PDA

View Full Version : Pacers get a $4.1 million TE???

shags
01-17-2007, 05:39 PM
Teams can re-organize trades however they want to in the CBA. So, for the Pacers it works like this:

Harrington, Jackson, and Powell for Murphy, Dunleavy, and McLeod.

They acquire Diogu for the TE they got from the Anthony Johnson trade.

So they essentially trade Jasikevicius for nothing, gaining a $4.1 million TE, which will expire a year from today.

This link explains the rule. http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#69

Just an FYI.

Kegboy
01-17-2007, 05:49 PM
So they essentially trade Jasikevicius for nothing

:innocent:

Unclebuck
01-17-2007, 05:52 PM
:innocent:

Kegboy - don't get in trouble now

But until just now I hadn't considered what trading Saras will do to the forum. let me just leave it unsaid, but it will be a sunny day tomorrow

Shade
01-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Whoever keeps finagling these trade exemptions needs a raise.

Hopefully we use this one a little better than the last one.

Shade
01-17-2007, 06:00 PM
You know, this TA would help us if we try to get Kidd.

Murphy, Tinsley, and the TA for Kidd? :innocent:

Mourning
01-17-2007, 06:01 PM
Man that's ugly to put all people who liked Saras in one place.

How would you like it if people talked like that about people who like Foster or JO?

But, hey we still have our SUPER DUPER PG Tinsley :puke:.

IF we are beying nasty anyway I might aswell add my part and present the hope that he gets traded within the next 24 hours.

Anyway, this TE is a bonus in the total trade we just made. Quite an important bonus actually.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Evan_The_Dude
01-17-2007, 06:02 PM
Damn. I have to say one thing, TPTB had a lot of guts to pull this entire trade off just after working so hard to get the guy. This just shows me that they'll try something, but they're not afraid to admit their mistake and make a change if necessary. They did it with James White, and now with Al Harrington.

Jermaniac
01-17-2007, 06:04 PM
Man that's ugly to put all people who liked Saras in one place.

How would you like it if people talked like that about people who like Foster or JO?

But, hey we still have our SUPER DUPER PG Tinsley :puke:.

IF we are beying nasty anyway I might aswell add my part and present the hope that he gets traded within the next 24 hours.

Anyway, this TE is a bonus in the total trade we just made. Quite an important bonus actually.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:Super Duper PG >> Sarunas.

Man I'm back on my grizzly.

Aw Heck
01-17-2007, 06:05 PM
A TE? Really? This trade just got better for the Pacers in my eyes.

This gives them more flexibility if/when they decide to make an additional trade. Something tells me we're looking to get a new starting 1 or 2 soon.

pizza guy
01-17-2007, 06:19 PM
A TE? Really? This trade just got better for the Pacers in my eyes.

This gives them more flexibility if/when they decide to make an additional trade. Something tells me we're looking to get a new starting 1 or 2 REALLY soon.

fixed.

There simply has to be another deal in the wings. The combination of players, and now the TE points DIRECTLY to more moves on the horizon. I know where there's a very good PG on the trading block, that would really like a change of scenery because things have been a little rough at home for him lately. I think we have the pieces to make a move--I'm not Kidding either.

This move, no matter how it actually plays out on the court, has my 100% approval! Getting rid of Jack and Al HAD to be done, and this team needed a shake-up. I think the guys we got fit well with JO and Rick, but are also expendable for the right guy.

CableKC
01-17-2007, 06:25 PM
Teams can re-organize trades however they want to in the CBA. So, for the Pacers it works like this:

Harrington, Jackson, and Powell for Murphy, Dunleavy, and McLeod.

They acquire Diogu for the TE they got from the Anthony Johnson trade.

So they essentially trade Jasikevicius for nothing, gaining a $4.1 million TE, which will expire a year from today.

This link explains the rule. http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#69

Just an FYI.
Can someone confirm for me if they officially get a 4.1 Mil TE?

Is this speculation or is this official news?

Not to question Shags......I just want to be sure that this part of the deal is legit or mere speculation.

v_d_g
01-17-2007, 06:30 PM
Whoever keeps finagling these trade exemptions needs a raise.

Hopefully we use this one a little better than the last one.

The first part is the majority sentiment on the board.

Need I remind anyone that the last TE cost us a 2007 #1?

aceace
01-17-2007, 06:31 PM
deleted

Anthem
01-17-2007, 06:33 PM
but it will be a sunny day tomorrow
:D

That is all.

Third line.

Anthem
01-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Can someone confirm for me if they officially get a 4.1 Mil TE?

Is this speculation or is this official news?

Not to question Shags......I just want to be sure that this part of the deal is legit or mere speculation.
Speculation at this point, but possible. Although we used the Anthony Johnson TE on Mark Edwards, so I don't think there's anything left. Even if we did get it, given our cap situation I wouldn't be too surprised if we didn't use it.

Although we could probably net Dale Davis with that TE if it really exists... :devil:

JayRedd
01-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Damn. I have to say one thing, TPTB had a lot of guts to pull this entire trade off just after working so hard to get the guy. This just shows me that they'll try something, but they're not afraid to admit their mistake and make a change if necessary. They did it with James White, and now with Al Harrington.

You can probably include Sarunas onto that list as well...They went hard to recruit him and gave an aging European player a guarenteed 3-year/$12 million deal.

And hopefully this TE can come in handy again.

Mourning
01-17-2007, 06:37 PM

:pullhair:

Trader Joe
01-17-2007, 06:50 PM

But until just now I hadn't considered what trading Saras will do to the forum. let me just leave it unsaid, but it will be a sunny day tomorrow

:dance: :champagne :cheers: :jump: :zip: :uhoh:

pwee31
01-17-2007, 07:09 PM

It's a lottery protected pick, so if we don't improve from the .500 mark, we could always tank at the end of the season to miss the playoffs

shags
01-17-2007, 07:17 PM
Speculation at this point, but possible. Although we used the Anthony Johnson TE on Mark Edwards, so I don't think there's anything left. Even if we did get it, given our cap situation I wouldn't be too surprised if we didn't use it.

Although we could probably net Dale Davis with that TE if it really exists... :devil:

It's definitely speculation on my part. I apologize if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am, because it makes sense from the Pacers perspective and works via the CBA.

As for Edwards, I thought they used the James Jones trade exception ($1.3 million) to acquire him, so they had all of the one from the Johnson deal left.

blanket
01-17-2007, 07:27 PM
It's definitely speculation on my part. I apologize if I'm wrong, but I don't think I am, because it makes sense from the Pacers perspective and works via the CBA.

As for Edwards, I thought they used the James Jones trade exception ($1.3 million) to acquire him, so they had all of the one from the Johnson deal left.

no, they used the JJ exception to acquire Orien Greene. Most of the AJ exception was used on John Edwards to consumate the Harrington deal.

Anthem
01-17-2007, 08:10 PM
no, they used the JJ exception to acquire Orien Greene. Most of the AJ exception was used on John Edwards to consumate the Harrington deal.
Zactly.

There's no TE.

CableKC
01-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Until its official....which seems unlikely ( unless we were somehow involved in trade talks that allowed us to pick up a player that the TWolves, Nuggets or Clippers really wanted )...... can someone change the title of this thread?

Its really misleading.....

NorCal_Pacerfan
01-17-2007, 08:34 PM
I wish they would have traded Tinman, but I know that we need him until we can get a better PG. Maybe they can use the TE for a new PG. I can only hope.

Anthem
01-17-2007, 08:35 PM
Until its official....which seems unlikely ( unless we were somehow involved in trade talks that allowed us to pick up a player that the TWolves, Nuggets or Clippers really wanted )...... can someone change the title of this thread?

Its really misleading.....
If I was a lesser man, this is where I'd say "QFT."

But instead I'll say "I agree."

shags
01-17-2007, 08:52 PM
This actually works switching Diogu for McLeod in my earlier scenario (using ESPN's trade machine), and the Pacers have enough left from the Anthony Johnson trade exception to fit McLeod's salary (I didn't realize they used the Jones exception to get Greene). So, in theory, the Pacers could still get a TE for Saras.

But, I am asking to change the title. I would, but I'm guessing only a mod can do that. I apologize for making it misleading.

Anthem
01-17-2007, 09:10 PM
I apologize for making it misleading.
Ehh, it wasn't intentional. If we'd had space left on the old TE, it certainly would have worked.

sportsmusicxboxpacer
01-17-2007, 09:13 PM
i havent heard any TE in the trade help??

Kegboy
01-17-2007, 09:20 PM

<---

(Until MR makes me one in a GS jersey, it'll have to do. It does fit with Hicks comparing him to Reggie, though.)

Hicks
01-17-2007, 09:24 PM
Let me know what you'd like the title to be and I'll change it for you. But I think if you go to Thread Tools, Edit Thread, Perform Action, you can do it yourself.

able
01-17-2007, 10:01 PM

Exceptions are used in a trade, Green was claimed of waivers so not traded.
No exception involved.

(there are special rules for claiming players of waivers even if you are over the cap, but this is by recollection)

wintermute
01-17-2007, 11:06 PM
shags, in order for a pacers' trade exception to be generated, golden state should have been able to take back saras' salary for nothing in the first place. since warriors are not under the cap, they need to have a trade exception of their own to take back saras. is this so?

able, in my recollection there was an indystar article which stated that greene's contract was claimed off waivers using the jj trade exception, but i could be wrong.

blanket
01-17-2007, 11:28 PM
Exceptions are used in a trade, Green was claimed of waivers so not traded.
No exception involved.

(there are special rules for claiming players of waivers even if you are over the cap, but this is by recollection)

I'm just repeating what the press reported at the time (it was either Wells, Montieth, or Brunner).

Anthem
01-17-2007, 11:30 PM
shags, in order for a pacers' trade exception to be generated, golden state should have been able to take back saras' salary for nothing in the first place. since warriors are not under the cap, they need to have a trade exception of their own to take back saras. is this so?

able, in my recollection there was an indystar article which stated that greene's contract was claimed off waivers using the jj trade exception, but i could be wrong.
Correct on both counts.

SweetNSourPork
01-19-2007, 02:15 AM
yes, this is true.
Indy got a $4,000,000 T.E.
GS got a $2,137,200 T.E.

Hicks
01-19-2007, 10:58 AM
yes, this is true.
GS got a $2,137,200 T.E.

Do you have a link or source to back this up? Thanks.

indygeezer
01-19-2007, 11:04 AM
yes, this is true.
GS got a $2,137,200 T.E.

Now that's intriguing, BOTH teams end up with TE's out of this??? Was this run as 2 seperate trades? Wait! Are we under the cap? Otherwise, how can we create a TE if we aren't under the cap?

odeez
01-19-2007, 11:17 AM
WOW! That is great! Now use it!

Gyron
01-19-2007, 11:34 AM

V_D_G, give it a rest man. Please. It seems like every post you bring up that dang pick.

Slick Pinkham
01-19-2007, 01:42 PM
WOW! That is great! Now use it!

With the long-term payroll impact of Dun and Murphy, the chances of increasing the payroll and using the trade exception are somewhere between slim and none.

Maybe a tiny acquisition allowing to stay below the luxury tax threshold, but that is even very unlikely.

Anthem
01-19-2007, 05:55 PM
Do you have a link or source to back this up? Thanks.
Agreed. I can't see how this can be possible.

CableKC
01-19-2007, 06:09 PM
I'm surprised that no one has done it yet......but could someone please change the title of this thread?

Every time I see this thread get bumped...I think that there is some update where we actually have a TE ( much like how we found out days later that we got one as part of the Peja to NO trade ).

Charcoal Filtered
01-19-2007, 09:47 PM
1.35M for Mcleod, 2.137 for Diogu, 7.438 for Dunleavy and 8.285 for Murphy.

7.625 for Al, 6.12 for Jack, 4 for Runi, and 744k for Powell.

Add Al, Powell and Jack's, multiply by 125% and add 100k. The most that Golden State could have sent back is 18,211,938. They did not have a previous 4M exception and did not gain one hear since Murph and Dun make over 14M. There is no way they could have acquired Runi, so there is no 4M exception gained in that manner.

The JJ exemption was over a year ago and is no longer valid. The best that could have happened is if the AJ exeption was used on Diogu. The Pacers then would have gotten the difference between all players traded except Ike. That exemption would only be 1.4M.