PDA

View Full Version : Jason Kidd on the Block?

Quis
01-16-2007, 01:19 PM
It's being reported that Jason Kidd is likely on the block.

He's that great point guard we've been looking for, although he'll be 34 in March.

What his trade value and would you like to see Indy make a move for him?

indyman37
01-16-2007, 01:24 PM
If he was a little bit younger I would do this in a heartbeat, but...

Frank Slade
01-16-2007, 01:24 PM
No Link ? :tsk:

Your :welcome:

No Kidding: Jason reportedly put on block

BY JULIAN GARCIA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

According to a report in the Chicago Tribune, one league GM, upon inquiring about the availability of Vince Carter, was asked by the Nets if he'd be interested in trading for Jason Kidd instead.

While Kidd's off-court life has been a mess lately, he has played some of the best basketball of his career. He had 19 points, 10 assists and nine rebounds in a 105-95 victory over the Pacers yesterday and has seven triple-doubles this season, by far the most in the league.

NYDaily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/489085p-411885c.html)

Quis
01-16-2007, 01:39 PM
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/9820/untitledht5.gif

Destined4Greatness
01-16-2007, 01:50 PM
Your kidding right Quis.

Quis
01-16-2007, 01:52 PM
Hardly.

Destined4Greatness
01-16-2007, 01:54 PM
WOW!

I would love to see us pull off a JO for Kidd straight up, not going to happen.

Quis
01-16-2007, 01:56 PM
WOW!

Trading 20/10 DPOY-caliber PF for a soon-to-be 34 year old PG wouldn't exactly be best for the Pacers present and future. But of course you have no life outside of PacersDigest trolling so you already knew that.

Destined4Greatness
01-16-2007, 01:59 PM
Trading 20/10 DPOY-caliber PF for a soon-to-be 34 year old PG wouldn't exactly be best for the Pacers present and future. But of course you have no life outside of PacersDigest trolling so you already knew that.

Your thinking JO with 3 years left on his deal is better than Kidd with 2 years left.

Your a funny man.

Quis
01-16-2007, 02:03 PM
Your thinking JO with 3 years left on his deal is better than Kidd with 2 years left.

Your a funny man.

I'm thinking nothing. However I am knowing JO in the prime of his career is better than Kidd on the downside of his career.

vapacersfan
01-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Seriously?

People are talking about trading JO for Kidd? Again?

JO who is finally start to get back to his MVP form that he was at a few season ago? Jason Kidd who has a couple of years left, if that?......

Look, I have no problem with trading JO, but if all we get back is Jason Kidd then Walsh and Bird had better resign on the spot.

Young
01-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Jason Kidd has been one of my favorite players to ever play the game. I'd love to have him on the Pacers.

Jason makes everyone around him better. He can still defend and rebound well too. IMO, in terms of playmakers, Jason and Steve are a level above the other point guards in the league. He would add a lot to this team.

I'd offer up Al, Stephen or Marquis, and Tinsley. The problem is that the Nets take on a lot of salary and not a lot of production.

I wouldn't give up Jermaine, Danny, or Shawne for Jason but other than those three anyone could go IMO. The trick is making all the salaries work out. I wouldn't want to have Jason Kidd and Jamaal Tinsley on the same team for instance.

Evan_The_Dude
01-16-2007, 03:10 PM
Seriously?

People are talking about trading JO for Kidd? Again?

JO who is finally start to get back to his MVP form that he was at a few season ago? Jason Kidd who has a couple of years left, if that?......

Look, I have no problem with trading JO, but if all we get back is Jason Kidd then Walsh and Bird had better resign on the spot.

Thank you. What would be the point of bringing in Kidd anyway if we don't keep J.O.? The purpose would be for us to bring in Kidd to place him along-side J.O. and a few other role players to compete for a Championship. J.O. is by far our best player right now. You don't trade your best player, and arguably our most important defensive player, for a guy that will probably retire in a year or two that has yet to win a ring. I'm sure if that deal went through Jason Kidd himself would be saying "WTF??!!"

FlavaDave
01-16-2007, 03:19 PM
Guessing by the gigantic hole at PF, the Nets might be into aquiring Al Harrington. Don't know about Tinsley because they clearly would be making room for Williams.

Considering the Pacer's lack of draft picks and expiring contracts, I bet it would take a trade of Harrington, Foster, and Williams to get it done. Don't know if it is worth it, but there it is.

Roferr
01-16-2007, 03:47 PM
Guessing by the gigantic hole at PF, the Nets might be into aquiring Al Harrington. Don't know about Tinsley because they clearly would be making room for Williams.

Considering the Pacer's lack of draft picks and expiring contracts, I bet it would take a trade of Harrington, Foster, and Williams to get it done. Don't know if it is worth it, but there it is.

All three are too much for Kidd. Any of the two should do it. Maybe swap Jax out for Williams and either Al or Jeff.

Kstat
01-16-2007, 03:49 PM
age in the NBA is overrated. there's a long list of players who have been effective well into their late 30's.

FlavaDave
01-16-2007, 03:52 PM
All three are too much for Kidd. Any of the two should do it. Maybe swap Jax out for Williams and either Al or Jeff.

I think either Foster and Jackson or Harrington and Jackson would get a "no way" from the Nets. They aren't dumping Kidd, they are trading him for assets.

vapacersfan
01-16-2007, 04:08 PM
FWIW, Kidd has been on the trading block a couple of times this season already.

All it take is one GM to call and ask about Vince Carter or anyone else, and the Nets say “What about Jason Kidd? What could you give us for him”

Then said team goes and tells X reporter, and all of the sudden we have Kidd on the block again.

Not saying I don’t believe he will be traded, but I don’t think the Nets are going to be in a rush to deal him.

I will say if we can make a deal that gets rid of Jackson (and even Tinsley if need be) in order to get Kidd I would be all for that.

Slick Pinkham
01-16-2007, 05:01 PM
age in the NBA is overrated. there's a long list of players who have been effective well into their late 30's.

and very few of them are starting guards.

That's one of the many things that made Reggie so special, along with Stockton and to a lesser extent Mark Jackson. Most hang on as overpaid vets with very diminished skills, like a Gary Payton, or accept a limited role, or retire by age 35.

Gyron
01-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Nevermind

Lord Helmet
01-16-2007, 05:37 PM
WOW!

Are you kidding me?

JO is 28, actually starting to show superstar form and you'd be fine with trading him for a soon to be 34 year old point guard.

That'd be the dumbest thing the Pacers could do right now.

Team Indy
01-16-2007, 07:37 PM
Jason Kidd has been one of my favorite players to ever play the game. I'd love to have him on the Pacers.

Jason makes everyone around him better. He can still defend and rebound well too. IMO, in terms of playmakers, Jason and Steve are a level above the other point guards in the league. He would add a lot to this team.

I'd offer up Al, Stephen or Marquis, and Tinsley. The problem is that the Nets take on a lot of salary and not a lot of production.

I wouldn't give up Jermaine, Danny, or Shawne for Jason but other than those three anyone could go IMO. The trick is making all the salaries work out. I wouldn't want to have Jason Kidd and Jamaal Tinsley on the same team for instance.

I was thinking along the same lines. Al, Jax/Quis, Tins and Harrison for Kidd and a bad Nets contract. They have a need for Al at PF, and could be intrigued by Harrison's potential. Tinsley would replace Kidd at the point while Jax/Quis would be help match salaries and play the 6th man role. Indy would start Granger and Rawle if Jax leaves, and leaves bench minutes for our supposedly deep bench. Saras, Rawle, Williams, Powell and Baston will all see minutes.

Anthem
01-16-2007, 08:06 PM
I've got to believe that Jason Kidd, on this team, would give us a shot at a title this year. Assuming we don't give up anything huge, I could really see it happen. I'm serious.

Something like this could work, especially if NJ throws in a pick.

:pray:

Anthem
01-16-2007, 08:13 PM
How could you not like this?

C - Foster / Baston
F - JO / Powell / M.Moore
F - Granger / Williams / Luke Jackson
G - Jack / Rawle / Wright
G - Kidd / Sarunas / DA / Greene

Yeah, Jermaine ends up playing a good bit of center, but I don't have a problem with that.

Quis
01-16-2007, 08:14 PM

And none of them had knees as bad as Jason Kidd's.

Anthem
01-16-2007, 08:16 PM
And none of them had knees as bad as Jason Kidd's.
I've got money that says Tinsley misses more games in the next 3 years than Jason Kidd.

Team Indy
01-16-2007, 08:46 PM

C - Foster / Baston

Yeah, Jermaine ends up playing a good bit of center, but I don't have a problem with that.

I like that lineup. I think Kidd can shoot 3s better and make better decisions than Tinsley while also being a better defender. Jack and Rawle can also play SF while Williams is slowly brought along. The main problem would still be 3 pt shooting, but Kidd takes quite a few threes.

However, I don't think NJ would trade Wright or Moore, players they are high on. Maybe players like Jason Collins, who they were shopping, Bernard Robinson, acquired to reduce payroll or Nachbar, who hasn't quite fit in but is playing better of late. Still, this is dependent on the Nets deciding their window with the big 3 has closed. Wouldn't mind Carter either.

Hicks
01-16-2007, 09:03 PM
I'm not for a JO for Kidd trade.

That said, those who are down on it mainly due to Kidd's age: You should not make moves in the NBA based on what you THINK (and in this league things change CONSTANTLY) is going to happen in 4-7 years. You should make moves based on the next 1-3 years tops. The only exception is if you're a basement team looking to completely rebuild. But if you're discussing a move that would make you a contender, or you think you're close to being one for whatever reason, you make moves for the IMMEDIATE future, not the distant (4-7 years) future.

The NBA is constantly in flux. Do what's best for the near-future, not the impossible to predict distant future. And yes, in this league 4+ years is distant.

Evan_The_Dude
01-16-2007, 09:11 PM
Hold on a second. You mean to tell me I'm the only one wondering what GM called about the availability of Vince Carter?

PacerMan
01-16-2007, 09:29 PM
WOW!

LOL, thank goodness for that.

PacerMan
01-16-2007, 09:32 PM

LATE 30's huh?

Go ahead.

Will Galen
01-16-2007, 09:34 PM

C - Foster / Baston

It's a 'homer' trade.

Harrington, Tinsley, Harrison, and Quis are hardly enough for Kidd, NJ isn't going to throw in Moore and Wright. Especially Wright!

And why have you got Luke Jackson in there?

PacerMan
01-16-2007, 09:35 PM

C - Foster / Baston

I don't like it. You've gutted our young talent for one shot at the crown this year. And I don't see that happening with Jackson as our 2. Kidd's not an outside shooter either.

PacerMan
01-16-2007, 09:35 PM
I've got money that says Tinsley misses more games in the next 3 years than Jason Kidd.

I'd take a piece of that.

Frank Slade
01-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Some of this is related to Kidd's current situation with the Nets. Some of it is in regards to the impending divorce.

You should read it when you get a chance :eyebrow:

It had gotten so bad with the Nets that, just two weeks ago, Thorn called every team in the league and inquired about whom they might be willing to trade for one of his stars, including Vince Carter, Richard Jefferson and Jason Kidd. As one Eastern Conference executive says, "Kidd is virtually untradeable," because of his advanced age (33), and contract ($41 million in the next two years of his contract). Nevertheless, Thorn understood how deep of a division that had been drilled into his locker room.

At one point, Thorn believed the chemistry could be beyond repair. Now, he has come to believe that if the Nets can just survive the barrage of the divorce complaint and tabloid fervor, there may be a chance of salvaging the season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AltuTeRj_V7fZigrpawapd.8vLYF?slug=aw-kidds011607&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Anthem
01-16-2007, 10:04 PM
It's a 'homer' trade.

Harrington, Tinsley, Harrison, and Quis are hardly enough for Kidd, NJ isn't going to throw in Moore and Wright. Especially Wright!
I obviously haven't watched the Nets enough. I just picked the two of the smallest salaries they have. Swap in Eddie House if you like.[

Because we'd have an extra roster spot and we could use a shooter.

Anthem
01-16-2007, 10:05 PM
I don't like it. You've gutted our young talent for one shot at the crown this year. And I don't see that happening with Jackson as our 2. Kidd's not an outside shooter either.
Neither is Tinsley.

Come on, man, you're against any move at all that involves Al Harrington. It's ok, just admit it.

Will Galen
01-16-2007, 10:29 PM
I obviously haven't watched the Nets enough. I just picked the two of the smallest salaries they have. Swap in Eddie House if you like.

Because we'd have an extra roster spot and we could use a shooter.

House might work for NJ. As for Luke Jackson he's currently a Clipper.

BlueNGold
01-16-2007, 10:45 PM
It's a 'homer' trade.

I thought the same thing. Thorn is one of the smartest guys in the business. However, it will be very difficult to move Kidd because of his contract and the stage of his career. Some teams are rebuilding with young guys and will not take him on for fear they won't be able to resign players. Other teams already have good PG's and are looking to fill other holes. The only teams that will pick him up are veteran teams who want to replace their PG and feel like they are prepared to make a run. I think the Pacers fit in that category. The real question is, do we have the assets to make the deal. I think it will take some of our younger talent, including Williams...along with Harrison, Harrington and Quis. I don't see them wanting to touch Tinsley.

Kstat
01-16-2007, 11:10 PM
LATE 30's huh?

Go ahead.

Karl Malone, John Stockton, Moses Malone, Kevin Willis, Dale Davis, Alonzo Mourning, Cliff Robinson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Dennis Rodman, Reggie Miller, Robert Parish, Michael Jordan, David Robinson, Mark Jackson off the top of my head.

pacerwaala
01-16-2007, 11:13 PM
One can only hope - that we can trade Sjax and Al Harrington for JKidd (and whatever add ons to make the salaries match) to get Jason Kidd. Jason Kidd took the freaking nets to the NBA finals twice with nothing (it was a weak eastern conference but still!)

He is just a complete player - defends very well. He is such a good defender that I have seen him guard the opposing team's featured 2 guard (like Kobe, Reggie, Ray allen, etc) on crucial posessions. He rebounds very well and plays the right way. He is very unselfish and dishes them out like nobody's business.

He does not take plays off, does not whine and has a high level of concentration and discipline. He just is a breath of fresh air and gives confidence to his teammates and makes them better. We get him and he give us a good shot at the championship for the next two years.

Get it done Donnie!

As far as JO for JKidd, that idea is a bunch of crock IMHO.

CableKC
01-16-2007, 11:49 PM
If we could do it without losing JONeal, Foster and either Granger or Harrington....I would do it....Kidd would transform this team into a contender for the next 2 to 3 seasons.....but given the size of Kidd's contract...its hard to put together a deal that would make sense for both sides.

rexnom
01-16-2007, 11:50 PM
Kidd here would be the exact spark we would need, I don't care about his contract...I want to win...

Seth...we need an anti-jinx...

Anthem
01-17-2007, 12:28 AM
As for Luke Jackson he's currently a Clipper.
Well I'm obviously watching the NBA less these days.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
01-17-2007, 12:48 AM
Good God I would love to get Jason Kidd. Very few trade rumors ever get me excited at all but this is the exception. Im so sick of our weak backcourt that Id be more than willing to take a risk on an aging JKidd. And its not like his career is winding down yet.

Im pretty sure I heard the other night that he has more triple doubles right now then the rest of the league combined.

CableKC
01-17-2007, 12:59 AM
Unfortunately, just like when it came to AI.......we only have one of pre-requisites ( a prospect....Granger ) that a team like the Nets would want when trading one of the best PGs in the league.....we don't have the other two....Draft picks and huge expiring Contracts.

Fireball Kid
01-17-2007, 01:41 AM
WOW!

I thank the lord and Saviour that you are not the GM of my team.

Jose Slaughter
01-17-2007, 01:50 AM
Miami seems like a good place.

Jason Williams, James Posey, Udonis Haslem & a pick for Kidd & filler

Williams has just 2 years remaining, Posey is an ending contract & Haslem is the PF they covet. Thow in a #1 & its a no-brainer.

Robertmto
01-17-2007, 03:48 AM
Miami seems like a good place.

Jason Williams, James Posey, Udonis Haslem & a pick for Kidd & filler

Williams has just 2 years remaining, Posey is an ending contract & Haslem is the PF they covet. Thow in a #1 & its a no-brainer.

Posey wouldn't pass the physical.

FlavaDave
01-17-2007, 09:15 AM
I'm not for a JO for Kidd trade.

That said, those who are down on it mainly due to Kidd's age: You should not make moves in the NBA based on what you THINK (and in this league things change CONSTANTLY) is going to happen in 4-7 years. You should make moves based on the next 1-3 years tops. The only exception is if you're a basement team looking to completely rebuild. But if you're discussing a move that would make you a contender, or you think you're close to being one for whatever reason, you make moves for the IMMEDIATE future, not the distant (4-7 years) future.

The NBA is constantly in flux. Do what's best for the near-future, not the impossible to predict distant future. And yes, in this league 4+ years is distant.

It is that kind of thinking that led to the horrible season that the 76ers are having (thanks to Chris Webber). That's also the kind of thinking that will stunt the growth of the Hornets and Bulls in two years (when Peja and Wallace are old and more expensive).

Hicks
01-17-2007, 10:38 AM
It is that kind of thinking that led to the horrible season that the 76ers are having (thanks to Chris Webber). That's also the kind of thinking that will stunt the growth of the Hornets and Bulls in two years (when Peja and Wallace are old and more expensive).

I'm not saying it isn't a gamble. But I think it's what you have to do. Don't make an obviously stupid move, take the one that has the (by all appearances) the best chance of succeeding, and go for it.

golstarr99
01-17-2007, 11:16 AM
Jason Kidd is great and all but he's like 34 and he's not that good of a shooter anymore. We already have a young PG who is not even at his prime and is playing healthy this season and he can eventually be a top 5 PG in the NBA and is already a top 10 PG. I know there's a lot of Tinsley hating but as Reggie Miller said, the Pacers go as far as there is a healthy Tinsley and Tinsley is the man. He hasn't shown the signs of being "injury prone" this season as people proclaim.

Frank Slade
01-17-2007, 11:21 AM
just some excerpts of a larger article from today.

Ken Berger
NBA

Even Kidd can be had

January 17, 2007

Unfortunately, there is a real chance that Kidd will wind up in another city - not just a borough - before that realization has a chance to take hold.

Nets president Rod Thorn wouldn't comment yesterday on a report that the Nets recently tossed Kidd's name into their evolving trade discussions.

"Any conversation I've had about a player is a confidential conversation," Thorn said. "That's how I look at it. Obviously, there are some people who don't look that way at conversations like that."

Although the Nets have won six of eight after fighting through a woeful start while beset by injuries, Thorn hasn't stopped picking up his phone with the trade deadline a little more than a month away.

"Jason's been in the league a long time," Thorn said. "And he knows that sometimes what's written has a basis in truth and sometimes it's mere speculation."

But when the Chicago Tribune reported Sunday that a general manager who called the Nets to inquire about Vince Carter instead was asked about his interest in Kidd, it smelled a lot more like truth than speculation

Although Thorn isn't ready to do anything drastic yet, he made it clear that no player on his roster is untouchable. That includes Kidd, whose inspired play since filing for divorce from his wife of 10 years, Joumana, might wind up making him more valuable as a trade pawn.

For a clue as to which teams would be hottest for Kidd, just look at who was fawning over Allen Iverson a few weeks ago.

The Pacers, Celtics and Heat need a point guard. Kidd would lift the Clippers or Kings off the doormat or make the Lakers challengers in the West.

The Nets already have Kidd's replacement, rookie Marcus Williams, so they'd want a big man in return. Given that Kidd turns 34 in March and is due $41 million over the next two seasons, a potential suitor's desperation to win would have to collide with the Nets' desire to get younger and less burdened by distractions.

Most NBA trade rumors, as Thorn correctly points out, prove to be fiction. "But every now and then," he said, "deals are made."

And every now and then, a deal is made for a future Hall of Famer who in many ways is playing his best in his 13th season -

If Thorn decides to go for a big shakeup in advance of the team's move to Brooklyn in a couple of years, the reasons would be basketball-related. And the smart time to do it would be now.

"If there's a big deal that makes sense, we'll pursue it," Thorn said. "If there's a little deal that makes sense, we'll pursue it ... Obviously, there are players that you would [be] loath to trade. But if the right deal comes up, then that's part of the business."

Newsday (http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition/ny-spberg175055735jan17,0,3654086.column?coll=ny-sports-print)

rexnom
01-17-2007, 11:53 AM
The difference is, we're not signing Kidd to a seven-year deal...In two or three years we can be rid of his contract and JO's contract and totally build over from scratch like some people on here would like.

golstarr99
01-17-2007, 12:12 PM
The difference is, we're not signing Kidd to a seven-year deal...In two or three years we can be rid of his contract and JO's contract and totally build over from scratch like some people on here would like.

And be a lottery team? Thank god Donnie is our GM and not some people with simplistic mindsets who think they are Mr. Know-it-Alls. Donnie is the best the business has to offer.

odeez
01-17-2007, 12:25 PM
The first thing here is age should not be used when judging Jason Kidd. He is one of the greatest point guards of all time. So give repsect to the man and his numbers before you talk about his age. I think we should go and try to get him, as long as the price isn't too high. I know his shooting is spotty, but he will make everyone else better on this team and their numbers will go up. He will be a leader not only on the floor but in the locker room. I do have to pause when I think of him and DA being our point guards, but never mind that, this is Jason Kidd. I personally think he has at least 3-4 more good years left.

odeez
01-17-2007, 12:34 PM
I read the below paragraph in the Newsday article off of Hoopshype. I thought it really brought together how well Kidd is doing this year. I had no idea...go get him now!

And every now and then, a deal is made for a future Hall of Famer who in many ways is playing his best in his 13th season - at a time when his personal life is a mess. A court hearing today that Jason and Joumana Kidd were expected to attend was adjourned yesterday, without being rescheduled. That is good for the Nets, who will be playing in Charlotte tonight - and probably watching Kidd put up the 83rd triple-double of his amazing career. Kidd's 9.4 assists are his highest average since his first season with the Nets (2001-02). He hasn't shot this well from the field - 42.4 percent - since 1998-99 in Phoenix. His 8.4 rebounds are the best of his career.

- from Newsday

FlavaDave
01-17-2007, 12:51 PM

That is a strategy. However, that might be too long to wait to best take advantage of Danny Granger.

But I see what you are saying, and that's not a terrible idea.

FlavaDave
01-17-2007, 12:53 PM
Another option is trying to get a third team involved who is trying to aquire Kidd. The Pacers can go to them and say "hey, you need a point guard. how about Tinsley?" I think that some teams who are desperate for point guard help would be willing to throw in an expiring contract for Tinsley if they didn't have the ammo to get Kidd.

ChicagoJ
01-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Karl Malone, John Stockton, Moses Malone, Kevin Willis, Dale Davis, Alonzo Mourning, Cliff Robinson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Dennis Rodman, Reggie Miller, Robert Parish, Michael Jordan, David Robinson, Mark Jackson off the top of my head.

Perhaps you need to give up being "Kstatless."

Malone - yes, but he's a big man.
Stockton - yes, and as a guard, an exception to the rule.
Mo Malone - no, he played a total of 83 games in the three seasons after he turned 35.
Willis - Continued to play well in a significantly reduced role until he was 38/39, and played well in a very limited role after that. Regardless, he was (1) a big man, and (2) not tying up a huge portion of the salary cap
Dale Davis - have the search-and-rescue team found him? He's only 36, and he may hang on for several more seasons in a limited role. Again, big man.
Zo - Big man, playing very well in a reduced role
Uncle Cliff - Big man, played very, very well in a reduced role
Kareem - Big man
Rodman - A whopping 35 games, and lots of off-court problems, after he turned 36, so no.
Reggie - a guard, an exception to the rule
Parish - Big man, played well in a reduced role
Jordan - a guard, an exception to the rule. Now that you mention it, if Kidd takes a year or two as "retirement" at the end of this contract, I'd love for him to make a two or three season comeback with the Pacers.
D-Rob, Big man, played well in a reduced role and could've played longer, IMO.
Mark Jackson - Turned 35 after he left the Pacers, and played well for several more seasons in a reduced role.

For every Stockton, Reggie, and Mark Jackson, there are dozens of Tim Hardaways, Isiah Thomases, Rod Stricklands, Kevin Johnsons, etc. that are just unable to play beyond their early-to-mid thirties.

http://www.basketballreference.com/teams/teamscores.htm?tm=GSW&yr=1993&lg=N

Unless a player has tremendous health, it seems to me that 1,000 games in a career is a pretty good benchmark for a top-caliber PG. A couple are way over 1,000 games, like Jackson and Stockton, and many other excellent PGs didn't get to 1,000. You gave four guards on your list, and only two of them were PGs. It may be true that a number of big men have played well into their late thirties, but its much less likely for a guard.

PS - Look at the guys on the rebounds list:

http://www.rauzulusstreet.com/basketball/nbarecords/careerrebounds.htm

Many of the players on that list played in over 1,200 games. That's about 2.5 seasons longer for the rebounders (presumably big men) than for the assistants (presumably guards).

rexnom
01-17-2007, 01:28 PM
And be a lottery team? Thank god Donnie is our GM and not some people with simplistic mindsets who think they are Mr. Know-it-Alls. Donnie is the best the business has to offer.
Your world frightens and confuses me! Sometimes the honking horns of your traffic make me want to get out of my BMW.. and run off into the hills, or wherever.. Sometimes when I get a message on my fax machine, I wonder: "Did little demons get inside and type it?" I don't know! My simplistic mindset can't grasp these concepts. But there is one thing I do know and that is that every angle should be examined when approaching a deal and that's all I did. Not saying I am for blowing up the team. Just explaining how getting Kidd wouldn't really be mortgaging our future. Personally, I don't see how we'll be getting anyone as good as JO in the draft any time soon.

Mourning
01-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Jason Kidd is great and all but he's like 34 and he's not that good of a shooter anymore. We already have a young PG who is not even at his prime and is playing healthy this season and he can eventually be a top 5 PG in the NBA and is already a top 10 PG. I know there's a lot of Tinsley hating but as Reggie Miller said, the Pacers go as far as there is a healthy Tinsley and Tinsley is the man. He hasn't shown the signs of being "injury prone" this season as people proclaim.

No way Tins is a top-10 PG. His decision-making weakenesses, defense, shooting and mental weakeness to stay out of one-on-one provocations make sure of that.

We might be dependant on Tins, but that's only because we don't have another starting quality PG, some nice backups, NO starters. IF we replace Tins with another starter we would be better off.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Shade
01-17-2007, 04:02 PM
With the GS trade, we just added a lot of frontcourt players, which the Nets sorely need, and some high slary as well... :chin:

Anthem
01-17-2007, 04:04 PM
With the GS trade, we just added a lot of frontcourt players, which the Nets sorely need, and some high slary as well... :chin:
I was thinking the same thing.

It would have to happen pretty quickly, though.

Shade
01-17-2007, 04:28 PM
Foster, Murphy, and Tins for Kidd. NJ gets two good frontcourt players and a good replacement at the point. Think they would bite?

Anthem
01-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Foster, Murphy, and Tins for Kidd. NJ gets two good frontcourt players and a good replacement at the point. Think they would bite?
Heck, I'd throw in Harrison! :D