PDA

View Full Version : opinonated opinion game #1 (+series)

able
05-07-2004, 10:19 AM
OK, some facts:

11 day break, no matter what you say that is bad for rythm.
Reggie and JO were very clear in the press conference afterwards, we could have played a lot better a whole lot.

Now lets face some reality here (and I know I'm considered optimistic and accused of homerism [what's wrong with being a homer btw?']) but see if I am really that "alone" in my views.
Ladbrokes, the bookie, has the Pacers 1/66 on winning the series, winning it in 4 or 5 (i.e. 4-0 or 4-1) are 6/4

now add to that (hey it's their money, not mine) that we did not give the Heat any sort of chance to get into this game, the closest they came was 8 and boom boom it was 13 again.
We were playing at "half-steam" instead of full blown into a series, in rythm and hot.

The Heat KNEW their best chance of nickin a game was game #1 for the above reasons, they knew it, they said it, everyone said that game #1 was their real chance.

Lets say the team improves 50% over last night, meaning it will run on 75% of capacity.
Where does anyone see the Heat take anything in this serie other then a major beating?

In 5 only if the Pacers take a night off, one of those "no show" evenings, which I somehow doubt will occur in the playoffs.

This game showed us all the very clear signs of another sweep.

Happy? yeah, somewhat, we will definitely play the ECF, but.........

You know how hard it is to stay awake when your team is nowhere near in danger of a close game? how actually boring a game can become at 4 in the morning if you can only listen to the radio and not see anything, so you can not address the ref *****ing, commercial *****ing, or share in the "WOW's" because you are 15 - 20 seconds behind the TV action?

I really wished they had put up more resistance, but it does lead me to a very scary conclusion (certainly after seeing that the bookies are not buying into the Pistons hype, they still favore the Pacers (be it mildly) over the Pistons,):

Maybe this team has already elevated its standard to a height very few teams and fans even realize, maybe they are THAT GOOD, that they can demolish every team that comes accross.

Yes until now most of my "we will win" was based on good hope, some knowledge and a lot of wishing, but look back at the other home games against the Heat we played, during the regular season, they were a lot closer and they were not at full strength, we were.
Last night we were not, they were.
The only time we wiped their butts was IN Miami, ........ooops, what does that all mean?

Were we "lucky" that Tins shot well, Reggie was there when he was needed and got the opportunity? or are we simply so good, that on any given night, on any given defense, whatever you throw at us, it will never be enough, there will always be 1 or 2 on the team that will torch you for whatever defense you came up with?

Worried about shooting? how many shooters do we have that at one time or another made an impact ? Tins, AJ, Reg, Fred, Cro and even JB have done that, Al has scored big in games, Swarm JO and Ron gets away, try both and they are lining up to take the uncontested easy shots or entering the lane when you try to cover the shooter.

Slowly I'm beginning to fear that we are a lot better then we even think, and yes that is a scary thought.

but a happy one :D

Snickers
05-07-2004, 10:38 AM
It was obvious at times that there was a good deal of rust being worked out of the offensive system. Ron was the only Pacer who had a really good offensive game, and we still stomped 'em. :D

Yes, I am starting to get the feeling that nobody can beat us. But then again, playing Boston and Miami can do that to a fan. :neutral:

I do believe we can beat either the Nets or the Pistons, and most likely whoever we would play in the Finals. But that belief is still based at least partly on the good hope, some knowledge and a lot of wishing that you mention. We'll have to beat a whoever we play next a time or two before I'll let my excitement get too carried away.

BillS
05-07-2004, 10:38 AM
I stay awake very well when my team is up by over 20, thank you.

I tend to pass out when the blood pressure reaches 250/140 because the game is close or - as happened last night - the big lead begins to fall apart and it starts to look like we're going to give something away.

And heart attacks due to last minute shot situations can wreak havoc on one's ability to see post-game interviews and participate in the forum. Really.

Give me blow-outs, lots of 'em, and no defensive lapses or sudden opponent offensive runs or anything like that.

Double digits, babe.

That's what I want.

Uh-huh.

Ragnar
05-07-2004, 10:40 AM
Surprisingly I agree :D

Anyway you left out the bit about Jermaine pretty much having a horrible game and he wont do that every night. There is no way he is going to only get 7 rebounds and 13 points as an average.

He dominated the Heat during the regular season so they doubled him. But the way Tins and Reggie were hitting shots I think they will not try to double Jermaine in the next game. Of course that will kill them.

Wasnít Miami the team we were playing where the young guy guarding Reggie sagged off him and that got Reggie going hitting for (i think) 10 points in a couple of minutes to put the game away. After he hit the first one (I think it was VanGundy) who was yelling donít you know who that is!!!! to his player. Help me out here guys I think it was Miami but I canít really remember 82 games tend to run together a little.

Snickers
05-07-2004, 10:42 AM
There is something exciting about a close game in crunch time, but only when it's a team that's good enough to be close. I don't want Boston or Miami getting that close.

I like blowouts. Especially in the playoffs, where the thing that matters most is winning [there are other things that matter, like food and oxygen. But winning is tops in the playoffs.]

BillS
05-07-2004, 10:56 AM
I'm old :cool: and I'm ready for my excitement to come from results, not the journey.

Once we get that ring, I'll be ready for exciting games again. Until then, bring me the brooms whenever I can get them (as long as they are our brooms, of course).

able
05-07-2004, 11:00 AM
I'm old :cool: and I'm ready for my excitement to come from results, not the journey.

Once we get that ring, I'll be ready for exciting games again. Until then, bring me the brooms whenever I can get them (as long as they are our brooms, of course).

Don't misunderstand me, i DO NOT mind sweeping, big wins et al!

I am just asking is it possible this team is even better then we think.

I Love sweeps and am of an age that tight games bring the ambulance services in the vicinity in a state of preparedness :)

Manuel
05-07-2004, 11:45 AM
Wasnít Miami the team we were playing where the young guy guarding Reggie sagged off him and that got Reggie going hitting for (i think) 10 points in a couple of minutes to put the game away. After he hit the first one (I think it was VanGundy) who was yelling donít you know who that is!!!! to his player. Help me out here guys I think it was Miami but I canít really remember 82 games tend to run together a little.

I think that was against Atlanta.

Ragnar
05-07-2004, 12:51 PM

I think that was against Atlanta.

Could be I dont remember. I just thought the coach was VanGundy.

indygeezer
05-07-2004, 01:18 PM

Amen brother...what you said!