PDA

View Full Version : Mavs vs Pacers post game thread

Unclebuck
01-12-2007, 10:45 PM
Just got back from the game and for the first time this season I can say, now that was an NBA basketball game, that was a real NBA game and a really good game. If you want me to complain I'm going to disappoint you.

Pacers played really well - they didn't play perfectly - but they played a really good game.

The pick and roll the Mavs run with Dirk and Jason Terry is murder to defend, just ask the Spurs or Suns. And then you have Josh Howard sneaking in there and getting offensive rebounds and other stuff, the Mavs are tough to defend late in game. Plus they seem to get a few calls, but I'm not going to dwell on that. Mavs do a great job defensive rebounding they really block out.

One play the Pacers ran tonight that resulted in three turnovers was the pick and roll with Jeff and either JT or Jax. I don't know if it is Jeff's fault or the ball handler. But Jeff rolls to the basket and Jackson twice tonight and JT once tonight evidently thought Jeff was going to spot up from 15 feet. Do we want Jeff spotting up from 15 feet?

Granger played an excellent game, I just wished he would have gotten more shots.

Was Al even on ther floor tonight - I'm not blaming him, but we need more from him. If he's supposed to be our second best player - then we are in trouble.

Some might complain about JT taking too many shots late in the 4th - but I'm not going to. Most of the time he had to create something because the Mavs took us out of the play and someone had to do something. So I'm not going to complain about JT tonight

One thing that concerned me is with about 4 minutes to go in the third quarter I looked on the floor and the pacers were dead tired and the Mavs seemed to be getting stronger - if you would have asked me right then I would have said the Mavs would win by 10.

I also need to mention Daniels tonight - he was superb.

Overall I'm very encouraged by the game tonight and it was a great game to see in person. Now that was real NBA basketball game

Reason why the Pacers lost: Mavs are a better team, Pacers defense just wasn't good enough, they couldn't defend without fouling and they gave up a few key offensive rebounds.

Just for the record: Yes Rick told Al to try and miss the second free throw and I have to assume that Al tried to miss it

01-12-2007, 10:57 PM
I think they did a marvelous job against the best team in the NBA tho!

But still, "It takes a Ninja to beat a Ninja" or how was it? :) It takes a consistant shooter / clutch player to beat another consistant shooter / scorer/ clutch player (Dirk).

They suffer & will suffer against good teams like these. They have what it takes but the P´s really need that guy to close the deal, that pure consistant shooter / clutch player that you can just say to "Here, score me a winning basket". Clutchness my friends....

JayRedd
01-12-2007, 11:01 PM
The pick and roll the Mavs run with Dirk and Jason Terry is murder to defend, just ask the Spurs or Suns.

Agreed. We just don't have the quickness on defense to stop that, and no one has a defender to even contain Dirk in that situation. He really has evolved into something special.

It wasn't a pick-and-roll situation, but on the Mavs possesion right after Danny hit that big three with 3 or 4 minutes left, Dirk had the ball at the top of the key and Danny was all fired up guarding him with his hands waving all over the place. Dirk just kind of stood there holding the ball and waited for Danny to stop waving his hands around like E. Honda and proceded to drill the three with a look on his face like "Ahh...That's cute. Keep your head up, slugger."

One play the Pacers ran tonight that resulted in three turnovers was the pick and roll with Jeff and either JT or Jax. I don't know if it is Jeff's fault or the ball handler. But Jeff rolls to the basket and Jackson twice tonight and JT once tonight evidently thought Jeff was going to spot up from 15 feet. Do we want Jeff spotting up from 15 feet?

I really, really want to see more pick and rolls. I really, really do not want to see us continue to run it with Jeff as the screener 75% of the time, however. I have no idea what kind of advantage or mismatch that could possibly provide our offense. WHY DON'T WE RUN THE PICK AND ROLL WITH JO AND TINSLEY!!! Somebody call Rick Carlisle and get an answer to this question. Isn't JO one of the best big men from mid-range in the NBA? Isn't he uber-athletic and able to finish in a multitude of ways rolling to the hoop? Can't Jamaal get to the hoop well? Can't Jamaal hit the pull-up J?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. And I invented the piano-key necktie.

Was Al even on ther floor tonight - I'm not blaming him, but we need more from him. If he's supposed to be our second best player - then we are in trouble.

:puke:

Evan_The_Dude
01-12-2007, 11:03 PM
I was at the game too. Enjoyed the hell out of it. I think Al is extremely expendable right now. We could use him along with someone else to get someone in a position that we're hurting in more. I don't think Al is a bad player, he just doesn't fit in with this team -- at all.

Other than that you gotta admit, my 'Guess The Score' prediction was pretty damn strong...

Pacers 113
Mavs 109

In overtime

Talk about 2 for 1...

Unclebuck
01-12-2007, 11:05 PM
I was shocked to hear that only 15,900 tickets sold, I'm usually pretty good at guessing how many tickets are sold and I would have guessed in the low 17,000's. Didn't look like a lot of empty seats to me

Evan_The_Dude
01-12-2007, 11:10 PM
I was shocked to hear that only 15,900 tickets sold, I'm usually pretty good at guessing how many tickets are sold and I would have guessed in the low 17,000's. Didn't look like a lot of empty seats to me

Yeah it seemed pretty packed in there tonight. I don't make it to every home game, but I've been to many of them. I know they don't use pyro in every game for player introductions, or have I just not been paying attention in the past?

MaHa3000
01-12-2007, 11:10 PM
I think they did a marvelous job against the best team in the NBA tho!

But still, "It takes a Ninja to beat a Ninja" or how was it? :) It takes a consistant shooter / clutch player to beat another consistant shooter / scorer/ clutch player (Dirk).

They suffer & will suffer against good teams like these. They have what it takes but the P´s really need that guy to close the deal, that pure consistant shooter / clutch player that you can just say to "Here, score me a winning basket". Clutchness my friends....

Agreed
Granger and Williams, I think can be clutch shooters/scores when their time comes, but right now???? JO and Jackson??? sometimes

But I agree with UB, good game. And the Pacers are the first team to force the Mavs into overtime.... well, they forced us into overtime..... whatever, Pacers competed.

Unclebuck
01-12-2007, 11:12 PM
Yeah it seemed pretty packed in there tonight. I don't make it to every home game, but I've been to many of them. I know they don't use pyro in every game for player introductions, or have I just not been paying attention in the past?

First time I've seen it this season - although I wasn't at the home opener - and I'm sure they used some in that game

TheDon
01-12-2007, 11:15 PM
I'm a lot more calm about the situation now after, still blame the refs for this loss nothing anyone can say is going to change that. The one play though that ticked me off the worse was we were up by one Jason Terry practically walks into the paint and just nonchalantly hits a mid-range jumper to put them up ahead again by one...big wtf on that play.

Jermaniac
01-12-2007, 11:22 PM
The refs cost us this game, call after call after call. Mavs just kept getting calls that were nowhere to be seen. If they gave us those calls then I wouldnt mind them getting them either, but to see Nowitzki jump in the air to shoot the ball, and JO duck out the way and not touch him AT ALL, and Dirk got the 2 FT's showed me what kind of agenda the refs had for this game.

TWICE Danny Granger was fouled on game winning basket chances, TWICE. Way to go refs and the NBA show what your league is about, if a team has a better record then a certain team then it means you cheat for the with the better record. Let it be known NBA.

JayRedd
01-12-2007, 11:28 PM
The refs cost us this game, call after call after call. Mavs just kept getting calls that were nowhere to be seen. If they gave us those calls then I wouldnt mind them getting them either, but to see Nowitzki jump in the air to shoot the ball, and JO duck out the way and not touch him AT ALL, and Dirk got the 2 FT's showed me what kind of agenda the refs had for this game.

He touched his elbow. Dirk leaned into it, surely, but there was a little bit of contact. Dirk gets that call 9 times out of 10. And so did Reggie. It sucks because Dirk intiated the contact, but JO did bite on the fake and jump into the air, and Dirk just did what all savvy superstars have done for decades: He leaned in and forced the ref to call to make the call.

TWICE Danny Granger was fouled on game winning basket chances, TWICE.

Those were both pretty bad.

Unclebuck
01-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Was Granger fouled - take the emotion out of it. I didn't have a good angle from where I sit at the games, and they didn't show replay. Seemed to me that Howard had a clean block in OT, did he cleanly block the one at the end of regulation? Please be unbiased

MaHa3000
01-12-2007, 11:34 PM
Was Granger fouled - take the emotion out of it. I didn't have a good angle from where I sit at the games, and they didn't show replay. Seemed to me that Howard had a clean block in OT, did he cleanly block the one at the end of regulation? Please be unbiased

In my opion it was a foul or a "Play on" . the one in OT was a foul.( Buckner said so)

Jermaniac
01-12-2007, 11:34 PM
And if JO doesnt hurt his ankle in those last few minutes of the game, we are talking about how great of a win this was. That soft dude they call a PF couldnt do anything to JO.

BlueNGold
01-12-2007, 11:35 PM
TWICE Danny Granger was fouled on game winning basket chances, TWICE. Way to go refs and the NBA show what your league is about, if a team has a better record then a certain team then it means you cheat for the with the better record. Let it be known NBA.

Granger regularly gets fouled under the bucket without getting the call. Someday that will change.

Although not terrible officiating, I found the Pacers got the short end of the stick tonight. If the questionable calls had gone the other way, I think we may have prevailed because it would not have taken much at all.

I am less concerned about losing this game and more concerned about how the team is playing and who is taking the shots.

JayRedd

From what I saw, Howard probably got him with the body in OT but didn't slap his arm or head or anything above the mid-back. Would have certainly been a whistle in the 2nd Quarter.

At the end of regulation, there was definetely contact. But just from how Danny got the ball---among a bunch of confusion with 3 or 4 other guys in the lane---and the fact that he didn't really re-gather and go up particularly strong, it's just not a call I would expect and NBA ref to make with 2 seconds left in any game.

So yes, they were both fouls. And as whistle-happy as the refs were, it was a little disingenous to how the game was being called (over 90 total free throws) to not put Danny on the line at least once.

Can't help that Danny's only about 120 games deep into his NBA career either.

Evan_The_Dude
This is a game to build on. There's not much negative other than the officiating to come out of this. We're a clutch performer (a clutch wing player) away from beating Dallas twice this season. We're a clutch wing player away from being a major contender whether ESPN thinks so or not.

Granger comes up clutch at times -- well a lot of times, but he still has room to grow in that department. In some games it seems like he shys away from the ball until the 4th quarter. It's like he gains a ton of testicular fortitude in the 4th quarter. He grabs clutch rebounds a LOT. The other night when we knocked off Boston he had been struggling with his shot all night, but got a pass from J.O. in the 4th quarter and didn't even think twice about releasing a three-pointer. He shot it as if he knew there was no way he'd miss. He did the same thing tonight in the 4th quarter, clutch 3-pointer.

It amazes me how quickly Granger catches on to things. He started off last season learning two different forward positions. By the time we hit the All-Star break he looked like he'd been playing both positions for 3 years. Then his jumpshot was inconsistent all season. But in the playoffs last year and in Peja's absence, Granger hit 55% from beyond the arc.

This year he's started off slow but unlike the older and much more experienced Al Harrington, he found a way to make his presence felt in the game without having to dominate the ball. The 22 points he scored tonight were 100% within the flow of the offense.

Point is, if Granger can be featured a bit more in the offense and work HIMSELF into becoming a go-to guy, I know he can be the player we need so badly. The reason I say that is because he has one thing about him that Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, Lebron James, Chris Paul, Baron Davis, Ray Allen, Reggie Miller etc. have in common. A killer instinct. I'm not saying he'll ever be as good as any of those guys, but the way this guy picks up things, I don't have reason to believe that he can't be as good as any of them with a lot of hard work.

Also I'll say it again, we're going to be an extremely dangerous playoff team this year. It's going to be fun to watch.

Unclebuck
01-12-2007, 11:43 PM
Point is, if Granger can be featured a bit more in the offense and work HIMSELF into becoming a go-to guy, I know he can be the player we need so badly. The reason I say that is because he has one thing about him that Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade, Lebron James, Chris Paul, Baron Davis, Ray Allen, Reggie Miller etc. have in common. A killer instinct. I'm not saying he'll ever be as good as any of those guys, but the way this guy picks up things, I don't have reason to believe that he can't be as good as any of them with a lot of hard work.

I don't think Granger will ever be a go to guy. As in a guy you just give the ball to and tell him to create something either on a set play or when a play breaks down. In order to get even close to that level he needs to improve his ball handler about 90%. No I think Danny will always be a complementary offensive player. Nothing wrong with that though

BlueNGold
01-12-2007, 11:47 PM
I don't think Granger will ever be a go to guy. As in a guy you just give the ball to and tell him to create something either on a set play or when a play breaks down. In order to get even close to that level he needs to improve his ball handler about 90%. No I think Danny will always be a complementary offensive player. Nothing wrong with that though

I see DG as more of a Shawn Marion type, or at best Scottie Pippen. I don't think he has the talent of any of those top players.

Yep, nothing wrong with that.

MaHa3000
01-12-2007, 11:47 PM

Did Reggie have great handles?

BlueNGold
01-12-2007, 11:51 PM
Did Reggie have great handles?

No. Granger might be as talented, overall, as Reggie. Reggie was fairly weak on D. Not really a great driver either, until well into his career.

But Reg made shots when they counted. You cannot put a price on clutch.

Evan_The_Dude
01-12-2007, 11:56 PM

Granger said at the end of last season that he needed to improve on that. I think he did, but not by much. If he improved his handling by a lot more and combined that with his beautiful stroke, I think you have a hell of an offensive player. He doesn't need to give us 20-30ppg -- That I'll never expect. He's such a multi-dimensional player that I think he can have an impact whether he scores or not. However because he seems to like to step up and shoot in the 4th quarter, I think he should really take that and run with it. Not too many players on this team are willing to do that. The ones that are (other than J.O.) don't really have the full ability to make those shots like he does.

I think at the most he can get to Rip Hamiltons level numbers wise.

Roaming Gnome
01-13-2007, 12:05 AM
http://www.kimrichter.com/Blog/uploaded_images/screwed-lo-736956.gif
Yes, eventhough Dallas benefited a little more from the whistle...I'm so glad that our boys came out there and did all they could to work past the officials and play one hell of a game. I'm pretty certain the Pacer team of the past would have melted down under the pressure of the officials and would have lost their composure and just been another embarrasment waiting to happen.

This team has the talent, it just has to be able to put it together on a regular basis against the Charlotte and Toronto type squads. I do see the improvement in maturaty on the court and I always had a feeling this wouldn't come overnight.

The loss sucks, but guess what? It was just a regular season game and the team showed me more in this loss then they did in that piece of crap win against Atlanta earlier in the week.

Jermaniac
01-13-2007, 12:12 AM
http://www.kimrichter.com/Blog/uploaded_images/screwed-lo-736956.gif
Yes, eventhough Dallas benefited a little more from the whistle...I'm so glad that our boys came out there and did all they could to work past the officials and play one hell of a game. I'm pretty certain the Pacer team of the past would have melted down under the pressure of the officials and would have lost their composure and just been another embarrasment waiting to happen.

This team has the talent, it just has to be able to put it together on a regular basis against the Charlotte and Toronto type squads. I do see the improvement in maturaty on the court and I always had a feeling this wouldn't come overnight.

The loss sucks, but guess what? It was just a regular season game and the team showed me more in this loss then they did in that piece of crap win against Atlanta earlier in the week.I agree with you, they showed that they can play with the best of them, we just need to stay consistent and put out this type of effort night in and night out. We would be beating teams by 20 everynight if we played like this, but this just happened to be the best team in the NBA that had the refs on their side.

Trader Joe
01-13-2007, 12:20 AM
Well, needless to say I was a little disappointed in the outcome. Al was complete and total garbage and I don't think it is offbase to say that Danny is already his superior in just about every facet of the game. Better rebounder, better defender, better ball handler, more consistent, goes to the hole more. I really wonder what Al ever did to earn his starting spot because he darn sure doesn't deserve to keep it if he keeps this up. The refs were also subpar somewhere Dirk is drawing another foul on a jumpshot and Granger is being mugged on a layup with no call. Overall tho I feel the team has turned a corner. JO is dominant, Danny is being consistant, Foster is rebounding, Tins has returned to the Tins that made me a huge fan of his.

Overall I am optimistic. Three winnable games next week. Make it so Pacers.

I also thought the crowd was very good tonight.

Hicks
01-13-2007, 12:27 AM
Every time I see Terry do the things he did tonight, I go back to how hopeful I was that the Atlanta trade stayed at "Tinsley-Harrington-Pollard" for "Terry-Jackson", and how disappointed I was when it got whittled down to "Harrington" for "Jackson".

speakout4
01-13-2007, 12:33 AM
Well, needless to say I was a little disappointed in the outcome. Al was complete and total garbage and I don't think it is offbase to say that Danny is already his superior in just about every facet of the game. Better rebounder, better defender, better ball handler, more consistent, goes to the hole more. I really wonder what Al ever did to earn his starting spot because he darn sure doesn't deserve to keep it if he keeps this up. The refs were also subpar somewhere Dirk is drawing another foul on a jumpshot and Granger is being mugged on a layup with no call. Overall tho I feel the team has turned a corner. JO is dominant, Danny is being consistant, Foster is rebounding, Tins has returned to the Tins that made me a huge fan of his.

Overall I am optimistic. Three winnable games next week. Make it so Pacers.

I also thought the crowd was very good tonight.

Danny's game is just lots more versatile than Al's. The wrong matchup and Al is fairly useless. The reason that Al bothers me so much is that he doesn't work on the different parts of his game.

Hicks
01-13-2007, 12:35 AM
What matters is that the best teams win in spite of the refs. The Pacers tried to do that, to their credit. I don't think they had any T's tonight.

That said, the refs did suck tonight and despite the tale of the FTA's, it sure as hell felt like we had some very timely no-calls in the paint (when we were on offense) while Dallas got a few very timely calls on the perimeter (when they were on offense). It's the timing on top of the inconsistency that kills me, not the final tally.

Finally, we need a better guard than any we have right now to win a title with most of this roster. A guard who can just hit those big shots we need down the stretch. Be they 3 pointers like Reggie would deliver, or killer mid-range shots like Rip Hamilton, Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, etc. I think if you could add that to the front line of Granger/Williams, O'Neal/Baston, Foster, we could be a much better, much more consistently winning team.

I also am now convinced with the idea that's been stated for a while: Granger's better than Al in everything except putting up the occasional really big offensive game (And frankly, Granger is only a few steps behind in this area as well). He's more versatile, and he fits better with the others on the floor than Al does. I generally like(d?) Al, but if we could trade him for a guard of his caliber, I'm all for it.

Unclebuck
01-13-2007, 12:39 AM
I also am now convinced with the idea that's been stated for a while: Granger's better than Al in everything except putting up the occasional really big offensive game (And frankly, Granger is only a few steps behind in this area as well). He's more versatile, and he fits better with the others on the floor than Al does. I generally like(d?) Al, but if we could trade him for a guard of his caliber, I'm all for it.

I hadn't really thought of trading AL, but that is interesting. Wonder what we could get for him.

It was still a wise decision to acquire AL he's more valuable at his reasonable salary than the first rounder we gave up.

imawhat
01-13-2007, 12:42 AM
I don't know if anyone else caught this, but Al was taken out late in the 4th quarter and replaced by Foster. The moment Al sits down on the bench he mutters "this is f&^*ing bull%$&t". A few moments later, Al Harrington was substituted back in for Jeff Foster.

I'm glad to see us play some quality basketball, finally. And we played a team that had a good game. This is the easiest loss of the year to swallow so far, but that's not saying much.

lenin_fresh
01-13-2007, 12:50 AM
This is the first loss I've seen in a while that I've walked away from with a good feeling. They played a hard game and pushed arguably the best team in the league to overtime and lost by 2. It sucked that they lost but they showed that they can compete against a team that's as loaded as Dallas is. A loss like this is tough but I'm really hoping this does more to build momentum and confidence for the team than it does to slow them down.

Frank Slade
01-13-2007, 12:51 AM
Just got back from the game and for the first time this season I can say, now that was an NBA basketball game, that was a real NBA game and a really good game. If you want me to complain I'm going to disappoint you.

Pacers played really well - they didn't play perfectly - but they played a really good game.

Overall I'm very encouraged by the game tonight and it was a great game to see in person. Now that was real NBA basketball game

Reason why the Pacers lost: Mavs are a better team, Pacers defense just wasn't good enough, they couldn't defend without fouling and they gave up a few key offensive rebounds.

I totally agree UB , I had to tape the game and just finished watching it. The Pacers didn't lose this one, The Mavs simply won it in the last posession.

Very few losses can I come away feeling encouraged this is one of them. And yes this is the kind of consistent play a fan base can get behind win or lose. I'm not worried about a win streak as I am the consistent good play. Keep it up !

Will Galen
01-13-2007, 12:53 AM
I don't know if anyone else caught this, but Al was taken out late in the 4th quarter and replaced by Foster. The moment Al sits down on the bench he mutters "this is f&^*ing bull%$&t". A few moments later, Al Harrington was substituted back in for Jeff Foster.

How would you know what he said if he muttered it?

mut·ter (m¾t“…r) v. mut·tered, mut·ter·ing, mut·ters. --intr. 1. To speak indistinctly in low tones. 2. To complain or grumble morosely. --tr. 1. To utter or say in low, indistinct tones. --mut·ter n. A low grumble or indistinct utterance.

imawhat
01-13-2007, 12:55 AM
Lipreading.

But I'm sure it wasn't a "mutter". Actually he said it loud enough to be heard, which is what I meant.

JayRedd
01-13-2007, 01:29 AM

Carlisle was going offense/defense is how I viewed this. He did it a few other times, with JO even (although I think that was because of him having five fouls, not lack of defense/rebounding like with Al).

Of course, I can see why Al would be unhappy about coming out. Or...on the other hand, maybe his comment was just in reference to his own play. If so, he was spot on with that description.

heywoode
01-13-2007, 01:29 AM
I didn't get to watch the game because of the weather...it must've been raining in SPACE to mess with my satellite....(It is actually messed up after the roofers banged it a couple times; I've tried adjusting it back but it just won't stay put)....

After reading the stats, I feel pretty good about this loss. We gave the best team in the league all they wanted tonight. We made 1 less FG on 6 less attempts (out-shot them), 1 less 3pt FG on NINE less attempts (out-shot them), edged them on FT shooting (we usually get killed on FT%), out-rebounded them on both ends (it was close, but hey, we still had more!), had more assists, one less block, more fast break points, and seemed to be in control most of the game...we had 14 turnovers to their 7 (SEVEN? are you kidding me?), but 14 is still reasonable I think...

Great effort, but just couldn't put it away. I don't blame anyone for this loss. Like has been stated, Dallas did what Dallas does...They hang in there and come through in the clutch. I can live with it....Win the games you are supposed to win, and give yourself a chance in the ones that you aren't supposed to win.

The only thing I take exception to is Avery Johnson saying they weren't at their best and pulled out a road win. When Dirk scores 42 and Terry scores 30, and they pull out an OT road win against a team that obviously wanted to win, they WERE at their best. I take it as a slight insult, but hey, that's just me....

Don't kid yourself Avery, if you HADN'T played your best, you woulda got BEATEN.

JayRedd
01-13-2007, 01:35 AM
The only thing I take exception to is Avery Johnson saying they weren't at their best and pulled out a road win. When Dirk scores 42 and Terry scores 30, and they pull out an OT road win against a team that obviously wanted to win, they WERE at their best. I take it as a slight insult, but hey, that's just me....

Don't kid yourself Avery, if you HADN'T played your best, you woulda got BEATEN.

You're probably right...But Devin Harris did miss most of the game after smacking his head on the floor, Josh Howard did shoot terribly, Stack was a corpse out there, and Dampier was in foul trouble most of the game.

So they did have to overcome all that. And these guys are just that good enough to do it.

heywoode
01-13-2007, 01:55 AM
You're probably right...But Devin Harris did miss most of the game after smacking his head on the floor, Josh Howard did shoot terribly, Stack was a corpse out there, and Dampier was in foul trouble most of the game.

So they did have to overcome all that. And these guys are just that good enough to do it.

Wouldn't you say that a team that overcame all that to win in OT on the road was playing their best? Collectively, at least?? :-p

Seed
01-13-2007, 03:24 AM
Jax scored well tonight, but 0 Reb 0 Ast 4 TO in more than 41 minutes?

Will Galen
01-13-2007, 04:31 AM

Avery could be right about the Mavs not playing their best. Could be the Pacers didn't let them.

hoopsforlife
01-13-2007, 06:19 AM

I saw the replay and thought he was fouled. It was a missed (bad) call. There were a lot of them in the game. Dirk is a true superstar on the MJ level now. He must not be allowed to lose.

I thought this game was the most biased exibition of the season.

It was avery good game otherwise.

PS: I am developing a theory about the headbands our guards and forwards wear thereby cutting off circulation to the brain. It seems to have a negative effect on their play almost every game. :mad:

Roferr
01-13-2007, 07:19 AM

Except for the calls you mention, I thought it was a pretty decently called ball game. Dirk definitely wasn't fouled by JO. This happens all the time to the stars, phantom calls but they are normally not called on another star defending. I've seen Wade, Lebron and a ton of other players get the benefit of the same calls, yes even JO is the recipient of phantom calls and goes to the line.

Granger being fouled was pretty obvious. That went a long way in determining the outcome.

All in all, it was a great ball game. Al could have done more for sure...4 pts in 46 minutes! Foster exceeded his output in a little over half the minutes, 4 pts and 9 boards versus 7 boards for Al.

Jax had a great first half except for 5 to's but he and Al just seem to disappear in the second half.

Tinsley admitted that missing the ft's made a huge difference and Jax admitted that he missed some box outs. But as a team, the Pacers put up a whale of a fight and the Mavs were lucky to come out with a victory.

Roferr
01-13-2007, 07:24 AM
I see DG as more of a Shawn Marion type, or at best Scottie Pippen. I don't think he has the talent of any of those top players.

Yep, nothing wrong with that.

Or at best Scottie Pippen? Hell, I'll take that. Pippen, in his prime, was one of the best ever.

Roferr
01-13-2007, 07:30 AM
Danny's game is just lots more versatile than Al's. The wrong matchup and Al is fairly useless. The reason that Al bothers me so much is that he doesn't work on the different parts of his game.

But where does the fault really lie when Al plays 46 minutes and scores only 4 pts., which should have been only 3? Hell, he couldn't even do that correctly. Being that unproductive, RC should have given his minutes to someone esle, Baston, Williams, hell even Daniels and Sarunas and play smaller.

RC is always juggling the lineup and when he really needs to, he doesn't.

BlueNGold
01-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Or at best Scottie Pippen? Hell, I'll take that. Pippen, in his prime, was one of the best ever.

I think his ceiling is Scottie...again, that is at the very best and if all the cards fall in the right direction.

BUT, I don't think Scottie was quite as good as Lebron, Kobe and MJ. JMO.

speakout4
01-13-2007, 09:31 AM
But where does the fault really lie when Al plays 46 minutes and scores only 4 pts., which should have been only 3? Hell, he couldn't even do that correctly. Being that unproductive, RC should have given his minutes to someone esle, Baston, Williams, hell even Daniels and Sarunas and play smaller.

RC is always juggling the lineup and when he really needs to, he doesn't.

No argument from me. I wouldn't have given RC the extension until after this season. A lot of pacers have soemthing to prove this season and some of those are coaches and admins.

Roferr
01-13-2007, 11:00 AM
I think his ceiling is Scottie...again, that is at the very best and if all the cards fall in the right direction.

BUT, I don't think Scottie was quite as good as Lebron, Kobe and MJ. JMO.

I think that MJ may be in a catergory all by himself. Maybe, with Bird and Magic just a hair lower. Until Lebron and Kobe (without Shaq) can lead their respective teams to a ring, they fall just a hair short of Bird and Magic.

odeez
01-13-2007, 11:20 AM
I don't ever think it is fair to blame a player for a loss, but when you are the second option on a team (Al Harrington) and you score 4 pts in 43 mins, you have to wonder. He took 5 shots, is that correct? That is crazy! It is true that in order for him to score alot of points, he has to be the fed the ball. But if he was more aggresive with his game, he wouldn't need that help. His box score numbers are sad at best. And in one of the biggest games for us this year, that is simply unexceptable. I say we send him to the bench for a bit and start Granger. See if that wakes him up.

Kestas
01-13-2007, 12:08 PM
Harrington:
4 points (1/5 from the field), 7 rebounds, 5 fouls, 3 turnovers, 1 assist, 46 minutes.
would it be right to presume that were it not for 5 fouls, he'd record 50+ minutes?
so now he's the best deffender Pacers got?