PDA

View Full Version : A better team, now.

Roferr
01-18-2007, 10:09 AM
I'll go on record and set myself up for a lot of possible ridicule by saying that we are a better team now. I think that instead of hovering around .500 ball, that we can win from 47-50 games.

I don't think that we are any better, possibly slightly worse, talent wise. However, our chemistry wasn't the greatest. Al was basically a mal-content...he wanted to play SF and when he got the chance, he complained about his "only 4-5 touches". He just didn't fit in with the personnel we had especially JO. Even though he and JO are good friends, I'll bet deep down that JO is very relieved that Al is gone.

A team can be better or worse than the sum of the total parts. Our team was worse than the total of all the parts and I believe our "new" team will be better than the sum of all the parts.

Diogu doesn't need his touches as he can produce his own offense, a great banger down low and great finisher. I believe, in years to come that he will become known as the "man" in the trade.

Murphy is a legitimate double, double guy. I know, he's had some rough spots this year but I'm banking on them being due to complacency on a mediocre team. He will provide the much needed offense that will keep the defense honest and prevent the doubling of JO, much in the same vein as with Brad.

Dunleavy has not performed up to the super hype that was slung his way after college. However, at 6'9" he is a very versatile player. He should fit in very well as he can play SG, SF and even PF. According to RC, he can even fill in occasionally at PG.

I don't know much about McLeod, other than what I've read and he seems to have a lot of potential.

I think the team is now or will be much more unselfish, something we desperately lacked before. Diogu will be happy just banging and getting a lot of put backs. Murphy has nothing to prove anymore, and I think will be just looking to play on a winning team.

It'll be interesting to see how Daniels, Williams and Greene shake out. I think that Williams will be the greatest benefactor of the new line-up. Daniels should be much more involved also.

I would have been a lot more ecstatic if Jax had been traded last year. The edge has been taken off somewhat, due to the fact that he has been playing a lot smarter lately and been much more proficient by taking it to the whole. I don't know whether he'll get an honest chance with the Warriors right off the bat. It would seem smarter to let him play fewer minutes until they see the outcome of his legal problems. There's no sense making him a big part of the team and then have him jerked away. Don't get me wrong, I am still glad that he is gone.

We may flounder a few games until we settle on a starting five and getting a regular rotation pattern but in a few weeks, I can see us firing on all cylinders. I truly believe this team will be competitive with the top teams in the east. Just the mere presence of so many new faces should shake up the team and make it more enthusiastic.

Pacers
01-18-2007, 10:32 AM
another trade where I HOPE Bird/Walsh
know more than we, the fans, do. These guys rarely let us down in trades.

3rdStrike
01-18-2007, 11:43 AM
Who told you McLeod has a lot of potential? If this is the roster the rest of the way (and it ISN'T), I'd wager the P's will take a nose dive in the standings and miss the playoffs entirely.

CableKC
01-18-2007, 06:00 PM
After getting some rest, going over the many threads about Murphy and Dunleavy on what they are capable of, having a conversation with my friend that's a longtime Warriors fan and coming to the realization that if TPTB aren't as concerned about the salarycap situation....I am mildly optimisitc about the future of the team.

I am hoping that we do not make any significant change ( as in move Foster and/or DunDun for another player ) at least until a week before the trade deadline so that we can see how well DunDun and Murphy adapts to our offense, how well Marquis actually does now that Carlisle is forced to give him minutes at the Guard rotation and whether the overall team chemistry has improved.

The only thing that I hope happens is that Carlisle figures out a way to play Diogu consistently for 10 to 15 minutes a game next to Foster or JONeal...at least until he gets his pre-requisite 4 to 5 fouls and is pulle...I want him to get enough minutes to properly develop and be allowed to make mistakes without being yanked from the court prematurely. I really do not want to see what happened to Harrison happen to Diogu.

Jose Slaughter
01-18-2007, 06:10 PM
I mentioned this lastnight but I'll bring it up here again.

What Dunleavy & Murphy bring to the court complements O'Neals game far better than what Harrington & Jackson ever could.

My only concern is Murphys health. I've heard he has been hobbled by injuries this season.

I'm hoping that Dunleavys shooting percentage goes up a little, just as Peja's did when he came here.

Either way, Harrington wasn't fitting in & Jackson had to go so we should be better off. That doesn't even touch on adding Diogu to the mix.

3rdStrike
01-18-2007, 06:13 PM

spazzxb
01-22-2007, 03:38 AM
Need a vacation? Humor me with your ignorance, what does my name refer to? :laugh: I don't know any way to refer to a third strike in anyway other than someone being out. For the record i think my post came off meaner than I intended and I apoligize.

Ragnar
01-22-2007, 09:22 AM
I think we will be worse for this trade. We can now score less than we could before and we cant defend as well as we could before. Seems like a bad way to go to me. And this proves that Rick was never interested in a quick offense. He never truly lets them run it for more than a few minutes anyway.

Evan_The_Dude
01-22-2007, 09:40 AM
I think we will be worse for this trade. We can now score less than we could before and we cant defend as well as we could before. Seems like a bad way to go to me. And this proves that Rick was never interested in a quick offense. He never truly lets them run it for more than a few minutes anyway.

It takes a good basketball IQ to run a quick offense. We traded for that. Once the team earns his trust and confidence, he may loosen the noose.

Unclebuck
01-22-2007, 10:08 AM
I mentioned this lastnight but I'll bring it up here again.

What Dunleavy & Murphy bring to the court complements O'Neals game far better than what Harrington & Jackson ever could.

My only concern is Murphys health. I've heard he has been hobbled by injuries this season.

I'm hoping that Dunleavys shooting percentage goes up a little, just as Peja's did when he came here.

Either way, Harrington wasn't fitting in & Jackson had to go so we should be better off. That doesn't even touch on adding Diogu to the mix.

That ios perfect and I feel the exact same way.

I'm glad that almost all Pacers fans are realistic about Dun and Murphy. They aren't star players, they aren't all star players, they aren't players that you can build the team around. But they certainly can fit in well and they will fit in very well to the Pacers system and with JO. Al and Jax will have better stats than Dun and Murph - but that means nothing to me - the key question is the Pacers team better, not are they more talented.

I do have some concerns about the players the Pacers brought in though. Dun and Murph are not energy players - that just isn't what they are. The players we traded away I won't miss them at all. --

Cobol Sam
01-22-2007, 10:41 AM
That ios perfect and I feel the exact same way.

I'm glad that almost all Pacers fans are realistic about Dun and Murphy. They aren't star players, they aren't all star players, they aren't players that you can build the team around. But they certainly can fit in well and they will fit in very well to the Pacers system and with JO. Al and Jax will have better stats than Dun and Murph - but that means nothing to me - the key question is the Pacers team better, not are they more talented.

I do have some concerns about the players the Pacers brought in though. Dun and Murph are not energy players - that just isn't what they are. The players we traded away I won't miss them at all. --

Ya they aren't Jeff Foster and Armstrong energy players, but they aren't "i'm not shooting well so i'm taking this quarter off" type players either. I'm really excited to be seeing this team play again.

Another thing, I bet Mike Dunleavy plays harder for us than he ever did in Golden State just for the simple fact that we won't boo him for missing a free throw with a 20 point lead or boo him for just being Mike Dunleavy. Look at everything Jackson did wrong while with the team, and you can still find lots of guys supporting him. I will be looking to see his performance and hustle improve while with Indiana.

3rdStrike
01-22-2007, 02:34 PM
I don't know any way to refer to a third strike in anyway other than someone being out. For the record i think my post came off meaner than I intended and I apoligize.

It's all good, FWiW it's not in reference to sports at all.