PDA

View Full Version : Firing RC..

dohman
01-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Lets talk about this. I see alot of people posting comment and saying harsh words about him. What is it about him that makes the majority of you hate him so much. He is a proven coach. When is the last time he had a losing season? Even with all of our stars out we still kept above 500% under his coaching.

Sure he dictates the plays that they run out there. I sure as hell would not trust JT or Sara's to run the offense to the point where I gave them control.

He plays slowdown basketball. I know this is not greatest thing for alot of you to watch. Its not the new run and gun fad. Its not what your And 1 players and stat whores want to play. But it is consistant basketball when it is played right. When you have 5 to 8 players that acutally buy into his system the results are proven. 50 to 60 wins.

What happens is the world of basketball today is filled wtih player's that care more about themself, then a actual team. They care about how many touches they are going to get. They care about how many points they are going to score. Instead of how many the team scores. Wouldnt it really make more sense to care about your FG% and how many rebounds or how many steals you can get a game?

I am sure I am one of the only RC supporters out there. I just want to know what everyone has against him. Please keep this serious.

BlueNGold
01-19-2007, 11:04 PM
I agree with your statements about selfishness of most of the players being shown the door. I have been celebrating Jack's departure for a few days now...just like when Artest vanished.

However, RC does have some problems of his own.

How do I put this nicely? RC may be defined as follows:

1) Perfectionist

- this is one of the reasons why he has a head coaching job in the NBA. Clearly a talented guy with a brilliant mind for the X's and O's. He is always talking about being precise...and the players say the same thing about him....but they clearly don't like the precision. I bet he's a picky eater too.

2) Control

- this is closely linked to #1. He has to call the plays to ensure the activity on the court matches what he believes is perfect. However, the players don't like playing like robots. They feel they are puppets out there rather than basketball players.

3) Personality

- He could get away with #1 and #2 if he had some personality. Actually #1, #2 and #3 are all tied together into the RC persona. There are many brilliant, successful people like RC in business. Unfortunately, they all have poor people skills and are disliked by the underlings.

Truthfully, there is a clash of cultures here. The Pacers made the trades with the object of getting players RC can coach, and apparently players that would compliment JO. The fact we got Ike may have been insurance (for a post player) in case JO had to be traded. I think the Pacers are not done moving players, but they are getting closer and hedging their bets.

pwee31
01-19-2007, 11:37 PM
All in all I don't think RC is a bad coach, he just needs to loosen up a little on offensive play calling. He runs good sets, but sometimes he calls a play, when it might be better to just push it.

Young
01-20-2007, 01:26 AM
Rick is a top 5 coach in this league easily. You have Phil, Pop, Riley, Avery, and Rick although you can argue that Mike D'Antoni is better I guess.

To me, my concern is not about Rick's coaching style. Sure I would love to see an up tempo team coached by a guy like say Rick Aldeman and play the Princeton offense but the way that this team plays may not be a bad thing. The big thing is moving without the ball. Rick has to get the guys to do a better job of that and this should improve with the trade alone.

The big concern with Rick is how players get along with him. That's one of the reasons he didn't last in Detroit and that is something that is a problem here I think atleast although it's not completely Rick's fault. Only if your players don't get along with your head coach, you just can't have that. No one wants to work with someone they don't like. It's easier said than done.

My concern is the assistant coaches. We don't exactly have a defenseive minded coach on the roster. That's what I think we need more than anything.

Kestas
01-20-2007, 07:13 AM
Lets talk about this.

I think it's too late. the trade showed that RC is destined to stay. he just got four new players and firing him would make no sense whatsoever, coz the new coach would probably want different guys. before the trade I was for the coach change, but now there's no point.
the only good thing (from my point of view, that is ;)) is that Saras will probably go to a third team from the Warriors (maybe to Cavaliers). trading him with Jax and Harrington was plain disrespectfull ;)
anyways, I migh as well stop caring about the Pacers (but I might not, time will tell). just in case though: it was nice talking to you all.

Hicks
01-20-2007, 01:43 PM
I need to see a Carlisle-coached team have a better offense than we've seen with him here before I fully support him. Too much smoke for my tastes right now regarding his control of the offense.

Bball
01-20-2007, 02:04 PM
I need to see a Carlisle-coached team have a better offense than we've seen with him here before I fully support him. Too much smoke for my tastes right now regarding his control of the offense.

I think you're going to have to wait and see Carlisle coach a team without JO then. This seems to be the only way Carlisle knows how to effectively use JO and keep him happy with his role in the offense.

-Bball

indygeezer
01-20-2007, 02:06 PM
I've stated before, a micromanager never changes, he will ALWAYS micromanage. He needs to go, and if it takes firing Bird to get Carlisle outta here, so be it.

AesopRockOn
01-20-2007, 02:11 PM
Rick is a top 5 coach in this league easily. You have Phil, Pop, Riley, Avery, and Rick although you can argue that Mike D'Antoni is better I guess.

To me, my concern is not about Rick's coaching style. Sure I would love to see an up tempo team coached by a guy like say Rick Aldeman and play the Princeton offense but the way that this team plays may not be a bad thing. The big thing is moving without the ball. Rick has to get the guys to do a better job of that and this should improve with the trade alone.

The big concern with Rick is how players get along with him. That's one of the reasons he didn't last in Detroit and that is something that is a problem here I think atleast although it's not completely Rick's fault. Only if your players don't get along with your head coach, you just can't have that. No one wants to work with someone they don't like. It's easier said than done

My concern is the assistant coaches. We don't exactly have a defenseive minded coach on the roster. That's what I think we need more than anything.

I thought you put him at ten before; I think that is more appropriate.

vapacersfan
01-20-2007, 02:12 PM
There is no doubt Rick has his faults. Hell, he has many of them.

It is plain stupid to get rid of him "just to get rid of him".

If we are going to get rid of him we better get a top 5-7 coach back, because if not it is a downgrade and in 6 months - a year the same people calling for his head will be furious at TPTB for making a move that made the team worse.

hoopsforlife
01-20-2007, 02:15 PM
I've stated before, a micromanager never changes, he will ALWAYS micromanage. He needs to go, and if it takes firing Bird to get Carlisle outta here, so be it.

I agree with you but I want to see what Rick does with these guys for the rest of the season. If he has the same problems, communication, trust (lack thereof) with these guys as the ones who just left, then I'm ready for a change in coaching.

Unfortuately, if this doesn't work, the team may have to be restocked again for the new coach.

I'm glad we have a good nucleus of young players to build around AC. (After Carlisle)

If this current experiment doesn't work out this year its going to elicit big changes from the top down.