PDA

View Full Version : How do you think Bird would handle the challenges of this roster if he were coach?

brich
01-15-2007, 02:57 PM
I am just wondering how Larry would react to Jax jawing at him during a game, or some of the frustrations that players have aired in the media. I know Larry relied on RC and his other assistants with game strategy and X's and O's, but based on reading his books, it seems like he tried to draw from Bill Fitch, who seemed to be more of a disciplinarian type coach. Some of this also might not be a fair comparison, because Bird being the iconic figure that he is, might draw more respect from players then RC.

It would be interesting because Bird himself called out his fellow Celtics to the media before, and he got into a few skirmishes during his career also. I think he would have the guys on a shorter leash, although he showed surprising patience with Ron Artest. I think Runi would be playing more, at point guard, and he would be pushing the up-tempo offense more.

It is funny, I never really thought of Larry by himself, as being a great coach. I always thought that he relied heavily on his assistants, and RC was definitely one of the main guys he leaned on. On the other hand, that might be what made him a good coach, the fact that he surrounded himself with a good staff. He knew what his strengths were, and he delegated to his assistants what he knew to be his weaknesses. Either way, he got us to the NBA finals, so he deserved some credit.

BlueNGold
01-15-2007, 03:14 PM
I am just wondering how Larry would react to Jax jawing at him during a game, or some of the frustrations that players have aired in the media. I know Larry relied on RC and his other assistants with game strategy and X's and O's, but based on reading his books, it seems like he tried to draw from Bill Fitch, who seemed to be more of a disciplinarian type coach. Some of this also might not be a fair comparison, because Bird being the iconic figure that he is, might draw more respect from players then RC.

It would be interesting because Bird himself called out his fellow Celtics to the media before, and he got into a few skirmishes during his career also. I think he would have the guys on a shorter leash, although he showed surprising patience with Ron Artest. I think Runi would be playing more, at point guard, and he would be pushing the up-tempo offense more.

It is funny, I never really thought of Larry by himself, as being a great coach. I always thought that he relied heavily on his assistants, and RC was definitely one of the main guys he leaned on. On the other hand, that might be what made him a good coach, the fact that he surrounded himself with a good staff. He knew what his strengths were, and he delegated to his assistants what he knew to be his weaknesses. Either way, he got us to the NBA finals, so he deserved some credit.

The players had to have respect for him. He also has a mean streak, definitely has a back bone and would not be intimidated by the players. He would bark right back at them. You can be sure, you would do it his way or you would be on the bench.

Naptown_Seth
01-15-2007, 04:24 PM
He would bring in Rick as his assistant and ask him what he should do. Then he would stand on the sidelines showing no emotional reaction.

You know, pretty much like it is right now. Rose maybe didn't get as heated as Jackson on the court, but I feel certain that in day to day terms Jackson is listening to and trying to implement the system a lot more than Rose ever did.

I see one key difference, great set of good shooting vets led by one of the best coach-on-the-court and passing PGs ever to play the game, and a bunch of guys who had been pretty stable at the core for years and knew each other's game inside and out. No massiver turnover, no year suspensions, etc.

As much as some fans don't like Jackson and Tinsley, I just don't see how anyone couldn't think that if JO, Jack, Tins, Granger, Foster, perhaps Al and Shawne were all still playing together in 4 years that they wouldn't have killer chemistry and be winning above their talent rather than perhaps below it at times.

Map out 95-96-97 and what do you see, tough ECF loss, 1st round upset, no playoffs.

Map out 04-05-06 and what do you see, tough ECF loss, 2nd round loss, 1st round loss.

The team that became great with Bird was first struggling to stabalize, especially when Brown decided it was time to F things up and moved Jackson. I'm not saying ECF loss this year, but I am saying that relative to what the 2K team did, this team still has 2 more letdowns to go before they "owe" anyone a Finals appearance, Bird or otherwise.

Hard to see him fixing this team to be honest. Seems to me that RC is already perhaps doing that. They sure look a lot better than they did to end the season last year.

Kstat
01-15-2007, 04:27 PM
He'd retire and move to the front office.

Former legends like bird and magic aren't X's and O's guys, they're managers. They know how a big NBA ego works better than anyone. They're also much better suited to veteran clubs. You saw that with Bird on the Pacers and Magic on the Lakers. I really don't think Bird was that much better of a coach than Magic, it's just that Magic tried to coach disrespectful kids and Larry had vets who respected him enough to follow him.

I think Larry would lose all his hair after 20 games of coaching stephen jackson.

BlueNGold
01-15-2007, 05:46 PM
He would bring in Rick as his assistant and ask him what he should do. Then he would stand on the sidelines showing no emotional reaction.

You know, pretty much like it is right now. Rose maybe didn't get as heated as Jackson on the court, but I feel certain that in day to day terms Jackson is listening to and trying to implement the system a lot more than Rose ever did.

I see one key difference, great set of good shooting vets led by one of the best coach-on-the-court and passing PGs ever to play the game, and a bunch of guys who had been pretty stable at the core for years and knew each other's game inside and out. No massiver turnover, no year suspensions, etc.

As much as some fans don't like Jackson and Tinsley, I just don't see how anyone couldn't think that if JO, Jack, Tins, Granger, Foster, perhaps Al and Shawne were all still playing together in 4 years that they wouldn't have killer chemistry and be winning above their talent rather than perhaps below it at times.

Map out 95-96-97 and what do you see, tough ECF loss, 1st round upset, no playoffs.

Map out 04-05-06 and what do you see, tough ECF loss, 2nd round loss, 1st round loss.

The team that became great with Bird was first struggling to stabalize, especially when Brown decided it was time to F things up and moved Jackson. I'm not saying ECF loss this year, but I am saying that relative to what the 2K team did, this team still has 2 more letdowns to go before they "owe" anyone a Finals appearance, Bird or otherwise.

Hard to see him fixing this team to be honest. Seems to me that RC is already perhaps doing that. They sure look a lot better than they did to end the season last year.

I like the optimism, but this particular group of players is nothing like Reggie, Mark, Rick, Dale and Derrick. Too many of our players are too much like Stephon Marbury or Ron Artest (oops). There is too much selfishness on this team and the pieces do not fit together. We do not have a decent C. That squad had Dale and Rick. We do not have a decent PG. Our shooting is nothing like it was. We had the ultimate clutch player in Reggie. We had guys with character and maturity. We had toughness with Dale Davis. We had leadership with Mark and even Reggie to some extent. Is it any wonder we had such a great team?

This Pacer team has some talent, but will be broken up and rebuilt before it even gets to the ECF again.

ChicagoJ
01-15-2007, 05:53 PM
He'd retire and move to the front office.

Former legends like bird and magic aren't X's and O's guys, they're managers. They know how a big NBA ego works better than anyone. They're also much better suited to veteran clubs. You saw that with Bird on the Pacers and Magic on the Lakers. I really don't think Bird was that much better of a coach than Magic, it's just that Magic tried to coach disrespectful kids and Larry had vets who respected him enough to follow him.

I think Larry would lose all his hair after 20 games of coaching stephen jackson.

But Carlisle's biggest problem is that, while he's a great X's and O's guy, he's a lousy (at best) manager. AND he seems to have a roster full of disrespectful kids. Bad combo.

Kstat
01-15-2007, 06:03 PM
Yeah, but carlisle at least has the stomache to bench people.

Cherokee
01-15-2007, 07:58 PM

I'm not sure that Jackson wouldn't be the one losing his hair, especially when Larry went after him!

Kstat
01-15-2007, 08:01 PM
I don't think Larry could take on Fred Hoiberg right now as bad as his back is.

Cherokee
01-15-2007, 08:04 PM
I don't think Larry could take on Fred Hoiberg right now as bad as his back is.

Good point.