PDA

View Full Version : Harrington, Van Gundy apologize for incident

TheSauceMaster
05-07-2004, 05:10 AM
http://www.indystar.com/articles/7/144446-5907-036.html

By Mark Montieth
mark.montieth@indystar.com
May 7, 2004

Al Harrington wasn't trying to pull a Baron Davis when he walked over to Miami's bench in the first quarter Thursday.

It set off a knee-jerk reaction from Heat coach Stan Van Gundy, though, and resulted in a technical foul on Harrington.

The sequence began when Heat guard Rafer Alston thought Harrington had intentionally elbowed him. Alston responded by slapping Harrington in the face, which inspired Harrington to walk toward Miami's bench after a timeout was called to explain the situation.

Van Gundy, who grew tired of opposing players loitering around his team's bench in Miami's first-round series against New Orleans, responded by shouting at Harrington, which inspired referee Dick Bavetta to call a technical foul on Harrington.

All of that had no lasting impact on the Pacers' 94-81 victory over the Heat, and shouldn't have a carryover effect given all the apologies flowing afterward.

"I owe Al an apology," Van Gundy said. "He didn't say a thing to me. I just got tired of people walking over to our bench. I said, 'Get the hell away from our bench.' "

Harrington said he apologized to Van Gundy at halftime and considered the matter dead.

"I wasn't trying to start trouble," he said. "I respect them. I would never go into their huddle like that. Everything's fine."

Will Galen
05-07-2004, 06:37 AM
I like these Pacers!

They will knock you down, politely help you up and then knock you down again.

Hicks
05-07-2004, 09:05 AM
I like these Pacers!

They will knock you down, politely help you up and then knock you down again.

:laugh:

It's funny 'cause it's true.

Hoop
05-07-2004, 06:33 PM
I thought Stan Van Gundy was real classy in his post game comments. He cracks me up on the side lines though, he looks frantic all the time. He reminds me of that Mario guy from the Donkey Kong game. :D

tora tora
05-07-2004, 06:45 PM
He looks like Ron Jeremy to me... I can't contain myself from laughing whenever they zoom in on him yelling out plays.

ROCislandWarrior
05-07-2004, 06:51 PM
He looks like Ron Jeremy to me... I can't contain myself from laughing whenever they zoom in on him yelling out plays.

I've heard that he is anatomically similar to Ron Jeremy aswell ;)

In all honesty though, Stan is a good guy and he was so fed up with the BS that went down in round one, he lost it for a sec.

No problem at all, it was big of him to apologize to the media though

MSA2CF
05-07-2004, 07:22 PM
Stan Van Gundy has quickly become one of my favorite basketball coaches around. :love:

BigMac
05-07-2004, 10:47 PM

No problem at all, it was big of him to apologize to the media though

The media doesn't need to be apologized to. But I do know what you mean. He apologized through the media. The media mostly sucks anyway. Anything said or done to them is most likely deserved and not worthy of an apology.

PaceBalls
05-07-2004, 10:52 PM
Ya every Van Gundy seems to be an amazing coach.

Watching that Lakers Rockets series I was amazed how Jeff called out every Laker play before they ran it and let his players know it (though their players aren't very bright and still messed up). That impressed me alot. He would shout High pick n roll! as the Lakers brought the ball up and sure enough they ran a high pick n roll.

But about Rafer. What is up with him slappin AL.. in the FACE!!! you cant do that!! If that woulda been Ron he would be suspended for sure. I hope he gets some kinda fine or something, otherwise the Pacers need to bring Pollard for some retribution.

There was some kinda altercation between Tins and Rafer too after the game was over. I never heard much about it, but it almost turned into a fight.

I wonder if those 2 guys ever had playground duels growing up in NYC.
Rafer of course is the AND1 street ball legend, and Tins probably would have been AND1 too if he wasnt in the NBA.

PaceBalls
05-07-2004, 11:37 PM
You know that Tins never even played High School basketball? He learned all that game from the streets.
I am guessing he was just a walkon at Iowa state or played at a JC to get a scholarship. I am not too sure. Anyone got more background on Tins and where he came from?

MistyRo76
05-07-2004, 11:46 PM
You know that Tins never even played High School basketball? He learned all that game from the streets.
I am guessing he was just a walkon at Iowa state or played at a JC to get a scholarship. I am not too sure. Anyone got more background on Tins and where he came from?

Tinsley went to JC before transferring to Iowa State. He started for the Cyclones his Jr and Sr years, leading them to consecutive Big 12 Titles and advancing to the Elite Eight where they lost to eventual champ michigan state (in what alot of people called the best game of the tourny). Of course on the flip side he was also the starting PG the next year when the #2 seeded Clones lost to #15 seeded Hampton in the tourny. That stung a little for this life long Cyclone fan. But I always enjoyed watching him play. I think that if Marcus Fizer had stayed at ISU for his senior year, him and Tinsley would have taken the Clones far.

I think that Tins has really stepped it up this year esp since the All Star break. Last night he looked great. A couple of TOs that he shouldn't have had....but he seemed to shake off the rust and was terrific from then on.

Misty

obnoxiousmodesty
05-07-2004, 11:53 PM

You can find a lot of background information on JT at his NBA.com bio page.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jamaal_tinsley/bio.html

Kegboy
05-08-2004, 12:00 AM
advancing to the Elite Eight where they lost to eventual champ michigan state (in what alot of people called the best game of the tourny).

Most definitely the best game, not to mention the worst officiated, on both sides. ISU's coach got tossed near the end of the game, and Izzo made a point of going up to him and saying as much as he was leaving the court.

Btw, welcome to the board! :wave:

MistyRo76
05-08-2004, 01:13 AM
advancing to the Elite Eight where they lost to eventual champ michigan state (in what alot of people called the best game of the tourny).

Most definitely the best game, not to mention the worst officiated, on both sides. ISU's coach got tossed near the end of the game, and Izzo made a point of going up to him and saying as much as he was leaving the court.

Btw, welcome to the board! :wave:

Yeah....I remember Floyd getting tossed very well. He did such a great job at ISU. I wished his success had carried over to the NBA. Although, he set himself upto fail with the Bulls. And I don't think that he was really given a fair chance in NO. Hopefully he will head back to the college ranks for another chance to be successful.

Thanks for the welcome to the board. I have been reading posts here for a little while. But I just have been so busy lately that I just got around to registering.

Misty

Southside_Pacer
05-08-2004, 02:10 AM
So are you a female member of Pacers Digest? Just wondering cause of Misty in your handle. If not, I just made an *** out of myself. ;)

So give us the low down about yourself. We've all participated in the age, and tell us about yourself thread which is somewhere buried if you wanna know all the dirty things about us. :devil:

And welcome. :dance:

PaceBalls
05-08-2004, 05:33 AM
either that or a everquest nerd :p

MistyRo76
05-08-2004, 08:52 AM
Yes I am a female member of Pacers Digest. I am 28 and live in Evansville, IN. I work for Comair Airlines as a Lead Agent. But I may be promoting to a supervisor's position soon. The promotion would require me to transfer to Buffalo, NY. If I do have to move, this board will become my primary lifeline to all things Pacers. I will in the land of the Knicks/Nets etc.

So I will probably be around alot from here on out.

Can't wait until Game 2 tonight. I hope that Tinsley's hot shooting continues and the Pacers's take a 2-0 lead into Miami.

Misty

DisplacedKnick
05-08-2004, 09:32 AM
The promotion would require me to transfer to Buffalo, NY. If I do have to move, this board will become my primary lifeline to all things Pacers. I will in the land of the Knicks/Nets etc.

Try Knicks/Cavs.

The Nets can't even get a following in NYC - the only reason they sold out one of their home playoff games was because of the Knick fans.

I have no idea if any people around there are still Clippers fans (they started out as the Buffalo Braves).

MistyRo76
05-08-2004, 10:27 AM
Well I am used to being to only one not rooting for the home team. As an Iowa State fan living in the heart of Big 10 country, I have to rely on a friend that works on one of the sports bars here to get the Iowa State games on satelite...or I would never get to see them play.

Misty

Tim
05-08-2004, 10:45 AM
Um, how about a few positive words about Al here.

He was being a good guy here too.

Anthem
05-08-2004, 11:11 AM
Um, how about a few positive words about Al here.

He was being a good guy here too.

No problemo. Al played an excellent game, and did a stellar job of keeping his composure. Rafer, not Al, should have gotten that T (a fact that the officiating staff in game 2 will be aware of).

Nice to have level-headed guys on the team.

Southside_Pacer
05-08-2004, 03:16 PM
Well I am used to being to only one not rooting for the home team. As an Iowa State fan living in the heart of Big 10 country, I have to rely on a friend that works on one of the sports bars here to get the Iowa State games on satelite...or I would never get to see them play.

Misty

Who could possibly like the Iowa Hawkeyes? So I do feel sorry for you in that regard. ;)

Although, they do keep sending the Colts football players who I like, ie Clark and Sanders. :dance:

Suaveness
05-08-2004, 03:40 PM

Misty

Who could possibly like the Iowa Hawkeyes? So I do feel sorry for you in that regard. ;)

Although, they do keep sending the Colts football players who I like, ie Clark and Sanders. :dance:

I thought it was Iowa STATE.. :o

Also, didn't Tins play for Iowa?

Hoop
05-08-2004, 04:15 PM

Misty

Tins played for the Iowa State Cyclones.

Suaveness
05-08-2004, 05:36 PM

Misty

Tins played for the Iowa State Cyclones.

Haha that is what I meant...

Southside_Pacer
05-08-2004, 06:16 PM
I know Tins played for Iowa State. But since she said she was a Clone in Big Ten country, which is Iowa in Iowa, that's why I said what I did. ;)