PDA

View Full Version : Every player should be at least a 70% free throw shooter.

Stryder
05-11-2004, 10:04 AM
Every player in the NBA should be at least a 70% free throw shooter. Period.

Any thoughts?

Hell, I was away from the game for 9 months due to a knee injury. Yesterday, I sunk 97 of 100 free throws.

sweabs
05-11-2004, 10:07 AM
Hell, I was away from the game for 9 months due to a knee injury. Yesterday, I sunk 97 of 100 free throws.

For real???

Stryder
05-11-2004, 10:09 AM

For real???

Yes, for real.

I've always been a shooter, so, I guess, I just don't understand why some cannot hit an open shot...lol....

sweabs
05-11-2004, 10:11 AM
Well hitting your free throws out on your drive way where you are comfortable playing is a lot different from hitting them in a loud atmosphere with thousands of distractions in your vision...but these guys are professionals so I don't cut 'em too much slack ;) .

ABADays
05-11-2004, 10:18 AM
I never, never, never understood how professional basketball players could be such awful free throw shooters. I would say practicing could make such a difference - but then, Shaq dispells that theory.

ChicagoJ
05-11-2004, 11:12 AM
I never, never, never understood how professional basketball players could be such awful free throw shooters. I would say practicing could make such a difference - but then, Shaq dispells that theory.

Yeah, but look at Shaq's mechanics... he may practice a lot, but he's practicing with bad form.

To re-state Rex Chapman's comments in the context of this thread... if JO were practicing enough free-throws (several hundred per day) then his technique would be conistent. As Rex illustrated last night, JO isn't very fluid right now at the line, and his mechanics are slighly different each time. He's not shooting "from routine." One of the keys to hitting FTs in clutch situations is that you've shot a gazillion in the driveway and once the official hands you the ball you go onto autopilot. Either consciously or subconsiously, JO's lack of confidence with his shot was obvious in the first half, although he obvioulsy was more comfortable with it in the second half.

97 out of 100, Stryder? Impressive. Dr. Farr must've done more than just fix the knee. Just kidding. :D

But seriously, if Stryder has time to shoot 100 FTs then I'd expect the pros to practice 300 to 500 FTs per day. If I were "coach for a day" no NBA player could shoot a single commericial or play X-Box until after they've shot thier five hundred FTs.

Stryder
05-11-2004, 11:25 AM

Yeah, but look at Shaq's mechanics... he may practice a lot, but he's practicing with bad form.

To re-state Rex Chapman's comments in the context of this thread... if JO were practicing enough free-throws (several hundred per day) then his technique would be conistent. As Rex illustrated last night, JO isn't very fluid right now at the line, and his mechanics are slighly different each time. He's not shooting "from routine." One of the keys to hitting FTs in clutch situations is that you've shot a gazillion in the driveway and once the official hands you the ball you go onto autopilot. Either consciously or subconsiously, JO's lack of confidence with his shot was obvious in the first half, although he obvioulsy was more comfortable with it in the second half.

97 out of 100, Stryder? Impressive. Dr. Farr must've done more than just fix the knee. Just kidding. :D

But seriously, if Stryder has time to shoot 100 FTs then I'd expect the pros to practice 300 to 500 FTs per day. If I were "coach for a day" no NBA player could shoot a single commericial or play X-Box until after they've shot thier five hundred FTs.

I agree with everything you've said here.

It's not that bad free throw shooters do not practice. These shooters practice with bad mechanics.

And yeah, lol, if I have time to shoot 100 ft's, then I'd expect professionals to shoot at least five times that in a normal day.

Harddrive7
05-11-2004, 11:29 AM
[quote]

Isn't this something that Bird use to make all the players do when he was the coach? Especially when they shot a bad percentage?

indygeezer
05-11-2004, 11:40 AM
I've told this story beofre but you've been so good I'll let you hear it again. :)

This year was Geezerette's 1st year of CYO ball. She's pretty weak and definately no threat offensively but isn't afraid to go toe-to-toe with anybody on defense. Last game of the season (she had not scored a point all year!) 4th quarter she heaves up a desperation fling with three people draped all over her arms. The ball didn't get 3 feet off the ground but she got fouled on the shot. She stepped to the line ans swished her two FT's never touching the rim! :dance: :pepper: We went nuts for her! Afterwards, I asked her about being nervous and her reply was..."Dad...that's why you practice them, besides there's nobody gaurding you. Anybody oughta be able to hit a FREETHROW!"

Outta the mouth's of babe's.

Stryder
05-11-2004, 11:51 AM
I made this thread before I read any of the boxscores. Damn! The P's have shot 61 and 64 percent on free throws the past two games. That is HORRIBLE!

indygeezer
05-11-2004, 11:56 AM
I made this thread before I read any of the boxscores. Damn! The P's have shot 61 and 64 percent on free throws the past two games. That is HORRIBLE!

That is lack of concentration. Not focusing on the task at hand.

dipperdunk
05-11-2004, 12:32 PM
I think the problem is that alot of guys in the NBA aren't natural basketball players but they made it to the league because of their extreme size/athleticism. A perfect example is Sam Dalembert for the 76ers he played soccer in Haiti pretty much his whole life then Seton Hall recruited him and he was selected at 19 years old by Larry Brown even though he had almost no basketball "skills". He probably couldn't hit 4 out of 10 free throws when the 76ers drafted him. So why did they draft him? Easy because he is 7' tall runs like a deer and can jump out of the building. Sam isn't alone the league is full of these types of players. Darius Miles, Kwame Brown, Chandler etc.,,

Scouts no longer draft the slow deadeye shooters like they used to because they fear they won't be able to compete against the terrific athletes. Thats why players like Kyle Korver fall so far in drafts. This year Jameer Nelson will probably fall even though his has terrific basketball skills because the scouts fear his speed and size and they want the Darius Miles type of player. They want the guy who is going to play above the rim even if he shoots 60% from the line they would rather have the great athlete who can develop his game over time. The problem is some of those guys never develop because they get the big $$ and don't work on their games so your stuck with a league riddled with 60% free throw shooters that are great athletes. Thats a huge reason shooting percentages have dropped so much over the years. They used to draft shooters and great skilled players now they tend to draft great athletes and they hope they can teach them to shoot and become great players.

kerosene
05-11-2004, 03:55 PM
I completely agree, anything less than 70% by a professional basketball player is awful.