PDA

View Full Version : TNT Announcers were had were AWFUL

Southside_Pacer
05-10-2004, 11:33 PM
I never wanna have Rex Chapman be the color guy for a Pacers game again. He was really hard to listen to because he kept repeating himself over and over and over and over and over again about the same things.

How many times much we know that he does not like Jermaine O'Neal's free throw shooting form?

How many times must we know that he thinks Artest fouls everytime he plays defense? :unimpressed:

The only guy there who brought any intelligence to this game was John Thompson.

Southside_Pacer
05-10-2004, 11:40 PM
Oh, and basically anytime the Pacers missed a shot that means that Miami played great defense.

That got pretty old after every missed basket they'd go "Great defense by Miami!"

They were also commenting too much on their crowd. Their home crowd isn't that much difference from any other home crowd in the league. It's amazing how they've found all these fans when at the beginning of the year they had over 6000 empty seats. :unimpressed:

Miami is an awful sports town, and nobody realized the Marlins even existed down there from 1998-July 2003 when they started winning again. :rolleyes: Same thing with the Heat, they've rediscovered that they have a basketball team.

efx
05-10-2004, 11:41 PM
Can you blame them though? Compare the current heat team the most recent ones? I'd be excited too.

Southside_Pacer
05-10-2004, 11:51 PM
I'm not saying they shouldn't be excited about the Heat, I'm just saying that the expression "Everybody loves a winner" applies to the city of Miami.

It's not an excellent sports town in terms of support. It's the Dolphins and everybody else.

Unclebuck
05-11-2004, 12:28 AM
Gary Bender the worst. All hype.

John Thompson is Ok, he does not add too much.

Rex Chapman is very interesting. I think he has a lot of potential, he makes some very good points, but he needs to learn that at times he should just let the point go. But I think he has a chance to be very good.

MagicRat
05-11-2004, 12:31 AM
Mark and Slick were good, as always....

sweabs
05-11-2004, 09:42 AM
Rex Chapman is very interesting. I think he has a lot of potential, he makes some very good points, but he needs to learn that at times he should just let the point go. But I think he has a chance to be very good.

Here is something from Indystar:
TNT commentator Rex Chapman offered a gem during Game 3 coverage.

Speaking of Pacers All-Star forward Ron Artest, the NBA Defensive Player of the Year, Chapman said, "He came into the league as nothing but a defender."

Huh?

Artest was a first-round NBA draft pick in 1999 after averaging 14.5 points, 6.3 rebounds, 4.2 assists and 1.2 blocks as a sophomore at St. John's. That year, he led the Red Storm in scoring 10 times, rebounding 12 times and assists 15 times in being named first team All-Big East.

:laugh:

ChicagoJ
05-11-2004, 10:04 AM
How many times much we know that he does not like Jermaine O'Neal's free throw shooting form?

Why, because he was right?

How many times must we know that he thinks Artest fouls everytime he plays defense? :unimpressed:

Consider the source. Rex Chapman was a scoring machine who didn't really like to bother with playing defense and he didn't particuarly like physical defense played against him (that's the polite way of saying he was just as whiny as a player).

[hr]

I agree with UB, Rex has a lot of potential. I've slept since I last thought about it, but I believe he's the son of a coach (perhaps that's why I can relate to him?) Anyway, I thought Rex was refeshing last night.

The only thing Gary Bender said that was insightful was that Tinsley was better than he realized. Of course, that was also an admission that he doesn't watch much NBA basketball. :unimpressed:

Graywolf_59
05-11-2004, 02:27 PM
Do what I do.......Mute the TV.......Put Mark-Slick on the radio :D :D :D

Southside_Pacer
05-11-2004, 02:44 PM
I'm not saying JO's foul shot form is pretty, but when a color guy mentions it OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN every time he shots a foul shot it, it's not enjoyable to listen to. :unimpressed:

naptownmenace
05-11-2004, 02:57 PM
I thought that Rex Chapman was a very welcomed voice on last night's crew. I liked Chapman and didn't have a problem with anything he said. That includes his comment about Artest coming into the NBA as strictly a defender. Go back and look at Artest's averages (fg %s) from his rookie season. Besides, he meant it as a compliment. Artest has shown great growth offensively.

That Gary Bender guy knows absolutely nothing about NBA basketball and John Thompson might as well be named "Mr. Obvious" or John Madden, if you prefer. ;)

Kegboy
05-11-2004, 05:40 PM
That Gary Bender guy knows absolutely nothing about NBA basketball

That's what I thought. I figured he was some NASCAR guy stuck with TNT or something. I googled him after the game, and found out that not only has he been calling college and pro basketball for 25 years, but he's done Phoenix's play-by-play for over 10 years. :shrug: Regardless, he's the worst announcer I've heard in a long-a$$ time.

ChicagoJ
05-11-2004, 06:12 PM

That's what I thought. I figured he was some NASCAR guy stuck with TNT or something. I googled him after the game, and found out that not only has he been calling college and pro basketball for 25 years, but he's done Phoenix's play-by-play for over 10 years. :shrug: Regardless, he's the worst announcer I've heard in a long-a$$ time.

Wow. I'm dumbfounded. Based on last night's performance, which is the first time I've really tried to pay attention to him... Wow. Al Albert would have been a better choice. :unimpressed:

Kegboy
05-12-2004, 12:55 AM

Wow. I'm dumbfounded. Based on last night's performance, which is the first time I've really tried to pay attention to him... Wow. Al Albert would have been a better choice. :unimpressed:

Maybe he hit South Beach a bit too hard before the game. :alcohol: :morning:

Unclebuck
05-12-2004, 09:34 AM
The amazing thing about Gary Bender, he was at one time the number 1 guy for CBS' NCAA tournament coverage, he worked with Billy Packer I think from 1982 through 1984. He also was the number 1 guy for CBS' NBA coverage for a year maybe two during the early 80's.

Did not like him then, like him less now.

Yes he does the Suns TV games with Eddie Johnson, yes that former Pacer Eddie Johnson

Kegboy
05-12-2004, 06:23 PM
The amazing thing about Gary Bender, he was at one time the number 1 guy for CBS' NCAA tournament coverage, he worked with Billy Packer I think from 1982 through 1984. He also was the number 1 guy for CBS' NBA coverage for a year maybe two during the early 80's.

Did not like him then, like him less now.

Yes he does the Suns TV games with Eddie Johnson, yes that former Pacer Eddie Johnson

Poor Eddie. :(