PDA

View Full Version : Worst Defense I've seen the Pacers Play this Year

DisplacedKnick
01-24-2004, 11:52 PM
I haven't seen this many open shots against the Pacers all season. Warmup jumpers all over the place.

The rotations were slow or nonexistent, they didn't fight through picks, the weakside help was atrocious, they sure didn't LOOK like they ever communicated with each other out there.

The offense was fine. JO didn't have a good game but other people like Al picked him up like they have all year.

Pacers have three days off. My guess is that Carlisle will spend two of them reminding the Indy how to play D.

Hicks
01-24-2004, 11:53 PM
Pacers have three days off. My guess is that Carlisle will spend two of them reminding the Indy how to play D.

Boy do I hope so.

Ragnar
01-25-2004, 12:11 AM
I just think the Pacers didnt care about this one. Teams do that from time to time. They tried to mail one in and got burned.

DisplacedKnick
01-25-2004, 12:15 AM
I just think the Pacers didnt care about this one. Teams do that from time to time. They tried to mail one in and got burned.

Looked a lot that way to me too. Carlisle's gonna be seriously PO'd about it - especially coming off a loss. Looked like they tried to turn it on in the 4th but by that time the Wizards were in a zone.

Unclebuck
01-25-2004, 12:30 AM
Pacers defense was not very good tonight, no question.

The key was the Wizards guards were beating their defenders off the dribble again and again, so the pacers big men had to help and that was one big reason why the Wizard's big men were so effective.

Wizards also ran the pick and roll very well and in sveral diferent and odd spots on the floor and it opened things up for their big guys.

But the Wizards played a great game. According to their broadcasters the best game they have played by far this season. Don't take my word for it, take theirs they see the every game

Doug
01-25-2004, 12:58 AM
They look tired. I'm glad the all-star break is coming up pretty soon.

Or, if you want me to take a wild angle at it, I'd blame it all on Foster's finger.

You all have heard me say before that Foster is the key - when he hustles, everybody picks it up a notch. The defensive rotations are fast and correct. And it carries over to the offense as well. The passes move smoother, people get in a rythym, etc. Ever since he hurt his finger, he's been a bit off. It bothers him much more than has been reported, I think. I think enough to take a slight edge off of his hustle. It seems we've run out of gas a bit since then. Add Ron's injury which does the same to him - and he's somebody we feed off as well - and that equals a team "funk".

But for whatever reason, they look tired. Or as my wife put it "out of sync".

It'll be short-lived, I think. Happens to all teams more than once during a season.

Cactus Jax
01-25-2004, 01:55 AM
They look tired. I'm glad the all-star break is coming up pretty soon.

Or, if you want me to take a wild angle at it, I'd blame it all on Foster's finger.

You all have heard me say before that Foster is the key - when he hustles, everybody picks it up a notch. The defensive rotations are fast and correct. And it carries over to the offense as well. The passes move smoother, people get in a rythym, etc. Ever since he hurt his finger, he's been a bit off. It bothers him much more than has been reported, I think. I think enough to take a slight edge off of his hustle. It seems we've run out of gas a bit since then. Add Ron's injury which does the same to him - and he's somebody we feed off as well - and that equals a team "funk".

But for whatever reason, they look tired. Or as my wife put it "out of sync".

It'll be short-lived, I think. Happens to all teams more than once during a season.

Foster seemed fine to me, I thought he was the best player on the floor. He just only got 24 minutes for some reason, when the Artest, Harrington, O'Neal front-line was horrible defensively against the pick-and-roll.

ChicagoJ
01-25-2004, 02:04 AM
This is the first time in a few weeks that our backcourt has been outplayed. Reg and Tinsley got torched at both ends of the court.

Cactus Jax
01-25-2004, 02:25 AM
This is the first time in a few weeks that our backcourt has been outplayed. Reg and Tinsley got torched at both ends of the court.

I disagree, and say every game since the home game vs San Antonio, that the backcourt has been outplayed, besides the Detroit game. In the New Jersey game, Kidd played very well in the 1st half and is always Kidd, Terry and Jackson torched the Pacers on Monday, the Pistons guards sucked badly, Francis torched everybody, and Knight, Blake, and Hughes were absolutely dominant.

ChicagoJ
01-25-2004, 02:49 AM

I disagree, and say every game since the home game vs San Antonio, that the backcourt has been outplayed, besides the Detroit game. In the New Jersey game, Kidd played very well in the 1st half and is always Kidd, Terry and Jackson torched the Pacers on Monday, the Pistons guards sucked badly, Francis torched everybody, and Knight, Blake, and Hughes were absolutely dominant.

You may be right. This is the first time I noticed it, however.

Tim
01-25-2004, 11:49 AM
I think it was just time for some losses.

Mentally wore out, perhaps they are still adjusting to being the hunted instead of the hunter.

I don't think we are looking at the start of a second half collapes yet since this season we don't have the injuries and family deaths.

Suaveness
01-25-2004, 12:50 PM
Mental lose should have been Houston. Washington is inexcusable. That is a terrible team. Even if they played their best game all year, we still should beat them. Pathetic.

Hicks
01-25-2004, 01:14 PM
Even if they played their best game all year, we still should beat them. Pathetic.

This is the NBA. There are no truly terrible teams. Even Atlanta has the talent to beat anybody if they play their best basketball. Don't be delusional.

It was a bad loss, but keep it in perspective.

Unclebuck
01-25-2004, 02:09 PM
I am not that concerned, I have the utmost condifence that Carlisle will get the team back on track.

Pacers played some very emotional games the past two weeks, games that take a lot out of a team. Games that a team wins still take a lot of of a team: games like

at Dallas
at Spurs
H -Spurs
at - NJ
H- Pistons

Those are tough games and Pacers won 4 of those and really had the game at S.A wrapped up. Pacers are a little mentally drained, they play so damn hard that a little letdown is going to happen

ROCislandWarrior
01-25-2004, 04:10 PM
Perhaps most importantly... we are missing the play of our second best player....Artest has been...SUBpar....

Suaveness
01-25-2004, 06:12 PM
Perhaps most importantly... we are missing the play of our second best player....Artest has been...SUBpar....

I think that is important to remember. Hopefully time off will give him a chance to recuperate. We need him to perform to do well. What really made me upset in the Rockets game was the fact that Artest was hurt, yet they kept going to him time after time. He was NOT shooting well, and it made no sense to me why they kept giving him the ball.