PDA

View Full Version : Post Trade Press Conference Summary

Mr.ThunderMakeR
01-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Im not sure if this deserves its own thread so feel free to merge with one of the other trade threads if you want. I caught most of the press conference on nba.com and here are the points that stood out to me and should answer some peoples questions:

- TPTB felt there were two areas to address with the team as it was: rebounding and defending dribble penetration. They feel they have addressed rebounding with this trade.
Well they certainly didn't address stopping the dribble penetration at all.

- Don't assume that just because this trade was so big that they won't be making any more moves.
I sure hope they are looking to make more moves. This trade completely ignores are most glaring weakness: our backcourt. Heck you could even say it made the backcourt a little worse getting rid of Sarunas.

- JO is still untouchable. They are still trying to build around him and they feel that this trade brings in pieces that will fit around him better. Dunleavy should be able to spread the floor with his three point shooting and Murphy can step out to hit jumpers also.
As good as JO is playing this season, I actually believe TPTB now when they say JO is untouchable. I don't really know enough about the GS players to comment on them fitting around JO.

- Should open things up for Marquis and Granger to get more playing time. Expect to see some big lineups with Dunleavy possibly at point playing with Granger and Marquis. TPTB like the though of a playing two 6'9's and a 6'7 at the 1-3 positions.
I expect Marquis and Daniels to start. I don't think they were talking about Dunleavy starting at point, more like experimenting with a bigger lineup during the game to take advantage of smaller teams.

- Ike's going to be a big surprise and impress a lot of people.
Couldn't agree more. Being a current ASU student I've seen Ike play and the man is a beast. Some people felt he was undersized (read: a little short) to be a big man in the NBA but that hasn't been the case. He has plenty of strength and bulk to make up for the slight height disadvantage, not to mention his amazing post arsenal. I wish they would have commented on how this will affect Harrison but they didn't. They are both the same type of player though I don't think Ike has the foul problems that DH does. I hope that TPTB at least realize they REALLY need to bring in a big man coach now to help these guys develop.

aero
01-17-2007, 06:52 PM
as much as this trade shocked me, now that im letting it set in more i do indeed think its better for the Pacers. It just hurts :( Runi *crys*

Evan_The_Dude
01-17-2007, 07:42 PM
- TPTB felt there were two areas to address with the team as it was: rebounding and defending dribble penetration. They feel they have addressed rebounding with this trade.

Oh but they did address dribble penetration. As I've said in other threads, bringing in Dunleavy in addition to trading away Sarunas allows more minutes for Orien Greene to play point (likely with Dunleavy on the floor) so Greene can focus on defense -- which is his strength. Keith McLeod is a solid defender as well. He played a couple of years under Jerry Sloan. You don't go through Sloan's system and not pick something up from it.

I don't think people realize just how much better we got at defending dribble penetration. My only question is what did we lose on the defensive end by trading away Jackson?

Evan_The_Dude
01-17-2007, 07:43 PM
as much as this trade shocked me, now that im letting it set in more i do indeed think its better for the Pacers. It just hurts :( Runi *crys*

Runi is going to be playing for Mr. Uptempo himself Don Nelson. If he can't flourish in that system, he needs to go back overseas ASAP.

JayRedd
01-17-2007, 07:58 PM

I'd say Jack has easily been our best perimeter defender so far this year, so no, we certainly didn't get any better there. I agree that this will open up minutes for Daniels and possible Greene, so it could be addition by subtraction if TPTB really think these guys are up for the challenge....but Jack certainly wasn't traded for his lack of defense so far this year.

- Ike's going to be a big surprise and impress a lot of people.
Couldn't agree more. Being a current ASU student I've seen Ike play and the man is a beast. Some people felt he was undersized (read: a little short) to be a big man in the NBA but that hasn't been the case. He has plenty of strength and bulk to make up for the slight height disadvantage, not to mention his amazing post arsenal.

I second this sentiment. I couldn't be more psyched about getting Ike Diogu. The hardest thing to do nowadays in the NBA seems to be to get teams to give up their young, should-be studs. Well we just did that. We had to take on bad contracts to do it, but I would have rather had Ike Diogu on this squad than all of the four guys we gave up.

Getting solid, legit production from guys on rookie deals seems like a prerequisite for success in the NBA today. Now, we have both Danny and Ike. And we will pay them just over $10 for the next two and a half seasons. Combined.

For those who haven't seen this guy's work on the block, get ready to be very, very excited. Kid is a Swiss army knife in the paint---he'll slice you, cut you, saw you down....Hell, he'll even pick your teeth when he's done.

Not sure how that fits in with JO, but whatever. Cheap talent is cheap talent. It's nice to have some.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
01-18-2007, 01:36 AM
Expect to see some big lineups with Dunleavy possibly at point playing with Granger and Marquis. TPTB like the though of a playing two 6'9's and a 6'7 at the 1-3 positions.

I'm surprised noone has commented on this statement. I don't know Dunleavy too well but can he really play point guard, even for small spurts? He seems more like a shooting small forward to me. I actually hope he can. Ive felt that RC should have used bigger lineups more often this season. That sort of lineup would deffinitely force other teams to match-up to us instead of the other way around (which I always here people criticising RC for).

Haggard
01-18-2007, 08:51 AM
I'm surprised noone has commented on this statement. I don't know Dunleavy too well but can he really play point guard, even for small spurts? He seems more like a shooting small forward to me. I actually hope he can. Ive felt that RC should have used bigger lineups more often this season. That sort of lineup would deffinitely force other teams to match-up to us instead of the other way around (which I always here people criticising RC for).

It sounds more like the Western Allstars bragging about a possible 7 foot lineup with Yao, Duncan, Gasol in the frontcourt and Dirk and KG in the back court rather than a plausible and realistic lineup.