PDA

View Full Version : Experts on Jackson

OakMoses
01-18-2007, 02:41 PM
This is not a thread to bash Jax. Just to question what I've read in almost every analysis of this trade. All the experts agree that Jackson will thrive in Nelson's fastbreak system. I wonder what qualities he has that make them think this. He's not a good ball-handler. He's not a lights-out shooter. He's not particulary effective on the break. He's not a slasher type who makes great cuts or takes the ball to the hole. He'll upgrade their defense for sure and he's shown signs of being a good passer. The most effective I've seen him though is when he posts up smaller guards. I don't think that's something he'll be doing a lot of in Golden State.

I'm not an expert so I'm probably wrong, but am I the only one who thinks Jax is a very poor fit for an up-tempo running offense?

Kstat
01-18-2007, 02:51 PM
Jax is at his best in an offense where he can post up consistently.

When he's on the perimeter jacking up threes, he's pretty much useless 8 games out of 10.

Unclebuck
01-18-2007, 03:09 PM
Jackson is IMO horrible on the fastbreak. He's not very athletic and has trouble finishing his layups.

There are so many misconceptions about his game. He is tall though

I could go on, but there is no need.

Naptown_Seth
01-18-2007, 04:27 PM
I agree as well. Very strong HC offensive SG, and while his 3pt shot had started off nasty, typically he hits it at a rate good enough to make teams pay if they don't defend him at all.

But his strength is posting up (except he doesn't protect the ball well from the drop down double team - too far off his body with it) and driving baseline. He can muscle into an inside shot for the score as well, rather Artest-like that way.

Solid physical defender, not a speed defender. Not super fast, probably dunks less than Reggie did, no slashing to his game in the traditional 2 steps and up for the dunk style.

I really like Jack's game as a 2nd tier guy for a team, the #3-4 scorer maybe.

But going to a running system will make him look worse, not better. At least IMO.

Unclebuck
01-18-2007, 04:32 PM
I don't know how well Al will fit into Nellie's system either.

In fact if we are just grading the deal based upon which players fit better into the systems of their new coaches - the pacers got the much better of the deal. Murphy is much better in a very structured system a little like Cro and I suspect Dunleavy will also even though he is more of a freelancing type offensive player. My concerns with Dun and Murph are about their defense