PDA

View Full Version : Is the new "Uptempo" Offense Project Offcially Dead?

brich
01-21-2007, 12:25 AM
In my opinion we started off the season planning to be a more uptempo offense with more athlectic players. In the process of that, some players fared better, but our cornerstone, JO, did not. Our early experimental uptempo offense resulted in quite a few turnovers, and we sort of reverted to a more half-court controlled game once again. This was echoed by most if not all of the players who left the team.

Next, we traded players, many who would probably play better in an uptempo offense, and we brought in a crew more fitted to a stereotypical East Coast version of the game. I don't see how the new pieces are going to make us better as a run and gun team, but that's just my two cents.

What do the rest of you think?

Anthem
01-21-2007, 12:34 AM
Jermaine has said he likes uptempo. He can get plenty of points in transition, and works best when he makes quick moves.

I hate to speak ill of the dearly departed, but Jack and Al were the two worst guys in transition. Al has botched at least three Warriors fastbreaks tonight.

I think our chances of an uptempo offense just got better.

Unclebuck
01-21-2007, 12:35 AM
I think the players they got, Dun and Murph fit better with JO. Seems to me that trhe Pacers have decided to build more around JO.

Tonight the pacers had 14 fast break points the Knicks zero.

Dun can run and Murph can rebound so I don't see the pacers running any less overall

vapacersfan
01-21-2007, 12:38 AM
This team can still run fast breaks, it just wont be the number one "option"

I dont think they ever wanted to turn us into the Suns, TPTB just want to have the option, should it present itself, to run a fast break.

As Anthem said, the previous squad we had was not very good at converting the oppurtunities they had.

To answer your question I guess we will have to wait and see. If JO is able to get some blocks (or steals) or teammates can create turnovers I think this team is still capable of running

Naptown_Seth
01-21-2007, 02:04 AM
Jermaine has said he likes uptempo. He can get plenty of points in transition, and works best when he makes quick moves.

I hate to speak ill of the dearly departed, but Jack and Al were the two worst guys in transition. Al has botched at least three Warriors fastbreaks tonight.

I think our chances of an uptempo offense just got better.
I agree. Plus I've said all along that up-tempo is not the same as running.

Fast breaks are fine if you can do them (they couldn't, still not sold on Tins running breaks, lost the best guy when Saras left), but early offense is the way to keep up the pace without being a Showtime breakaway team.

Get some guys into the frontcourt with the ball, get someone in position like the high or low post, or setting up the quick PnR and get at the defense before their matchups are set right and before the help defense can be figured out.

This team can still do it, especially guys like Quis and Williams. I think Dun can too as long as he doesn't force his shots. But then you run into Tinsley taking over and using too many possessions on his own iso take (or PnR which is nearly an iso).

Remember that my point has always been that it wasn't STARTING the running that was the problem, it was the FINISHING, as in space it right to get a strong layup or dunk rather than a fumbling, defended half-chuck miss.

Jack being gone helps that, but does Mike really improve it over Al or Jack? Maybe, but I'm not sold yet.