PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts regarding the end of Jack's tenure in Indiana

ajbry
01-17-2007, 10:53 PM
I'd just like to thank Stephen for a very memorable (to say the least, whether you loved him or hated him) 2.5 years as an Indiana Pacer. Whether you will recall his stint as an embarrassment to the franchise; a simply adequate heir to Reggie's throne (due to his ever-growing reputation); or a player who stepped up his play in the big moments and in the playoffs - Jack was certainly part of the absolute core of this squad. No matter if you remember his 22 PPG stretch in the 04-05 season when Jermaine was hurt, or that he took the scoring load on his shoulders during that painfully short playoff run - he was at the very least a serviceable shooting guard, at most times an above average performer, and during stretches, a versatile wing player whom was impossible to stop.

Obviously, most of you diehard Pacers fans will simply think of two particular incidents - 11/19 and Club Rio. Unfortunately, many casual sports fans attribute Jack as the prototypical modern NBA thug, an unappreciative gang member who enjoys causing trouble. However, though his actions were much less than acceptable, he seemingly made legitimate attempts to rectify his attitude problems. With his background, it is a lot more difficult to overcome than most of us could ever comprehend.

There is the far too unnoticed side of Stephen Jackson, that almost never gets any of the spotlight - the good side. During this past summer, Jackson founded the Stephen Jesse Jackson Academy in his hometown of Port Arthur, Texas. This institution will emphasize academics and fine arts. It will initially be open to children in kindergarten through sixth grade, with plans to add grades seven through 12 later. Additionally, during this past summer, Jack made a point to create deep bonds with his children and he said the entire experience was gratifying and humbled him quite a bit.

As far as chemistry "issues," they were hugely blown out of proportion. Many teammates liked Jack a lot, and considered him to be the funniest Pacer in the locker room. They also knew he was loyal (almost to a fault) and would step it up when the pressure was on. Fans always would comment on his friendliness and overall pleasant demeanor, commonly referring to him as the nicest Pacer to meet in person.

His performance on the court mirrored that of his personal life - inconsistent. When his shot is falling, he is an excellent threat offensively. Jack can post up, drive to the hoop, hit the mid-range, and definitely can knock down three-pointers (hell, he hit 4 3's in 4 straight possessions last year in a game). Defensively, his effort could be up-and-down as well. When he had the motivation, his man would basically be locked down. Most nights it would be a very solid effort on that end of the court, no matter how his shot was falling. Stephen certainly had his rough patches - where nothing would fall through the twine and where his defensive effort was lackluster to say the least - but his good commonly outweighed the bad, in my opinion. Rick Carlisle didn't call him a top 10-15 player at his position just for the hell of it.

Speaking of Carlisle, his shouting matches were pretty well-documented. His fiery personality caused him to direct his displeasure to his coach (and the referees as well). Carlisle and Jack were happy 99.9% of the time, but if Stephen got unhappy, he voiced his opinion. Obviously, you need to respect authority figures, but Jack would let his emotions get the best of him. Overall, Carlisle valued Stephen a lot, and vice versa. After all, Rick went straight to Jack and JO this past offseason to make sure they supported him as head coach.

I'll conclude with my favorite memory of Stephen Jackson. It was the pivotal game 5 of the Celtics - Pacers first round series during the 04-05 season. I was 3 rows away from the floor, practically courtside (dropped a few benjamins, but I really wanted to see the vantage point from the floor, and it was worth it). During the 4th quarter, it was obviously a ridiculous atmosphere. I was waving around my JO jersey, and had my Jack jersey on. During a stoppage in play, he saw me and nodded. Then, about 10 seconds later, he looked at me again, so I pointed to the "1" on my jersey, and he winked. Basically, you could tell he was happy to see a Pacers fan right there, supporting them in a hostile environment. He was the only Pacer to flat-out acknowledge me the entire game. I'll always appreciate that - when your favorite athlete takes the time to show gratitude for your support.

Thanks for your tenure, Jack, on behalf of perhaps your absolute biggest fan. Good luck in Golden State (my new second favorite team obviously).

Remember... JACK > YOU.

GetMoney
01-17-2007, 10:59 PM
word, jack was the face of the franchise and the realest n/igga in the league

would go to war for any1 of his teammates

team just got a lot softer

fire carlisle, bring back bird

Trader Joe
01-17-2007, 11:00 PM
Hear, hear. Jack and I had a love-hate relationship, but I will always appreciate his fiery personality and never say die attitude. In a lot of ways his personality reminds me of myself (whether thats a good thing or a bad thing). The other thing I liked about Jack other than the two I have previously mentioned was that he rarely if ever shied away from being nice to the fans. Even if the fans were giving him hell that game you could tell he would feed off their cheers even if they were drowned by boos. He was also one of the few Pacers that were very nice to kids and would stop and sign autographs. My favorite Jack moment was easily his pregame ritual of going "one on one" with one of the Pacers High five kids. He was a genuinely nice guy deep down. He'll be remembered by most for the bad times, I am going to remember the good times with Jack. Good luck in Golden State.

P.S. Jack is easily the player I am most upset about losing in this deal, and its really not even close.

01-17-2007, 11:07 PM
:tumbleweed:

:D

Destined4Greatness
01-17-2007, 11:10 PM
My thoughts are we got rid of one problem in exchange for 2 more.

Kstat
01-17-2007, 11:13 PM
Never been a secret that I never liked jackson as a player or even as a human being, but I'm not going to slander him more on his way out.

I'll just say this: he's gone, I'm happy I don't have to watch him play but 2 times a year, and golden state just became my least favorite team in the NBA.

Thank you Larry. I'll send you a card or something.

Jermaniac
01-17-2007, 11:14 PM
My favorite Jack moment was that one time when he passed the ball to another Pacer. Magical.

Just playing. My favorite Jack moment was his first game after the brawl. We just got him that summer and he played less then 10 games and the brawl happened. I really wanted to watch him play and it made me mad that I could because he was suspended, I wanted to learn about his game and how he played like every new Pacer that comes. He was my 2nd favorite Pacer for a very long time. That started to change last season, he just wasnt the same player he was when he came back after the brawl. The shots he was putting up made me mad, he wasnt passing the ball right, he wasnt getting back on defense so he could argue with the refs. I wish him the best with the Warriors and I hope he stays out of trouble. Peace Jack.

WE RIDE TOGETHER BABY

efx
01-17-2007, 11:16 PM
That was a nice writeup ajbry.

He never was my favorite player but I can understand why some people might be fond of him.

Good post.

Quis
01-17-2007, 11:23 PM
Never been a secret that I never liked jackson as a player or even as a human being, but I'm not going to slander him more on his way out.

I'll just say this: he's gone, I'm happy I don't have to watch him play but 2 times a year, and golden state just became my least favorite team in the NBA.

Thank you Larry. I'll send you a card or something.

He's a better human being than Rasheed Wallace.

Anyways, I didn't like Jack's game most of the time but he seemed like a personable guy. But Donnie Walsh was right, he needed a fresh start elsewhere, too many of the Indy fans had turned on him due to his off-court mistakes the past few years.

Destined4Greatness
01-17-2007, 11:24 PM
My favorite moment had to be when he missed the three against Miami, but then we got the offensive board and he nailed the shot to send it into OT, then [Gulp] Reggie finished them off.

Big Smooth
01-17-2007, 11:26 PM
Good luck and happy trails to SJax. I always liked him for the most part. Sure, he was frustrating at times but I'll continue to insist he never really got to play the role that was intended for him in Indiana due to the brawl. He wasn't brought in to be a primary scorer but ended up shouldering a lot of that load due to suspensions/injuries. I think he gave it an honest effort and I like his game. Far from perfect but I appreciate his time here.

3rdStrike
01-17-2007, 11:32 PM
I like Jack the person. He keeps it real, plays through injuries without using them as an excuse, and is as fierce a competitor as there is in the league. From what I've seen of him, he's the kind of person you want as your homeboy, because he doesn't front and you know he'll look out for you.

I didn't like Jack the basketball player. Shot a low percentage, as a SG at 6'8 didn't get boards, wasn't an especially gifted playmaker....essentially, all he did was shoot, and he didn't do it as well as I hoped he would when they traded for him. And there's the problems with authority he had, which by no means do I solely attribute to him.

In closing, I feel like he should have been traded far earlier. Not because I dislike him, but because it was as obvious then as it is now that it wasn't going to work out for him here (ditto Harrington on that last part).

As pertains to Jack and the Pacers, this trade is a win/win for each side. I'll definately root for him to have success in the West (and Sarunas as well).

I hope he doesn't harbor any bad feelings towards the city/organization, but I certainly wouldn't blame him if he does.

joles519
01-17-2007, 11:33 PM
Thank you for the positive thoughts about Jack.

I always liked him.

JayRedd
01-17-2007, 11:33 PM
The guy was a warrior and played hurt more than any of us will ever know. He often left it all on the line. For that I respect him tremendously. But I just don't like the way the guy plays the game and I'm happy that he's on a plane to The Golden State.

Now they just need to trade for Ron Ron, draft Foul Monday and add a "Tru" to their name...I kid, I kid.

joeyd
01-17-2007, 11:34 PM
There is the far too unnoticed side of Stephen Jackson, that almost never gets any of the spotlight - the good side.

Excellent summary. By all accounts he was a pretty nice guy. He donated his own game tickets (the ones the players get for their families for each game) to the silent auction at my kid's elementary school spring carnival ( I was lucky enough to place the winning bid), and he was very nice at all the meet-and-greet autograph sessions. You can tell when a player is just going through the motions. Jax really appreciated his fans, and it showed. He's an intense player that others could have taken a page from.

Anthem
01-17-2007, 11:34 PM
Jack's had a lot of great moments here. A lot of not-great ones, too, but that's what you get with an MLE shooting guard.

Best of luck, Jack.

Jermaniac
01-17-2007, 11:35 PM
I would also like to add to my post that Jack was treated like horse crap by the fans last year. This year he might have deserved it because of the strip club thing. But last year was uncalled for.

Hoop
01-17-2007, 11:46 PM
Very nice write up ajbry!

Good Luck JAX!

ajbry
01-18-2007, 12:04 AM
Good to see a lot of you legitimately respect Jack, he'd definitely appreciate it. It always seemed as if he got so much blame around here, but it's nice to read your responses thus far.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
01-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Ive always disliked Jack since the brawl. Of course the way he acted during the brawl made me sick. But it was also the first game I ever saw him play and I didn't like his the way he played, at all.

That said, I haven't hated on Jack at all this year, mostly because I haven't seen any games this year. But it was also because it sounded like Jack might have turned his game around this year judging by reports from some of the posters I trust. I might be a little disappointed that I never got to make this judgement myself, tomorrow night will be the first Pacers game Ive watched all season. I also felt like he was treated poorly by the fans this year when they continued to boo him even when he was playing well.

Even so, I am extremely happy to see the Jack I remember from the last two seasons finally being traded. It has nothing to do with the offcourt incidents and everything to do with his terrible shot selection, varying attitude to playing defense (he played good D on the rare occasion he wanted to), yelling at refs and not getting back on D, undermining the coach, etc. etc. etc.

Good riddance.

Moses
01-18-2007, 12:35 AM
Hell of a player who went out there and gave it his all every single night.

When it came down to it, inconsistency in his play and off the court incidents really led to his trading. I really don't think he could ever start in this league as a prototypical 2 guard..but he's much better then most backups. I just think the Pacers were looking to get rid of him because of his off-the-court issues more then anything and not to mention I really think he had some power over Rick Carlisle, despite what some of you say. I think Jack was bullying Rick in a sense when it came to PT by complaining a lot.

Peck
01-18-2007, 01:23 AM
My favorite moment had to be when he missed the three against Miami, but then we got the offensive board and he nailed the shot to send it into OT, then [Gulp] Reggie finished them off.

Ahem!!!!!!!!

Let's refresh our memory's a little.

Jackson fires a three & misses with both Shaq & Walker standing down low to get the rebound.

But fortune was with the Pacers that gloryious day as Dale Davis heroicly lept above both and with the strength of 100 men seized the rebound and sure victory from the Heat.:D

He then passed with the acuracy of Magic Johnson to a wide open Austin Croshere;) who then went mid flight & decided against taking the shot. Thus passing to an open Jackson who drained the three as though it were a layup.

Ok, ok, ok, I had to have a little Dale moment in there for all of our benefits.

I just want to throw this out there for Ajbry. I respect your post a lot. I know what it's like to have your favorite player traded & I think you gave a very balanced very well thought out post that had real emotion in it.

cheers to you sir.

As to Jax, it's no seceret that I never loved his game nor did I hate it. I think & I've said for over a season now that the locals were more than a little unfair to Jackson for some of the things they were on him about. Don't get me wrong he desereved every boo he got when it came to him arguing with Rick or cursing him as he took him out of the game.

But I can honestly say that I don't think there were any times where I felt like Jax wasn't trying out there on the floor.

In the end it is best for him to get a fresh start.

But to Jacksons fans here all I can say is I can feel your pain.

Sollozzo
01-18-2007, 01:30 AM
Jackson fires a three & misses with both Shaq & Walker standing down low to get the rebound.

Couldn't have been Walker, he was still a Celtic then.

Peck
01-18-2007, 01:37 AM
Couldn't have been Walker, he was still a Celtic then.

My bad, I meant Haslam.

rexnom
01-18-2007, 01:40 AM
I'm actually going to miss him too. More so than Al...which is weird. I bragged about Jack's underrated game earlier today to one of my friends. I always loved his game. Then again, he sort of changed after that brawl season. He made lots more questionable decisions. I absolutely loved him with Reggie...too bad they couldn't have played more together.

wintermute
01-18-2007, 01:54 AM
i won't pretend that i was a fan of jack in his stint with the pacers, but what i did like about him is that he's a tough player who plays through injuries.

it's a pity too because he was playing his best ball as a pacer this season, but i suppose that makes it the best time to trade him.

good luck, jack

v_d_g
01-18-2007, 02:07 AM
Not gonna be the same watching (what was) the SLOWest team in the league without the player with the SLOWEST MOVE in the league.

You know, the one where he just holds the ball for the duration of the shot clock, tries repeatedly to head fake his man and them settles for the off target long range jumper.

Not to say that what's coming in thrills me in any way but:

losing Jax (see above),

a plodder point guard that can't bring up the ball, and

a forward that can't guard (3 or 4 or anybody), board or make a shot WHEN IT COUNTS that cost us a #1 2007 draft pick

is not something I'm gonna shed tears over.

Let's face it, as previously assembled, the Pacers were at the bottom end of the league in terms of shooting percentage and UNDER the BARREL when it comes to providing BBALL entertainment.

How could it be any worse? Now, let me take a moment to say HEEL and WHOAAA to TPTB, with that trade exemption they've secured. Here's hoping we come out of this with our 2008 #1 still entact.

Time for another prolonged European scouting trip for Bird. (and premature retirement for Walsh).

Some GMs (or whatever) go to Europe and come back with Charlie Bell; others return with Sharunas and Baston. Go figure.

Arcadian
01-18-2007, 02:10 AM
I can say that Jackson always played hard and showed a lot of heart in his Indy stint. I hope he does well in Golden State.

lumber man
01-18-2007, 05:59 AM
Jack is the man! (one more for the road.) i am really gonna miss this guy, he is a tough player ready to go everynight. i agree with donnie though, even with a handful of supporters that he has, jack never would have truly been accepted by the fans here. any little thing he did would be blown up. God bless him and i hope the future is better for the man.

golstarr99
01-18-2007, 06:13 AM
Jackson will be moving on to a better state with more cultured fans who will accept him for who he is. Jackson is a type of guy who is who he is. If it ain't real, it ain't him!

NZPacer
01-18-2007, 06:24 AM
Very nice post ajbry!

I too felt the positives Jack brought to the Pacers were overlooked. I believe far too often he was used as a scapegoat for a Poor Pacers performance.

My favorite Jack memory occurred during our playoff series with Boston two years ago (the Pacers ended up winning in 7). Game 5 at Boston - late in the 4th quarter Jack hit a HUGE flat-footed three just before the shot clock expired.

Putnam
01-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Nice eulogy, ajbry.

What I think of Jackson doesn't matter anymore. It's right that his fans have the last word.

Naptown_Seth
01-18-2007, 10:43 AM
He's a better human being than Rasheed Wallace.

Anyways, I didn't like Jack's game most of the time but he seemed like a personable guy. But Donnie Walsh was right, he needed a fresh start elsewhere, too many of the Indy fans had turned on him due to his off-court mistakes the past few years.
I agree with that 100%. He was putting up his best season for the Pacers and seemed to have addressed some of his problem areas fairly well. Less yapping most of the time, a lot better play away from the ball and without being involved early on in the scoring (which was a complaint from him in previous seasons - need shots to play well), and pleasantly consistant defensive effort.

Honestly I think he wasn't moved for Pacers chemistry issues at all, but simply to satisfy the fans. I think this deal wasn't a case of "well if we have to throw in Al" at all. I think the Pacers wanted to move Al specifically because he was the one player that clearly was not working out in the rotation.

Even Saras had settled into an adequate backup PG. Problematic, but at times very productive. Only Al seemed out of place.

So in the process of moving Al they decided to resolve the fanbase issue too. My problem with that is that fans are big, fat liars. You think attendence will go up if the Pacers maintain .500 ball without Jackson on the team? Get ready for reality to hit you in the face.

That's why you don't listen to the fanbase. They don't make good on "we'll support nice guys" talk, and they won't support teams that lose. You've got to make team chemistry and player talent choices only because only winning really gets the attention of the casual fan that fills out the arena.

Based on how they moved Jack, I'm not sure they really did that, and that does bother me. Especially when I hear something like Kiki V. on ESPN say that GS won this deal and just got a lot more athletic and up-tempo.

Altering the SG situation I was fine with, but right now I just don't see how they improved upon Jackson at either end, as much as I do like Daniels game of hunt-and-peck driving and dumping.

vapacersfan
01-18-2007, 11:35 AM
I do not buy the premise for a second that Jack was moved to satisfy the “fan base”.

You want to tell me he was treated unfairly? Fine.

I don’t agree with that, but that is your right to feel that way. When a guy gets into as much trouble as Jack has (on and off the court) people are going to start watching you closer.

Its like the guy that complains about running a red light then getting 3 speeding tickets in 2 months. When you break the rules you put a target on your back.

Sorry, I don’t believe that he was moved to satisfy the fans. To make the team “chemistry” better? Maybe. To make life easier on RC? Maybe. Because the man was just simply not happy? Maybe. Because people remember him more for 11/19 then they do for any of his good games? Maybe. Because the fan base wanted him moved? Nope, not buying it.

ABADays
01-18-2007, 12:46 PM
Now he can keep it real being close to the Hood called Oakland. He never "got it" and I don't think he ever will.

AesopRockOn
01-18-2007, 01:03 PM
Jackson will be moving on to a better state with more cultured fans who will accept him for who he is. Jackson is a type of guy who is who he is. If it ain't real, it ain't him!

I ain't from Indy but that's pretty ****ed up kid.

Word, Jack always showed a ton of grit and determination and was never lazy; he just made a few bad judgments and pretty much forgave him for being a hothead. He's a talented player who never really hit his stride with us. Best of luck, SJJ.

RWB
01-18-2007, 01:42 PM

I believe shortly golstarr will be moving to a different forum where more cultured fans will accept him for who he is. :devil:

storm1015
01-18-2007, 02:14 PM
I'll probably have more positive memories of Jax when I think of his time in NJ, SA, and ATL. For some reason I remember hearing about Jax when he committed to Arizona. I think it was the year after they had Bibby, Miles, Simon, etc. They kept saying their best player was probably on the way. I then followed Jax until he caught on in New Jersey. I remember watching him in the Rookie/Sophmore game. Jax was not very athletic in that game nor ever really. I don't know why some people think that. In that game he was outmached physically, but kept scoring on posts and 3's. You could tell he had a chip on his shoulder.

In SA I'll remember Jax as their one "make my own play/shot" type player and that really helped them get over. Now they have Parker and Ginobili in that role, but they needed Jax that year. In the ATL Jax really became what I thought he could: a scorer. When the Pacers traded for him I wasn't thrilled to give up Al, but the trade was made b/c we needed permiter scoring (remember the painful DET/IND series in the EC finals the year before). Jax looked good filling in for Reggie before the brawl. He scored when needed, and was rebounding the ball and getting out on breaks. Something happened after that. He changed the way he played forever when the suspensions hit. For some reason he went back to his ATL days and stopped doing the other stuff that made him good.

After this my fondest memory of Jax would be the game 5 in Boston. I did not want to see Reggie's last game and I knew when that game started it would be Jax to get us going. We needed him and he produced one of the best games of his career. He was great in that game as he was for a good stretch of that year when we got Dale. Dale and Foster down low, and Reggie and Jax coming off screens. That was his apex as a Pacer.

He'll be alright in GS if he accepts his role.

Roferr
01-18-2007, 02:38 PM
My happiness at the banishment of Jax is a little tempered. If we would have traded him last year, I would have been ecstatic. However, this year he was toning his shooting down somewhat, and taking it to the basket much more, which made him a decent player. His defense was sporadic. He could lock down the other teams best guard with "in your jock" defense when he wanted and at other times would allow lesser players to have a career night. However, I was finally comfortable with him playing over 30 minutes a game.

Now that he's gone, I wish him the best. He may not be receiving many minutes with the Warriors until his court appearance. Why make him a big part of the team not knowing whether he will be suddenly unavailable?

lumber man
01-18-2007, 05:16 PM
I believe shortly golstarr will be moving to a different forum where more cultured fans will accept him for who he is. :devil:
:laugh: now that was a good one!

Mourning
01-18-2007, 05:40 PM
Not gonna be the same watching (what was) the SLOWest team in the league without the player with the SLOWEST MOVE in the league.

You know, the one where he just holds the ball for the duration of the shot clock, tries repeatedly to head fake his man and them settles for the off target long range jumper.

Not to say that what's coming in thrills me in any way but:

losing Jax (see above),

a plodder point guard that can't bring up the ball, and

a forward that can't guard (3 or 4 or anybody), board or make a shot WHEN IT COUNTS that cost us a #1 2007 draft pick

is not something I'm gonna shed tears over.

Let's face it, as previously assembled, the Pacers were at the bottom end of the league in terms of shooting percentage and UNDER the BARREL when it comes to providing BBALL entertainment.

How could it be any worse? Now, let me take a moment to say HEEL and WHOAAA to TPTB, with that trade exemption they've secured. Here's hoping we come out of this with our 2008 #1 still entact.

Time for another prolonged European scouting trip for Bird. (and premature retirement for Walsh).

Some GMs (or whatever) go to Europe and come back with Charlie Bell; others return with Sharunas and Baston. Go figure.

Could you do us all a favour and keep this sort of crap out of threads like this? Seriously.

On Stephen. He wasn't my favorite player, but I must say that I liked his game this season a LOT better then the year before. Big difference IMO. You also can't discount the fact that ALWAYS showed up and didn't play hurt.
His intensity usually was so high that it would bother his emotional state of mind in some games and thus his game.

I loved his defense in 2004-2005, hated it in 2005-2006 and this year it was up-and-down.

His arguing with the coach, team mates and in particular referees would drive me mad as some of the bad decision-making at times. I liked both a lot better this season. I think he did get treated to harshly, especially compared to several other of our players and I hope he stays out of jail and can continue to rejuvinate his career and name. Goodluck Stephen! :cheers:

And to ajbry, appreciate the balanced part you wrote about Jack. Sucks to see your favorite player leave. Cheers mate! :cheers:

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

ALF68
01-19-2007, 10:14 AM
So in the process of moving Al they decided to resolve the fanbase issue too. My problem with that is that fans are big, fat liars. You think attendence will go up if the Pacers maintain .500 ball without Jackson on the team? Get ready for reality to hit you in the face.

Sad, is the only way to describe this comment. I am not fat or a liar and all Pacer fans should be offended by your comments. I am curious as to what your attitude would have been if Jack had remained and Danny was traded. I believe it would have went like this, great trade and the outlook is bright, blah, blah, blah.

I do however, agree with you that Jack was traded to appease the fan base, and rightfully so, and as I have previously posted, Tins has to go also. What would you have TPTP do, sit pat with this team and watch more fans disappear? They had no choice, and if you would take off your blinders, you would see that.

Did I like Jack, Hell NO, did I want him traded, Hell Yes! Now that is a honest answer, unlike some of phony praise for Jack and how they really liked him, total BS.

Slick Pinkham
01-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Ding, dong
the witch is dead,
the mean old witch,
the wicked witch...

Like Jose Slaughter said elsewhere, it is so exciting to write these words:

He is gone!!!

:)

Unclebuck
01-19-2007, 01:20 PM
I had more concern about what Jackson did on the court - they stuff off the court didn't really bother me personally (but I hate it when fans and media bad mouth the Pacers so I guess in an indirect way I hated the trouble Jax got in off the court) I can overlook the stuff off the court though. I can even overlook his temper, but his style of play I had just grown very tired of tolerating

Doug
01-19-2007, 02:11 PM
I'm glad Jackson is gone. Relieved even. As in, it's about #$!@#$!@ time!

But that doesn't mean I hated the guy.

He had good traits as a person - like building the school, and bad traits - his temper and lack of judgment and knack for doing things that embarrass the franchise.

I liked how he tried hard and genuinely cared more about winning than himself. But his game had multiple glaring flaws that have been beat to death here.

But, all-in-all, it was (past) time for him to move on to another team. It was better for both the Pacers and Jackson.