PDA

View Full Version : Dale Davis Rumors-Updated 01/13/07 (1st post)

Will Galen
01-12-2007, 04:48 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

UPDATE BELOW

ESPN is reporting;
In order to free up more minutes for Webber, Detroit may look into trading Dale Davis or Antonio McDyess, with the Pistons probably seeking a backup point guard or a small forward in return.

Both Davis and McDyess have relatively attractive, short-term contracts that would generate some interest from teams that are seeking veteran, playoff-tested veterans. -- MLive.com
---------

Saras for Dale works. Or if you prefer Saras and Harrison for McDyess works.

Of course Webber hasn't actually signed with Detroit yet . . .

UPDATE 01/13/07

Jan 13 - Chris Webber can't officially become a Piston until after the three-day weekend, but a team source said Friday afternoon a deal was nearly done to bring the Detroit native home.

Several signs Friday pointed to Webber's arrival in Detroit. Flip Saunders moved Rasheed Wallace back into his usual starting spot for Friday night's game in Atlanta, and moved Nazr Mohammed to the bench. -- Detroit Free Press

Davis A Sonic?
Jan 13 - Dale Davis had his agent, Chubby Wells, on hand in Philips Arena on Friday and was trying to ignore various trade rumors that have him on the way out of Detroit.

"You hear the rumors, you just can't worry about it," Davis said. "You have to let things happen as they may."

Pistons sources have indicated that signing Chris Webber will not be the final move before February's trade deadline, and Davis said Wells has spoken with president Joe Dumars. Davis has an expiring contract, always coveted by teams. -- Detroit Free Press

# Bob Hill, who said Davis could help the Sonics inside, was at Indiana when the Pacers drafted the 6-foot-11 versatile post in 1991.

"Dale Davis would be a very good addition to our team, obviously," said Hill, whose team is last in the league in rebounding (38.6). "There aren't a lot of those guys around, but Dale Davis would be a good one." -- Seattle Times

# "We drafted (Davis) in Indiana and I love him," Hill said. "Dale Davis would be a very good addition to our team, obviously. There's not a lot of those (big) guys. But (general manager) Rick Sund is all over it, the ones who are available." -- Seattle Post-Intelligencer

# The issue is matching salaries. The player with the salary closest to Davis' is Damien Wilkins, who makes $2.7 million.

To meet requirements of the collective bargaining agreement, the Sonics would have to include a player such as Mike Wilks. -- Tacoma News Tribune

# If Webber ends up in Detroit, the Pistons might jettison one of their other big men, perhaps Dale Davis or, less likely, Antonio McDyess. It's conceivable the Mavericks could have some interest in either.

More probable is that they'll keep their roster the way it is. -- Dallas Morning News

Lord Helmet
01-12-2007, 04:52 PM
No.

I'd rather keep Sarunas. Dale made his decision a while ago, he doesn't/didn't want to be a Pacer anymore.

ajbry
01-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Or if you prefer Saras and Harrison for McDyess works.

I would do it in a heartbeat.

Alpolloloco
01-12-2007, 04:56 PM
Tinsley for McDyess works too!

Will Galen
01-12-2007, 05:09 PM
No.

I'd rather keep Sarunas. Dale made his decision a while ago, he doesn't/didn't want to be a Pacer anymore.

Are you sure of that? I thought someone posted he didn't get an offer from the Pacers. You can't work for someone that doesn't offer you a job.

Jermaniac
01-12-2007, 05:11 PM
Bring Dale in right now. But I doubt there is anyway the Pistons let us get him.

Lord Helmet
01-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Are you sure of that? I thought someone posted he didn't get an offer from the Pacers. You can't work for someone that doesn't offer you a job.
I think he might have gotten like one offer from us, maybe. But I dunno.

Will Galen
01-12-2007, 05:39 PM
Bring Dale in right now. But I doubt there is anyway the Pistons let us get him.

I agree. There was speculation that one of their main reasons in signing him was to get him away from us.

Jermaniac
01-12-2007, 05:45 PM
I agree. There was speculation that one of their main reasons in signing him was to get him away from us.Thats exactly what it was. They didnt need him and you can see it by his minutes, they gave him 2 times more money then any team would have given him just so he isnt playing for us. If they needed a big man they could have signed some scrub to play 5 minutes a night for much less then 3 million per.

v_d_g
01-12-2007, 05:50 PM
I say paly the INTANGIBLE angle and pull out all the stops to get McDyess. I mean, TPTB would certainly part with a 2008 #1 for, arguably, the ASSIEST player in the NBA. (What's the alternative, giving it up for Freddie Jones and Anthony Johnson?:laugh:)
The dude is presently shooting 41.3% (FG) YET whenever I catch the rare Pistons' game, he can't miss; especially against the Pacers (it seems). In fact, I'd venture he's the ASSIEST shooter since Larry Johnson (shooting 3's) against the Pacers in the playoffs.

Hey, *** can't be measured. The Pacers, one of the worst shooting teams in the league, could certainly use some ***.

On the other hand, at least McDyess is mobile (major surgeries notwithstanding).

As for DD: The last thing we need is yet another plodder.

ALF68
01-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Jack for McDyess works for me.

Lord Helmet
01-12-2007, 05:58 PM
I don't think Detroit would even think about doing that.....

ChicagoJ
01-12-2007, 06:02 PM
I don't think Detroit would even think about doing that.....

We can dream, can't we?

Lord Helmet
01-12-2007, 06:04 PM
We can dream, can't we?
Yeah, I guess we still can.

:console:

ajbry
01-12-2007, 06:30 PM

Isn't this an unbacked, biased one-liner that we are trying to eliminate?

Bball
01-12-2007, 06:40 PM

I'd hope it is not.

-Bball

Roferr
01-12-2007, 07:02 PM

Actually, Jax could be a good back-up for Hamilton. McDyess makes 5.8 mil which is almost idential to Jax's 6.1 mil.

Also, with McDyess, Al would be a great possibility for a trade for a PG. Of course, it ain't gonna happen but I can dream, anyway.

Pacerized
01-12-2007, 07:14 PM
DD wasn't worth the contract then, and he isn't now. I'd say the same thing if Brad Miller were to be available. I couldn't see anything to make the Pacers think he's worth it either, unless maybe it was to dump a player they didn't want. If DW, or LB had wanted Dale I'm sure he would have stayed here if we matched the offer.

Will Galen
01-12-2007, 07:26 PM
DD wasn't worth the contract then, and he isn't now. I'd say the same thing if Brad Miller were to be available. I couldn't see anything to make the Pacers think he's worth it either, unless maybe it was to dump a player they didn't want. If DW, or LB had wanted Dale I'm sure he would have stayed here if we matched the offer.

We couldn't match the offer and pay Saras. Bird chose Saras.

Naptown_Seth
01-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Exactly. This is why they signed him in the first place, to keep him away from the Pacers and to keep in reserve for Miami if needed.

wintermute
01-12-2007, 07:43 PM
the situation is different now. when the pistons signed dale, we were still considered a contender (artest was still coming back the following season, remember). but now - well, we're still a top east team but that's because of the mediocrity of other east "powers" - surely pistons don't have the same reason to fear us any more. if we make the best offer then i think they would trade with us

i do agree that i don't think dale wants to return. sure he came back for reggie, but if you can believe news reports he didn't care for antics of the rest of the squad

Mr.ThunderMakeR
01-12-2007, 08:40 PM
As much as I would love to get rid of Tinsley and Jack,(and as much as I would love to have players like DD and McDyess), I just can't see the logic in giving up one of them for more frountcourt players when we are already crowded in the frontcourt, and weak in the backcourt. In my opinion, managment should only be considering trades that will improve us at the 1 and 2.

Will Galen
01-12-2007, 08:57 PM
In my opinion, managment should only be considering trades that will improve us at the 1 and 2.

Nooooooooooooo! (Rolling on floor kicking and hitting it)

You have a point, but that would mean we wouldn't consider trading Harrington for Dwight Howard, etc.

Of course that won't happen, but I think it illustrates the weakness of that argument.

I believe you should upgrade any part of your team any time you logically can.

owl
01-12-2007, 09:12 PM
Dale would be nice seeing back. But due to being in the same division
that will never happen.

ALF68
01-12-2007, 10:22 PM

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Will Galen http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/images/buttons/PDbuttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=527077#post527077)
Or if you prefer Saras and Harrison for McDyess works.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I would do it in a heartbeat.

And what is this? I didn't address you in my post so why are you busting on me?

Shade
01-12-2007, 11:15 PM
Runi for Dale is almost poetic justice, isn't it? :laugh:

Nah, I don't see DD wanting to come back here. He's obviously done with being a Pacer.

Tony Valente
01-13-2007, 03:12 AM
I don't want no Dale Davis on our team. Never ever. It's not about never being made an offer or anything like that. It's about him signing with the Pistons and declaring right after that he is happy that now he has a chance to win some games (or something like that). Like we were the biggest losers in NBA. No, sorry, don't want that BS anymore ...

Naptown_Seth
01-13-2007, 04:06 PM
Nooooooooooooo! (Rolling on floor kicking and hitting it)

You have a point, but that would mean we wouldn't consider trading Harrington for Dwight Howard, etc.

Of course that won't happen, but I think it illustrates the weakness of that argument.

I believe you should upgrade any part of your team any time you logically can.
Exactly. Talent is "money" that can be used for further upgrades. Even though in the immediate it seems redundent. Just look at Al, he's worth far more than the TE was. He can be combined with another player in a trade. Yes he's a little redundent in his current situation, but he was still an upgrade over getting nothing for Peja.

Now let me note one caveat there. Getting all PGs, even if they are the 10 greatest PGs in the game, would be problematic. But if you got them all in deals like James Jones for Jason Kidd and JO for Nash, Billups and Andre Miller, you still do the deals and then sort it out later.

The key is that when shifting from one position to the other that you don't miss the differing value of one position to another. Great scoring big men are worth more that great scoring SFs, just due to how common they are.

Kstat
01-13-2007, 05:13 PM
For what it's worth, I hope we trade Nazr and keep Dale. I'd hate to see him on another team. But Dale has the better contract, so he has to be considered.

Dice has a trade kicker, so we couldnt deal him even if we wanted to.

One rumor going around sattle is that bob hill really wants dale, and might consider dealing damien Wilkins. If they make that offer, I think Joe would have to accept.

Will Galen
01-13-2007, 05:52 PM
For what it's worth, I hope we trade Nazr and keep Dale. I'd hate to see him on another team. But Dale has the more better contract, so he has to be considered.

Dice has a trade kicker, so we couldnt deal him even if we wanted to.

One rumor going around sattle is that bob hill really wants dale, and might consider dealing damien Wilkins. If they make that offer, I think Joe would have to accept.

More better?

What's the chances of a guy who wants to be a sports writer getting a job spelling like this?

Whoops, chances would require a stat and Kstat doesn't like stats, so never mind.

(Yeah I know you didn't proof read it Kstaty) Just piling on. (grin)

If you don't know what I mean by piling on see this thread.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28155

vapacersfan
01-14-2007, 05:29 PM
More better?

What's the chances of a guy who wants to be a sports writer getting a job spelling like this?

Whoops, chances would require a stat and Kstat doesn't like stats, so never mind.

(Yeah I know you didn't proof read it Kstaty) Just piling on. (grin)

If you don't know what I mean by piling on see this thread.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28155

He could also just go to ESPN....

SycamoreKen
01-14-2007, 06:22 PM
McD. for B. Barry or Finley works on Real GM if they arelooking for a sf. With Bonner hurt SA needs a big.

Fool
01-16-2007, 10:58 AM
McD. for B. Barry or Finley works on Real GM if they arelooking for a sf. With Bonner hurt SA needs a big.

Isn't Barry shooting unconciously well this season? I'd do that trade except that Barry is so old, on San Antonio, and McDyess would start for them. Jon Barry was a fan favorite while he was on the Pistons.

Kstat, you got a link to the Wilkins rumor? [Edit: Nevermind, found it.] If its a real rumor it sounds like the best one (as far as the player we'd get) I've heard so far. Finally a guy to back up Prince who'd be impossible to leave on the bench all game every game.

TheSuaveOne
01-16-2007, 11:40 AM
LOL, what makes you think the Pistons would trade to a division rival? It's never going to happen...la

Mourning
01-16-2007, 01:40 PM
I don't want no Dale Davis on our team. Never ever. It's not about never being made an offer or anything like that. It's about him signing with the Pistons and declaring right after that he is happy that now he has a chance to win some games (or something like that). Like we were the biggest losers in NBA. No, sorry, don't want that BS anymore ...

My sentiments EXACTLY! Just after the brawl signing for the Pistons, sorry guys, I know it's a business, but I'm a fan and I don't appreciate **** like that especially after he got that big brake after the brawl that allowed him to find a team he knew and he also knew he could play a lot of minutes for and by doing that upping his value for a new contract. Now that's ok with me, but don't bury the team after he got that opportunity.

Regards,

Mourning :cool: