that he didn't want to be a HC because he didn't want to deal with the players attitudes and egos. At the same time though, that's what makes coaching in the NBA so difficult...dealing with all the premadonnas we have.