PDA

View Full Version : The person helped most by this trade...

Smooth_for_Pres.
01-19-2007, 05:41 AM
...is Danny Granger.

There is certainly a possibility that RC will keep him coming off the bench but as you survey our current roster, he's the natural selection as a second scorer. He certainly made his case in tonights game.

No matter how this all plays out...additional trades, starting lineups, wether or not Murphy and Dunleavey become studs in a new uniform... I think this trade happened with Danny in mind, as well as JO.

McKeyFan
01-19-2007, 07:03 AM
Good insight.

I hadn't really thought about Granger as our number two option. Or even number three. He's proven he's got the shot, but I'm not sure he has the moves.

Charcoal Filtered
01-19-2007, 08:10 AM
Um, thinking Marquis may disagree.

Smooth_for_Pres.
01-19-2007, 08:14 AM
Um, thinking Marquis may disagree.

Marquis can disagree until he's blue in the face (go colts) but until he proves he can do it, I'll take DG.

LoneGranger33
01-19-2007, 09:30 AM
...is Rick Carlisle. No more Stephen Jackson to yell at you during timeouts. No more Al Harrington and Sarunas Jasikevicius moaning about playing time and their role on the team. I just hope Jermaine had foreknowledge of (and perhaps even input in) the trade...

rexnom
01-19-2007, 09:39 AM
This is why I kinda want to keep Dunleavy. As crazy as it sounds, I don't think it's always about talent. Sometimes you just have to have pieces that fit. Danny could be helped a lot in the starting lineup by a guy who is a willing role player and good passer as opposed to when he was playing with two guys who wanted to chuck up shots.

He was amazingly aggressive last night. Hopefully we'll see more of that coming up.

storm1015
01-19-2007, 09:57 AM
This could be true. Last night was a good indication of an increased role offensively.

DG was already a gunner, even with Al and Jax around. That was part of the problem. DG did not have the distribution skills that I originally thought. He is very good on offense, he just needs help. Dunleavy and Marquis will really fill this role and let DG do what he does best: score.

Smooth_for_Pres.
01-19-2007, 03:34 PM
This is why I kinda want to keep Dunleavy. As crazy as it sounds, I don't think it's always about talent. Sometimes you just have to have pieces that fit. Danny could be helped a lot in the starting lineup by a guy who is a willing role player and good passer as opposed to when he was playing with two guys who wanted to chuck up shots.

He was amazingly aggressive last night. Hopefully we'll see more of that coming up.

I agree. At this point, Dunleavey has shown that he has real value as a sixth man. He can bring in good basketball knowledge and an understanding of what part he should play. A long shot that can split defense and a good assist eye/playmaking ability that a second string guys like Baston, Diogu, Williams(hopefully), and Marshall can really benfit from.
It's time for Danny to be let loose as a much more important part of this offense. I understand his importance as a sixth man and that he's probably not as developed physically and atheleticly as he should be but did anyone see the look in his eyes last night? The guy was becoming 'Danger' Granger. He looked like a killer. His game has improved exponentially (3pt%) and he's got the maturity to be a second scorer unlike the baby we sent west.
He has risen to the top through some tough times in Indiana. He is the epitomy of what this club is supposed to stand for both on and off the court. It's time he was rewarded.

rexnom
01-19-2007, 03:51 PM
I agree. At this point, Dunleavey has shown that he has real value as a sixth man. He can bring in good basketball knowledge and an understanding of what part he should play. A long shot that can split defense and a good assist eye/playmaking ability that a second string guys like Baston, Diogu, Williams(hopefully), and Marshall can really benfit from.
It's time for Danny to be let loose as a much more important part of this offense. I understand his importance as a sixth man and that he's probably not as developed physically and atheleticly as he should be but did anyone see the look in his eyes last night? The guy was becoming 'Danger' Granger. He looked like a killer. His game has improved exponentially (3pt%) and he's got the maturity to be a second scorer unlike the baby we sent west.
He has risen to the top through some tough times in Indiana. He is the epitomy of what this club is supposed to stand for both on and off the court. It's time he was rewarded.
I think Dunleavy should start with Granger, actually. I think Marquis can be bigger a scoring punch off the bench than Dunleavy. Also, if Dunleavy is as good of an entry passer as we've heard, him playing as much as possible with JO will be crucial. There were lots of careless passes last night.

Smooth_for_Pres.
01-19-2007, 04:23 PM
I think Dunleavy should start with Granger, actually. I think Marquis can be bigger a scoring punch off the bench than Dunleavy. Also, if Dunleavy is as good of an entry passer as we've heard, him playing as much as possible with JO will be crucial. There were lots of careless passes last night.

I'd like to see MD start at the two for a few different reasons:

1 We need to know if he can do everything that TPTB have told us he can do. I've been upset with his production at this point but in all fairness, he's only averaging 16 minutes per game. Having said that, I think he should be putting up better numbers in that time.
2 Dunleavey off the bench could still share just as many minutes with MD. Kind of like the Addai/Rhodes combo for the Colts. Of course, Addai rose to the top and that could be another good reason to do the tandem at SG. Carlisle supposedly doesn't like to make teammates compete for spots but if one guy is playing better than another...?
3 Marquis pairs a good lane penetrator with a PG that is reluctant to drive straight at the defense. Tinsley used to be better at this but it seems like this year he spins back when confronted with two or three guys down low. I like the way Marquis can get to the basket. I would also like it if he could finish his shot when he gets there but again, I want to see him put to the test.
4 Marquis also gives us a guy who can take the point (depending on the play) better than Dunleavey. It seems Dunleavey ability to pass doesn't come so much off the dribble but when he's standing and seeing the court. It takes a little pressure off of Tinsley even though we all know that Tinsley doesn't mind having the ball and give us more flexibility in the backcourt.

Plus, he's the only real 2 we've got right now.
Which doesn't make me happy but I'm willing to give him the chance.

Smooth_for_Pres.
01-19-2007, 06:02 PM
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070119/SPORTS04/701190439

this says it better than I can...