PDA

View Full Version : Who will start along side JO?

Mr. Sobchak
01-18-2007, 06:14 PM
I can see Murphy being a poor man's Brad Miller who can hit the open jumper and spread the floor for JO to operate on the low block. He's not as athletic as Brad or as good a passer but he provides rebounding and could possibly screen better than Foster. I could also see Diogu making it possible for us to do a smaller lineup of Danny-Ike-JO due to his rebounding and strength. I don't know who will start next to JO- maybe Jeff? :confused:

tadscout
01-18-2007, 06:21 PM
I can see Murphy being a poor man's Brad Miller who can hit the open jumper and spread the floor for JO to operate on the low block. He's not as athletic as Brad or as good a passer but he provides rebounding and could possibly screen better than Foster. I could also see Diagou making it possible for us to do a smaller lineup of Danny-Ike-JO due to his rebounding and strength. I don't know who will start next to JO- maybe Jeff? :confused:

Question of the Day to Conrad Brunner-
How Will Lineup Look With New Faces? (http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_070118.html)

Unclebuck
01-18-2007, 08:03 PM
I'm willing to take a look at anything.

Maybe Troy and JO would be better and then Ike and Jeff might be better. I don't know we need to see how things go

ChicagoPacer
01-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Diogu at this point is still very much a 15mpg work in progress.

Frountcourt: O'Neal-Murphy-Granger
Backcourt: Daniels-Tinsley

I'd give Diogu 7-8 minutes a night playing alongside Foster and O'Neal each. We need to figure out which role for him suits us best:

-Interior scorer to compensate for Foster
-Second option to O'Neal, which would free him up for better shots. He'd also have a better defensive presence compensate for his lack of size.

Shack80
01-18-2007, 08:51 PM
It is lookin glike the big loser in this trade is probably Harrison.

Anthem
01-18-2007, 10:28 PM
It is lookin glike the big loser in this trade is probably Harrison.
Agreed.

PostArtestEra
01-18-2007, 10:59 PM
I don't understand why Foster has lost his starting job. Foster is currently third in the NBA in rebounds per 48 minutes. Murphy is fifty-third. Yeah thats right. Jeff is a very good low post defender so that is not the problem. Foster doesn't contribute much offensively but he shoots a higher percentage than Murphy, yeah thats right, and Murphy only averages about 3 or 4 more points a game than Foster. Murphy spreads the floor a bit but he only shoots 37 percent from downtown. Can someone please please explain to me why he should be starting ahead of Foster.

Anthem
01-18-2007, 11:46 PM
I don't understand why Foster has lost his starting job. Foster is currently third in the NBA in rebounds per 48 minutes. Murphy is fifty-third. Yeah thats right. Jeff is a very good low post defender so that is not the problem. Foster doesn't contribute much offensively but he shoots a higher percentage than Murphy, yeah thats right, and Murphy only averages about 3 or 4 more points a game than Foster. Murphy spreads the floor a bit but he only shoots 37 percent from downtown. Can someone please please explain to me why he should be starting ahead of Foster.
Agree that for now, at least, I'd rather bring Murphy off the bench.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
01-18-2007, 11:51 PM

Im one of Foster's biggest fans but I think we need to at least experiment with Murphy and JO starting. It might spread the floor a little bit and make things easier for JO.

Unclebuck
01-18-2007, 11:52 PM
I want to see Murphy's defense before I endorse starting him with JO. He doesn't need to be as good as JJeff is on the defensive end, but he needs to be average at least.

One thing that I haven't seen anyone mention about the trade - is the effect it is going to have on Baston.

Two things are working against him now.

1) Saras is gone - they had great chemistry and worked great together.

2) more importantly with the Pacers adding another big guy (Al leaves but Ike and Murph come in) there aren't going to be any minutes for Baston. Jeff, JO, Murph and Ike will take every power forward and center minute there is. There are only 96 minutes available. JO is going to get 36. That leaves 60 for Ike, Jeff and Murph - that is only 20 minutes a piece.

Of course all this applies to Harrison as well.

Peck, I see you lurking- I'd love to read your thoughts - you used to really like Murphy

Slick Pinkham
01-19-2007, 12:04 AM
I don't understand why Foster has lost his starting job. Foster is currently third in the NBA in rebounds per 48 minutes. Murphy is fifty-third.

way to extrapolate part of one season, which began with an injury, and pretend that it defines the player.

If you want to talk stats, TM has averaged 15/11 and 14/10 in his last 2 full seasons.

I like Jeff and would start him if Troy proves to be a defensive sieve. I don't think that is the case. I also think JO would enjoy not being guarded by Jeff's defender as well as his own almost all the time.

Unclebuck
01-19-2007, 12:08 AM
61% of those who have been watching TNT tonight and sent a text message in think that the Warriors got the better of the deal.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
01-19-2007, 12:19 AM
61% of those who have been watching TNT tonight and sent a text message in think that the Warriors got the better of the deal.

95% of the people who send text messages to tv stations dont know jack about basketball. All they see is the big names: Al Harrington and Stephen Jackson.

Shack80
01-19-2007, 12:31 AM
Watching tonights game, I think we might have the better end of the deal. I was impressed with Quis and Danny, add the GS boys, and I am ok with this team. I think this team can ball, this is not the year, but I feel so much better about my team. And I have hope, that is huge!

Quis
01-19-2007, 12:40 AM
95% of the people who send text messages to tv stations dont know jack about basketball. All they see is the big names: Al Harrington and Stephen Jackson.

I agree completely. People only go by name value and not actual ability. Of course they're gonna think Golden State got the better end of the deal, they've actually heard of Harrington and Jackson because the Pacers actually make the playoffs and are on national TV more than once every 28 years like the Warriors. But just sit back and watch Big Al and Jack fade into obscurity out in Oakland while Dunleavy and Murphy get their first ever big time NBA exposure come playoff time.

As for the topic at hand, I'd go with Murphy at least for now. He's as good a scorer/shooter as Brad Miller and will open up the paint for JO just as well. He's also proven he can be one of the leagues top-10 rebounders, which is a great, great bonus.

I think eventually Ike Diogu will become the starter but that's probably next year at the earliest.

Robertmto
01-19-2007, 12:40 AM
Jo and Ike will play the F/C the most but Foster will prolly start with JO.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
01-19-2007, 12:45 AM
Back to that poll, they were just talking about it on the TNT post game show.

Barkley: "That just goes to show that fans don't know nothing about basketball."

Ernie: "Nice way to treat our fans, shouldn't they be able to voice their opion?"

The Jet: "I wan't the fans to watch the game, I don't want them to voice their opinon about it".

God I love those three.

tdubb03
01-19-2007, 01:01 AM
I'd like to see JO/Ike up front before JO/Murphy. From what I've read and seen in YouTube hightlite reels (what, that's a credible source) Ike's got an ok mid-ranger, fairly comparable to Murphy's.

Play JO/Ike together, and you've got an already above average defender in Diogu able to develop his defense with the help of the soon to be DPOY in JO behind him. If he can knock down 3/4 13 footers a game, enough to keep the defense honest, it'll prevent teams from immediately doubling JO in the post whenever he's down there alone. And I hear his post repetoire (sp?) is pretty well rounded. So put them both on the blocks and it's pick your poison for the opponent.

Then you bring in a Murphy/Jeff 2nd unit. Jeff's enough of a defender to take whoever JO was guarding. Murphy provides much needed offense to the 2nd unit and a big body to help on the glass. I hear his rebounding numbers are inflated, but I'll take a career 8rpg alongside Jeff Foster anyday.

I wasn't the biggest fan of this trade. And I still hope we move Dunleavy with Tiinsley for a pg, some how. Jason Kidd sounds nice but New Jersey wouldn't even answer the phone for that offer. But even if this is our roster for the season, it makes us so much more balanced. I also think this is now a team Rick Carlisle can coach. He was Coach of the Year for reason. I'm excited.

Also, man Danny Granger is good. I know that was most likely his best game of the year so far, but still, the kid's awesome. And hey, Marquis Daniels at the 2 looks ok to me.

ChicagoJ
01-19-2007, 01:15 AM
Diogu at this point is still very much a 15mpg work in progress.

Frountcourt: O'Neal-Murphy-Granger
Backcourt: Daniels-Tinsley

I'd give Diogu 7-8 minutes a night playing alongside Foster and O'Neal each. We need to figure out which role for him suits us best:

-Interior scorer to compensate for Foster
-Second option to O'Neal, which would free him up for better shots. He'd also have a better defensive presence compensate for his lack of size.

I agree.

I wonder what Ike's role will be.

I wouldn't mind Danny-Ike-JO, but I have a hunch that Rick won't like it.