PDA

View Full Version : Big Shocker -- Yet another East Coach fired

Natston
05-07-2004, 11:50 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1797077

:unimpressed:

NEW ORLEANS -- Tim Floyd was fired by the New Orleans Hornets on Friday after one season as their coach, The Associated Press and the New Orleans Times-Picayune are reporting.

A team source, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the AP that Floyd was given the news in a meeting Friday morning.

The Hornets planned a formal announcement for 12:30 p.m. ET, according to the newspaper.

Hornets assistant Alvin Gentry and New Orleans native Avery Johnson are candidates to replace Floyd, according to ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

Floyd was hired last summer with the expectation of guiding the Hornets deep into the playoffs in the team's last year in the Eastern Conference before switching to the tougher West.

But a combination of injuries and chemistry problems that Floyd struggled to control contributed to a 41-41 regular season and a first-round loss to the Miami Heat in the playoffs.

The Hornets were eliminated in Game 7 Tuesday night; general manager Bob Bass, who was instrumental in bringing Floyd to New Orleans, retired Wednesday.

Floyd's overall NBA record, including playoffs, is 93-235. He replaced Phil Jackson as the Chicago Bulls' coach in the post-Michael Jordan era and went 49-190 before resigning in December 2001.

Floyd, a successful college coach, got another chance in the pros with the Hornets, replacing Paul Silas. He referred to his hiring as a dream opportunity with a talented, veteran club in a city he loved.

Some of those talented veterans, however, were unsure about Floyd, who not only came in with one of the worst win-loss records in NBA history but never played professionally.

Then came injuries before the season started, to All-Star Jamal Mashburn and top reserve Courtney Alexander. Alexander missed the entire season, and Mashburn missed all but 19 games during the regular season then was left off the playoff roster.

David Wesley also missed a long stretch of the season with a toe injury, while All-Star guard Baron Davis sprained his ankle late in the season and played through pain in the playoffs.

tseramid
05-07-2004, 12:01 PM
You could knock me over with a feather right now. I never saw that one coming.

:laugh:

Shade
05-07-2004, 12:08 PM
You could knock me over with a feather right now. I never saw that one coming.

:laugh:

Yeah. I'm surprised it took a whole 3 days. :laugh:

So long, Tim. Good luck back in the NCAA. ;)

NewYawk
05-07-2004, 12:14 PM
WHY IS ALVIN GENTRY A HC CANDIDATE?!!!

This guy stinks! Yet he still gets considered for HC jobs? :hmm:

What? Does he have pictures of the NO owners naked with a donkey or something? Jeez!

tseramid
05-07-2004, 12:18 PM
It shouldn't shock you that Alvin Gentry is a candidate, after all, this is the same organization that sought and hired Tim Floyd as a head coach.

NewYawk
05-07-2004, 12:21 PM
It shouldn't shock you that Alvin Gentry is a candidate, after all, this is the same organization that sought and hired Tim Floyd as a head coach.

Good point.

They are even talking about moving the team AGAIN! :unimpressed:

This is why Pacers fans should thank their lucky stars they have dedicated owners in the Simon bros, and excellent management in Walsh.

Perhaps Pacer fans could show that accreciation by actually ATTENDING the playoff games.

Suaveness
05-07-2004, 01:59 PM

Good point.

They are even talking about moving the team AGAIN! :unimpressed:

This is why Pacers fans should thank their lucky stars they have dedicated owners in the Simon bros, and excellent management in Walsh.

Perhaps Pacer fans could show that accreciation by actually ATTENDING the playoff games.

I think are now...this last game was sold out, and Saturday is sold out as well. So I think we are in good shape. :D

Southside_Pacer
05-07-2004, 02:39 PM
You could gather that Tim was on the way out earlier in the season when the owner started getting real involved with the team. He called that players meeting, traveled with them, that kinda pointed towards the beginning of the end.