PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets dealing Boykins, Hodge to Bucks for Blake

aero
01-11-2007, 02:50 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2727760

i kinda knew they would be trading boykins sometime this year but i wasnt sure when.

imawhat
01-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Interesting. Boykins had some nice chemistry with Iverson.

PostArtestEra
01-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Seems like a bad trade for Denver IMO. I would have probably given up more for Boykins and Hodge.

Jermaniac
01-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Julius Hodge - Jules Of Harlem Headed For Stardom

He needs to be on the Pacers. I wonder why they traded Earl Boykins, dude was playing out of control the last few weeks, and to make it worse they traded a guy they used their first round pick on a few years ago for Steve Blake. Steve Blake aint that good.

AesopRockOn
01-11-2007, 03:02 PM
Who wants Steve Blake? He's just a backup.

Trader Joe
01-11-2007, 03:02 PM
Julius Hodge - Jules Of Harlem Headed For Stardom

He needs to be on the Pacers. I wonder why they traded Earl Boykins, dude was playing out of control the last few weeks, and to make it worse they traded a guy they used their first round pick on a few years ago for Steve Blake. Steve Blake aint that good.

Smith is back, Melo will be back soon and AI is there now. Earl doesn't have the shots he needs with those three around. Although I am surprised this is all they could get.

JayRedd
01-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Seems like a bad trade for Denver IMO. I would have probably given up more for Boykins and Hodge.

I like the move a lot for the Nuggets.

They really don't need Earl's scoring at this point, and lil guy really doesn't do anything else. And he likes to take a lot of shots, which with AI, Melo, and JR back wasn't really going to be an option.

Blake is a pretty good distributor who is okay with only shooting a few times per night and he can space the floor with his quality range from the three, and while he might not be a great defender, he is one of those pesky guys that can bother people.

Not bad for the Bucks either. They got Mo at the 1, and they need scoring from Earl without Redd and Villanueva.

Win-win, IMO.

purdue101
01-11-2007, 03:13 PM
let's not forget that denver is saving about 6 million in salary over the next two years. milwaukee had the medical exemption from bobby simmons injury, which is why they were able to take back about 4 million in salary while only giving away 1 million.

considering denver is in luxury tax land - they have 12 million reasons to make that deal.

aero
01-11-2007, 03:15 PM
the move was for cap room...and Boykins would be the odd man out when Mello returns

Fool
01-11-2007, 03:24 PM
Yeah, that's the rationale. But the Nuggets didn't get better with the trade, just less expensive.

CableKC
01-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Yeah, that's the rationale. But the Nuggets didn't get better with the trade, just less expensive.
Between now and when they have to start figuring out how much luxury tax they have to pay....I am pretty sure that the Nuggets aren't done dealing yet.

Given their inability to move Nene as part of any intial deal with Iverson....they are desperate to get as close to the salary cap as possible. As purdue101 said...this was partly to make space/minutes/shots for Carmelo when he returns...but mainly was to clear as much salary as possible before the start of the next season.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of Denver's Big Men aren't moved as well.....most probably....Camby is gonna be traded before the start of the 2007-2008 season.

Young
01-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Good trade for both teams.

Denver doesn't need Boykins with Melo close to returning and Smith already returning. Boykins wouldn't get as many shots when Melo returns. In return for Boykins they get a solid point guard in Steve Blake who played very well for Portland last year. Blake can defend and distribute the ball.

The Bucks need depth. With Mo Williams going down recently and Reed, and Villanueva all still out and Bobby Simmions out the remainder of the season they needed some depth and more firepower. Boykins gives them some scoring punch from the guard spot and Hodge is a nice all around talent who could be a good player one day.

Blake is the guy I was hoping the Pacers could land. Too bad we aren't getting him. Oh well.

gph
01-11-2007, 04:24 PM
hell of a gm up in milwaukee all of the sudden.

boykins firecracker off the bench, with hodge being an interesting prospect, for a guy that didn't look good at all with the bucks. not bad.

add that to finding charlie bell in europe, lucking out on bogut, and picking up villanueva for a point that arguably mo w is looking just as solid as.

amazing how little things can start momentum. if simmons is ever healthy they have an ok bench, and a nice starting 5. they could use a better back up big, but man...they have potential, and that potential is starting to come out. mo w, redd, simmons, villanueva, bogut is a nice core. add in boykins, charlie bell on the cheap, hodge, illysova or markota working out...i would swap rosters with them.

Robertmto
01-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Denver is now my second favorite team in the NBA.

Steve Blake is unselfish in EVERY way possible and that is exactly what a team with Melo AND AI needs. Unselfishness.

FrenchConnection
01-11-2007, 05:28 PM
...i would swap rosters with them.

I guess that grass is always greener on the other side. No way would I swap rosters with the Bucks.

FrenchConnection
01-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Denver is now my second favorite team in the NBA.

Steve Blake is unselfish in EVERY way possible and that is exactly what a team with Melo AND AI needs. Unselfishness.

Except he probably won't play with them, but off of the bench. JR is the two and AI is the 1, so Blake has no spot in the starting lineup. He takes Earl's backup minutes, which will make him a non-factor with AI ahead of him in the lineup. Well, AI could slide to the 2 when JR takes a breather, but still he will play very little with Melo and AI.

Brian
01-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Isnt Mo williams out for a few weeks?

Shade
01-11-2007, 07:19 PM
Holy crap, the Bucks won out BIG on that deal. Boykins by himself is better than Blake.

Great, just what we needed. Earl Boykins torching us 4 times a year instead of 2. :unimpress

CableKC
01-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Holy crap, the Bucks won out BIG on that deal. Boykins by himself is better than Blake.

Great, just what we needed. Earl Boykins torching us 4 times a year instead of 2. :unimpress

No kidding......Boykins and Mo Williams will run circles around Tinsley and Sarunas.

Jermaniac
01-11-2007, 07:40 PM
No kidding......Boykins and Mo Williams will run circles around Tinsley and Sarunas.Have you ever said anything positive about this team or are you always finding ways to ***** about them.

We are 2 and 0 against the Bucks, getting Earl Boykins is not going to put them above us. Sorry, I bet you would enjoy that though.

Robertmto
01-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Except he probably won't play with them, but off of the bench. JR is the two and AI is the 1, so Blake has no spot in the starting lineup. He takes Earl's backup minutes, which will make him a non-factor with AI ahead of him in the lineup. Well, AI could slide to the 2 when JR takes a breather, but still he will play very little with Melo and AI.

Once he gets in a few practices i would bet that the caoch will find some minutes for all 3.

Jermaniac
01-11-2007, 11:41 PM
Yeah because once the coach sees the beast that is Steve Blake he will be forced to cut the top 2 leading scorers in the NBA minutes. Steve Blake is horrible, if he was any good he wouldnt be getting traded every year.

King Tuts Tomb
01-12-2007, 12:16 AM
As a part-time Nuggets fan here in Colorado (80 games a year, just not the two when they play the Pacers) I'm ecstatic to see Boykins leave. He's a career low percentage shooter, takes bad shots and he needs the ball in his hands to do anything, a lot like Carmelo and AI. He's also a complete train wreck on defense, although you can't really blame him, it's just size. And from what I've heard, he really gets on his teammates nerves with his shot selection and selfish play.

With this trade it would be interesting to see if the Nuggets could field a lineup with Blake and AI at guard, JR Smith at 3, Melo at 4 and Camby at 5. It'd be a great scoring group but I think they'd get torched on defense.

Worst case scenario the Nuggets get someone who can give AI a breather and not turn the ball over.

Robertmto
01-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Yeah because once the coach sees the beast that is Steve Blake he will be forced to cut the top 2 leading scorers in the NBA minutes. Steve Blake is horrible, if he was any good he wouldnt be getting traded every year.

I said Blake would be playing WITH them.

Melo at 3, AI at 2, Blake runnin point.

And FYI - Gil is #2 in the league.

Jermaniac
01-12-2007, 12:48 AM
I said Blake would be playing WITH them.

Melo at 3, AI at 2, Blake runnin point.

And FYI - Gil is #2 in the league.
YAY

Young
01-12-2007, 01:27 AM

If Steve Blake is so horrible than why did he get traded for Boykins and Hodge? Boykins is one of the best, maybe the best, backup point guards in the league. Hodge, while he hasn't done anything, he still has talent and value. I wouldn't say Blake is horrible. Is he one of the best points in the league? No but he is atleast solid.

LG33
01-12-2007, 02:03 AM
If Steve Blake is so horrible than why did he get traded for Boykins and Hodge? Boykins is one of the best, maybe the best, backup point guards in the league. Hodge, while he hasn't done anything, he still has talent and value. I wouldn't say Blake is horrible. Is he one of the best points in the league? No but he is atleast solid.

He didn't pan out as Milwaukee had hoped (neither did Ha Seung Jin, sadly enough), but I gotta believe he's still a solid back-up point guard.

But then again, some would go as far as saying he's better than Tinsley:
http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28008

CableKC
01-12-2007, 04:14 AM
Have you ever said anything positive about this team or are you always finding ways to ***** about them.

We are 2 and 0 against the Bucks, getting Earl Boykins is not going to put them above us. Sorry, I bet you would enjoy that though.
Dat Dude...you have got to cool your jets. At what point did I say that the Bucks were better then us?

I was pointing out that the our 2 main PGs have had problems with MoWill and Boykins ( even when he was with Denver )...especially on the defensive end....partly because of their overall quickness. Its not like Tinsley or Sarunas has been effective guarding them.

Evan_The_Dude
01-12-2007, 11:37 AM
I've repeatedly said Steve Blake would be a good fit here as a backup. His game would compliment our style a lot.

JayRedd
01-12-2007, 01:20 PM
hell of a gm up in milwaukee all of the sudden.

boykins firecracker off the bench, with hodge being an interesting prospect, for a guy that didn't look good at all with the bucks. not bad.

add that to finding charlie bell in europe, lucking out on bogut, and picking up villanueva for a point that arguably mo w is looking just as solid as.

amazing how little things can start momentum. if simmons is ever healthy they have an ok bench, and a nice starting 5. they could use a better back up big, but man...they have potential, and that potential is starting to come out. mo w, redd, simmons, villanueva, bogut is a nice core. add in boykins, charlie bell on the cheap, hodge, illysova or markota working out...i would swap rosters with them.

Not to mention getting Rueben Patterson to start playing the best basketball of his life at 30+ years old.

I think this could provide Denver with a very, very good match-up to throw at Phoenix if they end up meeting them in the Playoffs. My guess is Denver's strategy is that they will try to outscore most teams to win in the Playoffs...but they have to know that trying to "fight fire with fire" as it may be against Phoenix is a tough, tough thing to do.

Now they can match a lineup of Nash, Bell/Barbosa, Diaw, Marion and Amare with a similar lineup of Blake, AI, JR, Melo and Camby. This would give AI free range to chuck and drive all day long and while Blake's overall talent may not equal Boykins', he is a better distributor/set-up guy that can just sit back and find the open shooter, and stick the three when it comes to him.

Good lord I want that series to happen. Scores could get into the 160s.