PDA

View Full Version : Question for Kstat

Hicks
01-24-2004, 09:38 PM
I've noticed that last season mid-to-late in the season, the Pistons went on a 7 game losing streak.

Why? What were the major factors?

Kstat
01-24-2004, 09:47 PM
I've noticed that last season mid-to-late in the season, the Pistons went on a 7 game losing streak.

1) we played a lot of tough ton road games (at LA, at Minnesota, at Sacramento, etc.) The one HOME game we lost during thats stretch, we led N.O. big the entire game, and Mashburn let a late charge and drilled a shot to beat us at the buzzer.

2) Curry and Robinson went into a MAJOR shooting slump, leaving us to basically play 2 on 5 on offense.

3)Overconfidence in the overall defensive scheme, which led to a lot of defensive lapses.

That said, it wasnt just the losing streak. We started the season 37-16, and finished 13-16. Some of it was because the losing streak started us on a bad note, some of it was because of injuries, and some was because teams just plain figured us out. We never really ever changed our gameplan. Teams knew exactly what to expect from us and I think it gave them a comfort zone.

Hicks
01-24-2004, 10:01 PM

1) we played a lot of tough ton road games (at LA, at Minnesota, at Sacramento, etc.) The one HOME game we lost during thats stretch, we led N.O. big the entire game, and Mashburn let a late charge and drilled a shot to beat us at the buzzer.

2) Curry and Robinson went into a MAJOR shooting slump, leaving us to basically play 2 on 5 on offense.

3)Overconfidence in the overall defensive scheme, which led to a lot of defensive lapses.

That said, it wasnt just the losing streak. We started the season 37-16, and finished 13-16. Some of it was because the losing streak started us on a bad note, some of it was because of injuries, and some was because teams just plain figured us out. We never really ever changed our gameplan. Teams knew exactly what to expect from us and I think it gave them a comfort zone.

I can make some slight comparisons to us tonight. Now, losing two games is nothing compared to 7, but if we don't change soon it's gonna be 7 real quick. I see a couple similarities in what you wrote. Defensive lapses (possibly due to overconfidence?), a couple guys playing through awful stretches (Ron, to a lesser extent Al and AJ). We just came out of a tough stretch OK, but it still could have been exhausting I suppose. Also, it's not hard to figure us out either. Our Ace with that is at least we have a guy like JO where you can know everything about him and he's still good enough to drop 25 and 15.

Hopefully we snap out of it.

ABADays
01-24-2004, 10:09 PM
Let's not jump the gun here. It's two losses in yet another freaking back-to-back. I think the players know. We'll be fine.

Unclebuck
01-24-2004, 11:26 PM
Interesting enough on his radio show last week Rick Carlisle talked about his Pistons team losing 7 straight in each of his two years there.

I would love to tell you exactly what Rick said about it, but I forget what he said.

I think it was in reference to how every team ges through good streaks and bad streaks

PistonsDynasty
01-25-2004, 02:20 AM

Wasn't Curry always in a MAJOR shooting slump?? :D

Kstat
01-25-2004, 03:06 AM

Wasn't Curry always in a MAJOR shooting slump?? :D

Curry was a career 4/2 guy wiht the pistons. However, he was always a career %47 shooter. However, his shooting dipped under %40 during that streak, and all on UNCONTESTED open looks. It was very demoralizing to the team when other teams doubled Rip or Chauncey, and Curry would have all day to set and aim a 15-footer, and miss almost the whole rim. I can remember specifically Curry costing us a win AT Sacramento, because he single-handidly put us in an offensive slump.

ABADays
01-25-2004, 09:00 AM
There is another thread on the forum about the Hornets beating the Spurs. SA has been going through a rough time. All teams go through a bad spell - even the good ones.

Unclebuck
01-25-2004, 01:13 PM
Kstat, you seem to place a lot of blame on Robinson and Curry. I see things a little different, and I grant that you watch the Pistons a lot closer than I do, but I would not mind having either or both on the Pacers team. They seem like winners to me.

Kstat
01-25-2004, 02:11 PM
Kstat, you seem to place a lot of blame on Robinson and Curry. I see things a little different, and I grant that you watch the Pistons a lot closer than I do, but I would not mind having either or both on the Pacers team. They seem like winners to me.

I blame them because they are regular season studs that NEVER show up in the playoffs, when the pressure is on. Cliff is a %38 shooter that, while he can force you to miss the shot, will just as easily give up the offensive rebound. As big men go, he's an atrocious rebounder. Whats the point of stopping people if you cant secure the board?

Curry is the same way. Stops his man, but cant get the ball. Not to mention the fact his man usually gets a lot of rest on defense, because Curry is ZERO threat to score.

I'm MUCH more confident letting Okur and Prince go through the growing pains NOW, and let that experience pay off come playoff time. I'v seen enough of Okur to know he could put us in the finals if he every becomes a consistent threat. I'm VERY happy we rid ourselves of Curry and Robinson. We want to win in May and June, not January.

ROCislandWarrior
01-25-2004, 03:00 PM
I'm MUCH more confident letting Okur and Prince go through the growing pains NOW, and let that experience pay off come playoff time.

Prince seemed to shine last year in the playoffs. I think your right Kstat...soon enough Prince and Okur will be light years ahead of Curry and Cliff.

Kstat
01-25-2004, 03:14 PM
I'm MUCH more confident letting Okur and Prince go through the growing pains NOW, and let that experience pay off come playoff time.

Prince seemed to shine last year in the playoffs. I think your right Kstat...soon enough Prince and Okur will be light years ahead of Curry and Cliff.

Prince has 2 things going against him this year:

A) teams are ADJUSTING to him

B) he's hitting the "rookie wall". He's not used physically to playing more than 30 games ina season. I think he's fighting through that right now.

ROCislandWarrior
01-25-2004, 03:17 PM
B) he's hitting the "rookie wall". He's not used physically to playing more than 30 games ina season. I think he's fighting through that right now.

Only if Carlisle would have played him... :D