PDA

View Full Version : Every champion needs a player like Diogu

McKeyFan
01-18-2007, 08:28 AM
This post is a bit pie-in-the-sky, but I'm still in the ecstasy zone over this trade--not saying I know if the trade is good, just that a change brings great hopes.

I've seen Ike Diogu play only a couple of times. I loved him. "That's a guy that will never be let go," I thought, and refused to entertain the possibility of the Ps getting him. Like gazing at the centerfold, it just hurts.

But we got him. I have posted on a few different occasions how the championship teams usually have a go-to low post scorer that has a good field goal percentage. This player is often not the biggest star of the team. For example:

McHale with the Celts (Bird was the star)
Aguire with Pistons (Isaiah the star)
Jabaar with Lakers (Magic the star)

You could find other examples, and it doesn't always hold true (Hakeem was the low-post threat AND the star; Jordan was the go-to guy and didn't have the same kind of low-post compliment, IIRC). But it generally works.

JO is our star, and we may have found the perfect low-post compliment to take us a long way. If you all recall, McHale and Aguire basically scored when they got the ball down low. They just did. It was money. Meanwhile, their superstar teammates are drawing double teams and scoring in the clutch down the stretch. But, day in and day out, like regular clock work, the low-post scoring machine was there to make the offense hum all the way to a championship.

Have we got that guy? I sure hope so.

Skaut_Ech
01-18-2007, 10:28 AM
McKeyFan, I am with you. I don't mean to be a Pollyanna, but I see what you mean. Diogu could be the low post presence I think we've needed for a loOoog time. I've been saying that we need a beast: someone who plays with a chip on their shoulder. I wanst someone who can get nasty. I think Ike may be that guy.

But then I thought the same about Harrison, who seems to equate whining with being nasty.

But I see what you mean. I can see a sympatico relationship forming with those two.

OakMoses
01-18-2007, 10:39 AM
Jordan had Horace Grant.

I'm with you on Diogu. The fact that he's only 6'8" makes me a little nervous. If JO is not going to play C, then can we have him and Diogu on the floor together? I hope so.

Quis
01-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Ike is every bit as good a young prospect as Danny Granger, and he and Granger really give the team a chance to be something special again in the future if they pan out.

But if no moves are made, where will Ike get minutes? JO, Murphy, and Foster will likely take the majority of the 96 PF/C minutes available each game.