PDA

View Full Version : How Will Lineup Look With New Faces? 1.18.07 {Pacers.com}

Frank Slade
01-19-2007, 09:45 AM
How Will Lineup Look With New Faces?

Thursday, Jan. 18, 2007

Q. With two starters involved in the surprising eight-player trade, what will the starting five and sixth man role look like? I could see either (Mike) Dunleavy or (Marquis) Daniels starting at the two, and (Troy) Murphy at the five but Coach (Rick) Carlisle could see it differently. How do you think the new rotation will evolve? (From Jeremy in Indianapolis)

A. It's only guesswork at this point but there are several options. The players acquired from the Warriors are all quite different in terms of skill sets, leading to the varying possibilities.

Dunleavy is a fundamentally sound, intelligent player with a solid all-around offensive game who has played all three perimeter positions. He's a candidate for either the shooting guard or small forward spot or, because of his versatility, could be an ideal sixth man.

It seems likely Dunleavy, Marquis Daniels and Danny Granger will form a three-man rotation at shooting guard and small forward, dividing the bulk of the minutes.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Murphy supplant Foster as the starting center for a couple of reasons. For one, his mid-range shooting ability is a much-needed complement to Jermaine O'Neal. Having a big man that can step out either to the free-throw line or baseline to hit the 15-foot jumper should prove a major boon.

Remember how well O'Neal worked with Brad Miller? Though Foster is a more physical player and better offensive rebounder, Murphy is very good on the defensive glass, which has been a major problem area for the Pacers.

Diogu is the most intriguing player in the deal because at this time last year, the Warriors considered him untouchable and a lot of teams, including the Pacers, were hoping to trade for him. A long-armed 6-8 power forward, Diogu will provide the second unit with a legitimate post presence. I suspect he'll wind up playing starter's minutes off the bench.

McLeod gives Carlisle another option at point guard behind Jamaal Tinsley. A hard-working journeyman, he'll compete with Orien Greene for the primary backup role, with Darrell Armstrong available when the team's fire needs to be sparked.

Pacers.com (http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_070118.html)